seventhcircle

living circlejerk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 11:16 AM

"john constantine" vs. "dracula" 3000
#crossoverthetop #inspacenoonehearsyoushit #madlads

Of cause you keep going on. We.. we all keep going on. If we stop laughing, than they have won.
[Alfonse. french-german Comedian, 17.11.15]

#122 JasonT

JasonT

Stressing over cat urine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,116 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 09:30 AM

View Postseventhcircle, on 08 August 2016 - 11:16 AM, said:

#inspacenoonehearsyoushit

Peter Noone?

#123 Ixnay by Night

Ixnay by Night

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 03:08 PM

I had picked up the first issue of Nameless back when it first came out and just didn't keep up with it.  After reading the responses here, I grabbed the rest off Comixology and just finished issue # 2.  Yeah, I can totally see this as G-Mozz's Hellblazer with the serial number filed off.

Even if "Constantine in spaaaaaaaace" isn't the direction most of us would have wanted to see, I wonder if letting Morrison and Burnham do this in Hellblazer (maybe kicking off in # 300?) would have saved the title from cancellation?

#124 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,413 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 05:42 PM

Another reason I'm glad it didn't happen, though, was that it would have ruined The Nameless also. The ending is totally bleak and nihilistic. Vertigo would have wanted to a better resolution if this story took place in HB, so the ending we got for The Nameless would have had to be more positive, which would have taken away a lot of the impact of the mini-series.

I don't think it would have saved Hellblazer. Vertigo already had plans in place to end Hellblazer during the Milligan tenure. DC's editor-in-chief wanted all of the DC properties back in the DC box for the big New 52 relaunch, and they expected that Constantine would make more money than Hellblazer, which was true. I'm not sure that Morrison's name could have increased the failing sales of HB enough to compare to the sales figures DC got with Constantine #1, which were so much higher than HB's sales. Vertigo's editors got the go-ahead to keep HB going until #300, so they could end the book on a nice number. I think DC's editor-in-chief wanted to see HB end by issue #300 regardless of if Morrison or Milligan was writing the title.
"I wish it were fin du globe," said Dorian with a sigh.
"Life is such a great disappointment."
-Oscar Wilde

#125 dogpoet

dogpoet

From Hell's heart I strike at thee...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,793 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 06:25 PM

That's the really depressing thing about Milligan's tail dive to a dull ending. The comic was doomed anyway, so they could have done anything with it. Have John marry Etrigan instead of Shelly, get the rhymer pregnant and end the series with him ruling Hell as its Regent until his heir comes of age (Etrigan would have died in childbirth, shitting a miniature demon out of his arse). Do a barking mad Cabbalistic space opera like Nameless. Have John make a deal with the taoist tongs Warren Ellis left out of London's occult landscape and overrun the south with hopping vampires as a protest against David Cameron's re-election. Bring back the Beard Hunter from Doom Patrol and have John try to prevent him getting into an apocalyptic battle with BRIAN BLESSED that would wipe London (and most of the rest of the home counties) off the map if it takes place. You name it (and you can probably think of madder shit than I can) they could have done it, because it didn't matter with the comic getting cancelled whatever they did with it.

#126 Bran the Blessed

Bran the Blessed

Street Magician

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 08:34 PM

View Postdogpoet, on 09 August 2016 - 06:25 PM, said:

That's the really depressing thing about Milligan's tail dive to a dull ending. The comic was doomed anyway, so they could have done anything with it. Have John marry Etrigan instead of Shelly, get the rhymer preganant and end the series with him ruling Hell as its Regent until his heir comes of age (Etrigan would have died in childbirth, shitting a miniature demon out of his arse). Do a barking mad Cabbalistic space opera like Nameless. Have John make a deal with the taoist tongs Warren Ellis left out of London's occult landscape and overrun the south with hopping vampires as a protest against David Cameron's re-election. Bring back the Beard Hunter from Doom Patrol and have John try to prevent him getting into an apocalyptic battle with BRIAN BLESSED that would wipe London (and most of the rest of the home counties) off the map if it takes place. You name it (and you can probably think of madder shit than I can) they could have done it, because it didn't matter with the comic getting cancelled whatever they did with it.

I thought I was being called.

Well the ending seemed like something they forced on him rather suddenly, and it appears he wanted to finish the stuff he wanted to do.

Mind you I was not a fan of the ending because if they were gonna end it, give John his happy end and don't screw us over with some weird artsy thing. Yeah that's not really the theme of the series but it would leave less of a bad taste in my mouth then what we actually got.

#127 seventhcircle

seventhcircle

living circlejerk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 09:30 PM

i wouldn`t call the ending weird artsy stuff. i would call it a badly pretentious try at weird artsy stuff.

Of cause you keep going on. We.. we all keep going on. If we stop laughing, than they have won.
[Alfonse. french-german Comedian, 17.11.15]

#128 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,413 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 10:19 PM

I don't see any reason to give John a happy ending. The entire series seemed to be moving in the direction that John wasn't going to have a happy ending, because he kept falling in to the same behaviour patterns over and over. At best, he was going to go to Hell, and then fuck everything up for the First....but, Mignola has already done that ending now anyway.
"I wish it were fin du globe," said Dorian with a sigh.
"Life is such a great disappointment."
-Oscar Wilde

#129 Dave

Dave

Con Artist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 03:53 AM

I wish they had used 300 as a jam issue and given all the major writers and artists a chance to do a "Last Hellblazer" story to see whst everyone had in them one last time.

Its why i still hold out hope for a yearly Halloween anthology issue.
I'm in no condition to drive...wait! I shouldn't listen to myself, I'm drunk.

#130 dogpoet

dogpoet

From Hell's heart I strike at thee...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,793 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 05:04 PM

Helloweenblazer?
Posted Image
(If you want an '80s metal band who sound just like Iron Midden, they're a shitload better than Queensryche, I suppose...)

#131 Ixnay by Night

Ixnay by Night

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 06:37 PM

View PostChristian, on 09 August 2016 - 05:42 PM, said:

Another reason I'm glad it didn't happen, though, was that it would have ruined The Nameless also. The ending is totally bleak and nihilistic. Vertigo would have wanted to a better resolution if this story took place in HB, so the ending we got for The Nameless would have had to be more positive, which would have taken away a lot of the impact of the mini-series.

I don't think it would have saved Hellblazer. Vertigo already had plans in place to end Hellblazer during the Milligan tenure. DC's editor-in-chief wanted all of the DC properties back in the DC box for the big New 52 relaunch, and they expected that Constantine would make more money than Hellblazer, which was true. I'm not sure that Morrison's name could have increased the failing sales of HB enough to compare to the sales figures DC got with Constantine #1, which were so much higher than HB's sales. Vertigo's editors got the go-ahead to keep HB going until #300, so they could end the book on a nice number. I think DC's editor-in-chief wanted to see HB end by issue #300 regardless of if Morrison or Milligan was writing the title.

I finished reading Nameless today, and you're right that I don't see Vertigo allowing Morrison to do that story in Hellblazer without major changes.  God damn good series, Nameless was, probably the best work Morrison's done since Final Crisis.

I agree that the EiC was likely frothing at the mouth to axe Hellblazer as soon as he could, and I think he likely would have done it back when Diggle's run didn't really take off.  I wonder how much Hellblazer's longevity came down to Karen Berger keeping the DC editorial hounds at bay, and once she was gone the book's days were numbered?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users