14 replies to this topic

#1 seventhcircle

seventhcircle

living circlejerk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,316 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 02:02 PM

anyone here watching the occasional japanese animation?
i right now am watching berserk: the golden age arc. dark fantasy, no tedious dialogues in fights, target audience are rather adolescent i think and the quality is top notch. als really liked ninja scroll.

aynone has any recommandations of not too childish ones? (the typical shonen is imo pretty childish)

fun facts: in 2006 over 300 different anime series aired in japan. there are genres about cooking oO (gourmet) and mah jongg (stories around the game...).

there are also some marvel licensed animese around blade, wolverine and iron man (all of them seem rather mediocre, especially plotwise).

Of cause you keep going on. We.. we all keep going on. If we stop laughing, than they have won.
[Alfonse. french-german Comedian, 17.11.15]

#2 lady_constantine

lady_constantine

Hogwarts Graduate

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 08:48 PM

See?i be dodgin' shonen anime like neo dodgin ' bullets...I will say I definatley liked ninja scroll.one of my favorites. I have a twisted love afair with prject a-ko cause I'm amazed at how much ass these girls kicked and it was fun.The only shonen anime i actively watch is kill la kill cuz it's awesome (probably not a person,s cup of tea).i do like hellaing.i prefer less kid oriented stuff. As a suggestion,watch shigurui as a mpre adult anime. I also have a distate for shojo as a whole,barring the 90's classic revolutionary girl utena...which is essentially a morbid love story with crazy imagery and perfe t art.though be warned the series and apmovies are au of one another. I agree...as of late anime has been dring me up the wall with the annoying adolescent target audience and shameless pandering.but thwre are some treasures
Wanna know what ol' Conjob gets up to nowadays? Read 'The Laughing Magician's Journal http://a-laughing-magicians-journal.blogspot.com/'.Also,check out his latest adventures at 'Elseworlds Legends http://elseworlds-legends.blogspot.com/ http://so-tru-review.blogspot.com/

#3 lady_constantine

lady_constantine

Hogwarts Graduate

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 08:52 PM

As for others i like ,code geass and full metal alchemist...these are anime dosguised as shonen anime ,but much more going on...also rahxephon,like early 2000's.hmm...yrynna see what else.i love cow boy bebop,one of the best.ever and black butler was good..deathnote,though everyone has watched that.
Wanna know what ol' Conjob gets up to nowadays? Read 'The Laughing Magician's Journal http://a-laughing-magicians-journal.blogspot.com/'.Also,check out his latest adventures at 'Elseworlds Legends http://elseworlds-legends.blogspot.com/ http://so-tru-review.blogspot.com/

#4 BobafrigginFeet

BobafrigginFeet

Street Magician

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 01:12 AM

Hellblazer is my favorite anime

AN: If Constantine and Lucifer were in a drag down take out no-holds-barred fight, who wins?
MC: Lucifer wins, then as he's walking away he realizes his wallet's gone.

#5 seventhcircle

seventhcircle

living circlejerk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,316 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 08:45 PM

i don't know about full metal alchemist, it is definetly shonen, but it was done in a neat way. the overly manly man that could summon guns and sparkled was the shit. i disliked the ending, i dislike most anime endings, i feel sometimes like they all try to emulate the neon genesis evangelion ending, which was a proper mindfuck tbh.
hellsing is the only manga i own, i loved it. all characters had something, but the tedious dialogues... on the other hand, so much badassery.

shigurui seems awesome i will give it a look.

i liked black lagoon a lot, but sadly there don't seem to come more episodes.

View PostBobafrigginFeet, on 26 November 2015 - 01:12 AM, said:

Hellblazer is my favorite anime
trolling, or do you mean hellsing?

Of cause you keep going on. We.. we all keep going on. If we stop laughing, than they have won.

#6 BobafrigginFeet

BobafrigginFeet

Street Magician

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 05:25 AM

JoJo's Bizarre Adventures is AMAZING

AN: If Constantine and Lucifer were in a drag down take out no-holds-barred fight, who wins?

#7 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,271 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 08:48 AM

There'll always be a special place in my heart for Robotech, went back to try and watch it a few years ago though and unsurprisingly the animation hasn't aged particularly well.
featherweight champion, cheap to get pissed

#8 seventhcircle

seventhcircle

living circlejerk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,316 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 12:48 PM

Posted Image

#9 dogpoet

dogpoet

From Hell's heart I strike at thee...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,743 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 08:48 PM

I'm going through Cowboy Bebop at the moment.
(And wondering if Joss Whedon had seen any of it when he wrote Firefly, obvs.)

I have a similar hang up for Battle Of The Planets as JohnM has for Robotech: when I found that there is some sort of thirty-five years on reboot of the whole thing (Gathchaman Crowd) I decided I just wasn't going to go there.

#10 seventhcircle

seventhcircle

living circlejerk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,316 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 10:02 AM

if you google it, you are not the first one wondering and no statement of whedon so...

#11 dogpoet

dogpoet

From Hell's heart I strike at thee...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,743 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 12:16 PM

So it would seem. (Most of what I'd previously found about Firefly's influences online was RPG enthusiasts insisting it was based on Traveller, which is fairly persuasive argument.)

#12 BobafrigginFeet

BobafrigginFeet

Street Magician

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 01:11 AM

View Postseventhcircle, on 25 April 2016 - 12:48 PM, said:

just as Vertigo was dubbed "the HBO of the comic book world" ITT Berserk is the eastern equivalent of Hellblazer; the Hellblazer of the anime/manga industry

Especially since both constantine and guts deal with some pretty heavy stuff about human nature, darkness, fairies, and whatnot

Edited by BobafrigginFeet, 01 May 2016 - 10:34 PM.

#13 GottaGetAGrip

GottaGetAGrip

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 03:01 PM

Jojo is a very fun anime to watch in groups, especially once the Stands come into the picture.

#14 BobafrigginFeet

BobafrigginFeet

Street Magician

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 11:02 PM

just as Vertigo was dubbed "the HBO of the comic book world" ITT Berserk is the eastern equivalent of Hellblazer; the Hellblazer of the anime/manga industry

Especially since both constantine and guts deal with some pretty heavy stuff about human nature, darkness, fairies, and whatnot

or maybe Guts can be easily more compared to The Punisher

#15 seventhcircle

seventhcircle

living circlejerk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,316 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 09:18 PM

i watched through code geass.

View Postlady_constantine, on 25 November 2015 - 08:52 PM, said:

As for others i like ,code geass and full metal alchemist...these are anime dosguised as shonen anime ,but much more going on...also rahxephon,like early 2000's.hmm...yrynna see what else.i love cow boy bebop,one of the best.ever and black butler was good..deathnote,though everyone has watched that.
i watched code geass now. its good. i think it had potential for more depth on all fronts but it was above average for sure. anomations were soso.

i have also seen fate/stay unlimited blade works, which had nothing going for it but nice aniomations.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users