1933 replies to this topic

#1 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,268 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 11:39 AM

After six months of grossing about Ellis, I've actually got some positive words to share about his material - so on with the show!

JLU - Dark Heart : Finally got around to watching his episode of the JLU cartoon as it's pretty cool and has a handful of very Ellis scenes - the highlight being the Atom catching a rest after a scrap and spouting some pure Warren dialogue.  Very straight forward stuff : a pulsating, metallic yet organic alien heart lands on top of a mountain and starts birthing robotic spiders and tiger-like creatures.  Cue a massive scrap involving dozens of heroes trying to contain the creatures while the Atom invades the heart to look for a means of shutting it down.  

Batman (while falling through the air) : I need air support.

Batman : Now.

Batman : On account of not being able to fly.

Batman : At all.

Ocean #1 & #2 : I'm not a subscriber to Warren's "Golly Gee Whiz Isn't Space Super!" line of thinking but I liked this - UN arm's inspector investigates an alien weapon's cache...which has just been fired up by Microsoft!  It's five issues long and feels better paced then the three issue minis he did a few years back.  Could all still go terribly wrong but enjoying it so far.
featherweight champion, cheap to get pissed

#2 Chris

Chris

Pimp of the Year

• Members
  • 840 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 08:59 PM

Oh yeah, I saw that JLU episode a few weeks back. That bit with Batman falling out of the plane was great.

I thought Iron Man was good too.

#3 Rogan

Rogan

Queer Eye For The Cam Whore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,483 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 09:01 PM

that JLU episode sounds good... note to self : download it ASAP...

Frank ironwine was pretty good too, and it seems his Ultimate FF is starting to read like a semi-normal comic again...
Rule #1 to posting on this forum - don't take anything Rogan says personally, or seriously for that matter!
- John McMahon, Forum High Priest and "The Green Mountain Boy"

Anyway, this is a wonderful series, and I'm eternally in Rogan's debt for bringing it to my attention.
- Mike Carey, on La Bete Noire

"Yes I admit it I did occasionally think you came close to being humorous a few times."
- Electricinca, in conversation with Rogan.

#4 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,268 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 12:29 AM

I'm not totally sold on Iron Man - the art is draw-droppingly gorgeous and I quite enjoyed the interview scenes but...well...it was a double sized issue and not a whole lot seemed to happen.

I've spoken about Ironwine before, thought it was groovy and would love some more, my favourite Ellis book in yonks.

#5 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,378 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 01:17 AM

Characterization, man! Characterization! That's what the majority of issue #1 or "Iron Man" was used for. I'm not going to say Warren Ellis has redeemed himself with "Iron Man", as we've only see part 1 of a SIX-issue story-arc (God, I so hate Marvel's policy of "we want you to try to make your stories into 6-part installments"!!!), but #1 was really promising and I hope it ends up staying as good as #1.
I'm also still very fond of "Planetary". Ellis went off-track for a bit with this whole "Four" story-line, but it's still one of the best comics currently on the market, IMO.

Besides that, I've been trying to avoid new Ellis work like the plague! "Orbiter" was the last straw for me, and "Ultimate Nightmare" was just way too much for me! I lost a lot of respect for Ellis as a writer with those two projects, plus I've said countless times, "I love space, let's all love it together" stories every month make me so sick!
"I wish it were fin du globe," said Dorian with a sigh.
"Life is such a great disappointment."
-Oscar Wilde

#6 Lou K

Lou K

POWAH!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,794 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 01:49 AM

Damn, I would love to check out that JLU episode. Never seen that show.

I'm down with Iron Man, Global Frequency (shame it's over), a few shorties like Red and Tokyo Storm Warning, and Strange Killings.

Wozza's slipped up a couple of times but his fuck ups are still better than some folks best days.
In the age of the internet someone's sensibility is ALWAYS being tested.

~ James

Posted Image

#7 Max Eisenberg

Max Eisenberg

Trenchcoat Brigade

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 01:54 AM

QUOTE (JohnMcMahon @ Dec 7 2004, 08:29 PM)
...Iron Man - the art is draw-droppingly gorgeous...

That's all it takes to get you to drop your draw(ers), John?

#8 Josh

Josh

Golden Child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,280 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 06:38 AM

I'm not really sold on any of Ellis' newest, Ocean, Ironwine or Ironman, but it's a bit maddening that I can't dismiss any of them either.

Ironwine has the Ellis wacko humor, which can be fun or inappropriate.  Otherwise, I'm not a big fan of detective stories.  I need to reread #1 because I'm truly not sure how I feel about this one.

Ironman is a character that I keep wanting to like, but until now he hasn't done much that's interested me.  In Ellis' newest version of the book, the story about the guy with the weird injection didn't intrigue me at all, but the characterization stuff about Tony Stark did.  He comes across like someone who could be a big player in corporate high tech today, and not just some colorless pirahna like Andy Grove or Bill Gates, either.  I do find myself interested in this guy who had the guts to be interviewed by someone he had every reason to believe would do a hackjob on him.  The bar scene with his new woman friend is also strong.  His conversation with his secretary is a bit like Ellis' own personality jumping into Stark's head as he wakes up in the garage, so it wasn't quite so convincing for me since it clashed with the writing in the other two scenes.  I have no idea how much longer I'll keep buying the book, but there is hope for a worthwhile new take on the character.

Ocean seems to be a good story but I'm a bit unhappy that Ellis took two issues to get where he should have in one.  More specifically, the last scene of issue #2 and the dialogue leading up to it should have been at the end of the first issue.  I've now gotten quite nervous about decompression in anything Ellis writes, which doesn't helped me to enjoy his recent work.

#9 JasonT

JasonT

Stressing over cat urine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,110 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 03:09 AM

I've been raving about Iron Man 1 to everyone, but now I'm not so enraptured.

No doubt Warren is a great guy, etc etc, but I gots two ongoing problems with his writing:

1. He's not good at structure or pacing.
2. His scripts are padded and under-written.

I thought Iron Man 1 had overcome the latter problem - in fact I thought Adi Granov was the perfect collaborator for Warren, because when Warren tries to fill a whole page with three panels, Adi makes it worth the price of admission. I thought, not a lot happened in that issue, but it was still much better than Warren's usual.

But then John had to go and point out that Iron Man 1 was a double issue, which I hadn't noticed. Hmm.

Does Granov's art remind anyone else of The Trigan Empire?

- Jason

#10 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,378 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 06:28 AM

hmm....But you did not notice it was a double issue, so this could go two ways. Maybe it was just so enjoyable that you read right through without realizing how long the story was? When I notice that a book is more pages, it is usually because I'm bored with it and wished it was ended already.

Also, you have to remember that this was Ellis' first issue of a brand-new "Iron Man"! Ellis spent the issue introducing us to Tony Stark and working on characterization. I felt that Ellis did a great job of this! Plus, he gave us the beginnings of a new plot with the black goop. There's a lot of info given us in this one issue.
Would you have been happier if Tony Stark immediately put on armour, went out and found that a chemical industry was involved with something crooked, he finds out the industries' dark secret, he goes on the trail and beats up some people to find out where the thugs with the chemical are at, he goes to the warehouse, busts down the door, beats up the thugs and has a big battle with the black goop covered thing?
Lots might happen, I guess....but we would have no idea who Tony Stark is, what his motivations are, why we should cheer him other than that he's called "Iron Man"....
I commend Warren Ellis for issue #1. Now, #2 may ruin all this because not much still might happen! But, I'm one of Ellis' harshest critics because I feel the guy has become a hack since the end of Transmet; so I'm not one of Ellis' big fans who supports any crap he puts out.
-Oscar Wilde

#11 Mr. Tom Willecome

Mr. Tom Willecome

You talk the way stupid people think clever people talk.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,633 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 08:32 AM

You do like to use the word "hack" don't you?
SPELLCHECK IS YOUR FRIEND!!!!

The Bedford Falls album is now available. PM me if you want one.

What a bunch of pussies.

#12 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,268 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 11:48 AM

The preview pages for Iron Man #2 are disappointing, three pages of Tony Stark talking about a mobile phone  icon_cry.gif

#13 Josh

Josh

Golden Child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,280 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 04:37 AM

That would be okay if the conversation is great stuff, but I take it it isn't?

#14 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,268 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 01:21 AM

Judge for yourelf.

#15 Mr. Tom Willecome

Mr. Tom Willecome

You talk the way stupid people think clever people talk.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,633 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 10:23 AM

My ?????
SPELLCHECK IS YOUR FRIEND!!!!

The Bedford Falls album is now available. PM me if you want one.

What a bunch of pussies.

#16 Josh

Josh

Golden Child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,280 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 12:01 PM

QUOTE (JohnMcMahon @ Dec 11 2004, 06:21 PM)
Judge for yourelf.

Maybe I'm weird, but I liked the conference call and switchover to dealing with his new girlfriend (and not coincidentally the injected guy subplot).  It may not be the wisest way to go with the character (only time will tell), but I've got to give Ellis and Marvel credit for trying something new.

#17 Lou K

Lou K

POWAH!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,794 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 04:17 PM

Yup...those review pages were boring. Hopefully something else happens after that.
In the age of the internet someone's sensibility is ALWAYS being tested.

~ James

Posted Image

#18 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,268 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 01:00 PM

Ocean #3 : Jackson King vs Microsoft.  Sort of.  Enjoying this a lot more than I thought I would (didn't pick up the first two issues when they originally came out), mainly cause Warren's taken the time to flesh out the characters at least a little, something we didn't see in the raft of three issue minis he did there a few years back.

#19 stanleylieber

stanleylieber

Constanteen PG15

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 December 2004 - 11:07 PM

It took me a really long time to warm up to Ellis, having encountered him online before actually getting around to reading any of his work. After some initial distaste with the first few stories I tried out, I've grown to really enjoy Planetary and Transmet; and now Iron Man, Ocean, and the Aparat stuff. I've been buying Ultimate Fantastic Four but I'm not sure how much longer I'll continue.

Anyway, I've had to rescind previous oaths about the quality of his writing. He has at least earned a little rope.

#20 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,378 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 05:21 AM

sigh...I've tried to be patient with Ellis, but he's almost become Chris Claremont. Now, don't get me wrong, he does have more talent that Claremont has today; but both of them are writers who were amongst the greatest comic book writers when they were in their prime (Ellis on Transmet, H.B., Marvel, and WildStorm; Claremont's original "Uncanny"), but have now become pale shells of their former selves, content to stand on their laurels. Claremont writes stories full of plot holes and deux-ex-machina, mostly focusing around slave trading and mind control (go to a fuckin' S&M club Chris!!! biggrin.gif ). Ellis writes horribly decompressed stories, mostly focusing on love of space.
"Planetary" seems to be the only book Ellis can write anymore! And, I do adore "Planetary" very much, mind.

I was starting to warm up the guy again, after the embarrassment of "Orbiter" and "Ultimate Nightmare", with his "Iron Man" series. #1 was very impressive, but #2 is pretty much the exact same things that happened in #1!!! Where was the plot advancement?! #1 was a freakin' double-sized issued for Shiva's sake!!! This is a freakin' 6-part story-line!!! SOMETHING should happen in #2!
-Oscar Wilde

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users