26 replies to this topic

#1 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,413 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 04:19 AM

Well, it's the end. Not much more to say. A complete failure of a comic book.
The last page was a decent ending moment for a JC comic book. "You always will be."
Otherwise, a complete waste.
I have zero idea what John did to defeat Nergal-stand-in-DC-demon-guy.
I completely forgot the plot. I have no idea why any of it mattered.
The JLD crew were brought back last issue in order to stand around for one page in this issue, and then dissapear.
The ending of Oliver's story was so lame and wrong. I guess it's the old "bad things happen to those around John" trope (how original), but his fate was too gruesome. It wasn't deserved. There was some irony that it was all unnecessary. The fact that the horrible end was just glossed over after didn't help.
The art continued to look horrible.
This book deserved the axe.

Hopefully Simon Oliver will create something better. He's coming off one of the strongest Vertigo books I've read in ages (Last Gang in Town), so there is hope.
"I wish it were fin du globe," said Dorian with a sigh.
"Life is such a great disappointment."
-Oscar Wilde

#2 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,277 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 07:35 AM

Good news everyone, I get to read the whole thing this weekend :boogie:
featherweight champion, cheap to get pissed

#3 A. Heathen

A. Heathen

The wisdom of Dick (Solomon)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,333 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 08:03 AM

Why, are you going to be in a coma?
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
"But that's the whole point, it's supernatural, these things happen.
It's not supposed to be realistic in that sense."

#4 metanoia

metanoia

Nick Necro

• Members
  • 534 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 10:16 AM

I think you're being overly harsh.  It certainly wasn't Hellblazer of old,  but it wasn't all bad.  It was a damn site better than the Nu 52 Constantine.  Saying that I'm not sad it's over in the least and looking forward to the new one.

#5 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,413 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 06:09 PM

I ended up actually liking the New 52 version better in the end. The New 52 version started out horrible, with the Cold Flame stupidity...but, it eventually improved. This version started out with a really strong first issue, but was unable to keep that momentum, and whenever there was an issue I enjoyed, the next issue would quickly ruining any redeeming bits. I wanted to like this version, especially better than the New 52 version, which I was also not a fan, but it didn't succeed in even that task, for mine.
I felt that the New 52 version of Constantine was a generic attempt at doing a Hellblazer comic book.
I didn't feel like this version was about John Constantine, but a far less interesting JC lookalike.
-Oscar Wilde

#6 Demon Chas08

Demon Chas08

Con Artist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 03:10 AM

He's not alone. Even I find myself realizing New52!John (Nick Necro and all save for the SyFy left overs that are the Cold Flame) wasn't all bad.

Those who demanded the emphasis on sexuality got what they wanted far as representation of the bi aspect but didn't bother caring about whether a good story matteted or not. You can't harp on one and ignore the other thinking this will keep a book going; in the case of Constantine the Hellblazer, those who were happy about the emphasis didn't even bother sticking around for their rewards. That hee should tell who the real fans are and who the fakes are. Doyle and Tynion kept pandering to the fakes to where the book became a rotten chore after Milligan whether Rossmo or Foreman w/the only decent artwork* that tried to work being Del Ray's even as a two issue guest spot.

That said, Bring on July so Oliver and Moritat can give our John back his coat and his balls.

*SN: Anyone surprised to see Manco back in his groove with the Wacky Races: Fury Road comic compared to 2008?
"Ha ha! Cookies on dowels!"- Phil Ken Sebben circa 2001

For Doctor Who, Torchwood, Bernice Summerfield & Sarah Jane reviews go to: www.doctorwhoreviews.co.uk

For Doctor Who Chronology: http://drwhocontinut...e.blogspot.com/

#7 A. Heathen

A. Heathen

The wisdom of Dick (Solomon)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,333 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 06:10 AM

View PostDemon Chas08, on 10 June 2016 - 03:10 AM, said:

Those who demanded the emphasis on sexuality got what they wanted far as representation of the bi aspect but didn't bother caring about whether a good story mattered or not.

It's like the people writing the bisexual British boot wearer have ignored the one thing that makes him unique.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
"But that's the whole point, it's supernatural, these things happen.
It's not supposed to be realistic in that sense."

#8 Demon Chas08

Demon Chas08

Con Artist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 10:44 AM

View PostA. Heathen, on 11 June 2016 - 06:10 AM, said:

View PostDemon Chas08, on 10 June 2016 - 03:10 AM, said:

Those who demanded the emphasis on sexuality got what they wanted far as representation of the bi aspect but didn't bother caring about whether a good story mattered or not.

It's like the people writing the bisexual British boot wearer have ignored the one thing that makes him unique.

Yup and they didn't care anymore than Azzarello circa 2000-2002 or Milligan who disappeared up his own ass.

Even Oliver's demise left with me not giving 0 fucks since not only was he just there but his "deal" with Blythe (who's also just there) makes 0 sense.

For Doctor Who, Torchwood, Bernice Summerfield & Sarah Jane reviews go to: www.doctorwhoreviews.co.uk

#9 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,413 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 02:07 PM

Oliver's demise felt very forced. We've seen the "John gets his friends killed" thing so many times during HB's run. It would have been better had John been left alone, but because Oliver decided he wanted nothing to do with John. Not this overly melodramatic and unneeded horrible death scene....which, yeah, made zero sense.
-Oscar Wilde

#10 dogpoet

dogpoet

From Hell's heart I strike at thee...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,791 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 02:48 PM

Blythe? Out of Hawkworld?

#11 lady_constantine

lady_constantine

Hogwarts Graduate

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 10:28 PM

okay,unpopular opinion time:

Nu52 constantine was better.yeah,I said it.I've read both through and nothing you can do can make me change my mind.

come at me bruh
Wanna know what ol' Conjob gets up to nowadays? Read 'The Laughing Magician's Journal http://a-laughing-magicians-journal.blogspot.com/'.Also,check out his latest adventures at 'Elseworlds Legends http://elseworlds-legends.blogspot.com/ http://so-tru-review.blogspot.com/

#12 dogpoet

dogpoet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,791 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 11:37 AM

Why's that an unpopular opinion? Sounds like Christian and Chas both agree, at least.

#13 Demon Chas08

Demon Chas08

Con Artist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 01:56 PM

View Postdogpoet, on 12 June 2016 - 11:37 AM, said:

Why's that an unpopular opinion? Sounds like Christian and Chas both agree, at least.

And I've been looking at the last few issues of that title and the Future's End tie-in via viewcomic.com to get some satisfaction there than from 13 issues of meandering cat piss. Even Injustice Year Three was more John than both

#14 GottaGetAGrip

GottaGetAGrip

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 03:54 PM

That's when you can tell your takes on John aren't up to snuff, when the John from the freaking video game tie-in comes across as truer to character than either.

#15 dogpoet

dogpoet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,791 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 06:01 PM

Doesn't he have a walk on in one of the Batman Arkam [Whatever] games as well?

#16 Demon Chas08

Demon Chas08

Con Artist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 10:53 PM

View Postdogpoet, on 12 June 2016 - 06:01 PM, said:

Doesn't he have a walk on in one of the Batman Arkam [Whatever] games as well?

T
Only a office with a sign outside

#17 lady_constantine

lady_constantine

Hogwarts Graduate

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 10:17 PM

nu52 was generally a fuck up.period.there are those who slandered the Constantine comic of nu52,but i think the only thing it really lacked was 1)the lack of personal in depth look at John constantine ,it was all too vague.though i do like the idea of the cult of the cold flame setting john up for failure---even in his originial hellblazer incarnation,john fucked up with Astra...becasue he was trying to do the right thing ,the wrong way.i think a lot of writers are seem to lose that bit.john wants to do the right thing ---usuallly,but he keeps fucking it up,like failure is the only option.the only time i can say that john was out right mailicious wa sduring the azarello run --i mean yes,he did screw over his best friendgaz--but that was to save new york city.he DID stop the second coming by tainting zed---but bringing thesecond coming may have offset armaggeddon...which i don't think would've been good for anyone. he also started a bar fight with the first of the fallen (badass)so his friend could go to heaven earning himself a life of torment...if that ain't a sacrifice,i don't know WHAT is. I mean sure,he's cheated people out of money ,but what is that compared to saving the world a few time and averting serious fuck ups? and even when he does do some dastardly shit,he does have a sense to feel bad about it.that nu52 constantine lacked that preptual guilt of the hellblazer version--this guy was just...a bit too heartless.i mean constantine WASan asshole but an asshole and heartless are not the same thing.

what nu52 got right was john's amazing and uncanny ability to outwit people above his level quite easily-fighting smart ,not hard--which is what made nick necro a poorly delivered villain.it wasn;t the match of wits it should've been--nick was eaither beastmoding everybody or trying to get back with his exes---if it was like an L vs Light Yagami [deathnote] typ thing then YES,that would've been gold.Or conversly,Nick could've been fuck psycho from being sent to hell and could've been joker-level creepy,or like some of the worse versions of klarion bleak--

As for constantine:the hellblazer?? i doubt john  would just screw some evil demon bitch for shits and giggles---do we remember how elle the sucubus from hellblazer had to help john out?yup,with John Constantine,you gotta pay for the D--then oliver...would've been better if he also turned out to be involved in the supernatural and even though john has had bystanders fucked over--after Astra ,he generally hadn't had too many kids in the freezer on his behalf.also...can i talk about how Neron and papa midknight were both disrespected? okay...really i am trying to find a decent point but its getting pretty hard to ,so i'm gonna drop it.

basically,i knew the reboot was destined to fail as they failed to grasp john

I think that writers miss the biggest point of constantine: sometimes to do the right thing,you gotta get your hands dirty...and sometimes get em' bloody.
Wanna know what ol' Conjob gets up to nowadays? Read 'The Laughing Magician's Journal http://a-laughing-magicians-journal.blogspot.com/'.Also,check out his latest adventures at 'Elseworlds Legends http://elseworlds-legends.blogspot.com/ http://so-tru-review.blogspot.com/

#18 Demon Chas08

Demon Chas08

Con Artist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 04:23 AM

View Postlady_constantine, on 15 June 2016 - 10:17 PM, said:

nu52 was generally a fuck up.period.there are those who slandered the Constantine comic of nu52,but i think the only thing it really lacked was 1)the lack of personal in depth look at John constantine ,it was all too vague.though i do like the idea of the cult of the cold flame setting john up for failure---even in his originial hellblazer incarnation,john fucked up with Astra...becasue he was trying to do the right thing ,the wrong way.i think a lot of writers are seem to lose that bit.john wants to do the right thing ---usuallly,but he keeps fucking it up,like failure is the only option.the only time i can say that john was out right mailicious wa sduring the azarello run --i mean yes,he did screw over his best friendgaz--but that was to save new york city.he DID stop the second coming by tainting zed---but bringing thesecond coming may have offset armaggeddon...which i don't think would've been good for anyone. he also started a bar fight with the first of the fallen (badass)so his friend could go to heaven earning himself a life of torment...if that ain't a sacrifice,i don't know WHAT is. I mean sure,he's cheated people out of money ,but what is that compared to saving the world a few time and averting serious fuck ups? and even when he does do some dastardly shit,he does have a sense to feel bad about it.that nu52 constantine lacked that preptual guilt of the hellblazer version--this guy was just...a bit too heartless.i mean constantine WASan asshole but an asshole and heartless are not the same thing.

what nu52 got right was john's amazing and uncanny ability to outwit people above his level quite easily-fighting smart ,not hard--which is what made nick necro a poorly delivered villain.it wasn;t the match of wits it should've been--nick was eaither beastmoding everybody or trying to get back with his exes---if it was like an L vs Light Yagami [deathnote] typ thing then YES,that would've been gold.Or conversly,Nick could've been fuck psycho from being sent to hell and could've been joker-level creepy,or like some of the worse versions of klarion bleak--

As for constantine:the hellblazer?? i doubt john  would just screw some evil demon bitch for shits and giggles---do we remember how elle the sucubus from hellblazer had to help john out?yup,with John Constantine,you gotta pay for the D--then oliver...would've been better if he also turned out to be involved in the supernatural and even though john has had bystanders fucked over--after Astra ,he generally hadn't had too many kids in the freezer on his behalf.also...can i talk about how Neron and papa midknight were both disrespected? okay...really i am trying to find a decent point but its getting pretty hard to ,so i'm gonna drop it.

basically,i knew the reboot was destined to fail as they failed to grasp john

I think that writers miss the biggest point of constantine: sometimes to do the right thing,you gotta get your hands dirty...and sometimes get em' bloody.

Hardly slander when the charges are no more truer then and now for the latest axed comic

#19 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,413 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 04:33 AM

I didn't mind the Oliver plot, up to a point. I think it could have worked, had it been based more in John's selfishness. Instead, it seemed more to be saying that John is cursed to hurt any innocent by-standers who are around him. That's not really that interesting, as it takes any direct involvement or culpability away from John. You can't blame the poor guy for wanting to get fucked, even if bad things happen to people around him. If he expected to avoid all human contact, because of what could happen? Not a very interesting direction for a character.
Then, the ending was just horrible. Once again, someone who's involved with John gets horribly hurt. It would have been better if Oliver had figured out that John was an asshole, and wanting nothing to do with him. Shake things up a bit. Don't even get started on the unnecessary melodramatic death scene either....
The real problem, though, come down to just that very basic lack of characterization given to John. There was never any real point or direction given to his character. He's a walking curse, I guess? Why? Why does that make him interesting? He wants to have sex with some guy he met. Does that make a character interesting? Nope.
It was just too many wrong directions. In the end, yeah, I feel like I was reading some other companies John Constantine stand-in. A character based on JC, but far less interesting, because they couldn't just copy what DC did with the character. But, if DC owns said character, why not just try to use that character in new and different stories? Why change that character so drastically?

New 52 Constantine wasn't changed anywhere near as drastically as this version, at least as the series progressed. It was just a generic take on that character. It wasn't great, but at least it was a Constantine story.
-Oscar Wilde

#20 Ixnay by Night

Ixnay by Night

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 08:32 PM

So, last week Comixology had the entirety of Constantine: the Hellblazer on sale for .99 an issue.  Curiosity got the better of me and I bought and read the whole run in the span of about two days.  That sale took advantage of me.  I had dropped the series after issue # 3, and ye gods did it get dreadful as it went on.  

I'll take Peter Milligan or even Ray Fawkes over that run, thank you very much.  Like someone else on the forum said, there were so many words yet the book ultimately said nothing.  I also found it really grating how the writers had John romanticizing New York City like it was the greatest place on Earth, which is fine if you're from NYC, nothing against the city.  I just don't think John would be writing 5th grade poetry about it when he's only there because he's exiled from his real home country.  

I don't think there's a single run of Hellblazer OR Constantine that I disliked more than C:tH.  Awful on just about every level.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users