#1 A. Heathen

A. Heathen

The wisdom of Dick (Solomon)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,303 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 05:25 PM

I'm out.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
"But that's the whole point, it's supernatural, these things happen.
It's not supposed to be realistic in that sense."

#2 GottaGetAGrip

GottaGetAGrip

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 09:20 PM

It feels to me like this Constantine is just flopping back and forth between self-loather and selfish dickwad depending on what the writers need to move their story along.

#3 seventhcircle

seventhcircle

living circlejerk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 11:33 PM

that is not mutually exclusive thoug.
on a sidenote: dickwad

Of cause you keep going on. We.. we all keep going on. If we stop laughing, than they have won.
[Alfonse. french-german Comedian, 17.11.15]

#4 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,265 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 11:41 PM

I don't know. The characterization doesn't feel fluent. It does feel like we're seeing two different interpretations of the character that the author is pulling out depending on the circumstances. John is more like Two Face than the Batman character has ever been! I really liked the John Constantine character that Doyle presented in the first issue. It was still a recognizable John Constantine, but had a distinctive tone to the character, making him other than simply an attempt to recapture the Hellblazer glory days when people liked the character more. We haven't seen that version of John since issue #1 though. He's been more superficial since.

There really wasn't anything good to say about this issue. A 4-part story-arc that felt like 12 parts, and could have been done in two. Writing that reads like someone trying to write like Brian Bendis, but having no ear for dialogue....and still trying to write like Bendis in 2015 isn't a positive thing, even if you do capture his feel for "repartee". On the positive side, it looks like Georginia is gone now. She ended up just being boring.
"I wish it were fin du globe," said Dorian with a sigh.
"Life is such a great disappointment."
-Oscar Wilde

#5 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,219 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 07:40 AM

Sounds like a good one.

Is this the end of the first arc ?  Have the five issues there but only read the first one.

edit : Christian answers that, dumbo.
featherweight champion, cheap to get pissed

#6 dogpoet

dogpoet

Fappy, the anti-masturbation dolphin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,600 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 03:53 PM

The fact that he still looks to be in his mid twenties despite sharing a birthdate with Alan Moore hasn't been explained by him draining the lifeforce from the cloud of ghosts who've slipped out of reality that accompany him, then?

#7 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,265 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 06:38 PM

Do you think that's actually the direction they're going, or just that the artist isn't doing a good job of portraying age? This version of John Constantine, portrayed in issue #1, was meant to be a younger version of John. He acted like a person in his 20s. Perhaps he's just become very, very immature....Milligan's John was immature for his age. I think maybe the shown birthdate was just an easter egg for long-time fans who remember when John was 60 years old, rather than a kiddie. I don't believe this John is really meant to be the same age as in HB.
Are there any ghosts left now, or did the Veronica-monster destroy them all? The ghosts were conspicuously absent this issue.

Oh, I forgot to mention the best part of the issue....That I actually saw that advertisement for a "Colonel Sanders of Two Worlds" comic book that DC is publishing....co-starring the Flash. Now, do you think they'll be charging money for this book? Just the fact that a thing like that can exist, and I know about it now from buying this comic, made it all worth it.
-Oscar Wilde

#8 Balthazar

Balthazar

Token Black Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 09:39 PM

Haven't picked it up but was hoping the responses would be favorable. If not, I don't think it's worth my continuing on. I'd rather spend cash on something else.

#9 dogpoet

dogpoet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,600 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 11:40 AM

View PostChristian, on 15 October 2015 - 06:38 PM, said:

Do you think that's actually the direction they're going, or just that the artist isn't doing a good job of portraying age? This version of John Constantine, portrayed in issue #1, was meant to be a younger version of John. He acted like a person in his 20s. Perhaps he's just become very, very immature....Milligan's John was immature for his age. I think maybe the shown birthdate was just an easter egg for long-time fans who remember when John was 60 years old, rather than a kiddie. I don't believe this John is really meant to be the same age as in HB.
Are there any ghosts left now, or did the Veronica-monster destroy them all? The ghosts were conspicuously absent this issue.
That's the direction I wished they were taking it, rather than the one it looked like they were going in the last issue I read, sadly.

#10 Demon Chas08

Demon Chas08

Con Artist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,138 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 03:19 PM

View PostChristian, on 14 October 2015 - 11:41 PM, said:

I don't know. The characterization doesn't feel fluent. It does feel like we're seeing two different interpretations of the character that the author is pulling out depending on the circumstances. John is more like Two Face than the Batman character has ever been! I really liked the John Constantine character that Doyle presented in the first issue. It was still a recognizable John Constantine, but had a distinctive tone to the character, making him other than simply an attempt to recapture the Hellblazer glory days when people liked the character more. We haven't seen that version of John since issue #1 though. He's been more superficial since.

There really wasn't anything good to say about this issue. A 4-part story-arc that felt like 12 parts, and could have been done in two. Writing that reads like someone trying to write like Brian Bendis, but having no ear for dialogue....and still trying to write like Bendis in 2015 isn't a positive thing, even if you do capture his feel for "repartee". On the positive side, it looks like Georginia is gone now. She ended up just being boring.

Thus why Tynion IV isn't a good wordsmith he thinks himself to be in his doing the comic's dialogue let alone the comic itself
"Ha ha! Cookies on dowels!"- Phil Ken Sebben circa 2001

For Doctor Who, Torchwood, Bernice Summerfield & Sarah Jane reviews go to: www.doctorwhoreviews.co.uk

For Doctor Who Chronology: http://drwhocontinut...e.blogspot.com/

#11 dogpoet

dogpoet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,600 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 05:31 PM

I thought it was Ming Doyle doing all the work and just fobbing some of the dialogue off to Tynion?

#12 Dave

Dave

Con Artist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 02:26 AM

I concur. A terrible ending. Im giving the book a few more issues before I bail
I'm in no condition to drive...wait! I shouldn't listen to myself, I'm drunk.

#13 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,265 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 03:04 AM

Rossmo is back for a one-parter next, so I'll stick around for that, at the very least. The book really needs a lot of improvement though.
-Oscar Wilde

#14 Demon Chas08

Demon Chas08

Con Artist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,138 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 02:46 AM

View Postdogpoet, on 16 October 2015 - 05:31 PM, said:

I thought it was Ming Doyle doing all the work and just fobbing some of the dialogue off to Tynion?

True. Neither are a good match
"Ha ha! Cookies on dowels!"- Phil Ken Sebben circa 2001

For Doctor Who, Torchwood, Bernice Summerfield & Sarah Jane reviews go to: www.doctorwhoreviews.co.uk

For Doctor Who Chronology: http://drwhocontinut...e.blogspot.com/

#15 Gwilym

Gwilym

Nick Necro's Boyfriend

• Members
  • 628 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 12:53 PM

I'm done too. I really don't get this series.

I mean, it is boring, right? We're bored? Maybe it's just not my thing, but it's hard to imagine it being anyone's, including the writer's. It feels like dead air.

I don't get why they made it a reboot, either. If they actually had ideas for what to do with the world, fine. But they don't. They can't even seem to decide whether or not they did reboot it.

I don't get it.
eatingarbyseatingarbyseatingarbys

#16 dogpoet

dogpoet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,600 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 04:29 PM

Maybe it's a portfolio thing that'll look good on the CV when looking for a job on a character they like more?

(Like the local government CEOs who spend six months failing to run a corrupt crooked town council in a shithole like Stoke or Tower Hamlets, then go off to get a job in a better council claiming that they've turned the whole thing around, so if they can do that with a bunch of con men there, think what they could do for a council in a town where decent folk live and the councillors aren't all crooks. This'd be the comics equivalent of that, I suppose.)

#17 A. Heathen

A. Heathen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,303 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 04:37 PM

I am never in favour of the creator-hating (it's alright, Demon Chas does my share of that) and think it's really something they like and that there's an audience for. They definitely like Sex Criminals.

I read a bunch of things after reading this that made me see what they are aiming at and how badly they miss what I like about those.

Deadly Class TPB#3 and They're Not Like Us #8 and Doctor Strange.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

#18 lady_constantine

lady_constantine

Hogwarts Graduate

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 06:44 PM

not feelin' it anymore.period.
more on this later
Wanna know what ol' Conjob gets up to nowadays? Read 'The Laughing Magician's Journal http://a-laughing-magicians-journal.blogspot.com/'.Also,check out his latest adventures at 'Elseworlds Legends http://elseworlds-legends.blogspot.com/ http://so-tru-review.blogspot.com/

#19 dogpoet

dogpoet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,600 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 07:29 PM

I didn't think I was h8in', Ade. It just doesn't look like they have any fondness for or interest in the character at all at this point, so I'm assuming they're doing this for some other reason.

#20 A. Heathen

A. Heathen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,303 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 03:42 PM

No i was being broad with my sense of hate.
On the Internet too many people are quick to ascribe malice or incompetence to creative solutions just because they (the reader) doesn't like something

In other news, for wordy but eloquent magical anti-heroes, the latest issue of Wolf is exquisellent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users