110 replies to this topic

#21 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,413 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 04:28 PM

Wouldn't that partially actually be an accurate description of Jamie Delano's John though? "A loner of a character who whines about life in a melodramatic way and smokes a lot." I was always fine with John that way.
"I wish it were fin du globe," said Dorian with a sigh.
"Life is such a great disappointment."
-Oscar Wilde

#22 Speedblazer

Speedblazer

Street Magician

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 05:24 PM

View PostChristian, on 23 July 2016 - 04:28 PM, said:

Wouldn't that partially actually be an accurate description of Jamie Delano's John though? "A loner of a character who whines about life in a melodramatic way and smokes a lot." I was always fine with John that way.
I said it was my initial thoughts since I didn't read a single Hellblazer issue beforehand.

#23 seventhcircle

seventhcircle

living circlejerk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 11:26 AM

View PostChristian, on 23 July 2016 - 04:28 PM, said:

you were missing how he hated the establishment to the guts and amongst them he had this special place of pure despise for that thatcher of yours. also: he new... stuff

Of cause you keep going on. We.. we all keep going on. If we stop laughing, than they have won.
[Alfonse. french-german Comedian, 17.11.15]

#24 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,413 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 04:58 PM

Oh yeah, there was a lot more to the character, to be sure. I was just saying that was an aspect of the character from the beginning of Hellblazer.
It would be funny if they decided to return to the days of John hating Thatcher though. I don't mean flashing back when Thatcher was in power, but just that he constantly rants and rants about how bad Thatcher was, and people keep saying, "Thatcher is dead now! There are a lot of other slimy politicians to hate!", but John just keeps ranting away about Thatcher. That could be fun for nostalgia.
-Oscar Wilde

#25 Lou K

Lou K

POWAH!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,816 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 05:51 PM

I ain't gonna work on Maggie's farm no more...
In the age of the internet someone's sensibility is ALWAYS being tested.

~ James

Posted Image

#26 Demon Chas08

Demon Chas08

Con Artist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 11:28 PM

View PostChristian, on 26 July 2016 - 04:58 PM, said:

Oh yeah, there was a lot more to the character, to be sure. I was just saying that was an aspect of the character from the beginning of Hellblazer.
It would be funny if they decided to return to the days of John hating Thatcher though. I don't mean flashing back when Thatcher was in power, but just that he constantly rants and rants about how bad Thatcher was, and people keep saying, "Thatcher is dead now! There are a lot of other slimy politicians to hate!", but John just keeps ranting away about Thatcher. That could be fun for nostalgia.

Just like how my mother goes on her Obama rants with the occasional once a fortnight shots at Reaganomics and the damages it wrought
"Ha ha! Cookies on dowels!"- Phil Ken Sebben circa 2001

For Doctor Who, Torchwood, Bernice Summerfield & Sarah Jane reviews go to: www.doctorwhoreviews.co.uk

For Doctor Who Chronology: http://drwhocontinut...e.blogspot.com/

#27 dvyoung444

dvyoung444

Constanteen PG15

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 03:55 PM

The problem with these 'rebirths' is that John aged in real time during the original run.  The current writers are cherry-picking his history but even they have to realize there's no way a 30-something year old man was in a punk band in the late 70's. My feelings thus far is that these creative vasectomies has severely undercut his gravitas and made him a much less interesting character.  This was why Milligan pissed me off so much - he wiped his ass with John's past rather than treating it like the well-earned weight he'd been carrying all those years.    

But I want him back, dammit!  So how to do it?  Well, maybe Hell needs him alive and operating and restores him to his middle-aged self while the rest of the Hellblazer universe has aged around him.  It's ridiculous but as long as the writer stuck true to the characters (Old Chas reacting to a young John) (MILF Kit?) it could be interesting.  And maybe enough to drive John batshit crazy again!  Of course, that would involve taking the character into directions DC would poo-poo before it could ever see the light of day.

Regardless, I don't know how any of these rebirths are going to amount to anything more than elevator music without giving him the weight of his years (a.k.a. his balls) back.

Ok, open fire.

#28 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,413 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 04:48 PM

It won't ever happen. I've just let it go, like I said.
This will probably go on for another 12 issues, then DC will decide to do another relaunch. I have doubts that John will even be back another time. I can't see him going in to a vol. 5 at this point...but who knows what DC is thinking anymore? I didn't expect Hellblazer to survive in to "Rebirth" either, and was wrong.
I can't blame them for the constant relaunches though, considering that the New 52 was the most profitable idea at a comic company since the boom days of the early-1990s, and now "Rebirth" is selling the highest amount of pretty much any comic books since the New 52 relaunch. So, DC found a way to make quite a bit of quick cash. They're doing long-term harm to all of their characters, I believe, and this collector's frenzy over DC relaunching all their books from issue #1 over and over will eventually wear off. Convergence sold horribly compared to New 52 and "Rebirth", I guess because DC promoted it as a "soft" reboot, instead of a full line-wide relaunch.
-Oscar Wilde

#29 Lou K

Lou K

POWAH!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,816 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 05:29 PM

View Postdvyoung444, on 27 July 2016 - 03:55 PM, said:

It's ridiculous but as long as the writer stuck true to the characters (Old Chas reacting to a young John) (MILF Kit?) it could be interesting.

That's kinda cool! But John is dead.

*pours 40 on the curb*
In the age of the internet someone's sensibility is ALWAYS being tested.

~ James

Posted Image

#30 dvyoung444

dvyoung444

Constanteen PG15

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 06:07 PM

And another thing...

In the wake of all these rebirths, I'm seeing that last panel of the final issue in a whole new light.

"Hey guys!  What are you going to do with me now?"

#31 seventhcircle

seventhcircle

living circlejerk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 07:50 PM

its as if he was asking for it...

Of cause you keep going on. We.. we all keep going on. If we stop laughing, than they have won.

#32 BobafrigginFeet

BobafrigginFeet

Street Magician

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 08:48 PM

I'd still read the series honestly because why not

AN: If Constantine and Lucifer were in a drag down take out no-holds-barred fight, who wins?
MC: Lucifer wins, then as he's walking away he realizes his wallet's gone.

#33 lady_constantine

lady_constantine

Hogwarts Graduate

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 11:46 PM

The problem with these 'rebirths' is that John aged in real time during the original run.  The current writers are cherry-picking his history but even they have to realize there's no way a 30-something year old man was in a punk band in the late 70's. My feelings thus far is that these creative vasectomies has severely undercut his gravitas and made him a much less interesting character.  This was why Milligan pissed me off so much - he wiped his ass with John's past rather than treating it like the well-earned weight he'd been carrying all those years.

But I want him back, dammit!  So how to do it?  Well, maybe Hell needs him alive and operating and restores him to his middle-aged self while the rest of the Hellblazer universe has aged around him.  It's ridiculous but as long as the writer stuck true to the characters (Old Chas reacting to a young John) (MILF Kit?) it could be interesting.  And maybe enough to drive John batshit crazy again!  Of course, that would involve taking the character into directions DC would poo-poo before it could ever see the light of day.

Regardless, I don't know how any of these rebirths are going to amount to anything more than elevator music without giving him the weight of his years (a.k.a. his balls) back.

Ok, open fire.

There are things that can be done to flesh him out--could've been queer goth kid that use to fuck around with creepy shit and his father could've easily thrown him to the streets as a teenager,in which case he fell in with some occultists[i was gothing around when i fell in with some occultists --i wanted to heal my dad of sickness--john could have the story of wanting to speak to his dead mother and wham,here we go--i mean,c'mon,we've seen baby Johnny in tight pants and eyeliner with spike wristbands--plus he likes dark shit ..Goth!John Constantine is NOT a stretch,considering the time period.

I say at 30yrs old now,--10-15 yrs ago is year 2000 and while the goth scene aint what it use to be,even now,you'll find a few goths roaming around so Goth!John anpunk influence could be from a relative with a band called mucous membrane [aunt would be awesome]

the whole thing with Ravenscar could've still happened too. ..but enoughwith my fantasy ramblings--

but the problem is,that these people writing are missing the pointand are just shelling an asshole occultist who fucks people over---i mean john IS an asshole occultist who fucks people over--but it usually isn't his fault [not 100%...ranging from 25%-75% yeah it is] and people put him through alot of weird shit

the john i know would fuck up and then chain smoke or go get drunk and curl up on the floor after-or maybe even try to kill himself . the self loathing regret isn't present as and a large part.also,he comes off as more an asshole than a smartass nowadays--[love the snark,it's part of it]

i have made peace with hellblazer!john being dead and gone--RIP.

the question is can they rebuild him?

i personally think the whole thing with john being tricked into casting that spell andthe magic system in nu52.it had it's stong points,ok?

in all honesty,ithink they are more interested in the shady  occult detective thing than John constantine--they like the idea of john but fuck all of john himself

--

by the way,i once read a fanfic when john "allegedly" died ,but came back really young and told people he was conjob's son.word got around and chas had to come get his ass immediately for obvious reasons
Wanna know what ol' Conjob gets up to nowadays? Read 'The Laughing Magician's Journal http://a-laughing-magicians-journal.blogspot.com/'.Also,check out his latest adventures at 'Elseworlds Legends http://elseworlds-legends.blogspot.com/ http://so-tru-review.blogspot.com/

#34 Demon Chas08

Demon Chas08

Con Artist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 11:43 AM

Ok, open fire.

Unless WB shareholders wise up and demand a clean house on every sector and for someone to reverse the damages Alan Horn created with the revised Vertigo contracts, Vertigo and the John we known for so long has gone to the DiDio dungeon.

Injustice, the show, and now thus iteration is as close as we're going to get

For Doctor Who, Torchwood, Bernice Summerfield & Sarah Jane reviews go to: www.doctorwhoreviews.co.uk

#35 seventhcircle

seventhcircle

living circlejerk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 11:55 AM

View PostDemon Chas08, on 28 July 2016 - 11:43 AM, said:

the DiDio gas chamber.
holy shit man, maybe tone it down a tad.

#36 Demon Chas08

Demon Chas08

Con Artist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 12:32 PM

View Postseventhcircle, on 28 July 2016 - 11:55 AM, said:

View PostDemon Chas08, on 28 July 2016 - 11:43 AM, said:

the DiDio gas chamber.
holy shit man, maybe tone it down a tad.

Too blunt?

#37 seventhcircle

seventhcircle

living circlejerk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 12:49 PM

i just think when you compare an instance of industrialized genocide to anything, it should actually at least be genocide.

Spoiler

#38 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,413 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 03:06 PM

I like how that was in spoilers. What are his feelings? Open the spoiler tag if you want to find out!
-Oscar Wilde

#39 seventhcircle

seventhcircle

living circlejerk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 03:35 PM

:biggrin:
actually i dunno what i was thinking...

#40 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,413 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 05:03 PM

Can we rebuild John? Yes! We have the technology. We can make him better, faster, stronger!
Vertigo needs to get Nancy Collins and Caitlin Kiernan back to write John Constantine, and Lady could get her Goth John wish.
-Oscar Wilde

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users