James

Two and a half years later...

James    38

So! Two and a half years ago I moved to Dubai. With no comic stores (indeed, no decent book stores) and limited internet access for the first few months that I was there, I stopped reading Hellblazer - and comics in general - and pretty much migrated away from this forum.

But now I'm back! Back! BACK!

What have I missed? Are the young Kondeks doing well? Does anyone still go to the Bristol and London cons? Have we been threatened with any more Constantine sequels? Any new arrivals? Have people left? Get me up to date!

Lovely to see you all again, by the way. I'm moving to London in a couple of weeks so if anyone (Kejoxen? Atticus? Ade?) wants to meet up for a cheap pint, give me a shout.

Atticus    164

Mark cut his hair. That's the biggie - all other significant events pale in comparison.

Glad to hear you're moving to London, a cheap pint with the London contingent sounds like an excellent idea. I inevitably end up blousing out of these events but I'm determined to manage it this time. Any Tuesday or Wednesday is generally fine for me.

James    38

Clearly I've not been paying attention to Facebook, because I was completely unaware of Mark's depleted hirsuteness. The horror!

Thanks for the heads-up, Husa, but oddly enough the US election got quite a lot of press in the Middle East. :)

Lou K    1,046

Are the young Kondeks doing well?

Glad to have you back, James. Really.

The boys are doing pretty well. There's a bit of news about Sam but maybe it's best that you hear that from my brother who has been so busy that he hasn't had much time for posting. He's been travelling for the job a lot and has a wife and two kids. Still doing kendo and all that fun stuff.

Myself, I managed to stay employed, for now at least. And Saturday I am off to sunny San Diego California!

Akhira    29

James!!! Welcome back. Did you have to go to a tiny Island for a Visa and get trapped in it for two weeks?

It's been pretty much the same here. I work in a German speaking Bank now that's all.

JohnMcMahon    560

I have no hair, that's about all that's changed for me...someone, please, pass me a firearm.

Aren't you making noises about heading off somewhere foreign again anyway James ?

Oh and Tears did show up a few months back with hints that Constantine 2 was in the works but that doesn't seem to have gone anywhere.

James    38

I graduated university and went bald. I was stabbed, too.

In this order: hooray! Oh. What?

Are the young Kondeks doing well?

Glad to have you back, James. Really.

The boys are doing pretty well. There's a bit of news about Sam but maybe it's best that you hear that from my brother who has been so busy that he hasn't had much time for posting. He's been travelling for the job a lot and has a wife and two kids. Still doing kendo and all that fun stuff.

Myself, I managed to stay employed, for now at least. And Saturday I am off to sunny San Diego California!

Man, I hope Sam's okay.

What are you doing in San Diego? It's not the Comic Con right now is it? I totally intend to make it there one of these days, even if it is just a frightening haze of colour, noise and human sweat.

My life's still the same!

Good to have you back, mister.

Hooray! Wouldn't have you any other way.

who's buying this cheap pint? where are you moving too? do you have a job?

You, for me, as a welcoming back present - but I should perhaps have saved that surprise for when we actually reached the pub. Wood Green at first. Not yet, but a uni friend is kindly putting me up on her sofa bed and I'm going to rustle up some freelance work while I'm down there.

Did you enjoy Dubai, James?.

Welcome back.

No: it is terrible. At least, once you've done your first year there and realised there's not much to the city at all. Terribly handy for cheap foreign holidays though.

James!!! Welcome back. Did you have to go to a tiny Island for a Visa and get trapped in it for two weeks?

It's been pretty much the same here. I work in a German speaking Bank now that's all.

Are you talking about Oman? Thankfully I was gainfully employed for the duration of my stay so I never did the visa runs. But I did go to Musandam peninsula on the northern tip of Oman a couple of times - the water contains phosphorescent algae that makes it light up neon blue when you swim in it at night.

Sounds like you know a bit about the UAE. Did you live there? Sorry, I think I remember you saying something on this matter before, but that was a couple of years ago!

Glad to see someone's employed in this big recessional mess. And in a bank! That's an extra achievement.

Good to see you back here, man. Hope you get to stick around.

Yeah, I'm going to make a bit more of an effort now I've got access to comics again.

I have no hair, that's about all that's changed for me...someone, please, pass me a firearm.

Aren't you making noises about heading off somewhere foreign again anyway James ?

Oh and Tears did show up a few months back with hints that Constantine 2 was in the works but that doesn't seem to have gone anywhere.

No hair at all? I remember you shearing your Bill Bailey-style locks a while back but have you gone the full hog now?

I was thinking of moving on to somewhere else - Hong Kong, Singapore, Sydney or something - but I now have a lovely and very talented girlfriend who wants to pursue a career in music, so a move to London seemed like a good idea (we toyed with NY and LA, but then we'd both be fighting for a visa rather than just her). Of course with the Conservative government, Conservative London mayor and 2012 Olympics there probably couldn't be a worse time to move to The Smoke. Never mind. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Red    467

I'm working in the same newspaper as two and a half years ago, still living in Oslo, and have recently bought a flat. Also, I have a new ("new" - it's been 8 months now) girlfriend. Who is ace. And whom I'm busily converting to the cult of Constantine.

Lou K    1,046

Man, I hope Sam's okay.

What are you doing in San Diego? It's not the Comic Con right now is it? I totally intend to make it there one of these days, even if it is just a frightening haze of colour, noise and human sweat.

Sam'll be OK. He's got good family surrounding him. :wink:

As for SD, my wife wanted to go there for a two day workshop for her photography business. I said hell with it, I'll tag along and we'll make a week of it. SDCC has passed, but we are going to a Padres baseball game with a park tour, hiking in Torrey Pines, going up to La Jolla, Balboa Park, the museums, couple good restaurants, Old Town, the zoo, the aquarium and a few other things I'll check out solo while she's working.

Spain    66

My country worshiped Cthulhu for few weeks after a football match.

And I met in the same weekend M. Carey, Venkman (where's him?), Ade and Pazuzu. Yeah the sumerian God.

Mmmh, and I got a signature of Glenn Fabry in the cover of the first Hellblazer issue I bought.

Also I am more focused on my job, then on rolegames (you'll have news about the next rolegame convention in Dublin), then on board games. And thinking about making a totem for myself, otherwise, how can I be sure this ain't a dream?

Welcome back, man. :hattip:

Pooka    765

I now have a lovely and very talented girlfriend

Oooh, girlfriend. Spill.

Avaunt    270

Girlfriend! lovely and talented too, happy happy, joy joy.

Sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy everything about Dubai, but at least you were employed the whole time, could have been worse. Could have been snow!.

Bilirubin    38

Man, I hope Sam's okay.

As for SD, my wife wanted to go there for a two day workshop for her photography business. I said hell with it, I'll tag along and we'll make a week of it. SDCC has passed, but we are going to a Padres baseball game with a park tour, hiking in Torrey Pines, going up to La Jolla, Balboa Park, the museums, couple good restaurants, Old Town, the zoo, the aquarium and a few other things I'll check out solo while she's working.

Love San Diego. Totally Jelly.

Go to Coronado Beach. Seriously.

dogpoet    425

I don't think they'll let you into Dubai if you're not employed.

Glad you had a decent time, James. The girlfriend had any luck with the career yet?

James    38

I'm working in the same newspaper as two and a half years ago, still living in Oslo, and have recently bought a flat. Also, I have a new ("new" - it's been 8 months now) girlfriend. Who is ace. And whom I'm busily converting to the cult of Constantine.

Actually bought and not rented? I'm a bit jealous, which is worrying, because I never thought I'd be old enough to think that. Are you paying am mortgage or do you own it outright? Good work on the indoctrination, by the way. I've started mine off on the Buddy Bradley comics. I think supernatural stuff will take a bit of working up to.

I graduated university and went bald. I was stabbed, too.

In this order: hooray! Oh. What?

http://hellblazer.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=1267&st=13040&p=296051entry296051

Christ, that's scary stuff. Glad you're okay. Just shows that kind of brush with madness can happen to anyone...

Oh, awesome! That sounds like a hell of a trip. Except for the baseball thing, but I never really got the appeal of any of the major US sports - with the exception of basketball. Hope your lady's business is going well.

My country worshiped Cthulhu for few weeks after a football match.

And I met in the same weekend M. Carey, Venkman (where's him?), Ade and Pazuzu. Yeah the sumerian God.

Mmmh, and I got a signature of Glenn Fabry in the cover of the first Hellblazer issue I bought.

Also I am more focused on my job, then on rolegames (you'll have news about the next rolegame convention in Dublin), then on board games. And thinking about making a totem for myself, otherwise, how can I be sure this ain't a dream?

Welcome back, man. :hattip:

Inception does bad, bad things to a person's mind. After watching that movie, my girlfriend informed me that I am, sadly, a stop-gap until she can get her claws into Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

What's this about Cthulu though?

I now have a lovely and very talented girlfriend

Oooh, girlfriend. Spill.

Er, I feel a bit weird about going on about her on here. I'll PM you.

Girlfriend! lovely and talented too, happy happy, joy joy.

Sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy everything about Dubai, but at least you were employed the whole time, could have been worse. Could have been snow!.

That's true. You don't want to end up unemployed in Dubai.

I don't think they'll let you into Dubai if you're not employed.

Glad you had a decent time, James. The girlfriend had any luck with the career yet?

She's organising a concert in the UAE which will hopefully bring in some money. Then she'll be heading over to London, where she'll look for work to tide her over while she builds up contacts in the music scene. After that? Well, who knows?

Welcome back, James! I was brand brand new when you left, but I'm pleased to have the chance to get to know you finally. Congratulations on the girlfriend and the move--hope you guys both find work in London.