9 replies to this topic

#1 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,265 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 11:49 PM

Wow. That was, without a doubt, one of the worst comics I have ever read. Never have I read so many words without any meaning. It was like a bunch of random conversations put together. I have no idea what the point of any of this is meant to be. There's supposed to be some over-arcing plot here, no idea.
Not even the Hanna Barbara team-up advertised at the end of this issue could be as big of a mess as this.
Actually, a Herculoids comic doesn't sound like such a bad idea...Throwing in Jonny Quest is the problem. I loved the Jonny Quest cartoon too, but this team-up sounds like a really bad idea. A good idea is relaunching this title, because it's hopeless. The next book can't actually get any worse, can it? I thought Constantine was a bad series though.
I'd give it a 1, because the entire time I felt, "Words. Words. More words. Why won't this issue just end?".
"I wish it were fin du globe," said Dorian with a sigh.
"Life is such a great disappointment."
-Oscar Wilde

#2 Speedblazer

Speedblazer

Street Magician

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 06:19 AM

The art is horrendous I just gotta say. I mean I don't wanna be judgmental or anything, but the art just looks strange. I didn't bother reading the actual comic, but I basically saw John be possessed by a girl and acting like an absolute dumbass everywhere he went. HOW the hell can you get on a plane acting like that and NOT be questioned by officials? At that point I just closed the comic after that. And then there's just...the talking. So much and all going no where...again. CTH feels so strange and just doesn't have anything close to HB to me anymore. I can't say I'll be going on with being a John Constantine fan if THIS is what's happening to him. I hope the Rebirth fixes things for me cause...this is just sad.

#3 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,218 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 08:12 AM

Ouch, the preview over on CBR was alright I thought.
featherweight champion, cheap to get pissed

#4 lady_constantine

lady_constantine

Hogwarts Graduate

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 04:39 PM

View PostSpeedblazer, on 14 April 2016 - 06:19 AM, said:

The art is horrendous I just gotta say. I mean I don't wanna be judgmental or anything, but the art just looks strange. I didn't bother reading the actual comic, but I basically saw John be possessed by a girl and acting like an absolute dumbass everywhere he went. HOW the hell can you get on a plane acting like that and NOT be questioned by officials? At that point I just closed the comic after that. And then there's just...the talking. So much and all going no where...again. CTH feels so strange and just doesn't have anything close to HB to me anymore. I can't say I'll be going on with being a John Constantine fan if THIS is what's happening to him. I hope the Rebirth fixes things for me cause...this is just sad.

actually,I like the art for that issue-- I just don't evern read this mess anymore.I drop by out of curiousity
Wanna know what ol' Conjob gets up to nowadays? Read 'The Laughing Magician's Journal http://a-laughing-magicians-journal.blogspot.com/'.Also,check out his latest adventures at 'Elseworlds Legends http://elseworlds-legends.blogspot.com/ http://so-tru-review.blogspot.com/

#5 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,265 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 06:19 PM

I did not like the art either.

The airplane scene was explained, by using John's hypnotic powers. The hostess questioned John, saying he couldn't get on a plane. OK, so there's suspension of disbelief of where was DHS and all of that. Yeah, in reality, even with hypnotic powers, John probably would have been shot.
It was a stupid scene, regardless.

I'm not sure what Neron is supposed to be trying to accomplish, and I'm not sure what John is supposed to be doing about it. So, basically, the story reads like John running around with people telling him he should do something, but without any actual content. The story just bugged me. Lots and lots and lots of words, without explaining anything, except that John was in LA (for some reason) and had to be in NYC (for some reason), but he wanted to avoid NYC.
-Oscar Wilde

#6 lady_constantine

lady_constantine

Hogwarts Graduate

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 07:41 PM

in all honesty,I am starting to wonder if they should maybe lay constantine down for awhile.I know they're gonna reboot it,but I just don't know what's gonna happen.we may just have to retreat back to hellblazer--like I was doing,re-reading old issues and all.
Wanna know what ol' Conjob gets up to nowadays? Read 'The Laughing Magician's Journal http://a-laughing-magicians-journal.blogspot.com/'.Also,check out his latest adventures at 'Elseworlds Legends http://elseworlds-legends.blogspot.com/ http://so-tru-review.blogspot.com/

#7 Lou K

Lou K

POWAH!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,715 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 07:57 PM

View Postlady_constantine, on 14 April 2016 - 07:41 PM, said:

in all honesty,I am starting to wonder if they should maybe lay constantine down for awhile.

It's why I said kill him off. Make him disappear. I'd rather he be gone entirely then hammering out shit rags like this one. If you're not going to do it right then don't do it.
In the age of the internet someone's sensibility is ALWAYS being tested.

~ James

Posted Image

#8 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,265 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 08:14 PM

Oh yeah, that's the one great thing about DC messing around with the character, it doesn't really matter what they do with him. They can turn him in to the Flash's side-kick, who suddenly has magical speed powers. I can just stop buying the damn thing. We can always just go back and read the classic Hellblazer stories. They're always there for us, no matter what DC does to the character. It's just a shame that DC seems to keep wanting to reboot this character, but then seem to not care at all about making him in any way interesting. It's a bizarre choice. The sales seem to be low enough where there's no reason for DC to keep bothering with the character anymore.
I'll keep reading it as long as it doesn't stray too far away from John Constantine (although, this version of the character is really unrecognizable as the same character from Hellblazer), because I'm an obsessive collector like that, but it's so far down on my list of "must read" comic books.

It's my last link to DC also. Outside of Constantine, I don't read any DCU books anymore. The big relaunch that's coming up looks like another mess to me. I can't see buying any of those titles monthly, outside of The Hellblazer. (I'll probably give Suicide Squad a chance, but if it's not like the John Ostrander or original Gail Simone versions, I doubt it will entice me to read it monthly.) It seems like DC only cares about Batman readers anymore. If you want to read a monthly Batman book, it seems like DC is going to provide for you, but if you want to read any other characters, it seems like DC doesn't even care.
I like Batman, but the character has lost my interest since back in the "New 52" Snyder run. It was ok, but the story-arcs would go for a year....he was writing novels, instead of serialized monthly episodic fiction. I got tired. Personally, I feel like if I really want to read Batman, I can just do the same as I can do with Hellblazer....I can go back and read O'Neil or Englehart or Alan Grant or Frank Miller. I don't need to buy the new books. There's nothing that interesting or different going on with Bruce Wayne.

I have more of a connection with the Marvel Universe. I still want to care about those characters and see what's going on with them. With DC, I've always enjoyed reading the stories based on strong creative teams. Plus, Marvel seems to have most of the top writers working for the "Big Two" now. Most of DC's writers don't compel me to hunt down the books they are writing, half of the DC writers I've never even heard about before.

There's only two more issues to go of this book, then we'll see if Simon Oliver can actually mess the character up any worse.
-Oscar Wilde

#9 lady_constantine

lady_constantine

Hogwarts Graduate

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 12:32 AM

that we will.

it's depressing really.i'm guilty of being just a batman reader,that and i do read suicide squad (best depictions of harley quinn in the verse to me along with the fact that it's a bit more down to earth than alot of the other tittles...incidently batman too.another reason i do hellblazer.) I do think it's odd that they keep picking up johnny and dropping the ball with him.

#10 dogpoet

dogpoet

Fappy, the anti-masturbation dolphin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,600 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 01:37 PM

I'd imagine it's mostly because they want to keep the character as a going concern, but don't have a clue what to do with him at an editorial level. DC's current set up seems to be having editors dictate storylines to the creators on the comics, and it could possible that in the absence of those sort of dictats, the writers just don't feel very comfortable trying to write about the guy as a character.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users