Queer Eye For The Cam Whore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,483 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 01:10 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I'll try to do a rough translation of it tonight, it's a boring little story about a bunch of artist dicks hiding from the war in Zurich [it was done for an anthology of comics about WWI, but I'm no Garth Ennis, so I wrote about the only history I know anything about - Art history].
Rule #1 to posting on this forum - don't take anything Rogan says personally, or seriously for that matter!
- John McMahon, Forum High Priest and "The Green Mountain Boy"

Anyway, this is a wonderful series, and I'm eternally in Rogan's debt for bringing it to my attention.
- Mike Carey, on La Bete Noire

"Yes I admit it I did occasionally think you came close to being humorous a few times."
- Electricinca, in conversation with Rogan.

#2 Rogan

Rogan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,483 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 01:11 PM

[though, like Garth Ennis, I sure do love me some talking heads in a bar.]
Rule #1 to posting on this forum - don't take anything Rogan says personally, or seriously for that matter!

Anyway, this is a wonderful series, and I'm eternally in Rogan's debt for bringing it to my attention.

"Yes I admit it I did occasionally think you came close to being humorous a few times."

#3 Rogan

Rogan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,483 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 12:34 AM

Here's the rough translation, if anyone can be bothered with it, I've yet to persuade the artist to insert it into the original files.

-At last you came to visit, Mr. Marinetti!
-Call me Filippo, my dear Tristan!
-Feh.

-Signore Marinetti, are you familiar with the game?
-Not really. It's some kind of a group drawing?
-Of sorts. First we fold the paper in accordance with the number of participants...

-...like so. Then we each draw one piece:
- the head...
-...the body...
-...and the tail.

-Zurich, june 1916.
-The following draftsman cannot see what the previous one did, but has to continue the lingering lines that stretch into his segment, signore.
-The purpose of this deceptively simple child's game is to use the random and the suppressed to reveal the real inner truths that dwell deep within the unconscious mind.

-Who knows, we might establish we are not that different, after all?
-Prego? Non capisco! Whatever do you mean?
-Bah! Stop playing dumb, signore. Tzara, your shallow efforts to make peace between the two of us are in vain.

-Hugo! Have some decorum, please! Filippo, considering you are our guest, you have the honor to begin...
-Mille grazie! Oh, I do not mind that, by crossing out my name from his manifesto, dear Hugo here chose the past, and turned his back on the future.
-No one is questioning your influence on Dada. Your ideology, on the other hand... Besides, I've seen your "future", up close.
-Hugo...

-The very fact that we're having a so-called "world war" in the 20th century is a disgrace.
-Oh, si. I keep forgetting that you first volunteered for service and then - deserted. That's how you ended up here in Zurich, no?
-That's why we're all here in Zurich, signore. We all ran away from the war. Except you.

-But you cannot escape it, Hugo. It will come to you. That's why it is il futuro. And I wouldn't even be here among you...
-...and we are greatly honored to have you, if I may interject!
-...if my cyclist battallion hadn't been temporarily disbanded.
-So sorry to keep you away from your beloved warfare. However, I still find it paradoxical, how an individualist artist such as yourself could fall prey to such a cheap nationalist ideology.

-No greater a paradox than you, my dear Hugo: a God-fearing nihilist, anàrchico pacifista...
-...gentlemen!
-I'm not an anarchist, for I could never embrace the chaos, blow up bridges and give up on the world of ideas.

-Just as I suspected - cowardice! That is why you hide in this dive, with your tails tucked between your legs, like rats.
-It appears I have to clarify the purpose of this Cabaret to you. Its goal is to remind the world that there are independently-minded people - people beyond constraints of war and nationalism - who embrace a different set of ideals.
-And those such as yourself do not belong here. Arrivederci.

"We will glorify War — the world's only hygiene — militarism, patriotism, the destructive gesture of anarchists, beautiful ideas worth dying for, and scorn for woman."
-Filippo Tommaso Marinetti

"Not the old, not the new, but the necessary."
-Tristan Tzara

"The war is founded on a glaring mistake, men have been confused with machines."
-Hugo Ball

CADAVRE EXQUIS (Exquisite corpse)
Written by: Rogan
Artwork by: V. M. Kurylev

#4 Red

Red

All your capital are belong to us

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,239 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:37 AM

This is quite lovely, although some of the references go way over my head. Incredible artwork!
Capital is dead labor, which, vampire-like, lives only by sucking living labor, and lives the more, the more labor it sucks.

#5 Rogan

Rogan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,483 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 12:36 PM

Thanks, Red. Means a loot to me you even read it. Yeah, I went a bit overboard there with the inside-geekery and [art] history Easter eggs (like Lenin being in the background of that splash page, since he's also been known to frequent bars in Zurich in 1916, while he was working on his writing), but I hope that the basic story, about the differing outlooks on life of the three men was clear enough and that the quotes at the end would fill in some of the blanks on the archetypes I wanted these guys to represent for that WWI comic anthology.

#6 Red

Red

All your capital are belong to us

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,239 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 09:22 AM

I read some art history about all the bonkers artists who were looking forward to WWI. Some of them even enlisted, and ended up...regretting their enthusiasm. Forget what the art movement was called though...
Capital is dead labor, which, vampire-like, lives only by sucking living labor, and lives the more, the more labor it sucks.

#7 Rogan

Rogan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,483 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 11:31 AM

Yup, those were the Futurists. Marinetti wound up being in Il Duce's government, even, after WWI.

#8 seventhcircle

seventhcircle

living circlejerk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 11:39 AM

not only them (although influenced by futurists), but expressionists like franz marc and august macke were really hellbent on the war being something positive, volunteered and ultimately died for their stupidity.

Of cause you keep going on. We.. we all keep going on. If we stop laughing, than they have won.
[Alfonse. french-german Comedian, 17.11.15]

#9 Rogan

Rogan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,483 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 11:46 AM

And who knows what XX. century architecture would look like, if Antonio Sant'Elia didn't die in the war.

#10 seventhcircle

seventhcircle

living circlejerk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 11:48 AM

war is shite.

Of cause you keep going on. We.. we all keep going on. If we stop laughing, than they have won.
[Alfonse. french-german Comedian, 17.11.15]

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users