Mark

The Walking Dead

Mark    332

Well, I finally managed to pick up the first trade. For those who are sick of John going on about this title...I'm afraid there's going to be two of us now. Cheers, sir - it's every bit as good as you said it was. I owe you a pint for the recommendation.

I'll be getting the second trade next week, along with #13, and then I'll be along for the ride. Best zombie story, in any medium, in a very, very long time. The artwork is vaguely reminiscent of a more expressive, sensitive Steve Dillon (a similarly crisp storytelling style, with a lovely eye for gore, but his characters look so much more 'real' than Dillon's ever did), and the writing...ohhh, the writing.

Great, great stuff. The opening issue is, as others before me have observed, almost exactly the same as the beginning of 28 Days Later, but it goes in a much more effectively 'classic' direction from thereon in. I think I'm in love.

Mark    332

Ah well. Shame, really, because I love the art of the first volume. But it's so well-written that I can live with it. I assume once he's got into his stride, as you say, Adlard's work is pretty easy on the eye?

wolvy    57

Yeah Kirkman is great with this series. The Black an White really compliments it. Doesnt it make you wish that it was a weekly comic and now just a Monthly? lol.

JohnMcMahon    562

Yeah, we were spoiled there with the last two issues coming out over the course of two weeks.

He's a fun writer on his own stuff - Invincible, Brit and The Walking Dead in particular.

wolvy    57

I heard his Captain America was also pretty good, and so was his "Team #1" with Spider-man an Wolverine.

I personally enjoy The Walking Dead, and Am infact thinking about getting a Poster of one of the issues.

JohnMcMahon    562

Didnt know there were Walking Dead posters available, do you have a link for im ?

It wouldn't surprise me if Robert went on to become a huge name at Marvel - he's managed to create his own Superhero Universe in the pages of a couple of books, hell he managed to pull off a big alien invasion crossover in several books without anyone noticing that he'd done so!

I just wish that the Invincible trades were as timely as the Walking Dead ones.

wolvy    57

I havent really looked for the Posters. When i go to my shop at the end of this month I'l look around to see what I can find.

I heard great things about this book but never got around to picking it up... well, I got the first trade last week and loved it! GREAT! Then I was pleasantly surprised to discover that there's a second trade! I picked it up (will read this weekend!) and am eagerly awaiting more.

Kirkman's stuff is good! Though his Captain America was crap, his Invincible and Walking Dead are top notch and his Marvel Team Up is a fund read.

I recommend Walking Dead highly.

Mark    332

I got the second trade and #13 this week, and am still hugely excited by this book. It's really got a great rhythm going, and the cast of characters is well handled, especially considering how many of the buggers there are. Came round to Adlard's art reasonably quickly, too, although I still love Moore's stuff. It's a bit more 'Sean Phillips', which is ironic given that I still find Moore's work vaguely reminiscent of Steve Dillon, who of course preceded Phillips on Hellblazer. Perhaps the zombie gore will be getting toned down in favour of reflective tales of middle-aged lethargy in a few months?

JohnMcMahon    562

We'll take it as read that this is a spoiler thread from this point onwards.

What do folks think the two young ones are up to ? Reeks of a suicide pact to me.

Mark    332

Hmm...that's possible, but it seemed to me to be pretty strongly suggested that they're going to try to kill Tyreese. He's the main obstacle in their way to getting down'n'dirty, which is all those crazy teens seem interested in, after all...*

*Excepting that filthy rock and/or roll music, naturally.

wolvy    57

I thought it was funny when the two Lil kids. got pissed at when that one guy called him a "Brat". and then the girl asked him to be her Boyfreind and he was like "No WAY!! Your gross.. Go Fish."

I am thoroughly enjoying the book. Kirkman said #76 would be a good jumping off point.. Due to aliens, and vampire mutants. I'm also wondering whats going to happen to Ricks wife when she gives birth to the baby.. Because there arent any doctors or Hospitals around.. Though at the place their staying at now. It seems like its quite fitting. Though so did that one Nieghboorhood.

JohnMcMahon    562
Hmm...that's possible, but it seemed to me to be pretty strongly suggested that they're going to try to kill Tyreese.

Yeah but my gut told me that was a little bit of misdirection.

wolvy    57

Well ya never know. They could go an have sex, then end up getting killed by a bunhc of Zombies.

JohnMcMahon    562

Yeah, spoiler thread this, never venture in unless you've read the latest issue.

Told you it was a suicide pact!

Yet A-FUCKING-GAIN Kirkman delivers an incredible final page - though I think he's faking us out here and the girl isn't dead - don't reckon she's been zombified, goes against the established rules.

The whole issue just clicked for me - mainly cause Kirkman didn't leave that young Asian dude off in the boondocks, dug him since his first appearance and was disappointed to see him leave the main cast last month. The scenes between...um...bugger...I'm shit at names - the lead and the mad farmer chap - were brill, got a real sense of genuine emotion from them.

It baffles me that the guy who wrote this and Invincible also wrote the shithouse 2099 minis for Marvel.

James    38

Fuck it, this is going to replace The Losers on my pull list.

Do the trades go right up to the current issue?

wolvy    57
Yeah, spoiler thread this, never venture in unless you've read the latest issue.

Told you it was a suicide pact!

Yet A-FUCKING-GAIN Kirkman delivers an incredible final page - though I think he's faking us out here and the girl isn't dead - don't reckon she's been zombified, goes against the established rules.

The whole issue just clicked for me - mainly cause Kirkman didn't leave that young Asian dude off in the boondocks, dug him since his first appearance and was disappointed to see him leave the main cast last month.  The scenes between...um...bugger...I'm shit at names - the lead and the mad farmer chap - were brill, got a real sense of genuine emotion from them.

It baffles me that the guy who wrote this and Invincible also wrote the shithouse 2099 minis for Marvel.

I dont remember the girl getting attacked or bit by Zombies once.. So either she was knocked out, or something thought her trying to attack her dad in a Zombie like fashion, Didnt really make me think that she wasnt a zombie. The story is going good. I am really awaiting #15 to see how or what happened. Perhaps she was bitten when no one was around to hear her scream. Though I dont recall her Hiding any wounds or anything.. So who knows..

Mark    332

Err...haven't read the issue yet, but I read your post before I noticed the 'spoiler' warning. Ho hum...ah, well, I should be able to get this on Monday, if Outland in Oslo has it in stock.

Good call on the suicide pact, then. Well done that moderator.

James - Do it. Go on, do it. The trades are piss-cheap, too, and you'll have no trouble finding #13. One of the best books I've discovered this year, and I'd recommend it to anyone.*

*Except my girlfriend, apparently. She's not at all into her zombies, damn her eyes.

James    38

Fuck it, I'll pick it up today if they have it in. I got enough cash from my relatives at Christmas.

James    38

Picked up the first trade. It's astounding, though much of that rests on Moore's art. Much as I like Charlie Adlard, I'm not sure he'll live up to his predecessor.

Still, it's replaced The Losers on my pull list, and I'll pick up the second trade next week.

Mark    332
Picked up the first trade. It's astounding, though much of that rests on Moore's art. Much as I like Charlie Adlard, I'm not sure he'll live up to his predecessor.

Adlard grew on me pretty quickly, but I must admit to still preferring Moore. He's still doing the covers, though, which is another good thing about picking the book up monthly...they ain't reproduced in the trades.