#41 seventhcircle

seventhcircle

living circlejerk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 05:26 PM

View PostChristian, on 28 July 2016 - 05:03 PM, said:

Can we rebuild John? Yes! We have the technology. We can make him better, faster, stronger sexier!
oh wait, he already looked like sting in a time long gone... *sniff

Of cause you keep going on. We.. we all keep going on. If we stop laughing, than they have won.
[Alfonse. french-german Comedian, 17.11.15]

#42 slinker

slinker

Dr. Orpheus!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,444 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 06:32 PM

i didn't like the art. and other than the pandering character name drops and cameos, the story wasn't interesting either. can't believe simon oliver wrote that. is john constantine so difficult to write?
When you are a step ahead of everybody else, they call you a genius. When you are two steps ahead, they say you're crazy.

"If you can't say 'Fuck,' you can't say, 'Fuck the government.'" - Lenny Bruce

#43 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,265 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 07:09 PM

Perhaps. We had Delano, Ennis, Jenkins, Ellis, and Carey all wrote spot-on, highly interesting takes on John Constantine, but otherwise, not many have gotten the character right. Simon Oliver's track record on John Constantine hasn't been the best. Check out that Chas mini-series he wrote. His John in this story was leagues ahead of the horrible characterization of John in that mini-series.
I was hoping there would at least be a more interesting plot, than the bare bones one we got in this issue. Oliver's last book, Last Gang in Town, was one of the Vertigo's strongest titles in years. I thought maybe Oliver would continue with that stride in to this book, but I'm guessing DC doesn't want their writers taking too many chances on these "Rebirth" books.
"I wish it were fin du globe," said Dorian with a sigh.
"Life is such a great disappointment."
-Oscar Wilde

#44 JasonT

JasonT

Stressing over cat urine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 10:09 PM

Just as every Spider-Man reboot movie has to retell the story of Peter Parker being [ Spoiler : bitten by a radioactive spider ], so too, every issue 1 of Hellblazer has to show him conning a demon.

#45 seventhcircle

seventhcircle

living circlejerk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 10:12 PM

i always thought it was because peter parker was into gerbilling spiders and thats how you get spider powers?

Of cause you keep going on. We.. we all keep going on. If we stop laughing, than they have won.

#46 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,265 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 11:37 PM

Well, how do you explain conning demons being the way to get Hellblazer powers?
-Oscar Wilde

#47 seventhcircle

seventhcircle

living circlejerk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 07:47 AM

i was under the impression that conning demons IS the hellblazer power.

and the way you get this power is by convincing enough girls and or guys that it will be "just the tip".
duh

ok there is also the synchronicity-surfing, but i don't even know if thats still part of the narrative.

#48 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,265 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 11:34 AM

Oh, that's right. You have to drive 125 MPH down toll-free synchronicity highways in a slightly used automobile made within the past 10 years. How could I forget? John can't drive 55!
-Oscar Wilde

#49 dogpoet

dogpoet

Fappy, the anti-masturbation dolphin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,600 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 11:40 AM

I'd question that Ennis' take was "spot on", myself.

#50 seventhcircle

seventhcircle

living circlejerk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 12:37 PM

he drove one in books of magic... down a cliff.

i would say ennis take on john was exactly like you would imagine ennis take on john. only delano wrote the definite version of john constantine.

#51 Lou K

Lou K

POWAH!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,715 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 12:39 PM

I've always felt Dangerous Habits was a good take on the character.
In the age of the internet someone's sensibility is ALWAYS being tested.

~ James

Posted Image

#52 seventhcircle

seventhcircle

living circlejerk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 01:11 PM

that was not really a rating, let me put it this way:
when i read ennis i feel like sitting in a bar with this great storyteller drinking for 10 hours without getting wasted and he is telling me this very human story of some really cool bloke he knew.
when i read moores good shit i feel like i am watching a maestro trying to write his greatest symphony.
with delanos hellblazer i feel like watching someone that pukes all over society, because he quite honestly and frankly hates the living shit out of this fucked up world.
gaiman stories are wonderful dreams, that he wants you to witness, because they are so enjoyable.
wooza is the guy that reads something and then comes up with a scenario in which the stuff he read about turns everything into utter shit and at some point he goes: ah you get it, it's shit, lets think about something else.

#53 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,265 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 04:18 PM

I agree that Delano's take on John was the definitive version. Ennis' run was so early on that it wasn't jarring though. It was the second full run, so a lot of readers were choosing either Delano or Ennis' version as the definitive voice of John. As Lou said, most readers find Dangerous Habits to be the quintessential JC story. I'd say that if Ennis' run came along later, he wouldn't be in consideration for writing a proper characterization of John. It wasn't as far removed from what John Constantine's character should be as Azzarello, Milligan, "New 52", or Convergence. And, I'd prefer to read Ennis' run over anything that came after Warren Ellis, including Carey.
-Oscar Wilde

#54 lady_constantine

lady_constantine

Hogwarts Graduate

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 04:59 PM

i agree,i always felt delano's john was the definitive john constantine.ennis was good and that monster that azarello sent us and the fool miligan wrote. i don't think peopleare really taking delano's john into consideration
Wanna know what ol' Conjob gets up to nowadays? Read 'The Laughing Magician's Journal http://a-laughing-magicians-journal.blogspot.com/'.Also,check out his latest adventures at 'Elseworlds Legends http://elseworlds-legends.blogspot.com/ http://so-tru-review.blogspot.com/

#55 dogpoet

dogpoet

Fappy, the anti-masturbation dolphin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,600 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 05:51 PM

Lou, I'm sorry, but Dangerous Habits was a good two parter stretched out to three times its natural length. He did write a better Constantine there than he did in the stuff where he was assuming the guy was turning twenty despite the fact that he was Alan Moore's age, though, no question.
(I'd say Carey had the definitive version myself.)

#56 Lou K

Lou K

POWAH!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,715 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 05:57 PM

fair enough
In the age of the internet someone's sensibility is ALWAYS being tested.

~ James

Posted Image

#57 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,265 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 06:05 PM

Carey's John was the de-facto John, for mine. Carey knew how to write John, but he didn't experiment with the character in the way that Delano, Ennis, or Jenkins did. Carey's version became the version that other writers (until Milligan) tried to emulate. There was nothing wrong with Carey's take on John, it just wasn't very interesting. So, in that sense, I'd take Delano, Ennis, Jenkins, and Ellis over Carey's version, and would rank Delano's version at the top echelon. Delano's version had every factor, while Ennis, Ellis, or Carey's version all lacked one ingredient (whether innovation or consistency). Jenkins could be ranked alongside Delano's version also, when looking at characterization with those factors in mind.
-Oscar Wilde

#58 Dave

Dave

Con Artist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 12:27 AM

Finally,  a little love for Paul Jenkins who has the most underrated run of the whole series.  (Probably because it took so long to be traded)
I'm in no condition to drive...wait! I shouldn't listen to myself, I'm drunk.

#59 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,265 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 12:49 AM

Yeah, I've always said that Jenkins' run was my second favourite, after Delano. Those are the two writers on Hellblazer that I look back upon fondly. The rest of the series, I'm not such a fan of anymore.
-Oscar Wilde

#60 BobafrigginFeet

BobafrigginFeet

Street Magician

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 07:25 AM

i hope this title will finally remove the status quo that keeps John from progressing as a character. the whole thing about aging in real time doesn't seem so special because i felt like nothing much has changed for john

AN: If Constantine and Lucifer were in a drag down take out no-holds-barred fight, who wins?
MC: Lucifer wins, then as he's walking away he realizes his wallet's gone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users