26 replies to this topic

#21 dogpoet

dogpoet

From Hell's heart I strike at thee...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,653 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 09:42 PM

That said, doesn't it tend to be people who've moved to New York from the sticks rather than locals who come out with that rhapsodic noise about it being the greatest city on Earth?

#22 Ixnay by Night

Ixnay by Night

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 03:12 PM

View Postdogpoet, on 01 August 2016 - 09:42 PM, said:

That said, doesn't it tend to be people who've moved to New York from the sticks rather than locals who come out with that rhapsodic noise about it being the greatest city on Earth?

I don't know, I've never been to New York.  Is that a thing?  

Even so, I don't think it suited John at all, who always had a very nebulous view on NYC and America as a whole.  Even Fawkes had him treat the city as a temporary bolthole, if I remember correctly.

#23 dogpoet

dogpoet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,653 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 06:31 PM

Not been there myself, but it seems to be a thing from some of the records I've listened to and books I've read.

#24 Demon Chas08

Demon Chas08

Con Artist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 11:10 PM

View PostIxnay by Night, on 01 August 2016 - 08:32 PM, said:

So, last week Comixology had the entirety of Constantine: the Hellblazer on sale for .99 an issue.  Curiosity got the better of me and I bought and read the whole run in the span of about two days.  That sale took advantage of me.  I had dropped the series after issue # 3, and ye gods did it get dreadful as it went on.  

I'll take Peter Milligan or even Ray Fawkes over that run, thank you very much.  Like someone else on the forum said, there were so many words yet the book ultimately said nothing.  I also found it really grating how the writers had John romanticizing New York City like it was the greatest place on Earth, which is fine if you're from NYC, nothing against the city.  I just don't think John would be writing 5th grade poetry about it when he's only there because he's exiled from his real home country.  

I don't think there's a single run of Hellblazer OR Constantine that I disliked more than C:tH.  Awful on just about every level.

Careful with the former. They might get hom back again
"Ha ha! Cookies on dowels!"- Phil Ken Sebben circa 2001

For Doctor Who, Torchwood, Bernice Summerfield & Sarah Jane reviews go to: www.doctorwhoreviews.co.uk

For Doctor Who Chronology: http://drwhocontinut...e.blogspot.com/

#25 dogpoet

dogpoet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,653 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:30 PM

According to the last Previews, Tynion is the writer on the relaunch of Batwoman. Maybe the suggestion that TintinCon was just CV fodder to help him and Doyle get a more desirable gig (I forget who it was suggested that) was on the level?

#26 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,310 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 06:34 PM

According to the internet, he's co-writing the book with Marguerite Bennett, who is a pretty big name in comics at the moment. I'm not sure why Tynion is even involved, it's not as if he'll add anything positive to Bennett's writing.
"I wish it were fin du globe," said Dorian with a sigh.
"Life is such a great disappointment."
-Oscar Wilde

#27 dogpoet

dogpoet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,653 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:02 PM

Supposedly he did quite a bit of Batman-ish stuff before he wound up writing Less Constantine with Ming Doyle.
(Also, you should have a look at his wiki: that has stuff that suggests reasons for his involvement in writing comics that would sound horribly mean spirited if a failed comics comics writer like myself came out and said it...)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users