Setting Son

Freezes Over

Black Flowers

Stations of the Cross

All His Engines

Joy Ride

Pandemonium

Lou K    1,051

I've always found Dangerous Habits to be a nice 'how do you do' to John Constantine.

All His Engines and Pandemonium are some of the finest tales.

Critical Mass is great but you should read Dangerous Habits and the Newcastle arc (can't recall the title)

dogpoet    430

To be fair, I'd suspect that any of the collections of a writer's first stories on the comic would be a good place to start. The only real exception is Paul Jenkins whose run follows straight on from Eddie Campbell's single story. They normally always make an effort to set stuff up properly, and fill in all the backstory the reader needs.

Apart from that, though, the single issue stories tend to be self contained, and as far as Ellis goes, I much prefer Setting Sun to Haunted. Another nice collection is Rare Cuts (I might have the title wrong, but hopefully somebody will correct me if so), which is a selection of oneshot and two part stories by other hands. Those are (mostly) great, and all from early on in the series' run, so that one would follow on from Original Sins nicely.

If I was just going to recommend one, though, it'd be Red Sepulchre: the first Mike Carey collection.

Christian    728

I'd recommend Rare Cuts as my choice. It used to be the strongest collection of HB stories, for my money. Now that they've collected all of Delano's work, I'm not sure if it still stands at the very peak for HB collections, but it'd definitely make a fine choice to pick up after Original Sins.

It looks like Rare Cuts would still hold up as the best collection.

Otherwise, The Devil You Know, you can't go wrong with that one either. A close second, as it includes The Horrorist, which ranks highly on my favourite John Constantine stories list.

Gwilym    330

Come to think of it, yeah - Rare Cuts is a fantastic cross-section.

I'm slightly more lukewarm about the TDYK arc, since it's mostly tying up stuff from Original Sins, which by definition makes it less creative and surprising. The Horrorist is one of my favourites, though, and that makes the book a great choice.

I still have no idea why The Horrorist is included where it is, though. The new numbered volumes aim to be a chronological collection - based on when it came out, The Horrorist should've shown up around Volume 9, rather than 2. I think they figured the 2007 release of TDYK was close enough, so they just reprinted that one to save cash.

Well I'd say to not skip anything but they still haven't collected Up the Down Staircase, How to Play with Fire or With a Little Help from my friends.

Not sure why.

If you liked Delano's run, I'd say get comfortable with the series changing a lot. And if you're up for some spoilers on the Ennis run

You will see nothing but the Devil pretty much constantly.

Also give Jenkins and Carey a shot, I know they aren't the most beloved but I enjoyed their runs immensely. Certainly a lot more then certain other writers I could mention.

Those final few stories from Jenkins will actually be landing in trade very soon (19th of January), and if the solicit is to be believed, will include the Hellblazer story from Winter's Edge as well.

I think this means that 99% of the original 250 issues :wink2: will finally be in some sort of collected form...

• Upvote 2

Those final few stories from Jenkins will actually be landing in trade very soon (19th of January), and if the solicit is to be believed, will include the Hellblazer story from Winter's Edge as well.

I think this means that 99% of the original 250 issues :wink2: will finally be in some sort of collected form...

250 issues Grip ? : P

slinker    893

I recommend reading them in order seeing as he's the only comic character to age in real time.

Hopefully this will fill in the blanks.

slinker    893

some of us don't count issues 251-300 as a matter of quality and taste, though Suicide Bridge was good and it exists in that lot.

some of us don't count issues 251-300 as a matter of quality and taste, though Suicide Bridge was good and it exists in that lot.

I know and as someone who enjoyed the Milligan run a lot I don't much care for that : P

A. Heathen    1,120

I'd have trouble rating last place between Mina and Milligan, but Azzarello would come 3rd last.

on consideration, Milligan's awaful treatment of previous female members of the cast will win(lose) out.

Except for Freezes Over which I recommended above.

You're not so out of step with popular opinion of the forum Hive Mind when it comes to Azzarello.

http://hellblazer.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=9166&hl=writer

(Must be due an update, but with a third division for everyone after issue 250.)

I'd have trouble rating last place between Mina and Milligan, but Azzarello would come 3rd last.

on consideration, Milligan's awaful treatment of previous female members of the cast will win(lose) out.

Except for Freezes Over which I recommended above.

You're not so out of step with popular opinion of the forum Hive Mind when it comes to Azzarello.

http://hellblazer.ip...=9166&hl=writer

(Must be due an update, but with a third division for everyone after issue 250.)

Honestly I didn't mind Epiphany and I liked that John finally noticeably aged. Also I liked the idea that since they were married had Milligan left the title and someone else taken over they'd have to keep her around a bit. Because I got really tired of the requisite "writer leaves, have everyone introduced with this writer put on a bus and never return, and think up random reason for last minute breakup with John for any girlfriend he might have cause we need him to fucking internally whine and moan about how he wrecks everyone's life if they get close to him." That honestly got really tiresome.

So Jasmine (or would you preffer Chong ?) I think it's best if you read it in order as much as you can and judge for yourself because you may not agree with the "popular" opinion. ; )

Christian    728

He only aged in his appearance though, his behaviour noticeably devolved, as it was one of the most obviously immature versions of John.

The Paul Jenkins story from Winter's Edge was a damn good Hellblazer story, so I hope they do collect that story.

• Upvote 1

slinker    893

Epiphany wasn't who he fucked up (he created her, so fuck it), it was Gemma and Angie he ruined.

Both were strong, compelling female characters--equals to John in his cunning and guile, but Milligan reduced them into the the very worst of cliches, weak & victimized. Boo hiss!

Christian    728

Yeah, you can't really mess up a character that you just created. I just found Epiphany annoying. The fact that Milligan had to go so far out of his way to prove why she was "the greatest woman ever" and the one true love for John was what upset most readers about that character.

dogpoet    430

The Paul Jenkins story from Winter's Edge was a damn good Hellblazer story, so I hope they do collect that story.

Is that the one with the Paul Pope art and the

mutilated soft toy

? If so, I'm with you: that's a really nice short.

Christian    728

Yep, Dog. That's the one.

That first Winter's Edge collection was such a strong anthology.

Bran-I guess the original poster can just take from this discussion that since Milligan is way at the end of Hellblazer, if he reads the books mostly in order, he can put off Milligan to the end. That way, if he hates it, he saved it for last, while if he loves it, he still had all those other great HB stories to read before he got to Milligan (although Azzarello, Mina, Diggle, and Milligan were all pretty bad runs, for my money).

dogpoet    430

Yep, Dog. That's the one.

That first Winter's Edge collection was such a strong anthology.

Even the framing narrative was great: I doubt I'd have bothered to look at House of Secrets if I hadn't been so impressed by that.

Thanks for your suggestions.

I will be sure to check up some of your recommendations.

I will be heading to the library to borrow some of your recommended books, and then if I like them, purchase them.