130 replies to this topic

#1 A. Heathen

A. Heathen

The wisdom of Dick (Solomon)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,318 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 11:38 PM

Pending news of a new reboot aka "not a reboot".

http://www.newsarama...n=&st_refQuery=
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
"But that's the whole point, it's supernatural, these things happen.
It's not supposed to be realistic in that sense."

#2 Dave

Dave

Con Artist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 03:12 AM

Well since i already quit on the current book, i wonder how this one will be different. Seems pretty soon to reboot that book though.
I'm in no condition to drive...wait! I shouldn't listen to myself, I'm drunk.

#3 Demon Chas08

Demon Chas08

Con Artist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 04:02 AM

https://youtu.be/YyMMSloVsck?t=31s
"Ha ha! Cookies on dowels!"- Phil Ken Sebben circa 2001

For Doctor Who, Torchwood, Bernice Summerfield & Sarah Jane reviews go to: www.doctorwhoreviews.co.uk

For Doctor Who Chronology: http://drwhocontinut...e.blogspot.com/

#4 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,267 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 08:44 AM

Stop trying to make Hellblazer happen.  It's not going to happen.

As mentioned elsewhere, I've been buying the current incarnation monthly (digitally) but haven't read past the first issue but the constant references to Constantine as a 'Hellblazer' in the solits bug the fuck out of me.

How about throwing us old gits a bone and seeing if anyone wants to write a six issue mini or something featuring Vertigo John ?
featherweight champion, cheap to get pissed

#5 A. Heathen

A. Heathen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,318 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 06:21 PM

Given that Action and Detective are starting with their proper numbering, maybe the whole event is to return the long-standing stories.

Nah.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

#6 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,378 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 07:01 PM

Is this going to be like a Marvel "reboot", where the book is exactly the same, except with a new number 1 issue?
I'm surprised that DC bothered to relaunch Hellblazer again, considering the sales figures are declining rapidly on the book. I thought this would be a chance to let the character fade in to obscurity. Someone at DC upper levels must like John Constantine, only, you know, not enough to make his book interesting.
I swear, DC looks less and less interesting with each of their reboots. Granted, I don't know which writers they're going to be using on which titles, but this looks like a really bare-bones line-up of DCU titles. Nothing looks interesting enough to draw me back to reading more than one or two DC titles a month.
Yeah, I wonder if this "rebirth" thing is solely to bring Action Comics and Detective Comics back to their original numbering, just so DC can claim to have books that reached issue #1,000. Otherwise, all the DC titles are going to be getting new #1 issues after less than 12 issues. That seems desperate, even for the relaunch heavy Big Two of 2016.
"I wish it were fin du globe," said Dorian with a sigh.
"Life is such a great disappointment."
-Oscar Wilde

#7 A. Heathen

A. Heathen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,318 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 07:28 PM

They should call it a "deboot".

#8 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,267 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 07:35 PM

View PostChristian, on 19 February 2016 - 07:01 PM, said:

I'm surprised that DC bothered to relaunch Hellblazer again

Scuttlebutt* is that they want to focus on their movie/TV franchises and that Constantine may be in line for a leading role in the next season of that Arrow/Flash spin-off thing with the Hawks and all that.

*I read it on Bleeding Cool
featherweight champion, cheap to get pissed

#9 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,378 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 07:45 PM

That's the one reason it makes sense, if DC really wants to pursue Constantine in other media. Making the comic book more readable might be a plus on getting people to care more about the character, rather than just putting out a comic every month for the sake of the character not being in limbo when the TV appearances come along....
-Oscar Wilde

#10 dogpoet

dogpoet

From Hell's heart I strike at thee...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,740 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 08:05 PM

Wouldn't they have cancelled the comic along with Welshblazer On'T Telly* if that was the only reason they were keeping it going?

*(Or whatever it's called)

#11 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,378 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 08:18 PM

Not if they expected the character to show up in other sources, like there was a plan for a "Justice League Dark" movie at one time (which may or may not still be on), and then he showed up in Arrow. So, they might think that there's still money in the character in TV/movie, even if his own series fell flat. I can't see why else they'd keep revamping the character for each of DC's relaunches, considering that the sales are abysmal.

I wonder if they'll immediately yank the Lucifer comic as soon as that god-awful TV show gets canned?
-Oscar Wilde

#12 dogpoet

dogpoet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,740 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 08:28 PM

Stranger things have happened, but if the TV show's pants, it'll probably have a long run.
(They're redesigning the covers for the collections of Carey's series even as we type: "not much like the tv show, but the same Lucifer-ish"...)

#13 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,378 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 08:42 PM

It'll be the Friends of the comic book media-verse.
-Oscar Wilde

#14 JasonT

JasonT

Stressing over cat urine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,110 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 10:50 PM

Someone at DC upper levels must like John Constantine, only, you know, not enough to make his book interesting.

:laugh:   :hattip:

#15 lady_constantine

lady_constantine

Hogwarts Graduate

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 02:26 PM

View PostJasonT, on 20 February 2016 - 10:50 PM, said:

Someone at DC upper levels must like John Constantine, only, you know, not enough to make his book interesting.

:laugh:   :hattip:
And I agree...
Wanna know what ol' Conjob gets up to nowadays? Read 'The Laughing Magician's Journal http://a-laughing-magicians-journal.blogspot.com/'.Also,check out his latest adventures at 'Elseworlds Legends http://elseworlds-legends.blogspot.com/ http://so-tru-review.blogspot.com/

#16 lady_constantine

lady_constantine

Hogwarts Graduate

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 02:29 PM

Tired of DC making John their bitch...I'm gonna write a letter,a really long one and hopes somebody gives a damn.

I done started a script for em',just wish I could get my paws at these people and slap some sense into somebody!
Wanna know what ol' Conjob gets up to nowadays? Read 'The Laughing Magician's Journal http://a-laughing-magicians-journal.blogspot.com/'.Also,check out his latest adventures at 'Elseworlds Legends http://elseworlds-legends.blogspot.com/ http://so-tru-review.blogspot.com/

#17 dogpoet

dogpoet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,740 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 02:45 PM

That's maybe not the best way to pitch a script to a comics company, but who knows?
:biggrin:

#18 GottaGetAGrip

GottaGetAGrip

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 04:49 PM

I suppose we could try mailing DC editorial en-masse to give us HB fans what we want but then again they'd probably interpret this as a sign to put Azzarello on the book or give us a Gemma series written by Milligan because

um... they worked on the old HB series, so yeah, fans would probably like this - DC editorial

#19 lady_constantine

lady_constantine

Hogwarts Graduate

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 04:19 AM

View Postdogpoet, on 25 February 2016 - 02:45 PM, said:

That's maybe not the best way to pitch a script to a comics company, but who knows?
:biggrin:

you're right,it won't ...

but really,if fans are the ones reading it,how about ASKING US what we wanna do with constantine instead of taking wild guesses and all that? no really,it makes sense.I would totally get together with some fellow fans and drop an issue one worth gold on their desk if I could.But no...

The problem is that people keep misinterpreting every aspect of the character and the world and this is what we get.I also believe that the sad truth that Constatine's character as a hole is an archtype from yester year and would need somebody who is an actual Hellblazer fan to break it down and get down to the core of what the character is.

I personally did NOT like this new Constantine or the one from JLD.The One from the Constantine show was closer,the one from the 2005 was excellent---but not our John,he was good in his own right cuz nick necro was ftw (actually no,just re-read jld and he was a whiny bitch but it didn't have to be that way.I do thing Keanu reeves is awesome though)

#20 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,378 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 03:44 AM

The thing is that Hellblazer was bleeding readers after Azzarello left the book. Vertigo kept it going until issue #300 with sales far below anything that DC Comics would allow to continue. When DC decided they wanted to relaunch the book, they didn't just want to keep the same fans as were reading Hellblazer, they wanted to create a lot of new fans of the character. To be brutally honest, they did, to an extent, succeed, considering that the sales on Constantine were numbers that Hellblazer could only wish for within the last decade of its existence. However, the sales were also pretty bad by comparison with other New 52 titles, so it's not like it was a total success. So, DC relaunched the book again with a new creative team and new direction and new take on the character. This version is failing even quicker than Constantine though. I'm not sure there actually is a market for the character anymore, not compared to the sales figures that DC is wanting from their monthly books. Except, DC has decided to save the character one more time, even though the sales are just not there.
At this point, I think it's a matter of DC experimenting with the character or the character just being canceled. I don't think DC has faith in the Hellblazer concept being marketable to fans outside of the cult following that the Vertigo series maintained through #300.
As much as I wish it was a case of DC mishandling the character and needing to listen to the fans, I don't believe there are enough diehard Hellblazer fans left to be worth it to DC economically to bother to listen to us. I'd rather DC just let the character go at this point. Each relaunch seems to be doing a greater disservice to the character from Moore and Delano.
-Oscar Wilde

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users