A. Heathen

The Hellblazer Afterbirth

Dave    265

Well since i already quit on the current book, i wonder how this one will be different. Seems pretty soon to reboot that book though.

JohnMcMahon    561

Stop trying to make Hellblazer happen. It's not going to happen.

As mentioned elsewhere, I've been buying the current incarnation monthly (digitally) but haven't read past the first issue but the constant references to Constantine as a 'Hellblazer' in the solits bug the fuck out of me.

How about throwing us old gits a bone and seeing if anyone wants to write a six issue mini or something featuring Vertigo John ?

• Upvote 1

A. Heathen    1,120

Given that Action and Detective are starting with their proper numbering, maybe the whole event is to return the long-standing stories.

Nah.

• Upvote 1

Christian    728

Is this going to be like a Marvel "reboot", where the book is exactly the same, except with a new number 1 issue?

I'm surprised that DC bothered to relaunch Hellblazer again, considering the sales figures are declining rapidly on the book. I thought this would be a chance to let the character fade in to obscurity. Someone at DC upper levels must like John Constantine, only, you know, not enough to make his book interesting.

I swear, DC looks less and less interesting with each of their reboots. Granted, I don't know which writers they're going to be using on which titles, but this looks like a really bare-bones line-up of DCU titles. Nothing looks interesting enough to draw me back to reading more than one or two DC titles a month.

Yeah, I wonder if this "rebirth" thing is solely to bring Action Comics and Detective Comics back to their original numbering, just so DC can claim to have books that reached issue #1,000. Otherwise, all the DC titles are going to be getting new #1 issues after less than 12 issues. That seems desperate, even for the relaunch heavy Big Two of 2016.

JohnMcMahon    561
I'm surprised that DC bothered to relaunch Hellblazer again

Scuttlebutt* is that they want to focus on their movie/TV franchises and that Constantine may be in line for a leading role in the next season of that Arrow/Flash spin-off thing with the Hawks and all that.

*I read it on Bleeding Cool

• Upvote 1

Christian    728

That's the one reason it makes sense, if DC really wants to pursue Constantine in other media. Making the comic book more readable might be a plus on getting people to care more about the character, rather than just putting out a comic every month for the sake of the character not being in limbo when the TV appearances come along....

dogpoet    431

Wouldn't they have cancelled the comic along with Welshblazer On'T Telly* if that was the only reason they were keeping it going?

*(Or whatever it's called)

Christian    728

Not if they expected the character to show up in other sources, like there was a plan for a "Justice League Dark" movie at one time (which may or may not still be on), and then he showed up in Arrow. So, they might think that there's still money in the character in TV/movie, even if his own series fell flat. I can't see why else they'd keep revamping the character for each of DC's relaunches, considering that the sales are abysmal.

I wonder if they'll immediately yank the Lucifer comic as soon as that god-awful TV show gets canned?

• Upvote 1

dogpoet    431

Stranger things have happened, but if the TV show's pants, it'll probably have a long run.

(They're redesigning the covers for the collections of Carey's series even as we type: "not much like the tv show, but the same Lucifer-ish"...)

JasonT    433
Someone at DC upper levels must like John Constantine, only, you know, not enough to make his book interesting.

:laugh::hattip:

Tired of DC making John their bitch...I'm gonna write a letter,a really long one and hopes somebody gives a damn.

I done started a script for em',just wish I could get my paws at these people and slap some sense into somebody!

dogpoet    431

That's maybe not the best way to pitch a script to a comics company, but who knows?

:biggrin:

• Upvote 1

I suppose we could try mailing DC editorial en-masse to give us HB fans what we want but then again they'd probably interpret this as a sign to put Azzarello on the book or give us a Gemma series written by Milligan because

um... they worked on the old HB series, so yeah, fans would probably like this - DC editorial

• Upvote 1

That's maybe not the best way to pitch a script to a comics company, but who knows?

:biggrin:

you're right,it won't ...

but really,if fans are the ones reading it,how about ASKING US what we wanna do with constantine instead of taking wild guesses and all that? no really,it makes sense.I would totally get together with some fellow fans and drop an issue one worth gold on their desk if I could.But no...

The problem is that people keep misinterpreting every aspect of the character and the world and this is what we get.I also believe that the sad truth that Constatine's character as a hole is an archtype from yester year and would need somebody who is an actual Hellblazer fan to break it down and get down to the core of what the character is.

I personally did NOT like this new Constantine or the one from JLD.The One from the Constantine show was closer,the one from the 2005 was excellent---but not our John,he was good in his own right cuz nick necro was ftw (actually no,just re-read jld and he was a whiny bitch but it didn't have to be that way.I do thing Keanu reeves is awesome though)

Christian    728

The thing is that Hellblazer was bleeding readers after Azzarello left the book. Vertigo kept it going until issue #300 with sales far below anything that DC Comics would allow to continue. When DC decided they wanted to relaunch the book, they didn't just want to keep the same fans as were reading Hellblazer, they wanted to create a lot of new fans of the character. To be brutally honest, they did, to an extent, succeed, considering that the sales on Constantine were numbers that Hellblazer could only wish for within the last decade of its existence. However, the sales were also pretty bad by comparison with other New 52 titles, so it's not like it was a total success. So, DC relaunched the book again with a new creative team and new direction and new take on the character. This version is failing even quicker than Constantine though. I'm not sure there actually is a market for the character anymore, not compared to the sales figures that DC is wanting from their monthly books. Except, DC has decided to save the character one more time, even though the sales are just not there.

At this point, I think it's a matter of DC experimenting with the character or the character just being canceled. I don't think DC has faith in the Hellblazer concept being marketable to fans outside of the cult following that the Vertigo series maintained through #300.

As much as I wish it was a case of DC mishandling the character and needing to listen to the fans, I don't believe there are enough diehard Hellblazer fans left to be worth it to DC economically to bother to listen to us. I'd rather DC just let the character go at this point. Each relaunch seems to be doing a greater disservice to the character from Moore and Delano.

• Upvote 1

dogpoet    431

The problem there is probably the whole "not an archetype" thing Lady C mentions. Archetypes are a lot simpler than developed characters, and can be shoehorned into almost any story, retrofitted at will and generally mucked about without harming their archetypicality. Characters who are sort of developed through an elaborate and (mostly) consistent backstory just don't work the same way, sadly.

JasonT    433
I'd rather DC just let the character go at this point. Each relaunch seems to be doing a greater disservice to the character from Moore and Delano.

+1.

The thing is that Hellblazer was bleeding readers after Azzarello left the book. Vertigo kept it going until issue #300 with sales far below anything that DC Comics would allow to continue. When DC decided they wanted to relaunch the book, they didn't just want to keep the same fans as were reading Hellblazer, they wanted to create a lot of new fans of the character. To be brutally honest, they did, to an extent, succeed, considering that the sales on Constantine were numbers that Hellblazer could only wish for within the last decade of its existence. However, the sales were also pretty bad by comparison with other New 52 titles, so it's not like it was a total success. So, DC relaunched the book again with a new creative team and new direction and new take on the character. This version is failing even quicker than Constantine though. I'm not sure there actually is a market for the character anymore, not compared to the sales figures that DC is wanting from their monthly books. Except, DC has decided to save the character one more time, even though the sales are just not there.

At this point, I think it's a matter of DC experimenting with the character or the character just being canceled. I don't think DC has faith in the Hellblazer concept being marketable to fans outside of the cult following that the Vertigo series maintained through #300.

As much as I wish it was a case of DC mishandling the character and needing to listen to the fans, I don't believe there are enough diehard Hellblazer fans left to be worth it to DC economically to bother to listen to us. I'd rather DC just let the character go at this point. Each relaunch seems to be doing a greater disservice to the character from Moore and Delano.

Ouch! I guess I'm the only diehard DC & HB fan on this board then. I know a lot of people will cringe at this but I like the fact that HB (& by extension the other Vertigo horror/fantasy characters & mythos) are in their own corner of the DCU but still faintly a part of it no less. I believe it's mostly a manner of the people at DC are idiots and don't honestly have any passion or love for these characters. Of course they're trying to make money but it doesn't seem like they care about what the fans want or respecting the history of these characters.

Anyway I don't think Constantine can ever truly be mainstream per se, but the character can potentially develop a stronger following. I mean I find it hard to believe HB didn't influence things like the Dresden Files or Supernatural, etc so the character's influence in pop culture is there, just subtle.

On a sidenote, I personally look to a lot of the stuff 2000AD publishes when I desire comic tales similar to HB. I'm surprised 2000AD doesn't get a lot of love in the comic book community since they heavily inspired a lot of comic culture. For some reason, I just find British sci-fi to be more imaginative & though-provoking than most tales spun out from here in the States. My 2 cents.

I guess outside of Dr. Who it's kinda hard for British sci-fi series overall to gain a large following in the States...

• Upvote 1

JohnMcMahon    561

I don't actually have a problem with Constantine being in the DCU, Veitch and Moore for example made good use of the universe during their excellent runs on Swamp Thing for example.

Actually calling him a Hellblazer though and acting like it's a thing - just, no.

• Upvote 1

Lou K    1,051

I don't actually have a problem with Constantine being in the DCU

Me neither. It's where he came from after all. But it has to be done right.