JohnMcMahon

The Hellblazer #1

11 members have voted

1. 1. Your marks out of 10 for The Hellblazer #1. please...

JohnMcMahon    561

The Hellblazer #1

HLB-cv1-ds-35b0a.jpgHLB-cv1-var-d1bbe.jpg

“The Poison Truth” part one!

London may have recovered from Constantine’s return, but he hasn’t. Mercury hasn’t forgiven him, but she won’t leave him alone, and Swamp Thing is calling in a favor. And all the while, bigger things are brewing...

5 page preview on CBR

Much, much better than the Rebirth special. Still confused about the continuity timeline, with both pre and post-Nu52 stuff being referenced. Most importantly, John and Chas actually read like John and Chas. The main plot doesn't get much traction, though, so we'll see where Oliver takes things. My caution has turned to nascent optimism, I'm feeling much more comfortable with this than I was after the first issues of the last two relaunches.

Christian    728

OK, I liked that a lot more than I expected I would. I could easily see this being the next run on Hellblazer-proper, after Peter Milligan left. As for the continuity issues? I say, just ignore them. They aren't important. I feel cautiously optimistic.

It's not the best incarnation of John Constantine I've seen, but it does actually feel like a Hellblazer comic book for right now.

I could quibble, like with the historical simplicity. As if the assassination of Franz Ferdinand was really the trigger for WWI, rather than just an excuse. If it wasn't that, some other event would have triggered the war. Hell, somebody stepping on somebody's shoes and leaving a scuff mark could have been the impetus for WWI, considering the events leading up the outbreak. I'll just say at least a writer is trying for some sort of social commentary in the book again.

I'll go with a 6 for this first issue, and see if we can go up or down on the next issue.

• Upvote 1

Christian    728

Did anyone else notice that Hellblazer #2 seemed to be missing from the DC checklist for September? Is this book bimonthly then, or delayed, or has DC just forgotten about it already?

• Upvote 1

seventhcircle    572

I could quibble, like with the historical simplicity. As if the assassination of Franz Ferdinand was really the trigger for WWI, rather than just an excuse. If it wasn't that, some other event would have triggered the war. Hell, somebody stepping on somebody's shoes and leaving a scuff mark could have been the impetus for WWI, considering the events leading up the outbreak.

nothing short of a geopolitical powershift at least one lifespan before the outbreak of wwi could have prevented it.

JohnMcMahon    561

Yeah, enjoyed it, like a good issue of Hellblazer though noticeably PG. Of course Mercury lives in a hobbit hole and is starstruck by Swamp Thing. Intrigued by the time travelers too, fuck knows where all that's going to go.

Liked the art, my preference is always going to be for a scruffy old John and he delivers that but some of his young booted baggy eyed john panels are really good. This one in particular really grabbed me, like I want to read more about this sinister looking chap -

young_constantine.jpg

Issue #2 is solicited to ship September 28th.

• Upvote 1

Dave    265

Those 2 guys were angels right? Anyway, I'm liking this m7ch better. Turns out 3rd times the charm, after all. Maybe.

A. Heathen    1,120

Spot The Clue, with Zip Constantine.

(I saw the comic on a rare visit to the comic shops and totally overlooked it was a new issue. So I am not in a position to make fun of you.)

(But that won't stop me.)

Tomorrow I will buy the Hellblazer comic.

I appear to be the only one who didn't pick up on them being angels, what did I miss ?!?

I can't recall it being stated outright, I think we're just supposed to assume they're angels banished to Earth because that's what happens in Hellblazer comics. Time travelers, however, could be much more interesting...

Dave    265

it was the way they talked about "the creator" or whatever that made me think they were celestial in nature. It wasn't stated outright anywhere, that's just what i read into it. Has there ever been timetravel in a Constantine comic? It would certainly be a different way to go.

Christian    728

Sci-Fi John! I hope he starts using a teleporter and a laser!

Yeah, the whole fact that "humanity needs to be controlled" line or whatever seems to imply that the beings are not human themselves. They could be aliens time traveling from the future, eh?

And, yes, Marty McFly was an angel. He had the chance to sleep with his mother when she was young and hot and turned it down, what else could you call him, except an angel? Which one of us would have the same resolve to not sleep with our mothers? :laugh:

A. Heathen    1,120

it was the way they talked about "the creator" or whatever that made me think they were celestial in nature. It wasn't stated outright anywhere, that's just what i read into it. Has there ever been timetravel in a Constantine comic? It would certainly be a different way to go.

SEE?

Milligan Hellblazer comics DID NOT HAPPEN.

• Upvote 2

JohnMcMahon    561

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts, James gave it a soft-kicking on Facebook - couldn't really argue with anything he had to say to be honest.

seventhcircle    572

And, yes, Marty McFly was an angel. He had the chance to sleep with his mother when she was young and hot and turned it down, what else could you call him, except an angel? Which one of us would have the same resolve to not sleep with our mothers? :laugh:

At climax whispering in her ear: "I am your future son, you sicko."

• Upvote 1

dogpoet    431

At climax whispering in her ear: "I am your future son, you sicko."

*mopping spat beer off my Mac's keyboard*

A. Heathen    1,120

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts, James gave it a soft-kicking on Facebook - couldn't really argue with anything he had to say to be honest.

I quite liked it.

When my main complaint is the censored swear words and Mercury living in Hobbit abode, and the story set up is suitably intriguing... count me in.

I don't think they are angels.

Something more subtle.

But they could cross over with Lucifer.

As we're back in the realms of gratuitous cross overs.

JohnMcMahon    561

There's nowt we can do about the bad words but, yeah, it does do the creative types a disservice.

Hopefully they leave the writer to his own devices, even if it all goes down in flames after a couple of issues I just want to see where this Constantine goes.

Haven't been keeping up on Lucifer but rereading Carey's Hellblazer at the mo, his take is actually perfectly suited to the nu-52 or wherever we're at right now.