94 replies to this topic

#81 dogpoet

dogpoet

Fappy, the anti-masturbation dolphin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,589 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 05:46 PM

Not read Van hamme, so I wouldn't know him, but how many times has Stephen King retired now? he's spent most of the last fifteen years publishing final novels, hasn't he?

#82 metanoia

metanoia

Nick Necro

• Members
  • 529 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 12:25 PM

Is anyone else going to be reading Jerusalem,  his 1,000,000 word book which is apparently only really 600,000 words.  It's out tomorrow.

#83 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,257 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 05:33 PM

That's the sequel to Voices of the Fire, isn't it? Probably not. I wasn't that big of a fan of the first novel.
"I wish it were fin du globe," said Dorian with a sigh.
"Life is such a great disappointment."
-Oscar Wilde

#84 dogpoet

dogpoet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,589 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 06:32 PM

I much preferred VOTF to most of the comics he's done since, so I'll probably be getting that one.

#85 JasonT

JasonT

Stressing over cat urine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 08:39 PM

I thought Voices of the Fire was genius, and would like to read Jerusalem, but the sheer size of it is daunting. I like to read by the river and that thing would be like carrying a brick. (And no, I don't dig e-books.)

#86 metanoia

metanoia

Nick Necro

• Members
  • 529 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 12:40 PM

I got an e-mail from Amazon on the day of release to say that my copy of Jerusalem had been delayed,  I was quite disappointed so I sent them a complaint E-mail.  They gave me credit on my Prime membership to the amount of the Kindle edition so I could start reading it whilst I wait for my copy.  Quite handy really because it is a bloody big book to carry around.  Only read a little bit so far (2% according to my kindle) I like it.

#87 seventhcircle

seventhcircle

living circlejerk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 07:43 AM

View PostChristian, on 30 July 2016 - 07:38 PM, said:

Buy it! It's great! It's nothing like the awful Neonomicon. It's one of the best Lovecraftian tie-in books I've seen, because it's far more than being about writing a pastiche of Lovecraft.
really nice. i have bought the first two trades (four issues each). so worth it. it has the right feel to it, the storytelling is great and i love the mixture of genres and the meta-irony in the diary. i would have wished for a grittier colorization, but the detail in the art is nice.
well i mean of cause it will be ruined once alan moore pulls the inevitable fish-rape again :laugh:

Of cause you keep going on. We.. we all keep going on. If we stop laughing, than they have won.
[Alfonse. french-german Comedian, 17.11.15]

#88 A. Heathen

A. Heathen

The wisdom of Dick (Solomon)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,303 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 02:02 PM

I really enjoyed Providence more than pretty much any other Avatar book by Alan Moore.

For the reasons stated above by Christian.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
"But that's the whole point, it's supernatural, these things happen.
It's not supposed to be realistic in that sense."

#89 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,257 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 08:04 PM

So, was #11 the final issue of Providence? I'm seeing contradictory information online. It was originally scheduled to be a 10 issue series, then it was expanded to a 12 issue series, but some sites list #11 as the final issue.
Issue #11 certainly comes off as a definitive ending for the book, although I got a hint that Moore could take the reader in to the future for a final issue, but that was just a conjecture on my part. #11 probably is the final issue, I was just wondering if anyone had any concrete information it really is finished now.

I enjoyed seeing all those writers influenced by Lovecraft make cameo appearances at the end of the issue. I never expected to see names like Frank Belknap Long or RH Barlow make an appearance in a comic book. Those who haven't followed the influence of Lovecraft on popular culture or have knowledge of the "Lovecraft Circle" will probably be highly confused by the ending of this book.
-Oscar Wilde

#90 Lou K

Lou K

POWAH!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,712 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 03:14 PM

#12 comes out this week.
In the age of the internet someone's sensibility is ALWAYS being tested.

~ James

Posted Image

#91 seventhcircle

seventhcircle

living circlejerk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 11:43 AM

nice that means they tpb will someday arrive over here too.

Of cause you keep going on. We.. we all keep going on. If we stop laughing, than they have won.
[Alfonse. french-german Comedian, 17.11.15]

#92 A. Heathen

A. Heathen

The wisdom of Dick (Solomon)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,303 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:58 PM

Thanks to this forum's comics this week thread I decided not to go to the comics shop this week.
Providence was the only one that tempted me.

Can one of you people send me your unwanted Visitor Hellboyy Spin off #1 please?
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
"But that's the whole point, it's supernatural, these things happen.
It's not supposed to be realistic in that sense."

#93 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,257 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 01:42 AM

#12-Eh, somehow I felt last issue felt like a better finale.
This actually would fit better with Borges than Lovecraft.
I'm sure everyone will be glad to know that this wrapped up the story-line from Moore's beloved Neonomicon.
Perhaps, it was the S.T. Joshi fan-boy element that served to take something away from the power of the story.

Not a bad ending, it just didn't feel as monumental after the amazing eleven issues beforehand. It still ends on a high note, and I would definitely recommend this as a must-read comic.
-Oscar Wilde

#94 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,257 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:56 AM

I also picked up William Messner Loebs' Necronomicon mini-series, from back in 2008, this week. It's really very, very good. So, why is this in an Alan Moore thread? Two reasons.
First, it sort of reinforces Moore's hypothesis about the strangeness of the eternal persistence of Lovecraft in popular culture. I had no idea that Messner Loebs was interested in all-things Lovecraftian, yet it shouldn't have come as a surprise, since almost everyone has been inculcated with the Mythos seeds by this point.
Secondly, it shows how unfair the comic book world is, that Messner Loebs' incredibly fine piece of Lovecraftian fiction was completely ignored (I barely even heard about it back in 2008), while Moore's Lovecraftian fiction reaps heaps of praise. I'm not talking about the genius of Providence, which is one of the finest works of Lovecraftian fiction in any medium. Yet, look at the attention and praise that Moore's Neonomicon received, when it was trash. Messner Loebs' Necronomicon deserved twice the praise of Moore's Neonomicon, yet most comic readers don't even know the name of Messner Loebs.

So, anyway, what's this one about? It takes place in the 1920s. A foreign exchange student from Arabia is studying in Arkham, when he takes a job for a local branch of the Theosophical Society attempting to translate the copy of the Necronomicon. There is some meta-commentary about anti-Semitism, as the main character befriends two fellow students, one of whom is a Jewish/Zionist female. The art is very nice also, fitting nicely the period piece. It's definitely worth checking out if you're a fan of Lovecraftian fiction. Not quite the masterpiece of Providence, but head and shoulders above a lot of the Lovecraft inspired drivel that litters the sub-genre.
-Oscar Wilde

#95 dogpoet

dogpoet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,589 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:42 AM

Is it as good as Mike Vosberg's Lori Lovecraft, though?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users