The Hellblazer #4

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Poll: The Hellblazer #4 (2 member(s) have cast votes)

Your marks out of 10 for The Hellblazer #4, please...

1. 1 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 2 (0 votes [0.00%])

3. 3 (0 votes [0.00%])

4. 4 (0 votes [0.00%])

5. 5 (0 votes [0.00%])

6. 6 (0 votes [0.00%])

7. 7 (2 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

8. 8 (0 votes [0.00%])

9. 9 (0 votes [0.00%])

10. 10 (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,218 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 09:50 AM

THE HELLBLAZER #4

Written by SIMON OLIVER
Art by MORITAT
Cover by JOHN CASSADAY
Variant cover by YASMINE PUTRI

Posted Image Posted Image

“THE POISON TRUTH” part four! It turns out that Chas’s gangster trouble may be John’s best opportunity to defeat the djinn. That is, they will be if they don’t catch on to the con he’s pulling.

Five page preview here.
featherweight champion, cheap to get pissed

#2 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,265 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 10:49 PM

This story seems to be sort of a mess. There seems to be too much going on. Djinn. Swamp Thing. John Constantine and Chas. I could definitely do without whatever the hell Swamp Thing's role in all of this is meant to be, as it's taking away from more interesting plots.
The John Constantine/Chas story was a really interesting one. If this were a "done in one" story with that plot, this would be a very, very strong Hellblazer story.
As it stands, I still enjoyed that story.
I'll give this a 7, as this was the strongest issue of the relaunch yet. This is probably the strongest overall Hellblazer story I've read since the beginning of the Milligan run, actually. It's just a shame it's saddled with countless other less interesting plots, instead of telling a nicely political little John Constantine story.
"I wish it were fin du globe," said Dorian with a sigh.
"Life is such a great disappointment."
-Oscar Wilde

#3 Demon Chas08

Demon Chas08

Con Artist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,138 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 11:50 PM

View PostChristian, on 23 November 2016 - 10:49 PM, said:

This story seems to be sort of a mess. There seems to be too much going on. Djinn. Swamp Thing. John Constantine and Chas. I could definitely do without whatever the hell Swamp Thing's role in all of this is meant to be, as it's taking away from more interesting plots.
The John Constantine/Chas story was a really interesting one. If this were a "done in one" story with that plot, this would be a very, very strong Hellblazer story.
As it stands, I still enjoyed that story.
I'll give this a 7, as this was the strongest issue of the relaunch yet. This is probably the strongest overall Hellblazer story I've read since the beginning of the Milligan run, actually. It's just a shame it's saddled with countless other less interesting plots, instead of telling a nicely political little John Constantine story.

The Swamp Thing plot would be better suited to another volume for the Bog God otherwise this is just another episode of "DC bashes Alan Moore* while neutering his successors (sans Milligan) in being the caretakers of our John

*aka throw the very comic that would saw the Charlton comic heroes in the very roles their expies are apart of under the bus while giving the very worst of early 90s business practices a pass because "STFU and Batman"
"Ha ha! Cookies on dowels!"- Phil Ken Sebben circa 2001

For Doctor Who, Torchwood, Bernice Summerfield & Sarah Jane reviews go to: www.doctorwhoreviews.co.uk

For Doctor Who Chronology: http://drwhocontinut...e.blogspot.com/

#4 GottaGetAGrip

GottaGetAGrip

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 04:31 AM

I enjoyed the gangster stuff, but I did find myself glazing over the Swamp Thing stuff. Did anyone else find it very corny when Swamp Thing began speaking his thoughts out loud in some of the panels?

As a word of note, this is Moritat's last issue as artist: Philip Tan will be taking over as the regular artist starting #7.

#5 Demon Chas08

Demon Chas08

Con Artist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,138 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 01:48 PM

View PostGottaGetAGrip, on 24 November 2016 - 04:31 AM, said:

I enjoyed the gangster stuff, but I did find myself glazing over the Swamp Thing stuff. Did anyone else find it very corny when Swamp Thing began speaking his thoughts out loud in some of the panels?

As a word of note, this is Moritat's last issue as artist: Philip Tan will be taking over as the regular artist starting #7.

Think they should've gotten the artist who did the Future's End one-ahot from two volumes before. Tan's isn't a good fit

For Doctor Who, Torchwood, Bernice Summerfield & Sarah Jane reviews go to: www.doctorwhoreviews.co.uk

#6 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,218 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 01:50 PM

View PostChristian, on 23 November 2016 - 10:49 PM, said:

I could definitely do without whatever the hell Swamp Thing's role in all of this is meant to be, as it's taking away from more interesting plots.

According to the interview posted in the thread for #3, Swamp Thing is there by editorial mandate.
featherweight champion, cheap to get pissed

#7 dogpoet

dogpoet

Fappy, the anti-masturbation dolphin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,600 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 04:38 PM

View PostDemon Chas08, on 23 November 2016 - 11:50 PM, said:

The Swamp Thing plot would be better suited to another volume for the Bog God otherwise this is just another episode of "DC bashes Alan Moore* while neutering his successors (sans Milligan) in being the caretakers of our John

*aka throw the very comic that would saw the Charlton comic heroes in the very roles their expies are apart of under the bus while giving the very worst of early 90s business practices a pass because "STFU and Batman"
If you're saying what I think you're saying here, I find it difficult to give DC a hard time over it. Expecting them to drop an issue that Moore still makes a point of whining about in every interview he does over a quarter of a century later seems a bit like playing favourites to me.

#8 Demon Chas08

Demon Chas08

Con Artist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,138 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 07:10 PM

View Postdogpoet, on 25 November 2016 - 04:38 PM, said:

View PostDemon Chas08, on 23 November 2016 - 11:50 PM, said:

If you're saying what I think you're saying here, I find it difficult to give DC a hard time over it. Expecting them to drop an issue that Moore still makes a point of whining about in every interview he does over a quarter of a century later seems a bit like playing favourites to me.

Least he doesn't whine through his writing (I'm looking at you, Geoff Johns)

#9 A. Heathen

A. Heathen

The wisdom of Dick (Solomon)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,303 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 03:01 PM

I quite like the different style of art.
Could do with a bit more consistently drawn body for JC.

I am wondering if the advent of an adversary of middle eastern origin will go the good way or the bad way.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
"But that's the whole point, it's supernatural, these things happen.
It's not supposed to be realistic in that sense."

#10 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,265 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 05:34 PM

I'm sure it's just being used to explore the mythology of another culture, introduce another concept of "evil" from a non-European perspective. I doubt Oliver is planning to create a plot where the Djinn are planning to implement a terrorist attack in the name of Islam. Especially with Oliver making points about anti-immigrant hate in his sub-plots.
The fact that John explained about the actual myths of the Djinn in the last issue, and made a remark about the culturally insensitive Disney version of such, was probably a good sign.
"I wish it were fin du globe," said Dorian with a sigh.
"Life is such a great disappointment."
-Oscar Wilde

#11 dogpoet

dogpoet

Fappy, the anti-masturbation dolphin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,600 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 01:55 PM

View PostA. Heathen, on 27 November 2016 - 03:01 PM, said:

Could do with a bit more consistently drawn body for JC...
Posted Image
?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users