Straight to Hell logo competition

• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

Poll: Straight to Hell logo competition (19 member(s) have cast votes)

Which logo do you prefer?

1. Red's "There will be bollocks" (12 votes [63.16%])

Percentage of vote: 63.16%

2. Slinker's Many Face of Constantine (7 votes [36.84%])

Percentage of vote: 36.84%

3. Spain's Variation on a theme (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Spain

Spain

Iesvs Nazarenvs Rex Zombie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 04:15 PM

I am always moving.
Oh, wow, is it so fugly? Well, there goes my career as web designer. Short, but more fruitful than my PhD.
XD
Ridli Scott- Where's your spirit, boy?
J. Konstantin- I lost it in a brothel at Newcastle...

Here is my blog for the bored ones. New! Some posts are in English! And my comic blog.

#22 A. Heathen

A. Heathen

The wisdom of Dick (Solomon)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,307 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 08:03 AM

Needs a bit of tweaking.

Any suggestions welcome.
Does the white background work?
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
"But that's the whole point, it's supernatural, these things happen.
It's not supposed to be realistic in that sense."

#23 Red

Red

All your capital are belong to us

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,239 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 08:37 AM

View PostA. Heathen, on 22 May 2011 - 08:03 AM, said:

Needs a bit of tweaking.

Any suggestions welcome.
Does the white background work?
It's not bad (other than the fact that an animated gif as logo is a hazzle in itself...) But there seems to be some "noise" around the "There will be bollocks" thing.

Also, the reason I used the old-style font was to make it similar to this:

Posted Image
Capital is dead labor, which, vampire-like, lives only by sucking living labor, and lives the more, the more labor it sucks.

#24 Red

Red

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,239 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 08:39 AM

View PostSpain, on 20 May 2011 - 04:15 PM, said:

Oh, wow, is it so fugly?
No. But the orange writing is a bit blurry, and the Bush poster feels a bit dated.
Capital is dead labor, which, vampire-like, lives only by sucking living labor, and lives the more, the more labor it sucks.

#25 Spain

Spain

Iesvs Nazarenvs Rex Zombie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 09:06 AM

Very good banner! Honestly impressed by the idea. Good job Ade!
Ridli Scott- Where's your spirit, boy?
J. Konstantin- I lost it in a brothel at Newcastle...

Here is my blog for the bored ones. New! Some posts are in English! And my comic blog.

#26 A. Heathen

A. Heathen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,307 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 09:10 AM

Why is the gif an issue?
If there were a way to alternate jpgs on the forum banner I'd have gone for that.

The Old English font looks too messy with a background, and I think reference stands without it.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

#27 slinker

slinker

Dr. Orpheus!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,444 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 09:18 AM

There is a java rollover applet which swaps images of any format that comes packaged with the Adobe Dreamweaver. When I downloaded the CS5 demo, which is fully functional for 30 days. I randomly ran across it when I opened each program. I know nothing about web design so I never opened it again, but you know, if you're curious. Personally, I am honored for being included, thank you. :hattip:
When you are a step ahead of everybody else, they call you a genius. When you are two steps ahead, they say you're crazy.

"If you can't say 'Fuck,' you can't say, 'Fuck the government.'" - Lenny Bruce

#28 A. Heathen

A. Heathen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,307 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 09:23 AM

J-Mac would have to add any such application to the forum software and there's currently no option for multiple banner images on the upload thing..

#29 A. Heathen

A. Heathen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,307 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 09:25 AM

View PostRed, on 22 May 2011 - 08:39 AM, said:

View PostSpain, on 20 May 2011 - 04:15 PM, said:

Oh, wow, is it so fugly?
No. But the orange writing is a bit blurry, and the Bush poster feels a bit dated.

And I don't think it's the visual & design aspects so much as the other two are good ideas and more Constantinian.

#30 slinker

slinker

Dr. Orpheus!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,444 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 09:29 AM

View PostA. Heathen, on 22 May 2011 - 09:23 AM, said:

J-Mac would have to add any such application to the forum software and there's currently no option for multiple banner images on the upload thing..

I figured. I only said it because it popped in my head since it happened recently enough that I hadn't forgotten. Sort of an aside, really.
When you are a step ahead of everybody else, they call you a genius. When you are two steps ahead, they say you're crazy.

#31 A. Heathen

A. Heathen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,307 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 09:31 AM

It might be worth exploring, but the current one is just me selling the merged version  :hattip:

#32 Red

Red

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,239 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 09:48 AM

View PostA. Heathen, on 22 May 2011 - 09:10 AM, said:

Why is the gif an issue?

If there were a way to alternate jpgs on the forum banner I'd have gone for that.
You misunderstand. It's the animation which is a bit distracting. But good job anyway.

The Old English font looks too messy with a background, and I think reference stands without it.
Fair enough. But there's still "noise" (red dots) around the text. Needs a bit cleaning up I guess.

#33 Rogan

Rogan

Queer Eye For The Cam Whore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,483 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 02:27 PM

I must be in the minority, but it's totally not working for me (that is, I don't like it, the .gif is working fine).

The white background, the changed font on Red's, the loss of pic quality due to .gif compression... Even though i prefer Red's non-animated one, if you really want an animation, I think Slinker's would work much better, if he'd use the original photoshop file to make the many faces of Constantine appear one by one (though I'm sure that'd significantly incrase the filesize).

Or just bring back The Blazer, as a (Dick) Solomonic solution.
Rule #1 to posting on this forum - don't take anything Rogan says personally, or seriously for that matter!
- John McMahon, Forum High Priest and "The Green Mountain Boy"

Anyway, this is a wonderful series, and I'm eternally in Rogan's debt for bringing it to my attention.
- Mike Carey, on La Bete Noire

"Yes I admit it I did occasionally think you came close to being humorous a few times."
- Electricinca, in conversation with Rogan.

#34 slinker

slinker

Dr. Orpheus!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,444 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 02:08 PM

It's not impossible. Photoshop came with this program called Imageready that I believe is used to animate gifs and optimize jpegs, though photoshop does both actions, too, near as I could tell. Don't know why they needed two programs except maybe one of them generates html? But I played a bit with that Imageready because it opens animated gifs so you can see each frame. It's feasible that you have a frame for each image--time it to take maybe 1 or 1.5 seconds each frame, and just make each image visible in its own frame, one after the other. Problem is, I don't have time if I want to prepare to go out of town and play on the web. I have about 12 places I habituate online which involves the bulk of my day. If someone wishes to attempt to animate it, I can send them the photoshop layered file. It's pretty large though. but I'm happy to do it.

I don't have a problem with the header image chosen as is, though. I mean, it could change more slowly and use longer fades, maybe, but that's me nitpicking.

#35 Dave

Dave

Con Artist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:03 PM

I like the 2nd shot. The one that sort of merges all the choices together. Constantine over the collage of Constantines, Just add Straight to Hell over that, and i think you've got a winner.
I'm in no condition to drive...wait! I shouldn't listen to myself, I'm drunk.

#36 slinker

slinker

Dr. Orpheus!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,444 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:59 PM

Because I'm the sweetest guy I know, I went ahead and stuck it in image ready. All I could do was make it smoother, but I had no idea how to optimize it without going to the Vertigo brown pallet. So these are fucking huge. And if I upload them to an image hosting site, they don't animate. i put it on a filehosting site.

here it is for posterity sake

i just uploaded it so it might take a second to get set there.

#37 Rogan

Rogan

Queer Eye For The Cam Whore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,483 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 06:21 PM

This one's much smoother, slink,m though it's a bit grainy and messy. And though there is something hypnotically soothing in this animation, I still think it's a bit distracting, and would rather have Red's contest-winning entry, maybe add another frame or two of JC winking every 10-15 seconds or so, if we really need something animated.

Or maybe make a smaller header, that could be both animated and still remain of mederately eye-pleasing quality?
Rule #1 to posting on this forum - don't take anything Rogan says personally, or seriously for that matter!
- John McMahon, Forum High Priest and "The Green Mountain Boy"

Anyway, this is a wonderful series, and I'm eternally in Rogan's debt for bringing it to my attention.
- Mike Carey, on La Bete Noire

"Yes I admit it I did occasionally think you came close to being humorous a few times."
- Electricinca, in conversation with Rogan.

#38 slinker

slinker

Dr. Orpheus!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,444 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 06:29 AM

Understand, I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm an artsy fartsy fuck, so I have a predisposition toward attempting to be creative but, as I said before, I had only ever used photoshop to size images and basic color adjustment. It was like watching a blind kid try draw on the refrigeratotr with a piece of gum.

I'm fine with how the header is now but I liked how smooth the transitions I did , too. And That was the easiest part! But it's too damn big and thus a failed bit.

#39 Akhira

Akhira

Mostly void, partially stars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,509 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 05:55 PM

Was the anti-aliasing off?
"Insanity is a tool, use it well." - Robert Clark

Hellboy: Don't mess with me, Lady. I've been drinking with skeletons.

Stinking cheese  I  Boredmuse

#40 A. Heathen

A. Heathen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,307 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 07:41 PM

I don't have the software to carry this out (ie one to to make the "Red version" more prominent than the faces without making it transparent as in the current gif). But here are the two files, if someone can combine them as a jpg, I think we'll be in business.

http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/
Posted Image

http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users