- - - - -

A New Writer

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Harry Houdini_*

Guest_Harry Houdini_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2005 - 06:01 PM

Who do you think should write the monthly title?

Since Neil Gaiman is back on the comics medium, wouldn't it be great if he'd take the monthly title? Keeping in mind John's great characterization in Sandman and specially Books of Magic, and the excellent Hold Me story in Hellblazer 27, I think Gaiman would create a new classic, just like he did to Sandman.

#2 James

James

Chinese bakery

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,706 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 06:32 PM

Peter Milligan would be interesting, though I don't know if Hellblazer is weird or hyper-real enough for him.

Morrison's two-part storyline was a corker, and I'd like to see what sort of thing he'd come up with if he was on it full-time.

It seems likely that a female crime writer from Glasgow will be the next Hellblazer author, though possibly only for a short while: http://hellblazer.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=962

#3 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,219 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 07:30 PM

Andy Diggle has to be considered odds on favourite.

Don't have a real preference at the mo - would like Steve Niles to take a crack at a Hellblazer mini-series if he was up for it.
featherweight champion, cheap to get pissed

#4 Shawn

Shawn

conjurer of cheap tricks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 08:08 PM

I am very happy with Mike Carey writing.

But... Andy Diggle, Steve Niles, Peter Milligan are good picks.

My pick:  Si Spencer-who writes a good Constantine in Books Of Magic.
We have more possibilities available in each moment than we realize. - Thich Nhat Hanh

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity - Edgar Allan Poe

https://twitter.com/shawn1163

#5 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,219 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 09:31 PM

Ooooooo....good call on Spencer.

#6 James

James

Chinese bakery

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,706 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 10:28 PM

John will you stop going on about Andy Diggle being the next Hellblazer author?

Whilst I don't hold anything against him, it seems to me that he wouldn't be playing to his strengths if he had to write Hellblazer. Diggle excels at enormous pyrotechnics and OTT action, not brooding horror and subtle character work.

I get worried that you touting his name about will give someone the idea to hire him and we'll end up with forty issues of John Constantine: Ninja Space Pirate vs. Godzilla.

#7 wolfram

wolfram

Demon Constantine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 10:29 PM

Grant! My man Grant has got to do another slice on HB before it's over. I love my psychedelic biatch. And this time, it best not be for two issues, either. I want a big kicker of a run straight up until this puppy's put in the ground.

Chant it with me, friends, my mantra: Grant on HB . . . Grant on HB . . . Grant on HB . . . Ohm . . .  happy.gif
She turned on the knockoff mp3 player she’d gotten at the oriental open market and started cutting. Wide swaths of damp cloth fell beneath her cut. Yards of cotton-lycra-poly blends disassembled with each slit beneath the sharp open mouth of the scissors. Frankie was a seamstress in reverse.
Once her present had been stripped of its wrapping, bow and paper all carefully set aside, Frankie began the second process. She dampened the sponge in a small metallic bowl full of water, rinsed the excess, and meticulously washed away the half-dried blood like Christ cleaned sins. The pattern of "oral exsanguination" was apparent immediately from the manner of the spread. Wet hands, wet from face to crotch.

#8 wolfram

wolfram

Demon Constantine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 10:30 PM

Addition: Grant Morrison and Sean Phillips.

Oh, I just might pop right here at the thought.  wub.gif
She turned on the knockoff mp3 player she’d gotten at the oriental open market and started cutting. Wide swaths of damp cloth fell beneath her cut. Yards of cotton-lycra-poly blends disassembled with each slit beneath the sharp open mouth of the scissors. Frankie was a seamstress in reverse.
Once her present had been stripped of its wrapping, bow and paper all carefully set aside, Frankie began the second process. She dampened the sponge in a small metallic bowl full of water, rinsed the excess, and meticulously washed away the half-dried blood like Christ cleaned sins. The pattern of "oral exsanguination" was apparent immediately from the manner of the spread. Wet hands, wet from face to crotch.

#9 sethos

sethos

Savior of hedgehogs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,667 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 11:06 PM

Grant would be great, though I'd see him getting blasted by some people as he'd take it into Paul Jenkins territory again, maybe (that is, more new age magicky). I'd love to see what he'd do though!

Si Spencer could work. his Constantine in BoM is an evil bastard though.

I don't think Gaiman will write a monthly again. I'm sure it would help increase sales though  biggrin.gif

my favourite and most realistic candidate would be Peter Milligan.
Pigfaced wizards must die.

#10 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,219 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 11:17 PM

QUOTE (James @ Feb 20 2005, 10:28 PM)
John will you stop going on about Andy Diggle being the next Hellblazer author?

I just want to look all smart like when he gets the job.

#11 wolfram

wolfram

Demon Constantine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 11:19 PM

QUOTE (sethos @ Feb 20 2005, 06:06 PM)
Si Spencer could work. his Constantine in BoM is an evil bastard though.

I'm surprised folks are liking JC in BOM. Everyone seemed to hate the jackassier JC from Azz's run (though I liked him muchly---but of course, it was my first exposure to him so I had no expectations). But mebbe that's because he's an alterna-John and not the real deal?

#12 wolfram

wolfram

Demon Constantine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 11:20 PM

QUOTE (JohnMcMahon @ Feb 20 2005, 06:17 PM)
I just want to look all smart like when he gets the job.

Is this a "Jesus is Coming! (Look Busy)" approach to forum leadership? icon_lol.gif icon_wink.gif

#13 James

James

Chinese bakery

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,706 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 11:25 PM

QUOTE (wolfram @ Feb 21 2005, 12:19 AM)
I'm surprised folks are liking JC in BOM. Everyone seemed to hate the jackassier JC from Azz's run (though I liked him muchly---but of course, it was my first exposure to him so I had no expectations). But mebbe that's because he's an alterna-John and not the real deal?

That's why I liked him. Plus, he's a logical progression of the character after being placed in a terrible position, whereas Azz's John was a dick for pretty much no reason at all.

#14 wolfram

wolfram

Demon Constantine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 11:31 PM

QUOTE (James @ Feb 20 2005, 06:25 PM)
That's why I liked him. Plus, he's a logical progression of the character after being placed in a terrible position, whereas Azz's John was a dick for pretty much no reason at all.

He was stranded in Bush-country, isn't that reason enough? icon_lol.gif

*cheese*

#15 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,270 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 11:33 PM

I can't stand Steve Niles' writing. I might end up actually dropping H.B. if he was the writer....

Si Spencer would have to do a hell of a more competent job than he's doing on "Books of MagicK" to warrant writing H.B.

Neil Gaiman has stated that comics are no longer his main priority and he never wants to write a monthly title again.

Peter Milligan or Grant Morrison are obviously top choices for me, since I adore both of them so very much! But, I do wonder if Morrison would be able to find the time (I don't think he'd go "new agey" either) and if Milligan really has anything to say with "Hellblazer".

I'm of two-minds about Diggle also. He could write a really good John, but he seems to love that wide-screen format, which I don't want to see on H.B. Carey's run has been close enough to that for my tastes.

I guess, in lieu of a real answer, I'll have to nominate either myself or Gore Vidal.
Of course, there's quite a few problems with both choices....but it's the best I've got!
"I wish it were fin du globe," said Dorian with a sigh.
"Life is such a great disappointment."
-Oscar Wilde

#16 wolfram

wolfram

Demon Constantine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 11:40 PM

I reckon after Seven Soldiers is all done, he'll need something to fill his plate, no? icon_smile.gif

I also don't see him going all out with the weird new agey kinda techno magick stuff we've been seeing. If he were to hit on even some of what he did in his two-parter . . . that run would probably keep me up nights. Those two issues were so creepy, they scared me shitless.

#17 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,270 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 12:35 AM

Yeah, that's what I'm really hoping for, that Morrison will take H.B. back to the political horror book it was originally!

Still, the problem is that "Seven Soldiers" is going to take at least 30 months, plus he's got a "Superman" maxi-series in the works for later this year.
So, I'm not sure how full Morrison's plate is right now. I know he wants to put a lot of his time and energy into "Seven Soldiers", and I'm not sure how far ahead Morrison finishes his scripts.
"I wish it were fin du globe," said Dorian with a sigh.
"Life is such a great disappointment."
-Oscar Wilde

#18 J. White

J. White

Eglantine Price's Bedknob

• Members
  • 963 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 12:53 AM

I'm still waiting for Warren Ellis to come back and try it again. There's always room for hope.

Now, I don't really care who the next writer should be. The people at Vertigo haven't really made any mistakes when it comes to the writers who've taken on the role of fleshing John out a bit.

Brian K. Vaughn(sp?), maybe, or even Si Spencer would be fine with me. The latest BoM was great! Hell, I'd even be interested if Azzarello came back to tie up his loose ends on the title.

#19 Shawn

Shawn

conjurer of cheap tricks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 02:08 AM

I could see how it would be hard to judge Spencer's Constantine since he is not the main character in BOM and is written as an antaganist who is a parallel version of John.
I think; SHOULD Mike Carey leave, Spencer would be good a choice since he is good at writing interesting characters involved in the supernatural.

Would Milligan even want to write Hellblazer since Vertigo is cancelling Human Target, could be some bad blood?
We have more possibilities available in each moment than we realize. - Thich Nhat Hanh

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity - Edgar Allan Poe

https://twitter.com/shawn1163

#20 wolfram

wolfram

Demon Constantine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 03:23 AM

30 months?!?! Man . . . I mean, I'm not necessarily complaining, as some of the Seven Soldiers books look outstanding---but---can't we take him off Supes and put him on HB? Come on Grant . . . you'll be tired of superheroes with Seven Soldiers, won't you want a chance to write something with nice pretty magic? Ooh, sparkly . . . *hypnotizes Grant*

blink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users