• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 BobafrigginFeet

BobafrigginFeet

Street Magician

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 08:50 PM

Like Hellblazer, it would be cool if there were real world issues the show could tackle. Like politics, racism, drugs etc.

They should make an episode about discrimination of transvestites, or about the deep web with its human trafficking business and child snuff videos.

But, this is absurd. The show is on NBC and they couldn't even let John be a bisexual. Whatever.

AN: If Constantine and Lucifer were in a drag down take out no-holds-barred fight, who wins?
MC: Lucifer wins, then as he's walking away he realizes his wallet's gone.

#2 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,412 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 09:43 PM

I sort of worry about how cringe-worthy the show tackling real-world issues would be. The writing wasn't exactly deep like the early Hellblazer comic books. It would probably be far less than subtle.

I could see the show tackling a subject like human sex trafficking, which isn't something that's apt to alienate any portion of the TV show audience. Other areas would probably be too sensitive, and there'd be worry about the risk of alienating some of the core watchers. TV demographics aren't the same as comic books, and even with the comics, Hellblazer grew less and less confrontational on socio-political issues, until we eventually ended up with the Constantine comic, which had that same apolitical stance to avoid alienating any of the customers.

Had there been well written scripts, I would have enjoyed some more substance to the TV show as well.
"I wish it were fin du globe," said Dorian with a sigh.
"Life is such a great disappointment."
-Oscar Wilde

#3 seventhcircle

seventhcircle

living circlejerk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 11:30 PM

lets say they have a thematic episode, or story arc (like a two parter or something). they should hire an author for such an episode whom is known for the sensitivity and knowledge on the topic (and a co author of the show to have john being shown in continuity, if they feel that would be necassery). they should not e.g. have the person who was responsible for the gipsy magic line of episode 2 write something on transgender (dear god that would be more than cringeworthy).

generally speaking i could imagine a story pitch about an ex-boyfriend of johns meeting him at a drag-show, or a current male flame going together to a drag show. you could bring bible stuff into that (some demon or conservative angel(why angels are arses...) make a statement (in dialogue or even better as part of the plot) and the whole night club thing would make an excellent atmosphere and setting that is yet untouched.

i am aware that a drag queen and intersexuality are not the same thing (or i think that they aren't, but they are in a way related and it was what came into my mind). if something of this post is offending someone, please do note and tell me why, i am aware that i may come around ignorant sometimes, it often just comes from lack of knowledge.

Of cause you keep going on. We.. we all keep going on. If we stop laughing, than they have won.
[Alfonse. french-german Comedian, 17.11.15]

#4 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,412 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 11:50 PM

Transvestitism does not equate to an individual's sexuality, no. It can apply to heterosexuality with fetish-type, it can apply to homosexuality (although this is actually more rare), or it can apply to transsexuality.
Don't worry, I don't see anything offensive in your comment.
"I wish it were fin du globe," said Dorian with a sigh.
"Life is such a great disappointment."
-Oscar Wilde

#5 slinker

slinker

Dr. Orpheus!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,444 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 07:30 AM

i know 3 transexuals and they are all straight. So, yeah, it's more of a fetish than a sexuality thing, or so it seems. I don't mean to demean them, they are 3 of the coolest guys I know, but when asked why they do it, they do it because they enjoy it, is the answer I got.
When you are a step ahead of everybody else, they call you a genius. When you are two steps ahead, they say you're crazy.

"If you can't say 'Fuck,' you can't say, 'Fuck the government.'" - Lenny Bruce

#6 seventhcircle

seventhcircle

living circlejerk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 09:18 PM

i have a friend who does the full program, drag queen show with standup and singing and so on (i know him because i lived together in a dorm with him in 5th grade) they guy (and on some days lady) has all the talent in the world you would need for that, he is very very funny and always knew how to play the sketch comedy and could sing (one class at my school had a heavy focus on music education). also the guy is as gay as they come, a walking clichè.

in my experience the people who outed themselves are usually pretty chill to be around, i suppose it is because they now who they are and are more confident, maybe i just had luck, but i befriended all the gays i met :biggrin:.

we have a crime series (few episodes per year, for 90 minutes playtime each) over here. actually there is one every weekend, but with different teams from different cities (a bit like it is with ncis n'awlins and the other ncis) and each of those teams gets only a few episodes. i think two years ago, there was an episode about a murder (it is almost always murder :smile: ), in the end the murderer was an intersexual girl, who was playing tennis and ready to go professional. she was found out, blackmailed and killed the blackmailer. that was a really rough abstract of the show. it was written brilliantly and with a lot of sensitivity. the best moment was when the conservative (the team compositis of a really priviliged conservative forensic and a working class cop) one was saying the words to someone: "The Sex is all between the ears and nowhere else" (paraphrased from memory). That sentence is what stuck with most people i talked about it with. It is in the essence what boils down the whole gender debate to the core and was even more powerful because of who said it. There must be someone who speaks english and can write a story like that involving something something supernatural. Pull them in with the mystic action, leave them with something to think and talk about.

Of cause you keep going on. We.. we all keep going on. If we stop laughing, than they have won.
[Alfonse. french-german Comedian, 17.11.15]

#7 lady_constantine

lady_constantine

Hogwarts Graduate

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 03:40 AM

well,i'm an open closet girl,i swing both ways and go by an ask and i will answer policy (it's really not your business unless i am fucking you...which constantine seems to abide by,yay) .

as for political topics,they have to be subtle and not inyour face or else people will roll eyes.there can be mentions of racism,say john might've shagged some black girl and the next day the police is raided by the police for no damn reason at all .john looks into it finds out about some neo-nazi satanistic cult behind it.

or he may go see a psychic on the regular who happens to be transgendered (a trans madame xanadu would be awesome...bonus points for john being in a past relationshop with her.him).Or john himself being a victim of hatecrimes because of his sexuality (say if piss drunk john comes onto a guy who beats the shit out of him,or punches him int the face,,,this can be a regular thing for him)going to see Genma who's in highschool and teenage problems...like say a school dance where kids are given a drug that will set them up for a massive ritual to steal their souls,perverted teacher (who john beats up in a praking lot for coming onto his neice)things like that.the writers have little grasp of the whole hellbalzer experience.
Wanna know what ol' Conjob gets up to nowadays? Read 'The Laughing Magician's Journal http://a-laughing-magicians-journal.blogspot.com/'.Also,check out his latest adventures at 'Elseworlds Legends http://elseworlds-legends.blogspot.com/ http://so-tru-review.blogspot.com/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users