36 replies to this topic

#21 dogpoet

dogpoet

From Hell's heart I strike at thee...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,702 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 05:39 PM

"If this fucking cabbie doesn't shut his trap, I'll tell him exactly why that fifth-fath on his mirror doesn't work..."?

#22 lady_constantine

lady_constantine

Hogwarts Graduate

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 04:01 AM

The Azarello run was memorable because of how cringe worthy it was--the biggest put off was the dog thing,the butchering kids thing ,john's characterization and the sheer amount of Narm of it all--plus the art in the prison run made me ask "why the fuck am I reading this?"

so in light of this...why are we focusing on "the sweet musk of his balls"...hardly relevant

I think it could be re-written and done well-- saying this because I just started 100 bullets and it's definitely my cup of tea...for now

also,john was always a cock-sucker,but the mostly heterosexually male readership casually phased it out ..."no-homo" before no-homo was a thing.I mean c'mon het guys,are you really gonna admit to reading about a queer dude?

as for john coming back to life after death...?

I guess it did it's job
Wanna know what ol' Conjob gets up to nowadays? Read 'The Laughing Magician's Journal http://a-laughing-magicians-journal.blogspot.com/'.Also,check out his latest adventures at 'Elseworlds Legends http://elseworlds-legends.blogspot.com/ http://so-tru-review.blogspot.com/

#23 dogpoet

dogpoet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,702 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 11:27 AM

I always liked Richard Corben's art, myself. In fact, whatever you can say against Azzarrello's ball-muskin', dawg-fookin', Batman-mockin', Fed-teasin', character-missin' run, the art was never a problem. Corben and Frusin when he was still on top of his game? Yes, please...

#24 Lou K

Lou K

POWAH!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,775 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 12:39 PM

View Postlady_constantine, on 10 September 2016 - 04:01 AM, said:

so in light of this...why are we focusing on "the sweet musk of his balls"...hardly relevant

It's an old joke from the DC forum days. Guess you kinda had to be there.

In the age of the internet someone's sensibility is ALWAYS being tested.

~ James

Posted Image

#25 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,347 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 04:50 PM

John was certainly not always gay, as far as comic continuity....to be technical, he was described as bisexual, not gay. There was absolutely no proof from the Alan Moore or Jamie Delano or Garth Ennis runs that John was anything other than hetero. It wasn't until a fill-in issue by John Smith during the Ennis days that it was revealed that John was bi. Then, it was rarely ever mentioned again after that one issue. During the Delano run, John had an openly gay friend (Ray Monde), but there was never a hint that John had any sexual feelings towards Monde. Of course, he might not have been John's type.
"I wish it were fin du globe," said Dorian with a sigh.
"Life is such a great disappointment."
-Oscar Wilde

#26 A. Heathen

A. Heathen

The wisdom of Dick (Solomon)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,312 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 06:28 PM

There were two stories in the mina run.

A HILFUCKINGARIOUS two parter where Scots laugh at England football.
And the empathy thing.

Her Constantine was ace.
Her supporting cast less so.

Azzarello wins
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
"But that's the whole point, it's supernatural, these things happen.
It's not supposed to be realistic in that sense."

#27 seventhcircle

seventhcircle

living circlejerk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,305 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 08:16 PM

can you elaborate on them, i did not pick up anything homoerotical during minas run.

Of cause you keep going on. We.. we all keep going on. If we stop laughing, than they have won.
[Alfonse. french-german Comedian, 17.11.15]

#28 JasonT

JasonT

Stressing over cat urine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,107 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 01:39 AM

I don't think Ade's saying there were two Mina stories where John was queer — he's saying there were only two Mina stories.

View Postlady_constantine, on 10 September 2016 - 04:01 AM, said:

...john was always a cock-sucker,but the mostly heterosexually male readership casually phased it out ...

You mean hetero readers cherrypicked the character to suit what they wanted him to be? Good thing bi readers never did that, huh? :wink2:

#29 seventhcircle

seventhcircle

living circlejerk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,305 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 10:32 AM

or the frog-readers. i can not say any names, but i am pretty convinced there is this one guy on a forum i am on, who wants to read constantine as a talking frog.

Of cause you keep going on. We.. we all keep going on. If we stop laughing, than they have won.

#30 dogpoet

dogpoet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,702 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 04:57 PM

That's Kermit playing Phillip Marlowe, d00d.
(And as '70s Marlowes go, Kermit was a shitload better than Elliott Gould...)

#31 seventhcircle

seventhcircle

living circlejerk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,305 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 01:07 PM

oh ok. i have actually only read chandlers books, but never seen any movie. i guess if i choose to... bogart?

#32 Pooka

Pooka

Nimble Little Minx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,725 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 05:02 PM

I love Elliot Gould in The Long Goodbye.

(I just had to jump in to say that)
World shut your mouth.

#33 dogpoet

dogpoet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,702 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 06:46 PM

My problem with The Long Goodbye isn't so much Gould as Altman, who seemed to find Marlowe's attempts to keep his integrity while constantly being placed in situations that make that difficult by his job laughable, and tilts the script towards mocking that element of the character. It's probably unfair of me to blame Gould for that. It'd have been interesting to see what he'd have done if he'd got to work with a script and director that treated the lead character with sympathy rather than contempt, really.

Seventh, bear in mind that my own favourite screen Marlowe is Robert Mitchum, and apart from him, most of the rest of those two films suck. (That said, anybody who doesn't think that Richard Kiel made almost as perfect a Moose Malloy as Mitchum did a Marlowe needs their head examined.)

I really like Powers Boothe, who played Marlowe in a rather good television series from the '80s as well.

Bogart is great, but he played Marlowe exactly the same way he played Sam Spade, which is a shame.

#34 Ixnay by Night

Ixnay by Night

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 07:53 PM

This conversation reminds me so much of the cinematic Marlowe tirade in James Robinson's Starman, which pleases me to no end.

#35 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,347 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 08:00 PM

OK, but which is better The Long Goodbye, Ashes and Dust, or Empathy is the Enemy?
"I wish it were fin du globe," said Dorian with a sigh.
"Life is such a great disappointment."
-Oscar Wilde

#36 seventhcircle

seventhcircle

living circlejerk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,305 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 08:52 PM

View PostChristian, on 12 September 2016 - 08:00 PM, said:

OK, but which is better The Long Goodbye, Ashes and Dust, or Empathy is the Enemy?

how bad can the long goodbye possibly be?

#37 dogpoet

dogpoet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,702 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 09:21 PM

View PostIxnay by Night, on 12 September 2016 - 07:53 PM, said:

This conversation reminds me so much of the cinematic Marlowe tirade in James Robinson's Starman, which pleases me to no end.
:hattip:
I was forgetting that. (IIRC, the best thing about that was the wanker who'd wandered in from an early Tarantino flick, insisting that the stupid camera gimmick film is the definitive one: Robinson couldn't have made it more obvious that the guy's talking crap if he'd had Grawbadger draw him with "Fuckwit" written on his forehead.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users