233 replies to this topic

#1 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,412 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 09:21 PM

You know that mega-event known as Secret Wars that Marvel has been promoting for months now? How it was the biggest event in Marvel's history?
Well, it's two months away from being over. So, it's time for Marvel to go in to hype mode about the All-New, All-Different Marvel Universe that comes after Secret Wars!
Are you burnt out yet? I wonder why....
Starting in September, Marvel has announced the first batch of new releases for the new Marvel Universe post-Secret Wars.

Iron Man by Brian Bendis....

All New, All Different Avengers by Mark Waid

A-Force by G. Willow Wilson

Uncanny Avengers by Gerry Duggan

New Avengers by Al Ewing-I'll be checking this out.

Dr. Strange by Jason Aaron-This is the big hit for the new launches! This should be amazing!

Captain Marvel returns, but with a new creative team....

Captain America is still Sam Wilson, now written by Nick Spencer

Totally Awesome Hulk....Seriously, that's the title...by Greg Pak

Aaron's Thor is back.

Scarlet Witch by James Robinson-Might be worth buying, or it might be awful.

Illuminati...No.

Vision

Contest of Champions by Al Ewing-Not sure if this is an ongoing or what

Slott is still writing Amazing Spider Man...Yawn!

Carnage by Gerry Conway....Seriously.

Spider Man-This is the Ultimate version of Spider Man. So, two Spider-Men in the Marvel Universe now.

Spider Man 2099 is still around. Whoops! Three Spider-Men, I stand corrected.

Oh, OK. Here's why. Web Warriors...a team made up of all the different Spider characters. Yawn.

Charles Soule is the new writer on Daredevil. It doesn't look good. Back to dark 'n' gritty DD, it appears.

Drax by C.M. Punk...I'm not making this up! Honest!

Nova

Venom:Spaceknight....Again. Seriously. I'm not lying!

Howling Commandos....OK, this looks like fun. I'll check this out.

SHIELD

Uncanny Inhumans-Already announced.

Karnak by Warren Ellis....Weird! This will definitely be worth a look. But...weird.

Squadron Supreme by James Robinson-Definitely worth a look.

X-Traordinary X-Men by Jeff Lemire-I'll have to buy this, because it's Lemire. But, I don't want to just based on the name alone.

Old Man Logan, also by Lemire. Ugh. I don't think I can even do this for Lemire.

Also, All-New Wolverine, which is X-23 as Wolverine. Ugh!

There was also supposed to be a Red Wolf series, but I don't see it announced yet. I hope it has a good writer..

Basically, sounds like the same old shite, with a few good books thrown in.
"I wish it were fin du globe," said Dorian with a sigh.
"Life is such a great disappointment."
-Oscar Wilde

#2 JasonT

JasonT

Stressing over cat urine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,113 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 02:51 AM

View PostChristian, on 01 July 2015 - 09:21 PM, said:

Please let it be Anal.

Slott is still writing Amazing Spider Man...Yawn!

Yep. His one-off stories were brilliant, but when he took over as regular writer, not so much. I guess Amazing Spider-Man just isn't meant to be good.

#3 Lou K

Lou K

POWAH!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,815 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 11:12 AM

Interesting. Aaron on Strange? Hmmmm....
In the age of the internet someone's sensibility is ALWAYS being tested.

~ James

Posted Image

#4 Demon Chas08

Demon Chas08

Con Artist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 02:57 PM

C.M Punk writing Drax? TO THE PULL LIST!!
"Ha ha! Cookies on dowels!"- Phil Ken Sebben circa 2001

For Doctor Who, Torchwood, Bernice Summerfield & Sarah Jane reviews go to: www.doctorwhoreviews.co.uk

For Doctor Who Chronology: http://drwhocontinut...e.blogspot.com/

#5 seventhcircle

seventhcircle

living circlejerk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 08:51 AM

View PostJasonT, on 02 July 2015 - 02:51 AM, said:

Please let it be Anal.

Would that be the scientific term for the force required to take a dump?
Or is that a superhero team consisting of a anal characters?

Of cause you keep going on. We.. we all keep going on. If we stop laughing, than they have won.
[Alfonse. french-german Comedian, 17.11.15]

#6 Lou K

Lou K

POWAH!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,815 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 10:38 AM

Garth Ennis writing that ?

~ James

Posted Image

#7 Lou K

Lou K

POWAH!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,815 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 05:21 PM

So Dr Strange was OK. Felt a little too much like Jason Aaron's comedy hour.

~ James

Posted Image

#8 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,412 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 06:20 PM

I love Doctor Strange #1! I thought it was great. Easily the best book of the week. I thought it would be something that Hellblazer fans might be interested in. It's a different direction for Aaron to go in with Dr. Strange, making him more human, and less serious. After all these years of serious Dr. Strange, I don't mind that. It was sort of jarring that he was Earth's "Sorceror Supreme", and he was acting more like a John Constantine-type. I'm pleased with the book though.

However, the rest of the "All-New, All-Different Marvel" is a big disappointment. Apparently, Secret Wars was completely pointless. All those months. All those titles. All that hype. And, in the end, it seems that it had very minimal influence on the Marvel Universe, at all. What a total waste! Everything is pretty much exactly like you remember it from before Secret Wars.

Amazing Spider Man, I have no interest in reading this. It's like Tony Stark with a conscience. Spider Man has been changed by Secret Wars because apparently this is like DC's 6-months later gimmick. It takes off where Amazing Spider Man left off, but a number of months later, where Spider Man has rebuilt his company and made it successful.

Iron Man, on the other hand, isn't bad. This is the best I've seen from Brian Bendis in a long time....which isn't saying much. But, it's not bad. I really have no interest in reading it, because it's the same thing as before, but the writing was pretty good. Once again, nothing has changed since Secret Wars for Iron Man. Everything is going on like it did before.

Contest of Champions. A lot of shilling for some video game in the back-matter here, which I didn't feel was a good sign. I guess this is the legacy of the Secret Wars book....which is in a lower-tier title, removed from the wider Marvel Universe. I guess elements of Battleworld are still left after whatever happens in Secret Wars (find out in December, only 3 months late!). Characters from across the Multiverse are stranded there, where the Collector and Maestro pick from different characters to form a fighting team to fight against some other force. I don't really care. To show how pointless Secret Wars has been, the tie-in book Future Imperfect, which featured the Maestro is totally ignored in this book.

The Marvel Point One book was just a preview book for B-level books that will be launching next month. A highly over-priced preview book for later series! I have no interest in reading any of the books that were featured here.

Avengers #0-Oh, what's this? Another over-priced preview book! This one for all the Avengers titles launching. I am interested in reading some of these Avengers titles, but the preview stories didn't feel me with hope. This book was just a mess. It wasn't really coherently written. I'd have been ashamed to charge money for this, never mind to charge $6 for this mess!
-Oscar Wilde

#9 Lou K

Lou K

POWAH!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,815 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 06:25 PM

View PostChristian, on 08 October 2015 - 06:20 PM, said:

I love Doctor Strange #1!  I thought it would be something that Hellblazer fans might be interested in.

That is exactly how I was reading it! I was wondering if I was coocoo after feeling like Nameless was an unused Hellblazer tale and felt like maybe this one was too. Felt very constantine like

~ James

Posted Image

#10 JasonT

JasonT

Stressing over cat urine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,113 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 09:49 PM

I've only read the first few pages, but it does feel like Strange's character was influenced by Constantine. Which is ironic, because Constantine's "blue collar magician" angle was partly a reaction to Dr Strange being a wordy stuffed-shirt.

Then again, a lot of Marvel and DC characters have been reimagined to be hipper and more, uh, Poochie.

#11 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,412 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 06:55 PM

I wasn't impressed by any of the "new" Marvel titles for this week. Dr. Strange still stands out as the only "All-New, All-Different" Marvel comic that I really enjoy.

All-New, All-Different Captain America #1 with a new writer (Nick Spenser) is alright....I think this book should probably be starring the Falcon, and that they should just go back to the old Captain America. The new Cap's new mission is that he's going to help "the little guy" who no one else will help. Well, that sounds like a good premise for a book starring the Falcon. Also, I fail to believe that Steve Rogers never went through periods of his career where he decided it was his purpose to help "the little guy". There's some revisionist history here. Sam Wilson, Captain America tackles the issue of "illegal" immigration. No, he's not beating up "illegal aliens" for not being to Donald Trump's liking.

Guardians of the Galaxy #1-Bendis is still busy doing stuff that doesn't matter with the book. Some elements of the "end of everything" are sticking post-Secret Wars though. Hala (the Kree homeworld) is still destroyed, for example. Still won't be buying this regularly.

New Avengers #1-I'm a bit surprised that Al Ewing is writing this book. I'm still not sure what the purpose of this title is meant to be. Roberto Da Costa, former-New Mutant and son of wealthy businessman, has used his inherited family wealth to buy AIM and fund a new Avengers team, made up of C-listers. Why, exactly, is he doing this? It's not like there's a lack in Avengers team.

Uncanny Avengers #1-The team is about the unity of the humans, mutants, AND Inhumans now....I'm shocked by Marvel following through and placing X-Men in to the background, after all these years of trying to still milk the X-Men franchise. Movies mean a lot to Marvel these days, eh? Once again, the book is ok....but nothing stands out. A new Inhuman wants to save the planet from man's destruction, and then the book ends. OK.
Brother/Doctor Voodoo is a member of this team. That could make it worth a read, but in this issue, he played a very small part....again.

Spider Man 2099 #1-Not sure what the purpose of this book's continued existence. I guess Marvel wants enough different Spider men to fill up a team. They're ret-conned the 2099 Universe....and I thought, post-Secret Wars, there was only one Marvel Universe with one possible future, ala DC after Crisis. So, isn't the 2099 Universe gone now? I thought this would explain Miguel's being left in our present...but he has a time portal to visit the 2099 reality still. It's not a bad book, I'm just sort of bored with it by now.

Out of this week's launches, Uncanny Avengers would probably be the book I'd be most likely to continue buying. I'm not going to continue buying all the new #1s from Marvel after this week. I wanted a taste of what the "All-New, All-Different" Marvel Universe would be like, and things are just going on like before. There's no real changes. The Marvel Universe sort of depresses me now....which is still better than the total apathy I have for DC Comics at this point. There aren't a lot of comics which are catching my attention right now. I think I'm going to cull my pull list and take a break from binge-buying comic books.
-Oscar Wilde

#12 JasonT

JasonT

Stressing over cat urine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,113 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 10:29 PM

View PostChristian, on 05 October 2015 - 09:41 PM, said:

... The new direction for Spider Man is, basically, that he's like Tony Stark now. I don't know. Spider Man needs to change, but turning him in to this other character doesn't seem like a good direction. I don't think Spider Man comics have really been worth reading since Paul Jenkins run on Peter Parker: Spider Man.

I dunno what to make of the "new" Amazing Spider-Man #1. I get the argument that the character should grow and succeed, but the essence of Spider-Man is that he's a struggling everyman-slash-weirdo, not the World's Greatest anything. His stories should be on a more relatable level. It just didn't ring true for me. And the script and art weren't compelling enough to carry me along for the ride.

#13 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,412 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 07:43 PM

I think if they wanted to shake things up, they could have brought the retired from superheroics Peter Parker, married to Mary Jane, and raising their baby version from the "Brand New Day" Secret Wars event back to the Marvel Universe. Replaced Spider Man with Ultimate Spider Man (since he's already in the Marvel Universe with his own title). Then, went from there. Instead, Marvel wants to make as much cash as possible, so they're putting out a ton of Spider titles at once. So, there's now Amazing Spider Man, Ultimate Spider Man, and other Spider titles all coming out. It also would have made Secret Wars seem to mean something more, to make some changes in existing characters,, rather than just have Peter Parker start off where his book ended before Secret Wars.
-Oscar Wilde

#14 JasonT

JasonT

Stressing over cat urine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,113 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 08:59 PM

View PostChristian, on 18 October 2015 - 07:43 PM, said:

I think if they wanted to shake things up, they could have brought the retired from superheroics Peter Parker, married to Mary Jane, and raising their baby version from the "Brand New Day" Secret Wars event back to the Marvel Universe. Replaced Spider Man with Ultimate Spider Man (since he's already in the Marvel Universe with his own title). Then, went from there.

Did you intend that to be a swipe at what DC is doing with Superman? :smile:

View PostChristian, on 18 October 2015 - 07:43 PM, said:

... Marvel wants to make as much cash as possible, so they're putting out a ton of Spider titles at once...

At least that's traditional. :wink2:

#15 dogpoet

dogpoet

From Hell's heart I strike at thee...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,789 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 07:45 PM

Can they not hurry up and reboot everything instead of wasting time with all this arse dribble?

#16 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,412 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 09:59 PM

Another reboot, you say? In Infinite Secret Wars, coming Fall 2016! All Completely New, All Completely Different Marvel Universe to follow with all completely new, all completely different #1s of all of Marvel's titles! Such long tenured books as Avengers and X-Men, both clocking in at 8 whole issues a piece, will see new #1s for the first in nearly one whole year! Everything you knew about the Marvel Universe will be changed....except, it won't be changed very much from what you remember. Wait for Final Secret Wars in 2017 for a full reboot of the Marvel Universe!
-Oscar Wilde

#17 dogpoet

dogpoet

From Hell's heart I strike at thee...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,789 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 01:27 AM

Meh.

#18 JasonT

JasonT

Stressing over cat urine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,113 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 12:19 AM

That Sam Wilson: Captain America comic that's been in the news is pretty darn good. Can't wait for issue 2. I hope the writer and artist can keep up the impressive level of work.

#19 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,412 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 08:10 PM

You think it's that good? I mean, for a Cap comic featuring social commentary, it does that well.
But, it doesn't really feel like Captain America. You have characters like Luke Cage or Daredevil to deal with threats to the "little guy". Cap was always a big player. I just think that maybe I'd enjoy the book better if Sam Wilson were still Falcon, if that's the direction. Also, it's historical revisionism to say that Cap has never "cared about the little guy". He has divided his time to fighting things like racists as well as fighting world-threatening menaces. He's never addressed the immigration debate, as far as I know. I just don't know about Steve Rogers being so pro-government now. Rogers was always portrayed as representing the people in the United States, not its government (well, ignoring the Stan Lee Cold War years). During Civil War, Cap stood up to the W. Bush/Tony Stark regime. I get the idea that Steve Rogers is an old man now, and Sam Wilson is young, prepared to deal with the world the way it is in 2015.
I just think that part of my problem stands from the way Sam Wilson is being written a "poor man's Captain America" all the time. It started with Remender, when he made Wilson Cap. After that point, it was always like Sam Wilson needed help, like he was some novice who was just starting out as a superhero, rather than the guy who's been the Falcon for all these years. It was like Remender was saying, "This guy just isn't as good as Steve Rogers, but he'll have to do." That made me wonder what the point of making an African-American Cap was about. Now, Spencer's just sort of given up, and admitted that Sam Wilson is still the Falcon, no matter his code name. Yes, he's involved in real-world issues that I don't have a problem seeing addressed. I don't know.
I'm not saying I dislike the book or that it's not well written. I do think it is.

I didn't realize it had been in the news.
-Oscar Wilde

#20 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,412 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 08:33 PM

Ha ha! I looked online for the new Captain America comic in the news, and found a FOX News link, where it say the new Cap is a liberal targeting Conservatives. Hilarious! The Sons of the Serpent are Marvel's answer to the KKK (although Marvel has the real KKK as part of their universe as well, as per McGregor's Black Panther run). So, FOX News is saying that the KKK represents Conservatives! That's the type of company I'm sure Republicans want associated with them, as they try to explain that Republicans are not racists! The group calls themselves the Sons of the Serpent because they believe that African-Americans are a different species from white people, who have the bloodline of the serpent from the Garden of Eden, rather than Adam. Hence, African-Americans are not really human. A belief that is shared by some real world racists, believe it or not! Does FOX News really want to stand up for a group like the Sons of the Serpent?
Obviously, it's Spencer's satire of Trump, but the Sons of the Serpents are murderers killing innocents.
Obviously, FOX News never read the Steven Englehart Cap run. Anti-Communists as crazy loons. Richard Nixon as the ultimate bad guy. Yeah, Cap was never liberal before.
-Oscar Wilde

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users