• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 08:04 AM

View PostBran the Blessed, on 04 August 2016 - 08:48 PM, said:

View Postseventhcircle, on 03 August 2016 - 06:51 AM, said:

fuck that i just want a book starring jjj, call it:

RELENTLESS - A true Journalist at War!

Starring John Jonah Jameson Jr. on the just cause of stopping the greatest menace to society: Super-Beings.

I've always found the idea of reading things like TV shows in novelised form to be a bit of a stretch as so much is based around the performance of the individual actors. And Comics kinda feel weird in this sense to me too. Though some writers love to fill their paragraphs with meaningless pseudo artsy drivel like Frank Miller waxing poetic about the reek of a godamn sewer.
i'm sorry for the misunderstanding: i meant a COMIC-book.

View PostIxnay by Night, on 04 August 2016 - 07:46 PM, said:

The series Bendis did as a follow-up to Alias, only with less anal sex.
do you think they pitched it like that?

View Postslinker, on 05 August 2016 - 05:00 AM, said:

i don't mean to insult any of the early artists Delano worked with, and it was the 80s, but I wonder how different his run would have been with one of the artists who drew hellblazer for a significant time. i know Simpson had a decent run drawing for Delano but i felt his style was too old school for such an in your face comic.

i loved the early stuff, especially because it was oldschool. it gave some of the stuff a feeling like it was a weird and bad trip on shrooms.

Of cause you keep going on. We.. we all keep going on. If we stop laughing, than they have won.
[Alfonse. french-german Comedian, 17.11.15]

#102 dogpoet

dogpoet

Fappy, the anti-masturbation dolphin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,600 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 11:47 AM

Delano did have a lot of John Ridgway, and a good half dozen issues by Richard Piers Rayner. Doesn't that count?

#103 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,265 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 06:05 PM

I loved the art during Delano's run too. It fit very well with Delano's writing on the book, and it had a very dark look to it. It fit with everything the book was trying to do. I feel that, in a lot of ways, having a flashier or more popular commercial artist during the Delano days would have taken away from Delano's work.
There are always going to be readers who aren't as fond of Delano's run on the book, or feel it is very dated, because of the topicality of Delano's work, how political it was, and the fact that it was heavily reliant on narrative and dialogue over the straightforward nature of Ennis' work.
"I wish it were fin du globe," said Dorian with a sigh.
"Life is such a great disappointment."
-Oscar Wilde

#104 Ixnay by Night

Ixnay by Night

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 06:50 PM

I think Delano falls middle-of-the-road for me.  I'm currently re-reading "The Fear Machine", which I hated the first time through.  It's an arc that reveals something new every time I read it, and now I quite enjoy it.  "The Family Man" is the run's high-point, though, for me at least.  Still, given a choice, I'd pick Jenkins over Delano every time.

#105 slinker

slinker

Dr. Orpheus!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,444 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 02:30 PM

View Postdogpoet, on 05 August 2016 - 11:47 AM, said:

Delano did have a lot of John Ridgway, and a good half dozen issues by Richard Piers Rayner. Doesn't that count?

actually yes. i mean a consistent artist. that's a better way to say it. he had so many different ones.
When you are a step ahead of everybody else, they call you a genius. When you are two steps ahead, they say you're crazy.

"If you can't say 'Fuck,' you can't say, 'Fuck the government.'" - Lenny Bruce

#106 dogpoet

dogpoet

Fappy, the anti-masturbation dolphin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,600 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 06:45 PM

And most of them were great. I'd much rather have Sean Phillips, Dave McKean, Alfredo Alacala, Steve Pugh and Dean Motter (maybe not Ron Tiner though: he really didn't suit this comic) doing an odd issue here and there than the whole run being drawn by by somebody crap but good at deadlines after Ridgway and Rayner had buggered off.

#107 GottaGetAGrip

GottaGetAGrip

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 10:13 PM

Posted Image
So the sales data was released, and I have to say 70K+ copies sold is probably the best John's sold in a while... but I doubt that it'll last once the Rebirth boom runs its course.

#108 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,265 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 12:28 AM

Yeah, all the #1 issues of Rebirth are selling out very quickly.
New 52 Constantine #1 was considered a success, but the sales dropped badly by #6. New 52 was seeing sales above the DC Rebirth relaunches also.

Aquaman Rebirth #1 sold out within hours at my local comic store. Issues #2 and after? Ehhh, not so much.

Books like Batman have still been selling nicely though.
So, I'd expect to see a huge drop in Hellblazer with #2, as Hellblazer Rebirth wasn't even selling as well as Aquaman at my local comic store.
"I wish it were fin du globe," said Dorian with a sigh.
"Life is such a great disappointment."
-Oscar Wilde

#109 Ixnay by Night

Ixnay by Night

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 02:57 PM

Yeah, those numbers may be great for a Hellblazer/Constantine series, but look at the distance between it and the sales for any of the other Rebirth one-shots.  I'm honestly shocked that Hellblazer even got a Rebirth one-shot to launch, considering books like Superwoman and Batgirl went straight to issue # 1 instead.  It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see Hellblazer be the lowest selling of the Rebirth one-shots once the initiative comes to a close (there's still another month of one-shot launches, right?).

#110 Mattowarrior

Mattowarrior

Constanteen PG15

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 06:56 PM

I bought it and regretted it. I thought putting superheroes in a Hellblazer title was uncalled for, plus it was a total rehash otherwise. It was KIND OF cool he looked like Matt Ryan. I think Alan Moore should buy the rights off DC and ship it to Image or another Indie even. Of course that's a ridiculously improbable proposition lol.

#111 seventhcircle

seventhcircle

living circlejerk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 08:25 PM

"The first angel sounded his trumpet,
and there came hail and fire mixed with blood,
and it was hurled down on the earth.
A third of the earth was burned up,
a third of the trees were burned up,
and alan moore gave his money to dc comics."
[Revelation 8:7]

yop i knew it, thats a sign of the apocalypse.

Of cause you keep going on. We.. we all keep going on. If we stop laughing, than they have won.
[Alfonse. french-german Comedian, 17.11.15]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users