Jump to content


The Hellblazer Afterbirth


  • Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#41 Christian

Christian

    The Last One

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,413 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Brigadoon

Posted 15 March 2016 - 09:55 PM

Lou-Probably because John Constantine is supposed to be like a regular guy (at least on the surface, the working class mage stuff), while Swamp Thing is a "bog god". Also, while JC was created in the pages of Swamp Thing while it was a DCU title, Hellblazer seemed to be moving away from the DCU trappings and creating its own little universe for JC to inhabit (one based on our real world), while Swamp Thing was always thought of as just a part of the DCU, regardless of where the actual series went after Rick Veitch left the title.
Also, the fact that Swamp Thing's best years were prior to Veitch leaving the title, and no one really enjoyed the book very much after Veitch left, that might play a role too.
"I wish it were fin du globe," said Dorian with a sigh.
"Life is such a great disappointment."
-Oscar Wilde

#42 Speedblazer

Speedblazer

    Street Magician

  • Members
  • 295 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 16 March 2016 - 05:25 AM

For this rebirth, all I ask is that they don't fuck up Constantine anymore then they already have. But I'm probably talking out of my ass though. I want them to take John back to being a human being who just happens to have a vast knowledge of the occult, can get out of dangerous situations with cheep spells, and is all about his wits and smooth talking.

Also PUT HIM IN AN ACTUAL DAMN TRENCHCOAT THIS TIME! That small jacket of a coat was getting on my nerves. I liked the TV show's trench well enough, but the one in CTH was just annoying to see.

#43 A. Heathen

A. Heathen

    The wisdom of Dick (Solomon)

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,333 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London

Posted 23 March 2016 - 01:12 PM

Well it's solicited as #13 so it seems it is untouched by the born agains
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
"But that's the whole point, it's supernatural, these things happen.
It's not supposed to be realistic in that sense."

#44 Lou K

Lou K

    POWAH!!!

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,816 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Michigan

Posted 23 March 2016 - 02:17 PM

Just fucking kill him off and be done with it already.
In the age of the internet someone's sensibility is ALWAYS being tested.

~ James

Posted Image

#45 lady_constantine

lady_constantine

    Hogwarts Graduate

  • Members
  • 387 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:philadelphia ,PA

Posted 23 March 2016 - 06:47 PM

i think the issue there is that there are a handfull of JC lovers still loyal in DC's camp,but they are following under certain rules of certain people in charge and they are trying to make a quick buck.I think a few things are necessary--# darker and grittier--y'know how batman and suicide squad are not necesarilly general audience friendly? how about that bit.The problem here is the DC comics caters to people who grew up with comic book characters and there is a certain standard.

Hellblazer wasn't part of that standard,nor was sandman.

What is going on is also that there needs to be to boost it nup to the mnodern era.Our boy John was a character of the past and sad as i am to see him go,that's kinda it.He's not of this era.

The last saving throwwould be to have a contest by fans of the series and pick a story by the winner.

Say what you will and thou will be judged-- but the Constantine comic almost hit it on the nail,the existance of g

And Now it's unpopular opinion time (yay)

-As a person of this age,I'm gonna do a rundown of shit that would've worked if it had better writers

1)the existance of Georgiana Winters and the idea that the british government was actively looking into supernatural threats (watch anime Black Butler:example of how it worked)
2)Cult of the Cold flame-could have actually been a thing
3)Anybody remember the Trencoat Brigade ?(those folks could always have been an active pressence)
4)you guys are ginna hate the shit outta me--but I still stand that Nick Necro would've been an awesome character--but more so if he wasn't a villain,but just as John's mentor/boyfirend and maybe died saving him or some shit and didn't go out like a bitch
5)which would have inexplicably tied John to Zatanna--
6)which would've swung him into the dcu
7)and because Zatanna use to go with bruce wayne--there is a chance he could've met John (and Nick/) and this would've swung JC into the ,mainstream dcu--(smart move putting him in arrow,by the way)--
8)and because batman/gotham is dark in and in itself--it would've made since for an affilated series to be dark and gritty too
9)STOP TRYNNA CENSOR IT.some seriously messed up shit happend in Hellblazer--how about some of this seriously messed up shit happen in the next constantine mess

And unpopular opinion-conversly--a series with young John Nick and Zatanna going on the road and kicking ass (like supernatural and the winchester bros.)

in hellblazer,john ran around on fucked up adventures,banished some evil shit,did some morally disturbing shit .I mean,running around and destroying supernatural threats should be a pretty easy storyline to work--why are these people making it hard? Harry dresden did it and did well,anita blake up into a certain point...Gotdamnit! Scooby doo done did it?! why is this so damn hard for them?

Maybe,they really should just let it die.We fans remember hellblazer,but hellblazer is super obscure and most people don't even know about it.hell nick necro (okay,keanu ,but i just gotta make the joke) was more well known than hellblazer for the longest.and say what you will ,but the movie was great becaus ethey got the right magic-realism type atmosphere....it's the next best thing to hellblazer in my opinion.

It pains me that our boy john went out like a nut,but the fact is we are dealing with the wrong type of people who don't know how to write the genre.hellbalzer was horror...and actually paul dini's take on zatanna was horror...really think he may be able to pull off a constantine story ,provided zatanna was around--then again,maybe not
also this may seem minute to some peope but--

i think it could benefit from an actual non-heterosexual writer to acurately portray john..no really,but that is the least of our problems now

Okay,my rant is done
Wanna know what ol' Conjob gets up to nowadays? Read 'The Laughing Magician's Journal http://a-laughing-magicians-journal.blogspot.com/'.Also,check out his latest adventures at 'Elseworlds Legends http://elseworlds-legends.blogspot.com/ http://so-tru-review.blogspot.com/

#46 Christian

Christian

    The Last One

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,413 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Brigadoon

Posted 23 March 2016 - 09:53 PM

All the ads for DC:Rebirth list The Hellblazer #1 as starting in July. So, #13 is probably the unlucky last number of Constantine:The Hellblazer before the next relaunch.
"I wish it were fin du globe," said Dorian with a sigh.
"Life is such a great disappointment."
-Oscar Wilde

#47 Christian

Christian

    The Last One

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,413 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Brigadoon

Posted 23 March 2016 - 09:58 PM

Lady-Kieron Gillen is known for writing sympathetic and believable gay characters. He won GLAAD awards for his comic book work. I have no idea if he's non-heterosexual, but that doesn't really matter. He's also an extremely talented writer, who has done miracles with books that seemed like they would be unreadable (like Angela at Marvel). And, he's familiar with the occult. Gillen would be our dream writer for JC at this point...but, I highly doubt he's going to be working for DC anytime soon, and I highly doubt that DC even cares to both with writers like Gillen at this point, sadly.
What is the deal with that, does anyone know? Is DC operating on the cheap now? Or, is that the editors have gotten so heavy-handed that they scare any actually talented writers away? Because, I know Marvel snatches up any Image writer that seems like they'll impress, while DC is working with a core of writers who were either names in the 1990s or who aren't names as of yet.
"I wish it were fin du globe," said Dorian with a sigh.
"Life is such a great disappointment."
-Oscar Wilde

#48 lady_constantine

lady_constantine

    Hogwarts Graduate

  • Members
  • 387 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:philadelphia ,PA

Posted 24 March 2016 - 02:03 AM

Last i checked DC was only looking for artists and nonew writers.I think they need to change that
Wanna know what ol' Conjob gets up to nowadays? Read 'The Laughing Magician's Journal http://a-laughing-magicians-journal.blogspot.com/'.Also,check out his latest adventures at 'Elseworlds Legends http://elseworlds-legends.blogspot.com/ http://so-tru-review.blogspot.com/

#49 BobafrigginFeet

BobafrigginFeet

    Street Magician

  • Members
  • 233 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 24 March 2016 - 03:51 AM

I liked the incarnation of Constantine on the Injustice prequel comic. He's still Hellblazer even next to Superman, and I've always liked the idea of John in a cape story.

It's why I've always favored Moore's Constantine.

Quote

AN: If Constantine and Lucifer were in a drag down take out no-holds-barred fight, who wins?
MC: Lucifer wins, then as he's walking away he realizes his wallet's gone.

#50 lady_constantine

lady_constantine

    Hogwarts Graduate

  • Members
  • 387 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:philadelphia ,PA

Posted 24 March 2016 - 04:07 AM

View PostBobafrigginFeet, on 24 March 2016 - 03:51 AM, said:

I liked the incarnation of Constantine on the Injustice prequel comic. He's still Hellblazer even next to Superman, and I've always liked the idea of John in a cape story.

It's why I've always favored Moore's Constantine.
YESonly time it was right
Wanna know what ol' Conjob gets up to nowadays? Read 'The Laughing Magician's Journal http://a-laughing-magicians-journal.blogspot.com/'.Also,check out his latest adventures at 'Elseworlds Legends http://elseworlds-legends.blogspot.com/ http://so-tru-review.blogspot.com/

#51 dogpoet

dogpoet

    From Hell's heart I strike at thee...

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,791 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The bit of Scotland just over Cumbria.

Posted 24 March 2016 - 01:08 PM

View Postlady_constantine, on 24 March 2016 - 02:03 AM, said:

Last i checked DC was only looking for artists and none writers. I think they need to change that
As that was the situation back when I tried approaching them in 2002 (iirc, the guidelines for unsolicited applications were pulled shortly after I sent them a pitch), I wouldn't hold your breath waiting. They seem to prefer things that way...
:tongue:

#52 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

    absentee landlord

  • Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,277 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 24 March 2016 - 04:35 PM

View PostChristian, on 23 March 2016 - 09:58 PM, said:

Gillen would be our dream writer for JC at this point.

Really didn't like that first Phonogram series, he's not for me.  Apparently The Wicked & The Divine is doing great so he don't need that steenking corporate comic money.
featherweight champion, cheap to get pissed

#53 Christian

Christian

    The Last One

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,413 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Brigadoon

Posted 24 March 2016 - 06:41 PM

Yeah, he's probably saved up enough from his time as one of Marvel's big-name writers that he can do what he wants now. I couldn't get in to the Wicked and the Divine. The premise was pretty neat, but the execution turned me away. To be perfectly honest, I love Gillen's work at Marvel more than his creator-owned books. He had a genius for taking other people's ideas and making them better than they had any right to be, while with his own books, he seems to have good ideas but then doesn't taken them anywhere near as imaginative a direction as he should.

That's the one brilliant thing for comic creators who sign exclusive contracts with Marvel. They get big bucks. If they save their money, after the contract, they're pretty much made and can control the rest of their career doing what they want. It's smart.
"I wish it were fin du globe," said Dorian with a sigh.
"Life is such a great disappointment."
-Oscar Wilde

#54 GottaGetAGrip

GottaGetAGrip

    Taxi Driver

  • Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 05:53 PM

The Hellblazer creative team announced at WonderCon Livestream:

Simon Oliver and Moritat.

Storyline: John and Swamp Thing team-up to rescue Abby

Also interesting news is that somehow DC managed to coax Christopher Priest out of comics retirement to write Deathstroke.

#55 Demon Chas08

Demon Chas08

    Con Artist

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,144 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Greensboro,North Carolina

Posted 26 March 2016 - 06:55 PM

View PostSpeedblazer, on 16 March 2016 - 05:25 AM, said:

For this rebirth, all I ask is that they don't fuck up Constantine anymore then they already have. But I'm probably talking out of my ass though. I want them to take John back to being a human being who just happens to have a vast knowledge of the occult, can get out of dangerous situations with cheep spells, and is all about his wits and smooth talking.

Also PUT HIM IN AN ACTUAL DAMN TRENCHCOAT THIS TIME! That small jacket of a coat was getting on my nerves. I liked the TV show's trench well enough, but the one in CTH was just annoying to see.

That wasn't even a trench. It's just a small ass jacket that not even Rossmo's wind blowing shots can hide it despite trying to have the breeze move it like a trench coat....smh
"Ha ha! Cookies on dowels!"- Phil Ken Sebben circa 2001

For Doctor Who, Torchwood, Bernice Summerfield & Sarah Jane reviews go to: www.doctorwhoreviews.co.uk

For Doctor Who Chronology: http://drwhocontinut...e.blogspot.com/

#56 Demon Chas08

Demon Chas08

    Con Artist

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,144 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Greensboro,North Carolina

Posted 26 March 2016 - 06:56 PM

View PostGottaGetAGrip, on 26 March 2016 - 05:53 PM, said:

The Hellblazer creative team announced at WonderCon Livestream:

Simon Oliver and Moritat.

Storyline: John and Swamp Thing team-up to rescue Abby

Also interesting news is that somehow DC managed to coax Christopher Priest out of comics retirement to write Deathstroke.

I'm fine with Oliver and Moritat (especially since I loved his work on the Spirit under the First Wave banner)
"Ha ha! Cookies on dowels!"- Phil Ken Sebben circa 2001

For Doctor Who, Torchwood, Bernice Summerfield & Sarah Jane reviews go to: www.doctorwhoreviews.co.uk

For Doctor Who Chronology: http://drwhocontinut...e.blogspot.com/

#57 Demon Chas08

Demon Chas08

    Con Artist

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,144 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Greensboro,North Carolina

Posted 26 March 2016 - 07:18 PM

View Postlady_constantine, on 23 March 2016 - 06:47 PM, said:

i think the issue there is that there are a handfull of JC lovers still loyal in DC's camp,but they are following under certain rules of certain people in charge and they are trying to make a quick buck.I think a few things are necessary--# darker and grittier--y'know how batman and suicide squad are not necesarilly general audience friendly? how about that bit.The problem here is the DC comics caters to people who grew up with comic book characters and there is a certain standard.

Hellblazer wasn't part of that standard,nor was sandman.

What is going on is also that there needs to be to boost it nup to the mnodern era.Our boy John was a character of the past and sad as i am to see him go,that's kinda it.He's not of this era.

The last saving throwwould be to have a contest by fans of the series and pick a story by the winner.

Say what you will and thou will be judged-- but the Constantine comic almost hit it on the nail,the existance of g

And Now it's unpopular opinion time (yay)

-As a person of this age,I'm gonna do a rundown of shit that would've worked if it had better writers

1)the existance of Georgiana Winters and the idea that the british government was actively looking into supernatural threats (watch anime Black Butler:example of how it worked)
2)Cult of the Cold flame-could have actually been a thing
3)Anybody remember the Trencoat Brigade ?(those folks could always have been an active pressence)
4)you guys are ginna hate the shit outta me--but I still stand that Nick Necro would've been an awesome character--but more so if he wasn't a villain,but just as John's mentor/boyfirend and maybe died saving him or some shit and didn't go out like a bitch
5)which would have inexplicably tied John to Zatanna--
6)which would've swung him into the dcu
7)and because Zatanna use to go with bruce wayne--there is a chance he could've met John (and Nick/) and this would've swung JC into the ,mainstream dcu--(smart move putting him in arrow,by the way)--
8)and because batman/gotham is dark in and in itself--it would've made since for an affilated series to be dark and gritty too
9)STOP TRYNNA CENSOR IT.some seriously messed up shit happend in Hellblazer--how about some of this seriously messed up shit happen in the next constantine mess

And unpopular opinion-conversly--a series with young John Nick and Zatanna going on the road and kicking ass (like supernatural and the winchester bros.)

in hellblazer,john ran around on fucked up adventures,banished some evil shit,did some morally disturbing shit .I mean,running around and destroying supernatural threats should be a pretty easy storyline to work--why are these people making it hard? Harry dresden did it and did well,anita blake up into a certain point...Gotdamnit! Scooby doo done did it?! why is this so damn hard for them?

Maybe,they really should just let it die.We fans remember hellblazer,but hellblazer is super obscure and most people don't even know about it.hell nick necro (okay,keanu ,but i just gotta make the joke) was more well known than hellblazer for the longest.and say what you will ,but the movie was great becaus ethey got the right magic-realism type atmosphere....it's the next best thing to hellblazer in my opinion.

It pains me that our boy john went out like a nut,but the fact is we are dealing with the wrong type of people who don't know how to write the genre.hellbalzer was horror...and actually paul dini's take on zatanna was horror...really think he may be able to pull off a constantine story ,provided zatanna was around--then again,maybe not
also this may seem minute to some peope but--

i think it could benefit from an actual non-heterosexual writer to acurately portray john..no really,but that is the least of our problems now

Okay,my rant is done

Unless he/she doesn't make the same mistakes Doyle and Tynion IV have, it's gonna be a long while
"Ha ha! Cookies on dowels!"- Phil Ken Sebben circa 2001

For Doctor Who, Torchwood, Bernice Summerfield & Sarah Jane reviews go to: www.doctorwhoreviews.co.uk

For Doctor Who Chronology: http://drwhocontinut...e.blogspot.com/

#58 GottaGetAGrip

GottaGetAGrip

    Taxi Driver

  • Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 05:22 AM

Finally found an image of the reveal:
Posted Image
Looks like the good 'ol trenchcoat is back, and it also seems like John got rid of that awful haircut Tynion/Doyle/Rossmo gave him.

But eh, not too big on them calling the book "The Hellblazer" like John's some sorta kinda lame d-list event cannon fodder superhero and that's his moniker. Just call the book Hellblazer Vol 2.

#59 Demon Chas08

Demon Chas08

    Con Artist

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,144 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Greensboro,North Carolina

Posted 27 March 2016 - 05:46 AM

View PostGottaGetAGrip, on 27 March 2016 - 05:22 AM, said:

Finally found an image of the reveal:
Posted Image
Looks like the good 'ol trenchcoat is back, and it also seems like John got rid of that awful haircut Tynion/Doyle/Rossmo gave him.

But eh, not too big on them calling the book "The Hellblazer" like John's some sorta kinda lame d-list event cannon fodder superhero and that's his moniker. Just call the book Hellblazer Vol 2.

& give it back to the Vertigo imprint but sadly that's not gonna happen unless Dan DiDio leaves or dies.
"Ha ha! Cookies on dowels!"- Phil Ken Sebben circa 2001

For Doctor Who, Torchwood, Bernice Summerfield & Sarah Jane reviews go to: www.doctorwhoreviews.co.uk

For Doctor Who Chronology: http://drwhocontinut...e.blogspot.com/

#60 Speedblazer

Speedblazer

    Street Magician

  • Members
  • 295 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 27 March 2016 - 06:04 AM

View PostGottaGetAGrip, on 27 March 2016 - 05:22 AM, said:

Finally found an image of the reveal:
Posted Image
Looks like the good 'ol trenchcoat is back, and it also seems like John got rid of that awful haircut Tynion/Doyle/Rossmo gave him.

But eh, not too big on them calling the book "The Hellblazer" like John's some sorta kinda lame d-list event cannon fodder superhero and that's his moniker. Just call the book Hellblazer Vol 2.

Okay, I like the look of him going back to the rugged, trench coat wearing, shifty dude so yay to that. Looks like wolverine though with that hairstyle. As to how the actual story will turn out is another story.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users