JohnMcMahon

Swamp Thing

13 members have voted

1. 1. Your marks out of 10, please...

JohnMcMahon    561
So after bemoaning the fact that Anton Arcane was set to return in the next Swamp Thing arc, I was surprised to see that he acutally turns up as the antagonist in Swamp Thing #7 and #8!  How bankrupt creatively do you have to be to wheel Arcane out for your two-issue story ?!?

Swamp Thing Regenesis, the first Veitch trade, is now over a month late and there's still no sign of it on any ship lists.

On a more upbeat note, Funky old Swamp Thing Toys

arcane.jpg

J. White    6

I can't say this promises to be good story telling, but you never know. I'll pick the missing issues of the recent Swamp Thing I'm missing (I think it's only 7, or has 8 come out yet?)

It's ironic that I'm stepping my curiosity level up on Swamp Thing after Bad Seed. Oh and while we're at it - I used to have those old Swamp Thing toys when I was a kid. Ah memories...

Lou K    1,046

Don't know the future of this title, seems pretty bleak to me. I'll keep 7 and 8 for the Corben angle and add it to the parthenon of my Swamp Thing library.

JohnMcMahon    561

Swamp Thing 4.07/4.08 : Quick review - what the fuck ?

Was Dekkar a brand new character ?  From what I could make out he's a fallen angel now in the service of Anton Arcane.  #7 wasn't too bad, but #8 seemed to be all over the gaff.  Tefe's schoolmate, who we've never heard of before, pops up for no reason whatsoever and Dekkar ends up doing a pretty silly "mwahahahahahaa I am evil" bit before disappearing.  So the current status quo sees the Swamp Thing as being a little insane, possibly due to something Anton's done to him and Tefe is in school with only vague memories of her dad ?  Overall, really quite poor, and a further sign that this has been an inconceived relaunch at best.

Brilliant grotesque artwork from Corben though, especially the scenes in Swampy's head.

andy    2

I wonder if this title will even make it to #20? How long did that last one featuring Tefe last? I predict this one won't even beat that.

I get the impression that Pfeiffer had plotted out a story-line somewhat longer than the 2 issues he woundup being given and that the remainder of his opening gambit on the book was condensed into #8.

I think the scenes with Dekkar and Dear Old Anton were flashback but it isn't very clear.

I think Pfeiffer shows alot of promise but it seems like DC keep twatting him about (he also got pulled off Aquaman after instigating a major turning point in the series, only to be replaced by journeyman, John Arcudi, whose work I like but is very often the kiss of death to a series). I think that if he'd been given a couple more issues to spread his arc out it might have been a bit more enjoyable. I really liked his first issue.

Lou K    1,046

Yeah, 7 was good and 8 showed promise but it did go all over the place. Corben's take on Swamp Thing was cool looking. Dekker was a great character, too bad we won't be seeing anymore of him. Well, at least I won't kuz I'm dropping this shit.

sethos    5
I get the impression that Pfeiffer had plotted out a story-line somewhat longer than the 2 issues he woundup being given and that the remainder of his opening gambit on the book was condensed into #8.

I think the scenes with Dekkar and Dear Old Anton were flashback but it isn't very clear.

I think Pfeiffer shows alot of promise but it seems like DC keep twatting him about (he also got pulled off Aquaman after instigating a major turning point in the series, only to be replaced by journeyman, John Arcudi, whose work I like but is very often the kiss of death to a series). I think that if he'd been given a couple more issues to spread his arc out it might have been a bit more enjoyable. I really liked his first issue.

I really enjoyed his Vertigo Pop! Bangkok series.

You read Aquaman, Tom?

No but I flicked through one of his issues the other day and was thinking about picking it up, then I found out he was leaving. Might still pick it up, I like Arcudi and Patrick Gleason's art is a Doug Mahnke influenced treat, so I'll almost be like Major bummer all over again.

I loved Major Bummer.

Leafed through a copy of Pfieffer's H.E.R.O. too and was intrigued by that so I'll be scouring back-issue bin for that mother fucker too.

I still don't get why people are surprised that I like superheroes. I'd love for Hellblazer to move from the Gothiverse back to the four-colour funtasm of the DCU.

JohnMcMahon    561

Well Aquaman is generally looked down upon as a rather lame character so I'd imagine Rogan's question arose out of that rather than general surprise that you like superheroes. I enjoy a good superhero story myself, in fact the first Supreme Power trade is one of the better collections I've read this year.

#8 certainly read like it had about two issues of back-story crammed into a handful of panels. The confrontation between Dekkar and Swamp Thing was surreal.

sethos    5
Sethos, Jonathan Vankin (works as an editor at Vertigo now, I guess) wrote the Vertigo Pop:Tokyo and Bangkok series.

ah, I got confused. that happens sometimes. anyway: Swamp Thing 8 = arse. apart from Corben's art, of course.

Rogan    176
Well Aquaman is generally looked down upon as a rather lame character so I'd imagine Rogan's question arose out of that rather than general surprise that you like superheroes.  I enjoy a good superhero story myself, in fact the first Supreme Power trade is one of the better collections I've read this year.

the man is not wrong... actually, Griter and I have a running gag involviong Aquaman, and i know that you otherwise have an excellent taste in Superheroes (astro city, etc.)

H-E-R-O is quite good, surprisingly...

Rogan    176

still, why Aquaman is in ther JLA is beyond me - he can swim, and talk to fishes... for fuck's sake, he dated a female dolphin!

Christian    725

Oh come on! Like the JLA is really selective about who they put in based on ability or character!

Yes, any character in any company can be a good read (or even intellectually stimulating) with the correct writer. DC has proven this time and again. That's mostly because they don't take themselves so seriously. Marvel (besides "Defenders" and a few other titles), acts like their characters are all REAL, ICONIC figures; so they must always be written seriously. DC realizes that a giant talking monkey is a STUPID idea, and plays with the idea.

I've never read "Aquaman", but I always liked "Sub Mariner" at Marvel and those characters are pretty much the same.

I've noticed that writers such as John Ostrander and Rick Veitch have worked on "Aquaman" in the past, so DC seems to be giving some respect to the guy (even if all he can do is talk to fishys, as Rogan said).

JohnMcMahon    561

Has Aquaman ever had his 'Dark Knight' or 'Animal Man' style revamp ?

And in an effort to keep this thread on-topic, I see that the Swamp Thing : Regenesis trade isn't on the shipping list for next week either.

Has Aquaman ever had his 'Dark Knight' or 'Animal Man' style revamp ?

Well, I think Peter David's whole hook hand, Atlantis as a mythical city thing was supposed to serve that purpose.

A "darker" grittier Aquaman.

Rogan    176

still, Aquaman once gave Superman the world's greatest pearl so Supes could repay his debt of 1,000,000 $...

Rogan    176

typo. "world's greatest pearl" should have been the correct term... :(

Lou K    1,046

How is it Superman has a million dollar debt? He know Ted Dibiase or something? Who would try and make him collect? Ah, the big boyscout wouldn't welch, would he now?