JohnMcMahon

Wildstorm

JohnMcMahon    561

Have a real thirst for some proper old school Wildstorm comics, there's not much available on Comixology which is a bummer - would love to read a chunk of Wetworks or one of their later crossovers like Fire From Heaven.

Christian    728

I remember the Fire From Heaven main series being written by Alan Moore, but that's about all I can remember about that title. If it crossed over in to non-Moore comics, I didn't read them.

JohnMcMahon    561
Wozza's storm watch !!!

Finished that recently, along with Moore's run on WildCATs. Want to slum it now, some of that old school over-the top WS craziness.

Team One!

Team Seven!

Backlash!

Deathblow!

WetWorks!

Christian    728

I remember Moore having a fun run on Youngblood....which only lasted for three issues, sadly. That's my full experience with Youngblood.

dogpoet    430

I remember the Fire From Heaven main series being written by Alan Moore, but that's about all I can remember about that title. If it crossed over in to non-Moore comics, I didn't read them.

Actually, no. He did write a couple of issues, but I think the rest was Brandon Choi.

Seriously, has none of this stuff been collected now that DC owns it all? WTF?

Lou K    1,051

I dunno. Judgement Day is collected but I can't get over Liefeld's art, even if Alan Moore wrote it.

dogpoet    430

I thought Liefeld had his own Image company, rather than doing stuff for Jim Lee?

Christian    728

Liefield had Awesome Comics, but it went out of business a while ago. I'm not sure what the status of the series published by Awesome are today, but Moore's Supreme was published through Awesome, and recently, Image released a new Supreme series (by Ellis).

It seems like the Moore Supreme TPBs are all out-of-print now also.

JohnMcMahon    561

Teenage me quite liked the chaotic nature of Liefeld's Youngblood, I wasn't particularly well versed in US superhero comics at the time so all the knock-offs weren't readily apparent.

Christian    728

Even as a teenager, I wasn't too fond of Liefield. I was reading New Mutants until Rob Liefield came on as artist. I was losing interest in comics at the time though, and pretty much looking for an excuse to drop the book. So, I just took that horrible change in art-style to be my excuse. I wasn't wrong either, as the New Mutants issues under Liefield were unredeemable. Unfortunately, it meant that I dropped the book before I picked up the first appearance of Deadpool, or I could have sold that in recent years.

However, I'll admit that, paradoxically, I was interested enough in seeing how the series ended that I picked up New Mutants #100, and then decided that I was going to start buying X-Force! So, I guess I wasn't that turned off by Liefield's art.

I'll also admit that teenage me didn't see any problems with Todd McFarlane, as I read his run on Spider Man...mostly for collector's reasons, although I never dropped the book. I was also a fan of Spawn back then.

Lou K    1,051

McF's early work was fantastic and he did some great art over on Spawn. I like how he let the page sort of frame the panels. He was solid, just couldn't write for shit.

dogpoet    430

Whatever you can say against McFarlane as an artist, he did have a real flair for page design and layout. It's just a shame that his figurework, faces, drapery (seriously, why in the nine Hells would you create a comic where the protagonist wears a huge billowing cape when you're barely capable of drawing that?) and other such schmutter lets him down so badly. You look at some of his Spiderman comics now, and he comes across as a sort of Howard Chaykin copy without the art chops Chaykin has to make his designerish fancies work. (Or maybe Kevin O'Neill, rather than Chaykin.)