760 replies to this topic

#41 slinker

slinker

Dr. Orpheus!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,444 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 06:32 PM

I don't mind it, I guess, as long as they do a good job. It just seems like whenever anyone wants to "change a comic for movies or tv" it's usually for the worst.
When you are a step ahead of everybody else, they call you a genius. When you are two steps ahead, they say you're crazy.

"If you can't say 'Fuck,' you can't say, 'Fuck the government.'" - Lenny Bruce

#42 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,251 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 08:27 AM

New teaser trailer :

featherweight champion, cheap to get pissed

#43 slinker

slinker

Dr. Orpheus!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,444 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 08:04 PM

Making of...

http://link.brightco...id=628200502001
When you are a step ahead of everybody else, they call you a genius. When you are two steps ahead, they say you're crazy.

#44 Mark

Mark

"I know it's not as good as it used to be..."

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,759 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 11:50 PM

So, not to get everybody's hopes up or anything, but I just found a pre-release copy of the first episode of The Walking Dead out there in internetland. Fairly low-res - although perfectly watchable on a laptop monitor - but it seemed complete and finished to me. And it's...really, really good.

NON-SPECIFIC SUMMARY FOLLOWS - NO PLOT SPOILERS.

I don't want to spoil anything, but it's not much of a giveaway to suggest that it follows the events of the first couple of issues fairly faithfully. It's far from a carbon copy, but the overall shape of the narrative is pretty similar - quite a few sequences substantially expanded-upon, though, and a good few reveals, character moments and settings are changed quite a bit. It all works well, though, both as an adaptation and as a pilot in its own right.

In some ways it's a pretty bold pilot episode - there's very little dialogue, outside of a couple of key scenes, and the pacing is suitably deliberate. Not uncomfortably-slow, but it takes a lot more time to set up the world than the comic did, which allows them space to really rack up the tension. It's not jump-out-of-your-seat scary, but does a fine job of replicating the creeping sense of numb horror which the book was trying to evoke. While things are kept fairly low-key most of the way through, there's a big sequence near the end with a spectacular money shot, which is all the more effective because we've been made to wait for it.

Of course, now I've got to wait even longer before the second episode airs (although I'll be watching this again when the proper, hi-res broadcast version shows up). But thus far...a job very well done.
"As we journey through life, discarding baggage along the way, we should keep an iron grip, to the very end, on the capacity for silliness. It preserves the soul from dessication."
- Humphrey Lyttleton, 1921-2008

"The Doctor remembers every Doctor Who story ever told. Every episode, Target book, comic strip and every game of companions and TARDISes that you played as a kid. The universe he lives in has no record of it, because paradoxes and divergent dimensions and the Time War have reset things... but the Doctor remembers and sometimes when he is sad it's because you've stopped being 8 years old and he can't run around the school playground with you anymore."
- some wise soul on the internet somewhere, 2009

#45 Abhimanyu

Abhimanyu

Psycho killer, qu'est ce que c'est.....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,244 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 07:54 AM

Yeah, I saw this on the interwebs but decided not to watch it once I saw the quality. Thanks a lot for the review.
My movie blog: Groundlingspeak

My personal blog: http://abhimanyudas.blogspot.com

#46 Mark

Mark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,759 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 12:13 PM

I'd imagine it'd have looked pretty crap on a big TV screen, but on a laptop, it didn't look any worse than an old television picture to me. Back before I left home, in the pre-digital broadcast days, pretty much everything we watched on BBC2 used to look far worse than this did. But I'm the last person who anyone should be asking about picture quality, because short of visible pixelation and/or image distortion, it just doesn't really register for me - I appreciate HD for sports broadcasts and that's about it.
"As we journey through life, discarding baggage along the way, we should keep an iron grip, to the very end, on the capacity for silliness. It preserves the soul from dessication."

"The Doctor remembers every Doctor Who story ever told. Every episode, Target book, comic strip and every game of companions and TARDISes that you played as a kid. The universe he lives in has no record of it, because paradoxes and divergent dimensions and the Time War have reset things... but the Doctor remembers and sometimes when he is sad it's because you've stopped being 8 years old and he can't run around the school playground with you anymore."

#47 Abhimanyu

Abhimanyu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,244 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 01:35 PM

View PostMark, on 23 October 2010 - 12:13 PM, said:

I'd imagine it'd have looked pretty crap on a big TV screen, but on a laptop, it didn't look any worse than an old television picture to me. Back before I left home, in the pre-digital broadcast days, pretty much everything we watched on BBC2 used to look far worse than this did. But I'm the last person who anyone should be asking about picture quality, because short of visible pixelation and/or image distortion, it just doesn't really register for me - I appreciate HD for sports broadcasts and that's about it.

Yeah, I'm a big A/V nerd. I never watch any TV/movies on subpar quality. I used to make exceptions for TV but these days, television has started incorporating cinema-quality cinematography/direction/FX so I figure I should watch that stuff the way it was meant to be seen. I generally hook up my laptop to a large HDTV via an HDMI cable to watch everything I download. It looks almost as good as the standard digital cable picture with the regular sized rips. When it's content that I know is visually spectacular (like The Walking Dead), I occasionally spend the time/bandwidth on the larger 720p rips. Those look absolutely amazing on the big screen. Just makes it more fun.

#48 Mark

Mark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,759 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 01:46 PM

View PostAbhimanyu, on 23 October 2010 - 01:35 PM, said:

I generally hook up my laptop to a large HDTV via an HDMI cable to watch everything I download. It looks almost as good as the standard digital cable picture with the regular sized rips.

Heh - I do the same, generally (although I tend to just stream via the Xbox, for simplicity's sake, and if I'm lazing on the sofa, I'll often end up just watching stuff on the laptop anyway). I've watched a few 720p rips, and while the higher-resolution is definitely noticeable, it simply doesn't make enough of a difference to the overall viewing experience for me to consider it worth bothering with - if I'm not sufficiently-absorbed in the show to have stopped consciously noticing the picture quality after a few minutes, then it's probably not something I'm going to keep watching anyway.

But then, I don't care about the difference between a high-bitrate .mp3 and an uncompressed .wav, either - I guess that, as long as the quality exceeds a certain minimum level, A/V perfection is just one of those things which simply doesn't ring my bell. It's not like I'm short of other stuff to get obsessively hung-up on, after all...

#49 slinker

slinker

Dr. Orpheus!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,444 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 07:06 AM

The one I found was pretty decent quality. I think someone must have gone back and done something to make it better (but I hate to speculate what and how). Am about to check it out. Pretty stoked because I was going to have to DVR the premiere Halloween night as I suddenly have plans I didn't expect. So, happy bonus time for ME!

#50 Abhimanyu

Abhimanyu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,244 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 07:37 AM

View Postslinker, on 24 October 2010 - 07:06 AM, said:

The one I found was pretty decent quality. I think someone must have gone back and done something to make it better (but I hate to speculate what and how). Am about to check it out. Pretty stoked because I was going to have to DVR the premiere Halloween night as I suddenly have plans I didn't expect. So, happy bonus time for ME!

I'm not sure whether DVR'ing counts ratings-wise but you should do that anyway. A lot hinges on the show's ratings for the first two episodes. Wouldn't want this being cancelled. It seems unlikely since everyone and their mom seems to love zombies these days but still.

#51 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,251 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:42 AM

FX are teasing this over the closing credits of some programmes with a spiel along the lines of "Coming November 5th, the director's cut of the biggest TV event since The Wire"!

They don't mention the actual name of the show but I believe that's when The Walking Dead actually starts in the UK/Ireland.

#52 slinker

slinker

Dr. Orpheus!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,444 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 11:58 PM

Oh, I'll definitely DVR. I keep whole seasons of my favorite shows. I'll probably even leave my TV on AMC while I'm gone just so if anyone checks, it's viewing Walking Dead live.

And, ohmygod! It was fabulous! It comes off more like an American tragedy than a horror tale. The zombies are more than just monsters to flee, they are human beings with no humanity or consciousness or motivation other than eating (poor horse!). This is nothing new, but the way the creators of the show-and this also is why the comic is so great-slice these pathetic monsters into former humans, of whose former humanity we get these tiny glimpses, is creative storytelling at its height for the medium of TV.

Seriously, when it started, I teared up. No idea why, but this is the culmination of a dream for me. I think Walking Dead might be my favorite comic, and at least episode 1 more than does the comic a good service. I even watched it critically and tried to find stuff that was sub-par,and other than a clumsy scene between 2 characters who are only in the show for 1 scene (no spoiler here), well one of them is, but it was a scene included to foreshadow coming drama that really didn't fit, or wasn't necessary.

The sounds the zombies make are unique and creepy.

And Mark's general review earlier was pretty much on the money. Let me echo how cleverly the pacing fits the narrative. Honestly, I can't recall a better premiere episode of a TV show. Breaking Bad was killer, but WD wins the blue ribbon from me.

#53 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,251 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:50 AM

You've got me like a kid on Christmas Eve waiting for this now you bastard!  :angry:

#54 James

James

Chinese bakery

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,706 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 09:02 AM

View PostAbhimanyu, on 24 October 2010 - 07:37 AM, said:

I'm not sure whether DVR'ing counts ratings-wise but you should do that anyway. A lot hinges on the show's ratings for the first two episodes. Wouldn't want this being cancelled. It seems unlikely since everyone and their mom seems to love zombies these days but still.

Surely unless you're in one of the Neilsen households it won't make a difference?

#55 Abhimanyu

Abhimanyu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,244 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 12:01 PM

View PostJames, on 27 October 2010 - 09:02 AM, said:

View PostAbhimanyu, on 24 October 2010 - 07:37 AM, said:

Surely unless you're in one of the Neilsen households it won't make a difference?

Yeah, you're right. Forgot about how that idiotic Nielsen system works.

#56 slinker

slinker

Dr. Orpheus!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,444 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 07:00 AM

Nielson is but one rating system. If you have a cable box or SAT dish or any other method of watching the tele which includes your ability to record programs and/or watch TV shows directly after they have aired or order movies for a fee--basically if you pay a subscription service, everything you watch is logged on a server--especially ads you didn't FFwd through (they no longer mind FFwding through ads because when you don't, it gives them enough info to customize the kinds of ads you receive. I was surprised to learn that based on my viewing habits, I get different ads in commercial breaks than my next door neighbor, depending on the channel. Have you ever watched TV, a local commercial comes on, then you catch the last 3 seconds of another ad that seems national? Well, it used to be local cable companies putting on local ads they broadcast to all their regional subscribers, rather than whatever ad the network aired nationally. But now, with more sophisticated boxes, they can, again based on your viewing habits, which you cannot hide in any way other than setting your channels on crap that stinks and then downloading torrents (I know a guy who does this to "fuck with marketing"). So, nowadays, program logs for certain demographics are sold by cable companies and providers to the networks who treat them with higher priority than they do Nielsen's. Neilsen has been in danger of becoming obsolete, but hired someone from one of the big telecoms to modernize how they take, process, measure and report data. Nielsen families are soon to be gone the way of the dodo, replaced by simple ".txt" or ".log" files for a given period of time - week, month, specific days, etc. All of a sudden, your commercials seem to be more about stuff that doesn't offend your senses quite as badly as it used to, and you are getting the TV version of custom pop-up ads, or something like that.

#57 James

James

Chinese bakery

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,706 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 12:41 PM

View Postslinker, on 28 October 2010 - 07:00 AM, said:

But now, with more sophisticated boxes, they can, again based on your viewing habits, which you cannot hide in any way other than setting your channels on crap that stinks and then downloading torrents (I know a guy who does this to "fuck with marketing").

That guy's a moron. All he's doing is encouraging worse TV.

#58 slinker

slinker

Dr. Orpheus!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,444 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 09:32 PM

Yeah well, he's an anarchosyndicalist so maybe he likes bad TV?

#59 Dave

Dave

Con Artist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 08:44 PM

This show was AWESOME!!!!
I'm in no condition to drive...wait! I shouldn't listen to myself, I'm drunk.

#60 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,251 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 11:08 PM

Spoiler heavy post ahoy.

As always starting with the negative....

The scene where Rick's about to shoot himself and then just pops up into the tank...what in the ?  Did he just spot the hatch when he looked up maybe ?  Felt really weird.

That aside though, a startlingly faithful adaptation of the first issue of the comic with the 'new' stuff being amongst the highlights of the episode!  The zombies looked great and I was really surprised at the levels of gore on display, how many on-camera headshots where there ?  Speaking of, Morgan popping zombies with his newly-acquired hunting rifle while Rick indulged his compassionate killer side was excellently done.

Smashing use of the tank despite my slight grumble up above, top visual to fade out on and the audio introduction over the radio of a certain character was perfect, absolutely perfect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users