100 replies to this topic

#1 Shawn

Shawn

conjurer of cheap tricks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:11 PM

Hey! Many of us love the Hellboy world. So let's have a thread about such things.
To start, here's a preview of Hellboy In Hell #1 & #2.
Looks amazing. Great to see Mignola back on art
http://www.comicbook...rticle&id=42300
We have more possibilities available in each moment than we realize. - Thich Nhat Hanh

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity - Edgar Allan Poe

https://twitter.com/shawn1163

#2 Lou K

Lou K

POWAH!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,815 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:18 PM

Awesome!

Didn't know the new HB was ongoing. Cannot wait. Glad to have Mignola back (although Corben and the other fellow whose name escapes me did an excellent job).
In the age of the internet someone's sensibility is ALWAYS being tested.

~ James

Posted Image

#3 A. Heathen

A. Heathen

The wisdom of Dick (Solomon)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,332 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:35 PM

The other guy was Duncan Fegredo (who withdrew from Unwritten to do Hellboy and did a cracking job).

This book and associated series are exactly what I like about ensemble team books, a genre which I mostly do not like.
I have a backlog of recent issues to read at my Dad's so that's Xmas sorted.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
"But that's the whole point, it's supernatural, these things happen.
It's not supposed to be realistic in that sense."

#4 Lou K

Lou K

POWAH!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,815 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:17 PM

Cheers, I thought it was Fegredo, and he did a marvelous job.

Gotta go back and get all the BPRD stuff my collection is lacking..

~ James

Posted Image

#5 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,412 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:24 PM

I'm excited that Hellboy in Hell is an ongoing also. I thought it was going to be a series of mini-series, and there'd be months of wait between each mini-series.
I just hope that with a monthly BPRD, a BPRD mini-series, and now Hellboy monthly that Mignola is able to give enough attention to Hellbody to continue the quality that last Hellboy story-arc showed.

I'm all caught up on Mignola-verse comics now, and have both Hellboy and BPRD on my pull list.
"I wish it were fin du globe," said Dorian with a sigh.
"Life is such a great disappointment."
-Oscar Wilde

#6 Rogan

Rogan

Queer Eye For The Cam Whore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,483 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:02 AM

While I like Hellboy a lot, somehow I've always avoided the B.P.R.D. comics, and other spinoffs, dunno why, even though I've heard nothing but good stuff about them. What's a good place to start? Anyone have a good reading order?
Rule #1 to posting on this forum - don't take anything Rogan says personally, or seriously for that matter!
- John McMahon, Forum High Priest and "The Green Mountain Boy"

Anyway, this is a wonderful series, and I'm eternally in Rogan's debt for bringing it to my attention.
- Mike Carey, on La Bete Noire

"Yes I admit it I did occasionally think you came close to being humorous a few times."
- Electricinca, in conversation with Rogan.

#7 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,412 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:46 AM

I was once like you. I only read Hellboy.
Then, they had the Witchfinder mini-series, and he was one of my favourite characters from Hellboy. I always wondered, "What happened to him? How did he end up with the Fair-folk?".
That led to me reading BPRD, and I've now read the entire Mignola-verse (including Baltimore).
BPRD is quite good, although not at the level of Hellboy.

It depends on if you if you want to be a completist, or just read the best books.
If you only want to read the best, you can start with vol. 3:Plague of Frogs.
The first two volumns are short story collections, and missable. Plague is where BPRD starts tying into the continuity.
BPRD gets really good starting with vol. 4:The Dead, which leads to a succession of great stories until the end of the "Frogs" story-line, which is vol. 11:The Black Goddess.
-Oscar Wilde

#8 Rogan

Rogan

Queer Eye For The Cam Whore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,483 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:48 AM

Cheers, Christian.
Rule #1 to posting on this forum - don't take anything Rogan says personally, or seriously for that matter!
- John McMahon, Forum High Priest and "The Green Mountain Boy"

Anyway, this is a wonderful series, and I'm eternally in Rogan's debt for bringing it to my attention.
- Mike Carey, on La Bete Noire

"Yes I admit it I did occasionally think you came close to being humorous a few times."
- Electricinca, in conversation with Rogan.

#9 Shawn

Shawn

conjurer of cheap tricks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:34 PM

I too have not read as much BPRD as I'd like to. I never seem to be drawn to it, but when I do read it I've enjoyed it. Same goes for Lobster Johnson.
However, I'm still unsure about the BPRD basically being SHIELD but for paranormal stuff. I kind of liked it when they were more under the radar. It's a natural progression I suppose

Wasn't there mention somewhere that coming in the next year or so, there will be more cross-over/interaction between Hellboy & BPRD? I think it's time.
We have more possibilities available in each moment than we realize. - Thich Nhat Hanh

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity - Edgar Allan Poe

https://twitter.com/shawn1163

#10 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,412 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:06 PM

Probably it'll happen eventually. Depends on what happens with Hellboy in Hell, I guess.

I agree with you, Shawn, that BPRD has gone downhill since the "New World" started. That was always my appeal to the Hellboy universe, as well. It was mysterious. It was more personal. I like Godzilla, but I like more circumspect horror, not big monsters destroying the world, belief by the masses, on the broadcast media, affecting government. It takes all the romance out of horror!
Right now, there's BPRD:1948, which is the best BPRD series since they started the "New World" stuff....of course, it's a flashback story, not set during "New World" too.
I've been just sort of buying and reading the BPRD books without a lot of enthusiasm, because it's what I do, and I'm the best there is at what I do, dammit! But, the recent story-arc, "Return of the Master" I've enjoyed more than the majority of the "New World" books.
It has been steadily improving, I'll say that. I hated the first couple of "New World" mini-series, as it was everything I did not want to see in a Hellboy-universe comic, but it hasn't been as bad as that, but it's not the same as the earlier stories either.
-Oscar Wilde

#11 JasonT

JasonT

Stressing over cat urine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,113 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:24 AM

I don't bother with BPRD, but love the core Hellboy books. When we do those "year's best" threads, Hellboy titles are always in there. I strongly endorse this thread. Posted Image

#12 Avaunt

Avaunt

Doesn't actually mean lawful nice.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,488 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:56 AM

Man, you guys are missing out on some awesome comic books!.

The art alone is worth the entry fee. The stories are awesome, and really catch the sort of frail-ty of this thing we call civilisation. It all works wonderful when everyone is playing from something like the same song-book . . .

People do try to overthrow the status quo here and there, but almost always only so they can bring it back under new management. The Frogs ain't about all that.
"A novel, according to my taste, does not come into the first class unless it contains some person whom one can thoroughly love, and if a petty woman all the better.
C.Darwin.

#13 Lou K

Lou K

POWAH!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,815 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:10 PM

I read the 1st BPRD TPB (wat) and wasn't overly impresssed. I need to give it another chance.

~ James

Posted Image

#14 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,412 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:45 AM

Yes, you do, Lou. The first Trade is just inconsequential short stories. I wasn't overly impressed either, although I love the concept of The Hollow Earth being incorporated into Hellboy-lore. It plays a much larger role as the series progresses.
The second Trade is even more passable.
The third Trade starts to get good, and I'd start from there, as the "Frogs" story-arc starts there, and it's good to start at the beginning, of course. But, even if vol. 3 doesn't do it for you, give vo. 4 ("The Dead") a chance, as that's where the series really picks up and starts mining the mythology.
If you're STILL not impressed (you must be in need of therapy!), then BPRD isn't your thing.
-Oscar Wilde

#15 Avaunt

Avaunt

Doesn't actually mean lawful nice.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,488 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:49 AM

What he said.

Plus, remember it is a story for grownups. Come prepared.
"A novel, according to my taste, does not come into the first class unless it contains some person whom one can thoroughly love, and if a petty woman all the better.
C.Darwin.

#16 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,412 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:34 AM

I have to admit, I'm pretty disappointed with the latest BPRD issue.
It's been a while since I've read the entire Hellboy and BPRD universe, so maybe there are prophecies that I'm forgetting.
But, right now, it feels like the title is running around in circles, going nowhere. I'm starting to wonder if Mignola has a plan, or if he wrote himself into a corner, and is now just publishing the book to have a series, rather than for the sake of telling the story.
I'm sure things will be interesting with Hellboy, but the main story seems to be focused on BPRD, as this is supposed to be leading up to (maybe) the end of the world. Obviously, I don't think Mignola is ending the book with humanity dying off, but from a fictional perspective, that's where we're supposed to be moving with BPRD, is what I mean. Instead, it feels like the "New World" stories are just repeating, and in a much less interesting manner (more action over the substance of the earlier BPRD stories).
I certainly don't want to see "military-type guys fighting giant monsters to try to preserve what's left of civilization" for the foreseeable future.
Like I said, though, maybe I've just forgotten the hints to the future directions that Mignola laid in earlier stories, and this is all moving towards somewhere different.
-Oscar Wilde

#17 Lou K

Lou K

POWAH!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,815 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:33 PM

Cheers for the suggestion CC. I'll likely start grabbing trades. And being the completist I can sometimes be I will get #2 and reread my copy of #1, knowing that it all gets better with #3.

Give me something to buy on those slow comic weeks.

~ James

Posted Image

#18 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,412 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:31 PM

It should be fun. I sometimes wish I had more Hellboy and BPRD stories to find, but I've read everything, and the best days seem behind the books now (Hellboy in Hell might still be good though).
Plus, reading BPRD in a monthly dose just isn't the same as having a stack of the Trades waiting to read in order.
The five-part story-arcs for the "New World" series are pretty slow going on a monthly basis, as nothing seems to happen until the final issue.
-Oscar Wilde

#19 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,412 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:33 PM

Hellboy in Hell #1-Kind of a slow start, but overall, very good.
Mignola's Hell bears resemblance to Dante's Inferno and somewhat of Carey's Lucifer I sensed.
Of course the role of Grey in the story gets my nod of approval. I'm even more interested in him now.
-Oscar Wilde

#20 Lou K

Lou K

POWAH!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,815 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:48 AM

Have to re-read it. was blinding drunk. seem to remember like i was let down

~ James

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users