Swamp Thing

• Please log in to reply
256 replies to this topic

Poll: Swamp Thing (13 member(s) have cast votes)

Your marks out of 10, please...

1. 1 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. .9 (0 votes [0.00%])

3. .8 (0 votes [0.00%])

4. .7 (1 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

5. .6 (1 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

6. .5 (0 votes [0.00%])

7. .4 (3 votes [23.08%])

Percentage of vote: 23.08%

8. .3 (2 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

9. .2 (0 votes [0.00%])

10. .1 (6 votes [46.15%])

Percentage of vote: 46.15%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,267 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 03:34 PM

QUOTE ("Spoilers For Swamp Thing 4.07 and 4.08")
So after bemoaning the fact that Anton Arcane was set to return in the next Swamp Thing arc, I was surprised to see that he acutally turns up as the antagonist in Swamp Thing #7 and #8!  How bankrupt creatively do you have to be to wheel Arcane out for your two-issue story ?!?

Swamp Thing Regenesis, the first Veitch trade, is now over a month late and there's still no sign of it on any ship lists.

On a more upbeat note, Funky old Swamp Thing Toys

featherweight champion, cheap to get pissed

#2 J. White

J. White

Eglantine Price's Bedknob

• Members
  • 963 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 08:57 PM

I can't say this promises to be good story telling, but you never know. I'll pick the missing issues of the recent Swamp Thing I'm missing (I think it's only 7, or has 8 come out yet?)

It's ironic that I'm stepping my curiosity level up on Swamp Thing after Bad Seed. Oh and while we're at it - I used to have those old Swamp Thing toys when I was a kid. Ah memories...

#3 Lou K

Lou K

POWAH!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,791 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 04:00 AM

Don't know the future of this title, seems pretty bleak to me. I'll keep 7 and 8 for the Corben angle and add it to the parthenon of my Swamp Thing library.
In the age of the internet someone's sensibility is ALWAYS being tested.

~ James

Posted Image

#4 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,267 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 10:10 AM

Swamp Thing 4.07/4.08 : Quick review - what the fuck ?

QUOTE (Spoilers for Swamp Thing 4.07 & 4.08)
Was Dekkar a brand new character ?  From what I could make out he's a fallen angel now in the service of Anton Arcane.  #7 wasn't too bad, but #8 seemed to be all over the gaff.  Tefe's schoolmate, who we've never heard of before, pops up for no reason whatsoever and Dekkar ends up doing a pretty silly "mwahahahahahaa I am evil" bit before disappearing.  So the current status quo sees the Swamp Thing as being a little insane, possibly due to something Anton's done to him and Tefe is in school with only vague memories of her dad ?  Overall, really quite poor, and a further sign that this has been an inconceived relaunch at best.

Brilliant grotesque artwork from Corben though, especially the scenes in Swampy's head.

#5 andy

andy

Gone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 03:19 PM

I wonder if this title will even make it to #20?  How long did that last one featuring Tefe last?  I predict this one won't even beat that.
HAPPY IS HE WHO RENOUNCED THE WORLD BEFORE THE WORLD RENOUNCED HIM.

From the Mausoleum of Timur the Lame

#6 Mr. Tom Willecome

Mr. Tom Willecome

You talk the way stupid people think clever people talk.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,633 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 05:51 PM

I get the impression that Pfeiffer had plotted out a story-line somewhat longer than the 2 issues he woundup being given and that the remainder of his opening gambit on the book was condensed into #8.

I think the scenes with Dekkar and Dear Old Anton were flashback but it isn't very clear.

I think Pfeiffer shows alot of promise but it seems like DC keep twatting him about (he also got pulled off Aquaman after instigating a major turning point in the series, only to be replaced by journeyman, John Arcudi, whose work I like but is very often the kiss of death to a series). I think that if he'd been given a couple more issues to spread his arc out it might have been a bit more enjoyable. I really liked his first issue.
SPELLCHECK IS YOUR FRIEND!!!!

The Bedford Falls album is now available. PM me if you want one.

What a bunch of pussies.

#7 Rogan

Rogan

Queer Eye For The Cam Whore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,483 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 01:12 AM

You read Aquaman, Tom?
Rule #1 to posting on this forum - don't take anything Rogan says personally, or seriously for that matter!
- John McMahon, Forum High Priest and "The Green Mountain Boy"

Anyway, this is a wonderful series, and I'm eternally in Rogan's debt for bringing it to my attention.
- Mike Carey, on La Bete Noire

"Yes I admit it I did occasionally think you came close to being humorous a few times."
- Electricinca, in conversation with Rogan.

#8 Lou K

Lou K

POWAH!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,791 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 02:03 PM

Yeah, 7 was good and 8 showed promise but it did go all over the place. Corben's take on Swamp Thing was cool looking. Dekker was a great character, too bad we won't be seeing anymore of him. Well, at least I won't kuz I'm dropping this shit.
In the age of the internet someone's sensibility is ALWAYS being tested.

~ James

Posted Image

#9 sethos

sethos

Savior of hedgehogs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,667 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 03:05 PM

QUOTE (Mr. Tom Willecome @ Oct 9 2004, 07:51 PM)
I get the impression that Pfeiffer had plotted out a story-line somewhat longer than the 2 issues he woundup being given and that the remainder of his opening gambit on the book was condensed into #8.

I think the scenes with Dekkar and Dear Old Anton were flashback but it isn't very clear.

I think Pfeiffer shows alot of promise but it seems like DC keep twatting him about (he also got pulled off Aquaman after instigating a major turning point in the series, only to be replaced by journeyman, John Arcudi, whose work I like but is very often the kiss of death to a series). I think that if he'd been given a couple more issues to spread his arc out it might have been a bit more enjoyable. I really liked his first issue.

I really enjoyed his Vertigo Pop! Bangkok series.
Pigfaced wizards must die.

#10 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,375 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 10:33 PM

Sethos, Jonathan Vankin (works as an editor at Vertigo now, I guess) wrote the Vertigo Pop:Tokyo and Bangkok series.
"I wish it were fin du globe," said Dorian with a sigh.
"Life is such a great disappointment."
-Oscar Wilde

#11 Mr. Tom Willecome

Mr. Tom Willecome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,633 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 08:55 AM

QUOTE (Rogan @ Oct 10 2004, 02:12 AM)
You read Aquaman, Tom?

No but I flicked through one of his issues the other day and was thinking about picking it up, then I found out he was leaving. Might still pick it up, I like Arcudi and Patrick Gleason's art is a Doug Mahnke influenced treat, so I'll almost be like Major bummer all over again.

I loved Major Bummer.

Leafed through a copy of Pfieffer's H.E.R.O. too and was intrigued by that so I'll be scouring back-issue bin for that mother fucker too.

I still don't get why people are surprised that I like superheroes. I'd love for Hellblazer to move from the Gothiverse back to the four-colour funtasm of the DCU.

What a bunch of pussies.

#12 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,267 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 11:10 AM

Well Aquaman is generally looked down upon as a rather lame character so I'd imagine Rogan's question arose out of that rather than general surprise that you like superheroes.  I enjoy a good superhero story myself, in fact the first Supreme Power trade is one of the better collections I've read this year.

#8 certainly read like it had about two issues of back-story crammed into a handful of panels.  The confrontation between Dekkar and Swamp Thing was surreal.

#13 Mr. Tom Willecome

Mr. Tom Willecome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,633 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 11:36 AM

Aquaman was my favourite superhero when I was 4.

I like the goofy ones best.

What a bunch of pussies.

#14 sethos

sethos

Savior of hedgehogs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,667 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 01:07 PM

QUOTE (Christian @ Oct 11 2004, 12:33 AM)
Sethos, Jonathan Vankin (works as an editor at Vertigo now, I guess) wrote the Vertigo Pop:Tokyo and Bangkok series.

ah, I got confused. that happens sometimes. anyway: Swamp Thing 8 = arse. apart from Corben's art, of course.
Pigfaced wizards must die.

#15 Rogan

Rogan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,483 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 07:45 PM

QUOTE (JohnMcMahon @ Oct 11 2004, 01:10 PM)
Well Aquaman is generally looked down upon as a rather lame character so I'd imagine Rogan's question arose out of that rather than general surprise that you like superheroes.  I enjoy a good superhero story myself, in fact the first Supreme Power trade is one of the better collections I've read this year.

the man is not wrong... actually, Griter and I have a running gag involviong Aquaman, and i know that you otherwise have an excellent taste in Superheroes (astro city, etc.)

H-E-R-O is quite good, surprisingly...
Rule #1 to posting on this forum - don't take anything Rogan says personally, or seriously for that matter!

Anyway, this is a wonderful series, and I'm eternally in Rogan's debt for bringing it to my attention.

"Yes I admit it I did occasionally think you came close to being humorous a few times."

#16 Mr. Tom Willecome

Mr. Tom Willecome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,633 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 10:09 PM

A character is only as good as the writer writing him, Animal Man anyone?

What a bunch of pussies.

#17 Rogan

Rogan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,483 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 10:29 PM

still, why Aquaman is in ther JLA is beyond me - he can swim, and talk to fishes... for fuck's sake, he dated a female dolphin!

#18 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,375 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 12:26 AM

Oh come on! Like the JLA is really selective about who they put in based on ability or character!

Yes, any character in any company can be a good read (or even intellectually stimulating) with the correct writer. DC has proven this time and again. That's mostly because they don't take themselves so seriously. Marvel (besides "Defenders" and a few other titles), acts like their characters are all REAL, ICONIC figures; so they must always be written seriously. DC realizes that a giant talking monkey is a STUPID idea, and plays with the idea.

I've never read "Aquaman", but I always liked "Sub Mariner" at Marvel and those characters are pretty much the same.
I've noticed that writers such as John Ostrander and Rick Veitch have worked on "Aquaman" in the past, so DC seems to be giving some respect to the guy (even if all he can do is talk to fishys, as Rogan said).
"I wish it were fin du globe," said Dorian with a sigh.
"Life is such a great disappointment."
-Oscar Wilde

#19 Mr. Tom Willecome

Mr. Tom Willecome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,633 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 06:45 AM

Veitch's Aquaman was dreary though.

Don't remember an Ostrander run, but his Martian Manhunter series was also woeful.

What a bunch of pussies.

#20 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,267 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 01:06 PM

Has Aquaman ever had his 'Dark Knight' or 'Animal Man' style revamp ?

And in an effort to keep this thread on-topic, I see that the Swamp Thing : Regenesis trade isn't on the shipping list for next week either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users