130 replies to this topic

#21 TheMojoPin

TheMojoPin

"Somebody's got to pay for the piano!"

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 03:34 AM

Joining the crowd, Morrison is my top choice by far.  The man is easily my overall favorite writer, and he's yet to put out something I didn't enjoy waaaaay too much.

If it weren't probably impossible, I'd want Warren Ellis back on the title right this very instant.

What's everyone's thoughts on another American taking a shot at writing JC?  Azz's run was spotty at best, that's obvious...but are there any others out there that might have the stuff to step up?

#22 wolfram

wolfram

Demon Constantine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 03:40 AM

Well . . . Brian K. Vaughn was suggested, but I dunno if HB is his style. I haven't read anything of his outside of Y, though.
She turned on the knockoff mp3 player she’d gotten at the oriental open market and started cutting. Wide swaths of damp cloth fell beneath her cut. Yards of cotton-lycra-poly blends disassembled with each slit beneath the sharp open mouth of the scissors. Frankie was a seamstress in reverse.
Once her present had been stripped of its wrapping, bow and paper all carefully set aside, Frankie began the second process. She dampened the sponge in a small metallic bowl full of water, rinsed the excess, and meticulously washed away the half-dried blood like Christ cleaned sins. The pattern of "oral exsanguination" was apparent immediately from the manner of the spread. Wet hands, wet from face to crotch.

#23 TheMojoPin

TheMojoPin

"Somebody's got to pay for the piano!"

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 03:48 AM

QUOTE (wolfram @ Feb 20 2005, 11:40 PM)
Well . . . Brian K. Vaughn was suggested, but I dunno if HB is his style. I haven't read anything of his outside of Y, though.

I thought of him...and of Bendis (for his old crime/noir indie titles)...but neither really has handled anything resembling a "magic" title or character, and I'd be worried that aspect would fall too far by the wayside.

#24 Donnie Van

Donnie Van

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 04:01 AM

My top pick would also be Morrison or Milligan.  Morrison moreso, because he's continued to impress me with his work, whereas there hasn't been much from Milligan that knocked my socks off (I liked X-Force/X-Statix well enough, but that's a different kind of book all together).  If Milligan could bring the same quality he brought with him to Shade, The Changing Man, then I'll all for him.
Morrison's two fill-in issues were great, and he clearly at one point had a great interest in the character (just look at Hellblazer and Kipling from his Doom Patrol).

As a big non-fan of Brian K. Vaughan's Swamp Girl (err, "Thing") series, I'd prefer he stay far, far away from Hellblazer.

I'm also not entirely opposed to giving some young, relatively unknown writer a chance on the book ... though maybe they could have a smaller contract at first, for like eight issues, and then the editors can gauge from there whether or not they want to keep the writer on board for more.

#25 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,348 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 05:51 AM

The one thing about Vaughn's "Swamp GIRL" series that I liked was his characterization of John. So, I might go for him.

Bendis is a shell of his former self and would be lost on a book liked Hellblazer.

If we could go back in time 5 years, I'd want to see Ellis back. But, I don't today's Ellis anywhere near "Hellblazer"! He only cares about "Planetary" now; besides that he's too busy telling us how much we should love space and annoying fans by constantly attempting to prove that decompression is the highest form of writing to bother writing anything meaningful.
"I wish it were fin du globe," said Dorian with a sigh.
"Life is such a great disappointment."
-Oscar Wilde

#26 wolfram

wolfram

Demon Constantine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 06:37 AM

QUOTE (Christian @ Feb 21 2005, 12:51 AM)
and annoying fans by constantly attempting to prove that decompression is the highest form of writing to bother writing anything meaningful.

Quite, I don't care to watch six pages of John attempting to light a cigarette, no matter how many pretty panels it gives me.  icon_wink.gif
She turned on the knockoff mp3 player she’d gotten at the oriental open market and started cutting. Wide swaths of damp cloth fell beneath her cut. Yards of cotton-lycra-poly blends disassembled with each slit beneath the sharp open mouth of the scissors. Frankie was a seamstress in reverse.
Once her present had been stripped of its wrapping, bow and paper all carefully set aside, Frankie began the second process. She dampened the sponge in a small metallic bowl full of water, rinsed the excess, and meticulously washed away the half-dried blood like Christ cleaned sins. The pattern of "oral exsanguination" was apparent immediately from the manner of the spread. Wet hands, wet from face to crotch.

#27 JasonT

JasonT

Stressing over cat urine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,107 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 07:25 AM

Yeah, Morrison and Milligan — in that order, 'cos the series would have to be cancelled shortly after Peter took it over. icon_smile.gif  icon_redface.gif

What I've seen of Brian Vaughan's work has been just as padded as Warren's.

I'd really like to see Paul Jenkins have another go. He's not the same writer now that he was in the 90s.

- Jason
Must not say Alan Moore... must not say Alan Moore...

#28 Mark

Mark

"I know it's not as good as it used to be..."

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,759 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 08:31 AM

Grant Morrison: it's not going to happen, people. Sad but true.

Dunno who I want next. Ideally some total unknown who'll blow us all away. Really. I can't think of a single major existing writer who'd be (a) in with a chance of taking the job and (b) likely to write HB in a style I'd enjoy.

I want to be surprised.
"As we journey through life, discarding baggage along the way, we should keep an iron grip, to the very end, on the capacity for silliness. It preserves the soul from dessication."
- Humphrey Lyttleton, 1921-2008

"The Doctor remembers every Doctor Who story ever told. Every episode, Target book, comic strip and every game of companions and TARDISes that you played as a kid. The universe he lives in has no record of it, because paradoxes and divergent dimensions and the Time War have reset things... but the Doctor remembers and sometimes when he is sad it's because you've stopped being 8 years old and he can't run around the school playground with you anymore."
- some wise soul on the internet somewhere, 2009

#29 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,253 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 09:07 AM

QUOTE (James @ Feb 20 2005, 10:28 PM)
I get worried that you touting his name about will give someone the idea to hire him

For the benefit of those listening, I'd like to nominate James Wilkinson with creative consultant Adrian Brown  biggrin.gif
featherweight champion, cheap to get pissed

#30 Red

Red

All your capital are belong to us

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,239 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 09:41 AM

Rogan: How'd you feel about Enki Bilal writing HB? icon_biggrin.gif
Capital is dead labor, which, vampire-like, lives only by sucking living labor, and lives the more, the more labor it sucks.

#31 Keeyah

Keeyah

foxy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 12:12 PM

QUOTE (JohnMcMahon @ Feb 21 2005, 09:07 AM)
For the benefit of those listening, I'd like to nominate James Wilkinson with creative consultant Adrian Brown  biggrin.gif

Sounds good to me.

Or Morrison. Spencer on a trial run.

Not Bendis.
Adopted Sister K!

#32 Mr. Tom Willecome

Mr. Tom Willecome

You talk the way stupid people think clever people talk.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,633 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 12:15 PM

Fuck Scabo, give it me.

It'd be swear-tastic!
SPELLCHECK IS YOUR FRIEND!!!!

The Bedford Falls album is now available. PM me if you want one.

What a bunch of pussies.

#33 Red

Red

All your capital are belong to us

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,239 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 12:26 PM

And EVERY SINGLE ISSUE would end up with John viciously torturing some WB employee...
Capital is dead labor, which, vampire-like, lives only by sucking living labor, and lives the more, the more labor it sucks.

#34 Mr. Tom Willecome

Mr. Tom Willecome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,633 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 12:30 PM

Biting the hand that feeds. I like it, very Simpsons-esque.

What a bunch of pussies.

#35 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,253 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 12:33 PM

You could write the "Mucous Membrane Years" spinoff title.

I'll be writing "John Constantine : The Dublin Pub Years"

#36 Mr. Tom Willecome

Mr. Tom Willecome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,633 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 12:41 PM

Ooooh, I might give that a go y'know.

What a bunch of pussies.

#37 timmybauer

timmybauer

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 03:40 PM

Jenkins/Jae Lee.....perchance to dream

#38 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,253 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 03:42 PM

And they were sooooooooooo close to doing a fill-in issue or four  icon_2gun.gif

#39 andy

andy

Gone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 04:23 PM

I wouldn't be so opposed to having a few short-timers give a shot at the title before the next long term writer.  DC/Vertigo has usually given the title to an up and coming writer within their fold so that gives good odds to Diggle.  But I wouldn't mind having someone like this Myserty novelist Mina take a shot at the title for a bit.  Anything DC/Vertigo can do to advertise the comic and bring it to more people's attention will help it maintain its long run.

Oh and whomever the next writer is I wouldn't mind seeing a more fractured run..that is not have his or her entire tenure be chapters in one big storyline the way Ennis, Jenkins, Azzarello, and Carey's has been.  If just for a change.
HAPPY IS HE WHO RENOUNCED THE WORLD BEFORE THE WORLD RENOUNCED HIM.

From the Mausoleum of Timur the Lame

#40 Mark

Mark

"I know it's not as good as it used to be..."

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,759 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 04:28 PM

Jenkins' and Ennis' runs weren't meta-stories in quite the same overwhelming way as Azzarello and Carey made theirs. Sure, there were underlying threads which played out as their runs went on, and they both tied together most of their respective loose ends in their final arcs, but that's not quite the same as the 'every issue/story-arc is just another chapter in the epic saga' approach which has dominated Mike's run in particular. At least Ennis and Jenkins wrote the occasional standalone issue/short story, if only to break up the pace of the meta-arc. Barring #201, Carey hasn't written one of those since 'Red Sepulchre', really.

Other than that, I heartily agree with you.
"As we journey through life, discarding baggage along the way, we should keep an iron grip, to the very end, on the capacity for silliness. It preserves the soul from dessication."
- Humphrey Lyttleton, 1921-2008

"The Doctor remembers every Doctor Who story ever told. Every episode, Target book, comic strip and every game of companions and TARDISes that you played as a kid. The universe he lives in has no record of it, because paradoxes and divergent dimensions and the Time War have reset things... but the Doctor remembers and sometimes when he is sad it's because you've stopped being 8 years old and he can't run around the school playground with you anymore."
- some wise soul on the internet somewhere, 2009

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users