1563 replies to this topic

#1 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,278 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 08:49 AM

Hi, my name's John McMahon and I'll be your host here on Voices From Beyond.

I was born, raised and am currently eeking out a living in Dublin, Ireland.  I'm predisposed to music that doesn't involve beeping of any kind and am fond of the alcoholic beverage known as Smithwicks.

That's me on the far left, with forum folks Ade, Matt and James.  Standing beside Ade and behind Matt is Mike Carey.  The chunk of perspex on the table is the Diamond National Comic Award for Best Supporting Character which was bestowed upon Chas Chandler in May 2004.

Normally, I'm not that flushed looking, but drink had been taken - I'm sure you understand.
featherweight champion, cheap to get pissed

#2 Rogan

Rogan

Queer Eye For The Cam Whore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,483 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 08:50 AM

<<<MCMODERATOR>>>

Not good enough!

Edit your post and give me your name and country at the very least!

<<<ROGAN>>>
angry.gif

Bassard. Abusing your newfound abilities, i see... John - that's called censorship, and i had enough of it living in Serbia in the 90's...

Hello, everyone, my name is Abdhul Rasaganovanichisi, and i'm from Afghanistan. i blow camels.
Rule #1 to posting on this forum - don't take anything Rogan says personally, or seriously for that matter!
- John McMahon, Forum High Priest and "The Green Mountain Boy"

Anyway, this is a wonderful series, and I'm eternally in Rogan's debt for bringing it to my attention.
- Mike Carey, on La Bete Noire

"Yes I admit it I did occasionally think you came close to being humorous a few times."
- Electricinca, in conversation with Rogan.

#3 AngieIs

AngieIs

Street Magician

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 08:57 AM

Um, hi, I'm Angelique.  I'm a college student, studying History and Literature to do God only knows what when I grow up.  No, I don't want to teach, so don't ask.  I've all but liquified my brain with bad horror movies and merdiocre sci-fi novels, but so far my professors haven't caught on.  I'm addicted to Coca-cola, comic books, movies, and music, eidt: and "normal non-comic book reading"(which I don't get to do anymore 'cause bastards assign 300-400 pages of reading a week PLUS homework) so I eat a lot of ramen noodles and pay for things with pennies more often than I probably should.

#4 Abhimanyu

Abhimanyu

Psycho killer, qu'est ce que c'est.....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,244 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 09:07 AM

I'm Abhimanyu, from Calcutta in India, 22 yrs old. There are not as many slums there as people seem to think. I have never seen a cow block a road. According to Neil Gaiman in the Books of Magic, John Constantine fought in a magical war with someone not too far from my house.

I am presently studying in the US, near Philadelphia. I'm an English major and a Film Studies minor. I am addicted to exactly the same things Angie is addicted to. Plus normal non-comic book reading. And some other things I shall not mention.

I shall one day join the lucky buggers in McMahon's picture in London for one of those STH gatherings. I also want to meet Rogan to see if his avatar is actually a photograph of him.
My movie blog: Groundlingspeak

My personal blog: http://abhimanyudas.blogspot.com

#5 Mr.E.D.Meaner

Mr.E.D.Meaner

Photo Boy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 09:30 AM

I am the Meaner icon_biggrin.gif Aka Ben, an australian born lad living in Christchurch New Zealand.
I fill my time with a BFA (Bachelor of Fuck All as some like to call it) Majoring in the fine art of photography, with a side order of learning Spanish.

I am a keen night photographer
A keen swing dancer
A big fan of music and movies
A newly discovered comic book enthusiast
A gamer
And a lover of having fun!

See y'all round!
Adios

#6 A. Heathen

A. Heathen

The wisdom of Dick (Solomon)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,333 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 09:37 AM

Ade.

Living in central London may fuck your lungs up, but I like it.

I'll be doing those Hellblazer annotations as long as Mike Carey is writing it.
(john, while I think of it, perhaps you could add a link to the old forum discussions on the end  of each of the annotations pages ?)

I am a serial gig watcher - currently awaiting a three day road trip to follow Camper Van Beethoven around the UK (though sadly not in a camper van).

While I support Birmingham City and followed them through their 15 years in the wilderness, I no longer have a season ticket because football is too damn expensive these days.

My favourite film ever is usually "It's A Wonderful Life", although this week it is Bubba Ho Tep as my avatar might suggest.

Heroes: Julian Cope, Frank Worthington, Johnny Depp.

That will be all.
For now.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
"But that's the whole point, it's supernatural, these things happen.
It's not supposed to be realistic in that sense."

#7 Rogan

Rogan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,483 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 09:41 AM

<<OFFTOPIC>>

i'm downloading Bubba Ho-Tep as we speak... just finished downloading Shaun Of The Dead...

Ade - make a movie thread, and give me your review of Bubba Ho Tep, please...
Rule #1 to posting on this forum - don't take anything Rogan says personally, or seriously for that matter!

Anyway, this is a wonderful series, and I'm eternally in Rogan's debt for bringing it to my attention.

"Yes I admit it I did occasionally think you came close to being humorous a few times."

#8 Mark

Mark

"I know it's not as good as it used to be..."

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,759 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 10:58 AM

Please allow me to introduce myself...I'm (sadly not) a man of wealth and taste.

They call me Mark, usually (except Rogan, who seems happy to call me Tambouriner), and I'm 23, recently graduated (MA in English from St Andrews - it's not technically a proper MA, just a kind of 'BA-and-a-half' Scottish degree, but it sounds swanky, don't it?), and working as a legal secretary in London. Just for a wee while though, because as soon as I've saved up enough money, I'll be moving to a flat in Oslo, Norway, to be with my comics, CDs, books, DVDs, kittens, and last but not least, my beautiful wumman, Malin.

Oi likes many things, and dislikes many others. Key 'likes' would inlcude: music (of all sorts...I'm working on a book about Bob Dylan, so 'classic' folk, blues, rock & roll etc. are a given, but I also enjoy electronica, rap, heavy fuckin' METAL, and so on), reading (again, a broad church...lots of comics, hence my presence here, but primarily fairly heavy literary stuff, non-fiction, biography, and so on. I also occasionally enjoy trashy thrillers, because everyone needs a break sometimes), film (the denser and less accessible the better, as a rule...I'm a pretentious wee bastard), mountain biking, and many others. Oh, and recreational drug use gets a big thumbs up (but only weed...I've grown out of all the other shite).

Dislikes are too many to list here.

That seems fairly comprehensive...so I'll close with a little bit of 'uh huh', and a whole lot of 'oh yeah'.
"As we journey through life, discarding baggage along the way, we should keep an iron grip, to the very end, on the capacity for silliness. It preserves the soul from dessication."
- Humphrey Lyttleton, 1921-2008

"The Doctor remembers every Doctor Who story ever told. Every episode, Target book, comic strip and every game of companions and TARDISes that you played as a kid. The universe he lives in has no record of it, because paradoxes and divergent dimensions and the Time War have reset things... but the Doctor remembers and sometimes when he is sad it's because you've stopped being 8 years old and he can't run around the school playground with you anymore."
- some wise soul on the internet somewhere, 2009

#9 Carmody

Carmody

Hogwarts Graduate

• Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 12:18 PM

Hi,  you can call me Carmody.  I'm 37 weeks pregnant (baby due week 40).   I'm..um...female, British and usually fairly smart and sharp.  But with my pregnancy and the gadzillion buttons of this new forum - my brain is all confused and I have to lie down.

blink.gif
I can only please one person per day. Today isn't your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  

#10 Carmody

Carmody

Hogwarts Graduate

• Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 12:21 PM

Oh damnit!  I'm a taxi driver again!  Do I have to sleep with John once more to move on from there?

Look what happened last time...!
I can only please one person per day. Today isn't your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  

#11 electricinca

electricinca

Father of a constellation

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,035 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 12:36 PM

Matthew Wharton was born some three quarters of the way through the twentieth century in Primrose Lane. By the age of eight he had seen Star Wars and ET and had lived in four different houses. During this period he had also gained a brother to aid him in battles for the fate of the universe in galaxies far far away.

An ability in sport particularly football coupled with an extraordinary aptitude for science and mathematics enabled him to avoid pigeonholes. School for Matthew at this time was both eventful and in the scheme of things pretty uneventful. Reaching the age of majority Matthew embarked upon a course of learning in Bath, ostensibly in the subject of engineering with electrons but in actuality life itself.

It was here during the last decade of the twentieth century that the entity known as electricinca was to come into existence. Born into the Tolkienesque online virtual realm of Shadowdale electricinca began his slow spread across the internet. Y2K saw electricinca acquire a domain of his own in which to set up home, however it wasn’t until late 2003 that the gospel according to electricinca saw the light of day in the form of his blog. Thus the tale is told and yet may continue.
"Gold is the corpse of value..."
— Neal Stephenson (Cryptonomicon)

#12 Red

Red

All your capital are belong to us

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,239 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 01:51 PM

Well, I'm Red. That is, my real name is Pål (that's Paul for all you non-scandinavian heathens), and I'm a Norwegian conoisseur of all things creative - music, literature, comics, film etc. I'm educated as an historian, but works for an environmental organization, and compose music and write comics on the side. My handle is indicative of my political leanings, not my hair colour.

This is me: (taken today with a shitty webcam thingie)
Attached File  PH300904.jpg   24.3K   164 downloads

PS! Rogan is ACTUALLY named Drashko Roganovich. Roganovich means "son of the horned one". But in reality he's an AI controlled by a network of Serbian hackers intent on world domination, starting with this board.
Capital is dead labor, which, vampire-like, lives only by sucking living labor, and lives the more, the more labor it sucks.

#13 Mark

Mark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,759 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 01:54 PM

The Reds are coming! The Reds are coming!

Good to have you with us, sir.
"As we journey through life, discarding baggage along the way, we should keep an iron grip, to the very end, on the capacity for silliness. It preserves the soul from dessication."

"The Doctor remembers every Doctor Who story ever told. Every episode, Target book, comic strip and every game of companions and TARDISes that you played as a kid. The universe he lives in has no record of it, because paradoxes and divergent dimensions and the Time War have reset things... but the Doctor remembers and sometimes when he is sad it's because you've stopped being 8 years old and he can't run around the school playground with you anymore."

#14 sethos

sethos

Savior of hedgehogs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,667 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 01:56 PM

My name is Sean, I live in the Netherlands and am currently doing an MA in Celtic Studies (I already have an MA in English Lit. yep, I'm a real Mr. Smarty-Pants). oh, and I'm 28.

I like drawing, as you can judge from the sample below...

Pigfaced wizards must die.

#15 Mr. Tom Willecome

Mr. Tom Willecome

You talk the way stupid people think clever people talk.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,633 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 02:08 PM

Hello, my name is Tom.

I am 30.

I currently live in Cardiff, South Wales.

I am a wage slave who has recieved no higher education.

I like, music (more of which in a minute), comics, "proper" books, film, swearing, hurling abuse at people involved in the Warner Brothers production "Constantine" and masterbation.

I play guitar and sing in a band called "Bedford Falls". We're named after the town in Ade's favourite film. We play a delicate mix of punk, indie and country rock. We have been compared to artists like: Jawbox, Hot Water Music, Ryan Adams, Afghan Whigs, American Music Club, Jawbreaker, Moving Targets, Buffalo Tom, Husker Du and Dinosaur Jr.

When I am engaged in this activity it looks a little like this:

No, my head isn't on fire in that picture.
SPELLCHECK IS YOUR FRIEND!!!!

The Bedford Falls album is now available. PM me if you want one.

What a bunch of pussies.

#16 Mr. Tom Willecome

Mr. Tom Willecome

You talk the way stupid people think clever people talk.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,633 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 02:12 PM

Sean, knows more Welsh than I do.
SPELLCHECK IS YOUR FRIEND!!!!

The Bedford Falls album is now available. PM me if you want one.

What a bunch of pussies.

#17 Rogan

Rogan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,483 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 02:26 PM

My full name, Drashko Roganovich, actually means "Dear Son of The Horned One"...

#18 Mark

Mark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,759 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 02:36 PM

QUOTE (Rogan @ Sep 30 2004, 03:26 PM)
My full name, Drashko Roganovich, actually means "Dear Son of The Horned One"...

It does, too, doesn't it? Sweet Jebus...

Tom - photos of my good self in performance avec guitar shall wing their way forum-wards as soon as I can get hold of some...there are several, but they're mostly on my computer in Norway.

#19 Rogan

Rogan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,483 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 03:07 PM

QUOTE (Mark @ Sep 30 2004, 04:36 PM)
It does, too, doesn't it? Sweet Jebus...

you mean you didn't know?

and my mom wanted to name me Demian (a big Hesse fan, y'see... nothing to do with the Omen...)

#20 Mark

Mark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,759 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 03:10 PM

QUOTE (Rogan @ Sep 30 2004, 04:07 PM)
you mean you didn't know?
and my mom wanted to name me Demian (a big Hesse fan, y'see... nothing to do with the Omen...)

I wasn't sure what it meant, actually. Kept meaning to ask. What language group does Serbian fall under? I'm not an expert on European languages at all...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users