806 replies to this topic

#1 wolvy

wolvy

Sometimes... you just gotta do IT.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,131 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 09:32 PM

It's about a bunch teeanage sidekicks who come to the self realization that wearing tights and hanging around older men is just wrong.

Ok thats not what it's really about.  icon_lol.gif

HE PULSE: Who are ‘the Boys’? How did they come to work for this "secret government organization"?

GARTH ENNIS: The Boys are a CIA team assigned to watch, investigate, occasionally blackmail, now and again kick the shit out of, and when necessary kill superheroes. The whole idea is to keep super-people in line. Their leader is Billy Butcher, their newest recruit is Wee Hughie, and the other three are Mother's Milk, The Frenchman and The Female (of the Species).

Their talents and powers are simple: they excel at beating people to a pulp. Butcher, additionally, is the sneakiest and most dangerous bastard in the world.

Each member came to the team by their own path, which we'll see more of as the series progresses.

THE PULSE: Since this is a Wildstorm series are the Boys keeping track of heroes from this universe like the Authority, Wild C.A.T.s, and others in this world?

ROBERTSON: Garth and I are creating a self contained world in which ‘the Boys’ exist. Like ‘The Watchmen’, they’ll have their own continuity and rules to their universe.

THE PULSE: Why do the Boys want to do a job like this? It doesn't sound like a great thing to be "big brother" to a bunch of powerful people who, if they banded together against you, could possibly end your existence.

ENNIS: They each have their own reasons, but essentially they share an abiding dislike for and distrust of superheroes and superpower. They're more than capable of handling most superheroes; they wouldn't last long up against them otherwise.

THE PULSE: What's happening with these Boys in the first arc?

ENNIS: The first two-parter, "The Name of the Game", introduces the characters and explores their motivation. Then we move into the four part "Cherry", in which Wee Hughie learns the ropes as The Boys take down a teen superhero group called Teenage Kix. Essentially they're letting the super-community know they're back in business after an extended absence, using Teenage Kix to fire a warning shot that all superheroes will hear and heed. Simultaneously, we meet a young superheroine called Annie January AKA ‘Starlight‘ as she joins The Seven, the world's premier super team. She's got a lot to learn, too.

Should be the 3rd or 4th article down.
One Step ahead of the curve.

#2 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,268 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 09:42 PM

Oh fuck yeah!
featherweight champion, cheap to get pissed

#3 wolvy

wolvy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,131 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 09:45 PM

It ships in October.

It's going on my list in September. Then I'm just going to buy a long comic box and label it "Garth Ennis Titles".

I do like the fact that this time he's not going to be making a mess out of well known characters.

#4 Lou K

Lou K

POWAH!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,794 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 09:45 PM

$OLD!!!
In the age of the internet someone's sensibility is ALWAYS being tested.

~ James

Posted Image

#5 James

James

Chinese bakery

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,706 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 11:18 PM

Yeah, why not? The end of Seven Soldiers opens up about two slots a month and god knows Vertigo's not putting out anything worth buying these days (aside from the old guard, of course).

#6 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,268 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 11:28 PM

I'm more excited for this than the much-talked about City Lights.

#7 James

James

Chinese bakery

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,706 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 11:28 PM

To be fair, we don't know much more about City Lights than, "it's some people in a pub," do we?

#8 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,268 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 11:39 PM

True, really this almost sounds like Hitman Volume Two, which suits me just fine.

#9 wolvy

wolvy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,131 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 12:29 AM

Theres been no mention of City Lights. It's most likely on hold till Ennis gets his shit straight.

#10 JasonT

JasonT

Stressing over cat urine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,110 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 01:17 AM

WOLVY:
It's about a bunch teeanage sidekicks who come to the self realization that wearing tights and hanging around older men is just wrong.

biggrin.gif

Thanks for the heads-up, that looks great. What with the new Batmen and Wormwood: Gentleman Corpse, my buy list is going from zero to 4.

#11 TestosteRohne

TestosteRohne

An Inconvenient Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 02:20 AM

But wasn't that what Stormwatch Team Achilles was about?
So the guy lied, why cancel the series?!
Same as it ever was...Same as it ever was...Same as it ever was...
Same as it ever was...Same as it ever was...Same as it ever was...
Same as it ever was...Same as it ever was...

#12 Tony B.

Tony B.

Giant Halfling

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,846 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 08:05 AM

That will be fun indeed.
"I think I could turn and live with animals. They are so placid and self-contained. They do not lie awake in the dark and weep for their sins. They do not make me sick discussing their duty to God. Not one of them kneels to another or to his own kind that lived thousands of years ago. Not one of them is respectable or unhappy, all over the earth."

"No I'll tell you what's gonna happen, she can take half your shit man. She can take half your car, half the trailer park, half your video game, she can even take half your cigarettes Ricky."

#13 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,268 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 09:07 AM

QUOTE (TestosteRohne @ Mar 21 2006, 02:20 AM)
So the guy lied, why cancel the series?!

Cause it was selling, roughly, 7 copies a month ?

Wolvy's made up description reminded me of the disturbing Brat Pack by Rick Veitch.

#14 James

James

Chinese bakery

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,706 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 12:36 PM

Oh no, an evil Simon Pegg. icon_eek.gif That font is VERY Hitman, isn't it? Definitely onboard for this, although I'm guessing that The Boys won't be as sympathetic as Tommy and Natt.

On an Ennisy note, were any of the Dicks issues collected past the first trade? And what happened to that JLA/Hitman story Ennis was going to do?

#15 wolvy

wolvy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,131 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 04:00 PM

QUOTE (James @ Mar 21 2006, 04:36 AM)
Oh no, an evil Simon Pegg. icon_eek.gif That font is VERY Hitman, isn't it? Definitely onboard for this, although I'm guessing that The Boys won't be as sympathetic as Tommy and Natt.

On an Ennisy note, were any of the Dicks issues collected past the first trade? And what happened to that JLA/Hitman story Ennis was going to do?

I think the JLA/Hitman story is going to be used in JLA classified, much any other un used or out of continuity story.

#16 Mark

Mark

"I know it's not as good as it used to be..."

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,759 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 04:17 PM

Yeah, that's right - it's still due to come out at some point, so far as I know, but hasn't been solicited yet. It'll happen eventually.
"As we journey through life, discarding baggage along the way, we should keep an iron grip, to the very end, on the capacity for silliness. It preserves the soul from dessication."
- Humphrey Lyttleton, 1921-2008

"The Doctor remembers every Doctor Who story ever told. Every episode, Target book, comic strip and every game of companions and TARDISes that you played as a kid. The universe he lives in has no record of it, because paradoxes and divergent dimensions and the Time War have reset things... but the Doctor remembers and sometimes when he is sad it's because you've stopped being 8 years old and he can't run around the school playground with you anymore."
- some wise soul on the internet somewhere, 2009

#17 Lou K

Lou K

POWAH!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,794 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 05:24 PM

QUOTE (James @ Mar 21 2006, 07:36 AM)
On an Ennisy note, were any of the Dicks issues collected past the first trade?

I don't know the answer to your question but I will say that Dicks 2 was much better than the first series and well worth reading.

~ James

Posted Image

#18 James

James

Chinese bakery

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,706 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 07:15 PM

Cool. I liked the first, but not to the extent that I'll bother to track down the issues. If I come across them at Bristol I'll probably pick them up, though. How many were there?

#19 Tony B.

Tony B.

Giant Halfling

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,846 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 08:19 PM

Ah yes Dicks, Ennis at his best/worst.  Love that Aborter.
"I think I could turn and live with animals. They are so placid and self-contained. They do not lie awake in the dark and weep for their sins. They do not make me sick discussing their duty to God. Not one of them kneels to another or to his own kind that lived thousands of years ago. Not one of them is respectable or unhappy, all over the earth."

"No I'll tell you what's gonna happen, she can take half your shit man. She can take half your car, half the trailer park, half your video game, she can even take half your cigarettes Ricky."

#20 Lou K

Lou K

POWAH!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,794 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 11:17 PM

QUOTE (James @ Mar 21 2006, 02:15 PM)
How many were there?

4. All of which, I think, have extra sick variant covers. Then there's a holdiay special or two.

I think The Boys sounds like mad fun. Glad to see it at Wildstorm instead of DC because it will alow them to cross the line a bit, if not just piss all over it.

~ James

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users