282 replies to this topic

#281 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,387 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 08:31 PM

I forgot that Kadrey had written a comic before he took over Lucifer.
I seem to remember not really enjoying it at the time, although it's been so long since it was released that I don't remember why I didn't find it enjoyable.

Si Spurrier has a new comic coming from Image later this year, titled Angelic. It sounds worth a look. It takes place on a far future Earth after humanity has gone extinct. The only life left on the planet are the bio-technologically enhanced animals which humanity engineered as a slave race. Human civilization is dimly remembered in the myths of these animals' culture.
"I wish it were fin du globe," said Dorian with a sigh.
"Life is such a great disappointment."
-Oscar Wilde

#282 dogpoet

dogpoet

From Hell's heart I strike at thee...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,746 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 12:13 PM

That sounds a bit '60s new wave, doesn't it?

#283 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,387 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 04:36 PM

Generation Gone #1, by Ales Kot, was pretty good. I'm not sure about that ending though....this really didn't need to go in the direction of a superhero book. It was a very realistic plot, up until that point. I'm not sure if I'm interested in coming back now.
Otherwise, it takes place in the near future, as the economy continues to struggle. The majority of young people are unemployed or work in low-wage, part-time, temp jobs....so, pretty close to 2017. The main characters are three 20-sometbings who are poor and angry. They're hackers, trying to use those skills to change their lives. The girlfriend works two menial jobs.
Another character is a computer scientist who works for DARPA, as it's the only way he can get funding for his real goal. While he designs bigger and better weapons for the US military, he spends his spare time working on "Project: Utopia", which is a way to create superpowers in real life. The government isn't very fond of his pet project, but continue to allow him his extravagance, due to his genius abilities, which have shown much promise for the future of military tech.
The three hackers have been hacking in to DARPA files also, eventually planning to release information about what the peoples' tax money is being spent on, while the government claims to be "broke". What they don't realize is that the DARPA computer scientist is aware of their hacks, but has been keeping it secret from the State.
When the government decides to crack down on "Project: Utopia", shutting down his work in that area, he decides as a last-ditch effort to test his work on the three hackers.
"I wish it were fin du globe," said Dorian with a sigh.
"Life is such a great disappointment."
-Oscar Wilde

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users