222 replies to this topic

#41 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,345 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 09:04 PM

Yeah. Squirrel Girl's new #1 issue had the blurb, "Only Our Second #1 Issue This Year, So Far!" on the cover. It was funny and so apt.
Hawkeye, Howard the Duck, and Squirrel Girl all only had like five issues in their new series, and each got relaunched randomly for Secret Wars.
"I wish it were fin du globe," said Dorian with a sigh.
"Life is such a great disappointment."
-Oscar Wilde

#42 Lou K

Lou K

POWAH!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,774 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 09:06 PM

classic marvel haha
In the age of the internet someone's sensibility is ALWAYS being tested.

~ James

Posted Image

#43 JasonT

JasonT

Stressing over cat urine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,107 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 10:57 PM

View PostChristian, on 13 November 2015 - 07:33 PM, said:

Not most of it, no, Jason. It's nearly impossible to come across 2000 AD over here. We got all the classic stuff from the 1980s with the Quality Comics reprints, but they stopped publishing in the 1990s. Even the Trades are from a British publisher, so I'd have to pay international shipping charges to get a copy.

Or check your PMs. :smile:

EDIT: Perhaps you'd be kind enough to clear out your PM inbox so I could f*cking send you a f*cking message. No pressure.

Edited by JasonT, 13 November 2015 - 11:03 PM.

#44 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,345 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 09:22 PM

Awww, why so angry?
How did that happen anyway?
I hope no secret admirer was attempting to send me something!
-Oscar Wilde

#45 JasonT

JasonT

Stressing over cat urine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,107 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 12:39 AM

Never mind your nonsense, young man. Go and check your PMs. :smile:

#46 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,345 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 12:50 AM

Captain America #3-"Tonight on FOX News, the new Captain America comic book (did I mention that Captain America is now a negro?) paints a clear and disturbing picture that the enemy is within and needs to be fought by Captain America, and that 'enemy' has a face and name, and that name is conservatives! It's true. First, it was people opposed to illegal immigration, now it's mad scientists involved with illegal bio-genetic engineering on humans beings! This is obvious code for Republicans! That's right, Captain America (who is a negro now, did I mention that?) is subliminally telling everyone to hunt down and kill Republicans! Look at the page, folks. It's right there! Captain America (the negro) is turned in to a werewolf. A werewolf, people! All the signs are there. It's an attack on conservative Christian values, without a doubt!".
Spencer includes a funny joke, mocking the FOX crowd's over-reaction to the Sons of the Serpent story in this very issue, as well. I'm sure it's much funnier than my own attempt, even.
-Oscar Wilde

#47 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,345 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 07:53 PM

So, guess what? Star Lord gets a total reboot! The only character in the entire Marvel line who gets to start from scratch is a minor character who was best known for being in the Guardians of the Galaxy. They're basing his new origin story on the Guardians movie....which is only about three years old now.
I can see the Marvel editorial think tank now, "So, what will be the big results of Secret Wars? We don't want to shake things up too much." "How about....we end the Ultimate Universe, which no one cares about anyway in 2015, and reboot Star Lord?" "Wait....That's it?" "The Starbucks and donuts are here!" "Sounds like a great plan. Meeting over. Good job everyone."

I also picked up Vision #1, because I read good reviews of it. Yeah, the hype is true. This is going to be one of those too good for Marvel books that ends up flying under the radar and gets canned too soon. The author really seems to be going somewhat in the direction of "What If Philip K. Dick wrote a Vision comic book?". The Vision doesn't want to be seen as just a robot anymore, he wants a family. So, he's built himself a wife and two children, and he moved to the suburbs and bought a house and has a job with the government. He sends his kids to public school. There's a brief superhero action scene involving the Grim Reaper, from Avengers rogues gallery, but it's done in a most absurdist manner, and ends with an unexpected twist. It's not a superhero book. It's funny at times, it's witty, it's somewhat moving.  I'm surprised how much I enjoyed this book. It's written by Tom King, who I'm not familiar.
-Oscar Wilde

#48 Lou K

Lou K

POWAH!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,774 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 08:06 PM

That Vision book sounds sweet!
In the age of the internet someone's sensibility is ALWAYS being tested.

~ James

Posted Image

#49 JasonT

JasonT

Stressing over cat urine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,107 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 07:44 AM

It is. Great art, intelligent story. Christian, thanks for the tip-off.

#50 dogpoet

dogpoet

From Hell's heart I strike at thee...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,698 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 12:41 PM

I can't see why Starlord even needs rebooting given that they've spent the best part of a decade ignoring his origin story and forgetting that he was originally written as a total shit rather than a space going stand in for Rick Jones anyway.

#51 GottaGetAGrip

GottaGetAGrip

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 06:59 PM

I suppose Marvel wants to keep pushing their cross-media synergy, where more and more stuff matches up with the movies because I suppose they think this will make their comics more appealing to the movie audience even though I doubt that the movies attract that many new readers.

These days you wake up and it turns out everybody that marvel has the movie rights to was really an inhuman instead of a mutant the whole time, or wow, here's an upcoming Spider-Man comic set in high school right about the same time Marvel has planned a new reboot of Spider-Man for the movies set in high school...

#52 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,345 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 10:11 PM

Weirdworld #1-This is still good, even without Aaron writing it. The new author is picking up where Aaron left off with the mini-series. It has the same artist (whose art I really enjoy) also, so that helps keep the consistency. The plot is about a 20-year old woman who is involved in a plane crash, and then finds herself waking up in Weirdworld. If you enjoyed the mini-series that much, I'd recommend a return visit. You might also feel that four issues was just about good for the plot, and there's no reason to keep reading. I don't feel this book is a "must buy", but it is a pleasurable, fun read set in an oft-kilter fantasy world.

Let me also mention that Squirrel Girl is still a great read from Marvel! A lot of people are probably passing on this book due to it being about someone called "Squirrel Girl", and the art is sub-par. Trust me though, you're missing a hilarious comic book. One of Marvel's best. I get the idea that this book encapsulates exactly what DC wishes it could accomplish with its recent reboot, but has failed to produce any new books of consistent quality. Give it one issue if you're skeptical, and see if you don't fall in love. It's right up there with the new Howard the Duck as a truly fun comic book series, although Squirrel Girl is actually more clever. Right now, the book is in the middle of a longer story-arc though, about Squirrel Girl spontaneously time traveling to the 1960s, and Squirrel Girl's best friend needing to recruit Dr. Doom to help rescue her. Only this is a time traveling Dr. Doom.

Oh yeah, James Robinson's Squadron Supreme debuted this week as well. I almost forgot about it, which shows how special is this book. There's a hugely surprising moment at the beginning of the book, involving a major character's death. There's no way this big an event can stand, especially happening so randomly in this issue, without any prelude. Unless FOX owns the right to that character or something, then Marvel might just want to be rid of him.
Anyway, otherwise, this book is not a fun comic book. It's not a bad read, but I'm not all that interested. The hints are that the Squadron Supreme are probably going to move in the direction of taking over this Earth (ala Gruenwald's series). Each member is a survivor of an alternate Earth which was destroyed by Secret Wars, and now the characters will do whatever it takes to make sure their adopted homeworld won't meet such a fate.
I might check out the second issue, but this issue didn't do much for me. It seems to be almost an anachronism, with it's ultra-serious treatment of the superhero genre, and the mixing of real world with the fantasy realm of superhero books. It seems that's a trend that most superhero books have decided to move away from now, much for the better of the genre in my opinion. There's only so many "THIS is what would happen if superheroes were REAL!" stories that the genre can stand. There was a need for more fun and difference again, which I'd say has very much happened now.
-Oscar Wilde

#53 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,345 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 06:55 PM

Vision #3-This book just got really weird and really creepy. This is one messed up book, and I am loving it. I'd say this is the one Marvel title everyone on this site should be reading. I did miss the dichotomy of this robot family trying to live a normal life for the current issue, and hope that King doesn't forget that important element of the book, for the sake of telling ever stranger ideas, but this issue was impressive.

Ultimates is another Marvel book I'm really enjoying. On the other hand, it is dismaying that Secret Wars seems to have accomplished absolutely nothing in the Marvel Universe. We've been dealing with the "time is broken" story since the original "Age of Ultron", when Hickman was first starting on Avengers. It was supposed to be a big aspect of why "Time Runs Out" for the Marvel Universe, back at the beginning of Secret Wars. I thought all of that was meant to be resolved now by the events of Secret Wars. Now, we see that "time is still broken". Sigh. At least it gives Ewing an excuse to tell a story filled with crazy ideas.
-Oscar Wilde

#54 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,345 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 07:48 PM

Another Marvel books I've been enjoying is Scarlet Witch, written by James Robinson, of which issue #2 was released this week. This is another book that is doing John Constantine better than DC, I must say. Another thing I liked about the series is that Scarlet Witch was portrayed by the artist as more plump than the typical superhero female, looking more like a natural female. It's about time that Marvel decided to portray one of their female characters looking more like a typical woman. Although, the second issue had different artwork, which is the beautiful art of Marco Rudy so I won't complain, which drew her looking like her old look.
The series is about Scarlet Witch's history with witchcraft, not a superhero title. Weird supernatural events are occurring in the world, and there's something wrong with the state of magic in the Marvel Universe. Scarlet Witch is investigating events. In this second issue, she meets Hekate, who has been given a very Neil Gaimanesque make-over, and discovers that a Minotaur has been killing innocents on the island of Crete.
-Oscar Wilde

#55 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,345 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 05:05 AM

Silver Surfer is back, and it's just as fun and imaginative as ever. Exact same creative team. How Slott can hold on to this book, and make it a must-read title month-to-month, while at the same time ruining Spider Man and refusing to leave, is just one of the great mysteries of the cosmos.
OK, one quibble. Marvel really needs a quota on giving hints that it's the "end of the world". Secret Wars just done ending everything, and it amounted to shite. Marvel needs to learn from the "boy who cried wolf".
I do hope that the book doesn't stay on Earth, as this books need a much wider scope. So far, it has managed to remain mind-expanding even while contained.
Anyway, issue #1 is the type of stories that I love reading in comics from the '60s and '70s. These wild cosmic concepts that are wrapped up in just one issue, and you know you're getting more if the same the next month.
-Oscar Wilde

#56 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,345 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 08:18 PM

Power Man and Iron Fist #1-This new series is being written by Dave Walker (who I think posts at this Forum, right?). I'm not a fan of the art, but otherwise, this series looks to be a lot of fun.

Standoff #1-The prelude to Marvel's next big event cross-over. I care nothing for Civil War II, and won't be reading that nonsense. However, this Standoff book is pretty good. It's written by Nick Spencer, and he's a good writer, so he manages to make the book entertaining. It reminded me quite a bit of something Marvel would have published in a two-parter in Avengers back in the 1980s. Nothing wrong with that, at all, in my book. It also has a purposeful feel of a Twilight Zone episode, with "Bixby" even getting a homage in the story, to remind people of the classic "It's a Good Life" episode of TZ. Shades of Gruenwald's Squadron Supreme as well.
There was a surprise ending that I did not see coming.
I'm interesting in the Standoff books, but am not looking forward to how this leads in to Civil War II. Standoff is supposed to be a stand-alone story that just lays the groundwork for Bendis to take over in the Spring.
-Oscar Wilde

#57 Dave

Dave

Con Artist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 06:52 PM

View PostChristian, on 18 February 2016 - 08:18 PM, said:

Power Man and Iron Fist #1-This new series is being written by Dave Walker (who I think posts at this Forum, right?). I'm not a fan of the art, but otherwise, this series looks to be a lot of fun.

:hattip:
I'm in no condition to drive...wait! I shouldn't listen to myself, I'm drunk.

#58 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,345 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 02:43 AM

Captain America #7-Well, that was a huge waste of money. I get that this is the 75th anniversary issue of the original Captain America, but did they really need to set up an entire issue to remind us of how inconsequential the new Captain America is? Sam Wilson was in about four pages of the issue and added nothing to the story. It was bad enough that the entire story was stuck telling part of a cross-over. It's a shame, and I don't know if Marvel is going to let Spencer tell stories starring the new Captain America anymore, or if Sam Wilson is just going to be the "other Cap" from now on.
This is what I worried about when this series started. It seemed like Sam Wilson was set up to seem like a secondary version of Captain America, filling a role until Steve Rogers would eventually come back.
This series was good for the first six issues, indeed, but I don't see the book lasting if the character really is treated as the Falcon in a different costume.
Bad story-telling.
-Oscar Wilde

#59 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,345 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 06:48 PM

Black Panther #1-I didn't really understand what was going on in the issue, to be honest. Are we meant to sympathize with Black Panther in this story? If so, is this going to end up being too close to McGregor's "Panther's Rage" story-arc? I would really like to see a progressive and democratic movement challenge a monarchy in one of these Marvel books where a king is the protagonist. Everytime that Black Panther or Namor has been challenged with a revolt, it's always been led by some villain that the story makes clear is planning to create a worse dictatorship than the monarchy. It would be a much more thought-provoking and morally challenging work to see a popular movement rebelling against the monarchy, with the king being a superhero and the protagonist of the title.
Maybe we will see that in this version of Black Panther, but as I said, I didn't totally understand the plot. Everything seemed very vague and ill-defined.
-Oscar Wilde

#60 GottaGetAGrip

GottaGetAGrip

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 09:14 PM

So yet another big new book that hasn't lived up to the media hype?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users