Sign in to follow this  
BobafrigginFeet

Constantine anime adaption

If there was one, the plot would be:

John Constantine, high school student, otaku, and demon hunter

goes on crazy adventures.

Chas: Do--do I look kawaii in this swi-swimsuit John-senpai?

Speedblazer    141

That's what I would fear happen.

They did one for Supernatural and that turned out boring, tidies, and sour compared to the actual series. A Constantine anime (or Hellblazer anime as well) would be filled with anime cliche after anime cliche with John not looking like a proper washed up bloke in a rumpled trench coat, but a clean cut gentleman with lush blond hair and a properly fitted trench coat and him saying some lines in English like "baby" or "party" and that's something I will never be prepared to see nor want to see.

They'll forget about John being more wit and knowledgeable of the dark arts and just have him shooting lazer beams from his hands and yelling louder then the demon he's facing.

The female characters would become damsels for John to save, the homoerotic overtones that were very subtle in the comics would be pushed to an uncomfortably gigantic degree, and the use of magic would be based more on Japanese folklore and religion (which wouldn't be a bad change of pace to be honest)

Also Japan strikes me as a country that wouldn't dare pull anything from the Hellblazer comics due to their strict rules and laws. Hellblazer would be much to raunchy and sadistic for normal viewers of Japan to understand or even handle. So an anime based of those comics and even the TV series seems too violent for Japan's strict guidelines.

There was an anime called Mushishi where it had a man traveling all across the Japan of old as a traveling magician of some sorts who healed spirits and helped the spiritual creatures of the forest he'd travel. The stories were more about the people he visited and him helping them out. It was a calm and cool anime to watch and it really reminded me of a more toned down version of Hellblazer. SO if an anime adaption of Constantine were like Mushishi with some elements being turned up a bit on the horror, the setting being in a seedy part or poverty stricken part of Japan, and John would be able to act as himself as the comics suggest, then I'd say an anime adaption is possible. But only with these elements involved and a few other things.

• Upvote 1

Gillian    56

They did one for Supernatural and that turned out boring, tidies, and sour compared to the actual series. A Constantine anime (or Hellblazer anime as well) would be filled with anime cliche after anime cliche with John not looking like a proper washed up bloke in a rumpled trench coat, but a clean cut gentleman with lush blond hair and a properly fitted trench coat and him saying some lines in English like "baby" or "party" and that's something I will never be prepared to see nor want to see.

They'll forget about John being more wit and knowledgeable of the dark arts and just have him shooting lazer beams from his hands and yelling louder then the demon he's facing.

The female characters would become damsels for John to save, the homoerotic overtones that were very subtle in the comics would be pushed to an uncomfortably gigantic degree, and the use of magic would be based more on Japanese folklore and religion (which wouldn't be a bad change of pace to be honest)

Also Japan strikes me as a country that wouldn't dare pull anything from the Hellblazer comics due to their strict rules and laws. Hellblazer would be much to raunchy and sadistic for normal viewers of Japan to understand or even handle. So an anime based of those comics and even the TV series seems too violent for Japan's strict guidelines.

There was an anime called Mushishi where it had a man traveling all across the Japan of old as a traveling magician of some sorts who healed spirits and helped the spiritual creatures of the forest he'd travel. The stories were more about the people he visited and him helping them out. It was a calm and cool anime to watch and it really reminded me of a more toned down version of Hellblazer. SO if an anime adaption of Constantine were like Mushishi with some elements being turned up a bit on the horror, the setting being in a seedy part or poverty stricken part of Japan, and John would be able to act as himself as the comics suggest, then I'd say an anime adaption is possible. But only with these elements involved and a few other things.

One of interesting thing that the protagonist of Mushishi, Ginko, almost look like John

(and yes, he smokes), albeit younger with white hair.

Mushishi.png

Speedblazer    141

too sadistic for japanese law? lolwut? i have never seen more sadistic, inhuman stuff then i have seen in anime (and hentai for that matter).

Well I mean what can be shown on television without a lot being censored.

Speedblazer    141

One of interesting thing that the protagonist of Mushishi, Ginko, almost look like John

(and yes, he smokes), albeit younger with white hair.

Mushishi.png

This was one of the reasons I got interested in watching the series. I still need to get around to it though.

an anime is what it needs! the shit i've seen in anime! they could outright do a hellblazer anime and pull it off .seriously. but yeadh i agree there will be some more japanese culture...and john would be less subtle with his bisexual tendencies.a LOT of anime have blink-and-you-might-miss gay moments with characters of both genders and flirting with the same sex and nobody bats an eye! americans need to learn to do this! there are lgbt characters all over anime yet no one in japan seems to make a big deal.usually the quality of anime is what's embraced and a lil' ship teasin' from the same sex (see yaoi and yuri) is usually welcomed.

hellbazer should have an anime stand alone

• Upvote 1

an anime is what it needs! the shit i've seen in anime! they could outright do a hellblazer anime and pull it off .seriously. but yeadh i agree there will be some more japanese culture...and john would be less subtle with his bisexual tendencies.a LOT of anime have blink-and-you-might-miss gay moments with characters of both genders and flirting with the same sex and nobody bats an eye! americans need to learn to do this! there are lgbt characters all over anime yet no one in japan seems to make a big deal.usually the quality of anime is what's embraced and a lil' ship teasin' from the same sex (see yaoi and yuri) is usually welcomed.

Well, if weaboos ever pit him against Lelouch or Light. That's silly. They're way out of his league. >:D

Well, if weaboos ever pit him against Lelouch or Light. That's silly. They're way out of his league. >:D

He will be alright...just ride that synchronicity wave the fuck outta dodge and don't look back

He will be alright...just ride that synchronicity wave the fuck outta dodge and don't look back

I think his laughing magician ability is overrated. His conartistry skills is what's more impressive. He's managed to outwit supreme beings and managed to kill one. He's always prepared, like the one time when Superman tried to attack John.

I think his laughing magician ability is overrated. His conartistry skills is what's more impressive. He's managed to outwit supreme beings and managed to kill one. He's always prepared, like the one time when Superman tried to attack John.

that's part of the laughing magician /synchronicity wave bullshit ability...really it's a handwave alot to explain why the crazy fuck hadn't been killed off for real yet, but the idea is an awesome one.i think it should've been explored more...however,certain authors made john seem out right disturbing and more than human in ways john may or may not be aware of..i was recently back in azarello's run and to me,john seemed out right fucking scary...like he was really,really ,wrong,off kilter and like he was...like an omen for real.really. delano had him more human (those are the two i am currently switching between now) idk.

in new52,it doesn't really come up much (is implied in justice league dark...if you pay attention .Like when he's first introduced,he's being weird.again).though in all honest? zatanna would know something was off and nick necro (who sits here divining the future in his spare time...which might be why he dumped those two in the first place) would've picked up on that shit real fucking quic,after the revelation (spoiler) that the damn plot for part of justice league dark in the damn place was him running shit from the shadows,(what the fuck,nicky...seriously i'm impressed ...only reason why john was able to even get him was cuz he's still got a soft spot for his sweetheart and keeps givin' him chances).Not to mention Giovanni zatara.

as for his abilities,its like 'conjob' ,john and constantine are NOT the same and are different personalities...and through the 'constant one',and from lady constantine..it's heavily implied that john is HER reincarnation...which would be fun to touch upon (y'know ,sexuality and gender and all that good stuff.Be funny if they looked into their past and found zatanna was a man and he was a woman) .

and milligan really dissapointed me at the end...the laughing magician should've went out with a bang,he should've fucked the muiltiverse or something..the meeting of earth-2 john and bringing him back was more exciting than the end of hellblazer? really?!

this is the guy that started a bar fight with the devil and fucking won guys..he should've like ascended to a higher plane of existance or some weird shit...or we see him dead only to see a new laughing magician (preferably female in homage to his predecessor) saying one of his lines ,lightin' up a fag and a set up for pure badassery to take place...say she walks into a bar where someone possesd by a demon is right there and she can see it and proceeds to say something disturbingly crypric

also...did anyone get laughing magician vibes off rose constantine? i kinda did.

anyway,bottom line,it's treated like a handwave when it could really be some crazy shit

• Upvote 1

dogpoet    433

Would it make me sound like a meanspirited cynic if I said that the only reason they'd allow a Hellblazer anime was so that Milliganhe who must not be spoken of could write John shagging loads of cartoon schoolgirls?

• Upvote 1

Would it make me sound like a meanspirited cynic if I said that the only reason they'd allow a Hellblazer anime was so that Milliganhe who must not be spoken of could write John shagging loads of cartoon schoolgirls?

I will never stop defending Milligan's run now ya hear !

: P

And probably.