Guest Harry Houdini

A New Writer

Guest Harry Houdini   
Guest Harry Houdini

Who do you think should write the monthly title?

Since Neil Gaiman is back on the comics medium, wouldn't it be great if he'd take the monthly title? Keeping in mind John's great characterization in Sandman and specially Books of Magic, and the excellent Hold Me story in Hellblazer 27, I think Gaiman would create a new classic, just like he did to Sandman.

James    38

Peter Milligan would be interesting, though I don't know if Hellblazer is weird or hyper-real enough for him.

Morrison's two-part storyline was a corker, and I'd like to see what sort of thing he'd come up with if he was on it full-time.

It seems likely that a female crime writer from Glasgow will be the next Hellblazer author, though possibly only for a short while: http://hellblazer.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=962

JohnMcMahon    561

Andy Diggle has to be considered odds on favourite.

Don't have a real preference at the mo - would like Steve Niles to take a crack at a Hellblazer mini-series if he was up for it.

Shawn    297

I am very happy with Mike Carey writing.

But... Andy Diggle, Steve Niles, Peter Milligan are good picks.

My pick: Si Spencer-who writes a good Constantine in Books Of Magic.

James    38

John will you stop going on about Andy Diggle being the next Hellblazer author?

Whilst I don't hold anything against him, it seems to me that he wouldn't be playing to his strengths if he had to write Hellblazer. Diggle excels at enormous pyrotechnics and OTT action, not brooding horror and subtle character work.

I get worried that you touting his name about will give someone the idea to hire him and we'll end up with forty issues of John Constantine: Ninja Space Pirate vs. Godzilla.

wolfram    1

Grant! My man Grant has got to do another slice on HB before it's over. I love my psychedelic biatch. And this time, it best not be for two issues, either. I want a big kicker of a run straight up until this puppy's put in the ground.

Chant it with me, friends, my mantra: Grant on HB . . . Grant on HB . . . Grant on HB . . . Ohm . . . :happy:

sethos    5

Grant would be great, though I'd see him getting blasted by some people as he'd take it into Paul Jenkins territory again, maybe (that is, more new age magicky). I'd love to see what he'd do though!

Si Spencer could work. his Constantine in BoM is an evil bastard though.

I don't think Gaiman will write a monthly again. I'm sure it would help increase sales though :biggrin:

my favourite and most realistic candidate would be Peter Milligan.

wolfram    1
Si Spencer could work. his Constantine in BoM is an evil bastard though.

I'm surprised folks are liking JC in BOM. Everyone seemed to hate the jackassier JC from Azz's run (though I liked him muchly---but of course, it was my first exposure to him so I had no expectations). But mebbe that's because he's an alterna-John and not the real deal?

James    38
I'm surprised folks are liking JC in BOM. Everyone seemed to hate the jackassier JC from Azz's run (though I liked him muchly---but of course, it was my first exposure to him so I had no expectations). But mebbe that's because he's an alterna-John and not the real deal?

That's why I liked him. Plus, he's a logical progression of the character after being placed in a terrible position, whereas Azz's John was a dick for pretty much no reason at all.

wolfram    1
That's why I liked him. Plus, he's a logical progression of the character after being placed in a terrible position, whereas Azz's John was a dick for pretty much no reason at all.

He was stranded in Bush-country, isn't that reason enough? :lol:

*cheese*

Christian    728

I can't stand Steve Niles' writing. I might end up actually dropping H.B. if he was the writer....

Si Spencer would have to do a hell of a more competent job than he's doing on "Books of MagicK" to warrant writing H.B.

Neil Gaiman has stated that comics are no longer his main priority and he never wants to write a monthly title again.

Peter Milligan or Grant Morrison are obviously top choices for me, since I adore both of them so very much! But, I do wonder if Morrison would be able to find the time (I don't think he'd go "new agey" either) and if Milligan really has anything to say with "Hellblazer".

I'm of two-minds about Diggle also. He could write a really good John, but he seems to love that wide-screen format, which I don't want to see on H.B. Carey's run has been close enough to that for my tastes.

I guess, in lieu of a real answer, I'll have to nominate either myself or Gore Vidal.

Of course, there's quite a few problems with both choices....but it's the best I've got!

wolfram    1

I reckon after Seven Soldiers is all done, he'll need something to fill his plate, no? :)

I also don't see him going all out with the weird new agey kinda techno magick stuff we've been seeing. If he were to hit on even some of what he did in his two-parter . . . that run would probably keep me up nights. Those two issues were so creepy, they scared me shitless.

Christian    728

Yeah, that's what I'm really hoping for, that Morrison will take H.B. back to the political horror book it was originally!

Still, the problem is that "Seven Soldiers" is going to take at least 30 months, plus he's got a "Superman" maxi-series in the works for later this year.

So, I'm not sure how full Morrison's plate is right now. I know he wants to put a lot of his time and energy into "Seven Soldiers", and I'm not sure how far ahead Morrison finishes his scripts.

J. White    6

I'm still waiting for Warren Ellis to come back and try it again. There's always room for hope.

Now, I don't really care who the next writer should be. The people at Vertigo haven't really made any mistakes when it comes to the writers who've taken on the role of fleshing John out a bit.

Brian K. Vaughn(sp?), maybe, or even Si Spencer would be fine with me. The latest BoM was great! Hell, I'd even be interested if Azzarello came back to tie up his loose ends on the title.

Shawn    297

I could see how it would be hard to judge Spencer's Constantine since he is not the main character in BOM and is written as an antaganist who is a parallel version of John.

I think; SHOULD Mike Carey leave, Spencer would be good a choice since he is good at writing interesting characters involved in the supernatural.

Would Milligan even want to write Hellblazer since Vertigo is cancelling Human Target, could be some bad blood?

wolfram    1

30 months?!?! Man . . . I mean, I'm not necessarily complaining, as some of the Seven Soldiers books look outstanding---but---can't we take him off Supes and put him on HB? Come on Grant . . . you'll be tired of superheroes with Seven Soldiers, won't you want a chance to write something with nice pretty magic? Ooh, sparkly . . . *hypnotizes Grant*

:blink:

TheMojoPin    0

Joining the crowd, Morrison is my top choice by far. The man is easily my overall favorite writer, and he's yet to put out something I didn't enjoy waaaaay too much.

If it weren't probably impossible, I'd want Warren Ellis back on the title right this very instant.

What's everyone's thoughts on another American taking a shot at writing JC? Azz's run was spotty at best, that's obvious...but are there any others out there that might have the stuff to step up?

TheMojoPin    0
Well . . . Brian K. Vaughn was suggested, but I dunno if HB is his style. I haven't read anything of his outside of Y, though.

I thought of him...and of Bendis (for his old crime/noir indie titles)...but neither really has handled anything resembling a "magic" title or character, and I'd be worried that aspect would fall too far by the wayside.

Donnie Van    0

My top pick would also be Morrison or Milligan. Morrison moreso, because he's continued to impress me with his work, whereas there hasn't been much from Milligan that knocked my socks off (I liked X-Force/X-Statix well enough, but that's a different kind of book all together). If Milligan could bring the same quality he brought with him to Shade, The Changing Man, then I'll all for him.

Morrison's two fill-in issues were great, and he clearly at one point had a great interest in the character (just look at Hellblazer and Kipling from his Doom Patrol).

As a big non-fan of Brian K. Vaughan's Swamp Girl (err, "Thing") series, I'd prefer he stay far, far away from Hellblazer.

I'm also not entirely opposed to giving some young, relatively unknown writer a chance on the book ... though maybe they could have a smaller contract at first, for like eight issues, and then the editors can gauge from there whether or not they want to keep the writer on board for more.

Christian    728

The one thing about Vaughn's "Swamp GIRL" series that I liked was his characterization of John. So, I might go for him.

Bendis is a shell of his former self and would be lost on a book liked Hellblazer.

If we could go back in time 5 years, I'd want to see Ellis back. But, I don't today's Ellis anywhere near "Hellblazer"! He only cares about "Planetary" now; besides that he's too busy telling us how much we should love space and annoying fans by constantly attempting to prove that decompression is the highest form of writing to bother writing anything meaningful.