Sign in to follow this  
JohnMcMahon

The Rules/Rankings/Old Forum(s) Thread

JohnMcMahon    561

The Rules

1. Be civil.

2. Try to remain at least a little on-topic when posting outside of "Down The Local".

3. Have a quick gander before starting a brand new thread - odds are someone's gotten there before you.

4. When being critical of any given product, feel free to be as damning as you like without stooping to personal insults of those involved.

5. If you're dropping spoilers into one of your posts, please use the following (minus the code tags) to mask them as a courtesy to your fellow posters -

[Quote=put what you're going to spoil in here][color=white]type your spoiler text in here[/color][/quote]

The above would produce the following -

type your spoiler text in here

And don't forget to say what it is you're spoiling!

6. Drop me a private message if you've any queries at all.

7. Don't link to any not-safe-for-work images without providing proper warning to everyone else (the acronyms NSFW, NWS and NFW are fairly well known). If you're not sure whether it's safe for work, it probably isn't. Don't post not-safe-for-work images directly onto the board at all.

Forum Rankings

Your 'Forum Ranking' appears just under your chosen Avatar and is dictated by the number of posts you've made.

Taxi Driver (0-100)

Con Artist (101-200)

Occultist (201-300)

Street Magician (301-400)

Exorcist (401-500)

Magus (501-600)

Arch-Magus (601-700)

Demon Constantine (701-800)

Golden Boy/Girl (801-1000)

Hellblazer (1001+)

You can assign your own custom title once you've made over 1,001 posts.

Old Forum(s)

You're currently viewing the third incarnation of the Straight To Hell Message Forum.

The URL for the first, which was hosted offsite on an ad-heavy provider is currently lost to the mists of time. Historically speaking, it marked the first time that cover artist Tim Bradstreet dropped in to say hi. Traffic wise though is was never very busy, seeing maybe 3 or 4 posts a week at most.

The second forum was hosted on-site by myself and can be found here.

The departure of Brian Azzarello as regular series artist seemed to kickstart a renewed interest in the title online (and, oddly enough, a drop off in sales in the real world) as was evident in the surprising growth of traffic on the then-new forum. Over the course of a year and a half it moved up to an average of 350 posts a week.

Loathe as I am to admit it, I suspect that the advent of the "Major Motion" picture was more responsible for the upsurge in membership than Azz's departure and of course the change in format of the DC Boards about 2 years ago.

And the fact that you run a lovely little forum here, John.

Pooka    766

You certainly do, sir. I was thinking this earlier actually, it's very nice and polite, with all that "Welcome back, you last posted whenever." Nice bit of manners.

Of course, then you go and call Tom a [over-used word]... :rolleyes:

JohnMcMahon    561

Sure if I didn't, he'd feel obliged to do it himself!

The movie was certainly a factor in increasing traffic but there was a slow steady build of Hellblazer readers who became more vocal on the site right after Brian called it a day.

andy    2

Strange as I post this right now there are 154 guests on this board and 1 member-myself. The great majority seem to be viewing the board index. Must be the attack of the Googlbots.

Mick    12

I dont like this golden boy/girl title. Is there a meaning behind it.

Tony B.    50

I told you to watch Thunderdome so many times that I better just tell you what this one means.

John's twin sibling, whilst in utero, was perfectly healthy. It was bigger and had a better chance of living than John did. The story (pre issue #100) is that John's umbilical cord strangled his sibling while in the womb, and he died while John lived. So then periodically throughout his life, John would catch gllimpses of what his brother would've been like. John hated him because the "Golden Boy" would've been so perfect and it made John resentful. There is also an excellent Dave McKean-illustrated issue (#40) that is kind of a "What if the Golden Boy would've lived instead of Constantine?" Go read the end of Delano's run. Or just the whole thing.

It's also integral to Demon Constantine and his creation and is much of the point of the Constantine in The Corinthian.

It is like John repeating his biggest wound over and over again.

John also believed metaphysically, that whilst in the womb, he had killed Goldenboy himself.

Delano took us further than even the John-being-an-addict.

John is forever incomplete, Half of twins.

So read Delano you tit!

Mick    12

Iv'e read some delano and love his work of course i fucking do, but it aint that easy to just pick them up,there expensive ass issues.

Iv'e read some delano and love his work of course i fucking do, but it aint that easy to just pick them up,there expensive ass issues.

Count your pennies and buy a train ticket to London, then you can read mine and then work the streets of Soho at night for your fare home.

We can take in Mad Max 3 before you go. :happy:

coralys    0

My thousandth post:

Happy Independence Day. And remember, Puritans rock!

Josh    6
Forum Rankings

Your 'Forum Ranking' appears just under your chosen Avatar and is dictated by the number of posts you've made.

Taxi Driver (0-100)

Con Artist (101-200)

Occultist (201-300)

Street Magician (301-400)

Exorcist (401-500)

Magus (501-600)

Arch-Magus (601-700)

Demon Constantine (701-800)

Golden Boy/Girl (801-1000)

Hellblazer (1001+)

You can assign your own custom title once you've made over a 1,001 posts.

Today I got rid of a custom avatar title that I didn't like. But then in its place showed "Obsessive". Interesting. :cool:

2482874624_56d11e6d0e_s.jpg