eatingarbyseatingarbyseatingarbys

#22 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,251 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 08:59 AM

Forgot that [ Spoiler : The Phantom Stranger ] plays a small, but significant, roll in Critical Mass.
featherweight champion, cheap to get pissed

#23 Demon Chas08

Demon Chas08

Con Artist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 03:43 PM

View PostJohnMcMahon, on 18 November 2014 - 08:59 AM, said:

Forgot that [ Spoiler : The Phantom Stranger ] plays a small, but significant, roll in Critical Mass.

And all for the balance
"Ha ha! Cookies on dowels!"- Phil Ken Sebben circa 2001

For Doctor Who, Torchwood, Bernice Summerfield & Sarah Jane reviews go to: www.doctorwhoreviews.co.uk

For Doctor Who Chronology: http://drwhocontinut...e.blogspot.com/

#24 Gwilym

Gwilym

Nick Necro's Boyfriend

• Members
  • 628 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 02:09 AM

View Postslinker, on 29 October 2014 - 11:27 AM, said:

I'd forgotten how much Campbell set Jenkins up w/Warped Notions bleeding into Dreamtime/Dangerous Ground. Like Jenkins had to finish up Campbell's bit before going down his own road.

This really surprised me! I kind of powered my way through the first half of the collection, having already read the Slag story (lots) and wanting to get through Campbell's four-parter so I could see the fabled Jenkins episodes. It was almost an anticlimax when it was such a direct continuation of the Campbell story. This must be the only time a new HB writer's done this - every other one has treated their tenure almost like a reboot, and started with a clear statement of intent.

As a result I decided I'd given short shrift to the first half of the collection, and kind of squandered it, so I re-read the whole Warped Notions story more slowly. I enjoyed it a lot more this way. I really love the ambiguity about how righteous the ending is or isn't, and I think the overall plot could/should be loosely adapted to the TV show (probably with someone other than Dashwood).

So now I've got Dreamtime and Dangerous Ground to re-read, before finally getting onto Critical Mass.
eatingarbyseatingarbyseatingarbys

#25 Carnivorous Vulgaris

Carnivorous Vulgaris

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 03:02 PM

Just finished reading the Critical Mass TPB, having never read any of Jenkins stuff before.  It's fantastic and a it's mystery* why DC left it so long to republish the story considering how it compares to some of what preceded and succeeded it.

* Yes, yes, as Someone upthread mentioned, sales figures of the monthly trades were probably poor.
*"Thank you", I said as I left, "I'll be on my way.  I see how it is.  We are all bourgeois now.  And somehow I'll raise myself through the world.  I'm free to choose...*

#26 Speedblazer

Speedblazer

Street Magician

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 02:28 AM

I finally got the Jenkins run. I always loved the art style of Phillips the most.

#27 Mikkomallikas

Mikkomallikas

Constanteen PG15

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 07:20 PM

How to Play with Fire TPB is finally out and my collection is complete. Isn't it beautiful? :wink2:

Only one problem: I might have to stick my copy of issue number #229 in there, 'cause as of now it is the only issue left uncollected. But it belongs in the long box with all the other issues. What do I do? It's driving me crazy!

First world problems..

Posted Image

#28 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,347 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 07:23 PM

Yeah, I find it so weird that every issue of Hellblazer has been collected now, except for that one issue. It really is bizarre. Vertigo must be going to go back and rerelease the Hellblazer TPBs in another edition again, and stick that issue in one of the collections.
I just own the entire series as individual issues anyway, not in book format.
"I wish it were fin du globe," said Dorian with a sigh.
"Life is such a great disappointment."
-Oscar Wilde

#29 Mikkomallikas

Mikkomallikas

Constanteen PG15

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 07:41 PM

Yeah, I also own the entire series as individual issues. Guess I'll have to buy another copy of #229. Both collections must. Be. Complete.

No way I'm placing the new edition TPB there in between those beautiful old ones when it comes out. Just look at those new editions on the left, they are just ugly.

Like I said, first world problems.  

#30 A. Heathen

A. Heathen

The wisdom of Dick (Solomon)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,312 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 10:20 PM

Nice. Are you offloading your older trades?
I decided that in general my collection of the comics is the one I care for.
I might well offload my trades when I sort out my comics.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
"But that's the whole point, it's supernatural, these things happen.
It's not supposed to be realistic in that sense."

#31 Mikkomallikas

Mikkomallikas

Constanteen PG15

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 03:32 PM

View PostA. Heathen, on 22 January 2016 - 10:20 PM, said:

Nice. Are you offloading your older trades?
I decided that in general my collection of the comics is the one I care for.
I might well offload my trades when I sort out my comics.

No way, I'm keeping the old trades. Some of the out of print ones are worth something nowadays.

Only bought the new ones to have the collected Jenkins run and the extra material in the Delano trades. And like I said, the new ones are just ugly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users