Sign in to follow this  
Christian

The Hellblazer #11 & 12

Christian    728

Here we go again.....

For posterity's sake.

Written by Simon Oliver. Art by Davide Fabbri. Cover by Tula Lotay.

'The Smokeless Fire' part five!

Constantine thought about taking an old frenemy's advice, but Paris has bistros to sit in and wine to drink. With a little patience and a little magic, things have a way of sorting themselves out. Unless Marid crosses the finish line first, that is.

A. Heathen    1,121

If Denise Mina's arc was stretched out way too thinly this two parter is worse.

Very sad.

As the Trump analog - from the (lest we forget) much worse Young Hipster Constantine- would say.

A. Heathen    1,121

Nooooooo!

Total shit.

If anyone wants these 12 wastes of paper you have 2 weeks to let me know.

Christian    728

#12 needs its own thread! How will we ever know if John ever finds the Djinn, if #12 doesn't get its own thread???

He never found them, did he? He just gave up and said it was impossible to find the Djinn and went back to fighting Nick Necro, didn't he?

I suppose one thing that could be said about all the preceding Hellblazer runs, the good the bad and the ugly, is that none of them had an ending that felt quite as half-assed and abrupt as this one. Not even Milligan and Azzarello gave me quite the feeling of "What the hell is this?" that I got from this one!

It feels like Simon Oliver was taken off the book earlier than he anticipated and as such he had no idea how to wrap up his intended djinn storyline with the issues he had left so he went "fuck it I'll just have Merc do it off-page"

Tim Seeley, the next writer, confirmed on his Twitter that he's just on for a three-issue fill-in but I doubt that he or whoever follows him will be very much interested in picking up the dangling plot threads of John's Djinn bender.

Christian    728

If they did cut him off, I can't say that I'm displeased to hear it.

Oliver had 12 entire issues to wrap up this plot. If this was as far as he was able to get with an entire year worth of story, it really was the editor's job at some point to step in and say, "Maybe instead of John sitting at a table for this entire issue, maybe you should try moving the plot forward a little bit."

This is a serial format, and thankfully, most comics have moved away from the slow-motion stories taking half a year with as much content as the typical 24 pages of a1980s single issue. Oliver wasn't writing a 900 page novel. He really should have been able to accomplish something in a full year's worth of comics.

Dave    265

I accidentally bought issue 12, I'll let you know how I feel about it in a Month or so when I get around to reading it.

Demon Chas08    295

Finally read the two. Its Denise Mina all over again except Djinn is the new Empathy. The arc should've been capped off at #6 then different story would've took its place. That plus the Book plot thread of Lapdogs and Englishmen molded into one giant muddle

As for the missing Abby, that other plot thread would've bern more investing had the DiDiot greenlit a Swamp Thing: Rebirth title so that thread csn conclude there.

While I was pretty fond of the first arc, the second one was the story that just wouldn't fucking end...until it did, except it more or less just stopped. I had such high hopes for Simon Oliver, I liked the Chas mini-series, but this was yet another swing and miss for the DCU Constantine. Can't they just give John to Young Animal, maybe then it will at least be an interesting train wreck instead of such immense malaise and boredom.

Still better than Ming Doyle's Constantine, though.