Sign in to follow this  
Christian

Christian    728

Ah, hell. I actually enjoyed this. I find that the book is actually getting better.

It doesn't matter much, since it's getting relaunched again in July.

I've found that the author curiously chooses horrible endings for each issue. The issue isn't so bad, I'm thinking the series could improve, then there's an ending that makes me not want to read the next issue. The next issue comes, and it's not so badafter all, then an ending that makes me groan. That's a very peculiar knack for a story-teller.

I enjoyed the art more. As much of a fan of Rossmo as I am, the novelty wore off, and he's just not a good fit for this book. He's still a magnificent artist, it's just not the right tone.

I just figured out that Oliver is an African-American man...

There was some nice characterization for once. Sadly, the confrontation between John and Oliver was badly over-written. There were some good ideas in there, wanting to come out from all the heavy exposition.

Fairie only figured briefly in the issue, and it wasn't as painful as the ending of last issue and this cover made it look. It wasn't a bad interpretation of that realm either.

Maybe the strongest issue of this series. It's not Hellblazer, but if the whole series had been closer to this story, I think I could live with this book.

A. Heathen    1,120

I thought it was an unreadable mess.

Where the art was okay, it was better than usual, but 90% of the time hard to follow.

The "foreshadowing" of the "exciting climax" was clunky and obvious.

Things happened for no reason.

Other things happened and whatever.

I truly hope the relaunch is a relaunch.

Christian    728

If it is, it'll just be even worse. I guess I've become for this book, in the latter days, what you became for the last Constantine series. I found the series horrible and unredeemable, but you said the book started to improve towards the end, in your opinion. I've taken that role for this series.

it's ashame.that preview with him and the chick with the blue hair actually had me thinking it would be good

i'm gonna be that person.

Nu52 constantine was actually better than this

(waiting for retaliation)

Christian    728

I'd have agreed until the last two issues.

Neither book is worth fighting for, there are so many better books out there. This one is low on my list.

I found that Constantine was lacking in characterization.

While this one has plots that John Constantine really shouldn't be involved in.

I'm not sure why Adrian thinks this book is getting worse. The first couple of issues (2-8) were just horrible.

Constantine just got better because it left that Cold Flame nonsense behind.

A. Heathen    1,120

It was horrible, now it's also a mess.

I did think the last issue was an improvement until the end.

And then this.

• Upvote 1

One thing that stood out to me for the first arc was that one issue (the Heckblazer cover one?) where Constantine was wearing the trench-coat again for some reason, that he hasn't worn since, for whatever reason.

There is a bit of a feeling that the opening arc was a story that could've been told in like one or two issues, but stretched out for longer than it needed to be, to do I dunno some world-building for John that hasn't been utilized much in the book after the initial appearance and that'll all probably just get ignored when Rebirth happens. Probably would've been the same "meh" story regardless, but a weak arc ending probably leaves less of a sour taste when it takes two issues to get there than five.

still really think the art style was off putting and juvenile for a constantine story.for something else,yes,for that? no

i think the problem was also this;

hellblazer was some dark shit-constantine and jld had dark moments.this one seemed to not so much have that.and i agree,constantine lacked characterization...but was someone building to it with that journey into the mind thing with the spellbinder issue.that was a really good issue.they were in his head and it showed an ex-girlfriend killing herself and nick necro essentially guided john through the weirdness(which that whole mess with his existence could've been handled better)...we also getthe only thing th glimpses of john's childhood and why he is tied to the cult of the cold flame.it lacked was the personal feeling that i like thogh,didn't delve into character as much .also he pulled a MAJOR dick move at the beginning i don't agree with ,the cult of the cold flame could have been better handled .constantine COULD HAVE BENN GOOD-but they raped it with fuckin crossovers before they could build on it.

Christian    728

Ray Fawkes didn't seem motivated when writing the book. The book did improve after the stupid Cold Flame stuff and all the cross-overs at the beginning. I think that going with a new creative team might have been the best idea for Constantine, rather than this total revamp, especially so close after the last revamp. It doesn't seem like Doyle really had any grand plans on where to take this incarnation of the character either, so sticking with the last incarnation might have been better, especially since they're just going to relaunch the series yet again in July.

The character was growing to be closer to the John Constantine of Hellblazer as Constantine went along. They just needed a writer more interested in characterization, and Constantine probably could have been fixed.

I haven't hated the last couple of issues of this series, but I don't see the book going in any interesting directions. It seems further removed from Hellblazer than Constantine, which I find is the wrong direction to move the character.

A. Heathen    1,120

It was a mess during that first story-arc, as well. The one about John's ex-girlfriend.

This writer's Fanny Greaves / Mary Sue?

It was a mess during that first story-arc, as well. The one about John's ex-girlfriend.

This writer's Fanny Greaves / Mary Sue?

agree...though i did like georgina and she would've been and awesome recurring character for john to work with