• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,242 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:59 AM

HELLBLAZER VOL. 9: CRITICAL MASS TP
Written by EDDIE CAMPBELL and PAUL JENKINS
Art by SEAN PHILLIPS and PAT McEOWN
Cover by TOMMY LEE EDWARDS
OCTOBER 15 • 328 pg, FC, $19.99 US • MATURE READERS
In these stories from HELLBLAZER #84-96, collected here for the first time, Constantine is drawn into a web of time travel and terror when he meets the ghost of Sir Francis Dashwood, founder of the Hellfire Club. Then, Constantine plunges into an arcane landscape where an entity known as the Rainbow Serpent intends to punish man’s treatment of the environment by clearing the earth of all animal life.
featherweight champion, cheap to get pissed

#2 JasonT

JasonT

Stressing over cat urine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,103 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:37 AM

Nice.

What with 'Critical Mass' being one of the classics, it's puzzling why this chunk took so long to be collected.

#3 Mark

Mark

"I know it's not as good as it used to be..."

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,759 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:23 PM

Hooray!

When/if Jenkins is done we'll finally have all 300 250 issues collected in trade, won't we?
"As we journey through life, discarding baggage along the way, we should keep an iron grip, to the very end, on the capacity for silliness. It preserves the soul from dessication."
- Humphrey Lyttleton, 1921-2008

"The Doctor remembers every Doctor Who story ever told. Every episode, Target book, comic strip and every game of companions and TARDISes that you played as a kid. The universe he lives in has no record of it, because paradoxes and divergent dimensions and the Time War have reset things... but the Doctor remembers and sometimes when he is sad it's because you've stopped being 8 years old and he can't run around the school playground with you anymore."
- some wise soul on the internet somewhere, 2009

#4 Demon Chas08

Demon Chas08

Con Artist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:36 PM

And In The Line of Fire's coming out next year, too.

A 20 odd year wrong has been put to right. Now if we can get the monthy to continue off from 300 (or start a Vol. 2) and make Milligan's run the new continuity bastard step child....
"Ha ha! Cookies on dowels!"- Phil Ken Sebben circa 2001

For Doctor Who, Torchwood, Bernice Summerfield & Sarah Jane reviews go to: www.doctorwhoreviews.co.uk

For Doctor Who Chronology: http://drwhocontinut...e.blogspot.com/

#5 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,310 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:29 PM

It's a bigger book too, collecting 12 issues.

We always figured that Vertigo never bothered to collect the Jenkins run due to poor sales on the book in monthly format.
Obviously, DC has an ingenious plan to increase the sales of their TPBs in place, seeing as how they're going back and finding actually good series to collect (Ostrander's Spectre, Martian Manhunter, Delano's Animal Man). The plan all along has been to make it so that fans no longer care about any of the characters DC is publishing in their monthly titles, so they'll gladly buy these TPBs to remember when the DC characters were actually well-written.
See? Constantine is awful. Fans are unhappy. Well, they'll be more than happy to get the forgotten issues of Hellblazer. Problem solved for DC.
"I wish it were fin du globe," said Dorian with a sigh.
"Life is such a great disappointment."
-Oscar Wilde

#6 Lou K

Lou K

POWAH!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,747 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 03:19 PM

View PostJasonT, on 17 June 2014 - 09:37 AM, said:

Nice.

What with 'Critical Mass' being one of the classics, it's puzzling why this chunk took so long to be collected.

Even more puzzling why one of the best HB stories ever written isn't even mentioned in the solit.  :laugh:
In the age of the internet someone's sensibility is ALWAYS being tested.

~ James

Posted Image

#7 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,242 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 12:31 PM

I now have a copy of Critical Mass that I can stick on my book shelf, fair play DC!

As an aside, the comic shop was half-full of young folk which is obviously a good sign for that particular outlet and probably the industry as a whole but it left me feeling really old.
featherweight champion, cheap to get pissed

#8 seventhcircle

seventhcircle

living circlejerk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,287 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 03:18 PM

View PostJohnMcMahon, on 16 October 2014 - 12:31 PM, said:

I now have a copy of Critical Mass that I can stick on my book shelf, fair play DC!

As an aside, the comic shop was half-full of young folk which is obviously a good sign for that particular outlet and probably the industry as a whole but it left me feeling really old.
i never go to comic shops much, because it is so fucking expensive a hobby and i always want to buy more then my monthly budget could handle. once i stood there for like 15min in front of the complete sandman saga just making a list of pros and cons in my head. so maybe normally young people don't visit comic shops cause they need the money for safe sex, drugs and rocknroll dubstep concerts.

Of cause you keep going on. We.. we all keep going on. If we stop laughing, than they have won.
[Alfonse. french-german Comedian, 17.11.15]

#9 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,310 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 09:53 PM

Yeah. It's mainly factory workers who visit the comic shop I go to each week. Around my age or older, mostly.
Of course, I do live in Flint. It's probably not representative of the demographics who visit comic shops in places where every one with prospects for a future haven't left to find hope in better places.
There is another comic store across town that seems to cater more to younger comic fans, probably because the owners are early 30s or younger, rather than retired GM employees, like at the store I visit. That other shop doesn't stock much in the way of back issues though.
"I wish it were fin du globe," said Dorian with a sigh.
"Life is such a great disappointment."
-Oscar Wilde

#10 Red

Red

All your capital are belong to us

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,239 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 11:01 AM

My local comics shop is flowing over with teens. I would guess I'm twice the median age for their customers. That's a very good thing, in my book, means that comics are going strong.
Capital is dead labor, which, vampire-like, lives only by sucking living labor, and lives the more, the more labor it sucks.

#11 Rogan

Rogan

Queer Eye For The Cam Whore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,483 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 11:36 PM

Man, so will we ever find out who died/left DC so that the moratorium on Paul Jenkins finally got lifted?
Rule #1 to posting on this forum - don't take anything Rogan says personally, or seriously for that matter!
- John McMahon, Forum High Priest and "The Green Mountain Boy"

Anyway, this is a wonderful series, and I'm eternally in Rogan's debt for bringing it to my attention.
- Mike Carey, on La Bete Noire

"Yes I admit it I did occasionally think you came close to being humorous a few times."
- Electricinca, in conversation with Rogan.

#12 Dave

Dave

Con Artist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 12:33 AM

They must not have wanted to make the move to California and took the buyout.
I'm in no condition to drive...wait! I shouldn't listen to myself, I'm drunk.

#13 slinker

slinker

Dr. Orpheus!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,444 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 11:27 AM

I'd forgotten how much Campbell set Jenkins up w/Warped Notions bleeding into Dreamtime/Dangerous Ground. Like Jenkins had to finish up Campbell's bit before going down his own road.
When you are a step ahead of everybody else, they call you a genius. When you are two steps ahead, they say you're crazy.

"If you can't say 'Fuck,' you can't say, 'Fuck the government.'" - Lenny Bruce

#14 A. Heathen

A. Heathen

The wisdom of Dick (Solomon)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,307 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 11:45 AM

http://theartofseanp...spot.co.uk/?m=1
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
"But that's the whole point, it's supernatural, these things happen.
It's not supposed to be realistic in that sense."

#15 Shawn

Shawn

conjurer of cheap tricks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 01:52 PM

View PostA. Heathen, on 31 October 2014 - 11:45 AM, said:

DAMN! That's awesome*. The more I see of Phillips' Constantine the more I feel like that is the definitive version, for me anyway. With a neck and neck near tie with Bradstreet.

*so good in fact it's now my profile pic

Edited by Shawn, 31 October 2014 - 01:55 PM.

We have more possibilities available in each moment than we realize. - Thich Nhat Hanh

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity - Edgar Allan Poe

https://twitter.com/shawn1163

#16 dogpoet

dogpoet

From Hell's heart I strike at thee...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,653 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 07:25 PM

Jenkins an fuck off: I feel Milligan wrote the definitive Constantine.
(Not really I don't: winky.)

#17 Rogan

Rogan

Queer Eye For The Cam Whore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,483 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 07:33 PM

Wonderful to see a brand new J.C. by Sean Phillips, whose immense talent only grew during the past two decades. Would love to see how he'd handle the interiors now.
Rule #1 to posting on this forum - don't take anything Rogan says personally, or seriously for that matter!
- John McMahon, Forum High Priest and "The Green Mountain Boy"

Anyway, this is a wonderful series, and I'm eternally in Rogan's debt for bringing it to my attention.
- Mike Carey, on La Bete Noire

"Yes I admit it I did occasionally think you came close to being humorous a few times."
- Electricinca, in conversation with Rogan.

#18 seventhcircle

seventhcircle

living circlejerk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,287 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 07:34 PM

View Postdogpoet, on 02 November 2014 - 07:25 PM, said:

Jenkins an fuck off: I feel Milligan wrote the definitive Constantine.
(Not really I don't: winky.)

for a heartbeat you successfully trolled me :shrug: i obviously need soemthing to chill the fuck out.

Of cause you keep going on. We.. we all keep going on. If we stop laughing, than they have won.
[Alfonse. french-german Comedian, 17.11.15]

#19 Maritimus

Maritimus

Street Magician

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 02:51 AM

Couldn't resist buying that beautiful Critical Mass myself, such a great package of stories, great new cover and Sean Phillips' art very, very close to being the defining look for John, or at least the mood of Hellblazer. I love that wacky Delano story. Never read the Campbell stuff, and it turned out to be really enjouable (again, Sean Phillips never hurts). It seems like the death of the real John gave us the resurrection of Hellblazer in a sense, with all those trades available now.

#20 Ixnay by Night

Ixnay by Night

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 01:47 AM

The Jenkins run, particularly "Critical Mass", has always been my high-standard for Constantine stories.  But wow, a lot of fans were *really* down on Jenkins when the issues were being released, what with him following behind Ennis and the fans wanting Hellblazer to "Preacher" that shit back up.  Still, "Critical Mass" is just about a perfect story-arc, and Sean Phillips draws John like nobody else.  Great, great stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users