53 replies to this topic

#21 slinker

slinker

Dr. Orpheus!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,444 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:56 PM

I remember when jef first posted the mp3, someone, I think it was Jamie Delano himself, asked if extra lyrics had been added, and we looked at the lyrics in the HB Annual #1 and sure enough, he was singing a phantom extra line not present in the "video." But anytime we talk about the song, because I needle hima ll the time to redo it. I love it, it's a kickass version held back only by the fact he recorded it in one take. Basically, the version on the video is his working guide template that he records and then lays tracks over. I don't know or understand his process, but anyway, we couldn't figure out where the hell that lyric came from. It's at the part where it starts off "New uniforms at the church bizarre...fanatics got the rising star..." but in the HB Annual, it goes "past the billboard bride troops the national pride, it's all supplied by the Venus of the Hard sell..." In his recording,  after that first phrase, jef sings, "Thin dark streets ring with marching men's feet...past the billboard bride..." etc.

But thanks to some diligent detective work on my part--because the lyric he added is poetic and cool and he swears he didn't write it but can't remember where it came from. I aksed him what he used when he recorded, just the comic. No, he used a txt file. He opened it, and there's that phantom lyric again. But he typed it, right? Yes, he did, but not from the HB Annual #1 as he thought. I refer the reader to the first traded printing of Original Sins, in which a fictitious writer is trying to track john down for an interview, but is unsuccessful to the point that he has begun hating john by the end. John sends an apology note with a broken 45rpm single of "Venus of the Hard Sell" with the lyrics printed on the outer sleeve. Voila. Mystery solved.

Posted Image

It probably didn't even register with anyone else, but ever since Rogan posted that response by Delano about extra lyrics, it has bothered me and I bothered Jefro about it because, Like I said, I want him to rerecord it. Some people in Brazil fucking love it--most of the YouTube plays, over half of them, are from Brazil.

Finally, I got an email a few hours after we discovered where the phantom lyric came from--he HAD rerecorded the entire song, bass drums guitars, everything except the vocals. He says he likes how rough and loose they sound and he promises he did remix them so they sound clearer. but the power supply on his workstation computer failed this morning while mixing it. he doesn't even know if the crash damaged the file or anything, but his PC won't stay booted up. It runs for 5 or so minutes, and then pops loudly and dies. Sounds like shit to me.

But the darling boy sent me an email last night that I didn't check, which had an attachment attached to it. And for another lyrical miscue, in the first version, he left out the last line "free her and live". It's included in this version. Unfortunately, he put the crowd noise back in, and if his PC is crashed beyond repair, this might be the only good version of the song now. It's ALOT better, but still rough and still with the stupid crowd.

So, Venus of the Hard Sell for 2012.
When you are a step ahead of everybody else, they call you a genius. When you are two steps ahead, they say you're crazy.

"If you can't say 'Fuck,' you can't say, 'Fuck the government.'" - Lenny Bruce

#22 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,379 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:12 AM

The page you included is on the inside back-cover of the first issue of Hellblazer, for reference's sake.
"I wish it were fin du globe," said Dorian with a sigh.
"Life is such a great disappointment."
-Oscar Wilde

#23 slinker

slinker

Dr. Orpheus!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,444 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:29 AM

Thank you. That's a tad ironic for me, I believe.
When you are a step ahead of everybody else, they call you a genius. When you are two steps ahead, they say you're crazy.

#24 slinker

slinker

Dr. Orpheus!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,444 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:23 AM

MM media kit available for download.

MUCOUS MEMBRANE media kit

fixed the bad link

Edited by slinker, 13 November 2012 - 09:49 PM.

#25 slinker

slinker

Dr. Orpheus!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,444 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:29 PM

Look what we found on Tumblr.

Why Do People from the Past Keep Stealing My Ideas?

Now I'm pretty sure they are moving Constantine to the DCU to distance themselves from Spiderlegs/Venus of the Hard Sell.

#26 slinker

slinker

Dr. Orpheus!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,444 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 10:54 AM

someone else has begun a cover of venus/hardsell and saw fit to post the first 11 seconds of it.

#27 Red

Red

All your capital are belong to us

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,239 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:42 AM

I'm gonna fucking write this song.
Capital is dead labor, which, vampire-like, lives only by sucking living labor, and lives the more, the more labor it sucks.

#28 slinker

slinker

Dr. Orpheus!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,444 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:36 AM

you should!

#29 Red

Red

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,239 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:20 AM

I have a couple of ideas. I'm going to model it after early Police. Sort of like this:

Capital is dead labor, which, vampire-like, lives only by sucking living labor, and lives the more, the more labor it sucks.

#30 slinker

slinker

Dr. Orpheus!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,444 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 01:49 PM

i think that would be totally cool. i think all you guys should put your versions on a cd and put that shit out there. jef said his original idea was to get other forumites of thus board, the musical members, to collaborate on a version of VotHS. he mentioned tom, lou, red, mark, and he was sure there were other musical board members. he recorded the first version in 2006 before i met him, then after i posted that first version and it sounded a bit flat, that's when he did the version that's on youtube. but he told me it would be the coolest thing in the world to do a collaborative Hellblazer forum version of that song because each musicians devotion to the book would come out through the song. maybe you can bring some of these other forumites into your effort.

#31 Lou K

Lou K

POWAH!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,797 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:44 PM

The 12 Labors of Red

Make the Meat Waffle
Write Venus of the Hard Sell
Labors 3 through 12 TBD
In the age of the internet someone's sensibility is ALWAYS being tested.

~ James

Posted Image

#32 Red

Red

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,239 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:20 AM

Haha!

#33 slinker

slinker

Dr. Orpheus!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,444 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 11:30 AM

venus surpassed 10,000 views recently

#34 Rogan

Rogan

Queer Eye For The Cam Whore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,483 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 12:30 PM

Cool! Y'guys think we'll get to hear MM in the TV show, or will they just show John backstage getting pissed while Green Day plays in the background?
Rule #1 to posting on this forum - don't take anything Rogan says personally, or seriously for that matter!
- John McMahon, Forum High Priest and "The Green Mountain Boy"

Anyway, this is a wonderful series, and I'm eternally in Rogan's debt for bringing it to my attention.
- Mike Carey, on La Bete Noire

"Yes I admit it I did occasionally think you came close to being humorous a few times."
- Electricinca, in conversation with Rogan.

#35 slinker

slinker

Dr. Orpheus!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,444 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 08:45 PM

the first part would be cool. but our friend the spider has gotten nary a phone call (email, tweet, etc), as he would say.

#36 Rogan

Rogan

Queer Eye For The Cam Whore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,483 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 08:53 PM

Well, I'm assuming they'd simply make their own version [or create a YouTube contest or something]. Which might be for the best, it wouldn't gel tonally with the show, and I doubt they're that keen on seeking legitimization from the "core" 100-1000 person fandom that hang around these boards, the wiki and other places.
Rule #1 to posting on this forum - don't take anything Rogan says personally, or seriously for that matter!
- John McMahon, Forum High Priest and "The Green Mountain Boy"

Anyway, this is a wonderful series, and I'm eternally in Rogan's debt for bringing it to my attention.
- Mike Carey, on La Bete Noire

"Yes I admit it I did occasionally think you came close to being humorous a few times."
- Electricinca, in conversation with Rogan.

#37 slinker

slinker

Dr. Orpheus!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,444 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 09:09 PM

well, then that's unfortunate!

#38 slinker

slinker

Dr. Orpheus!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,444 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 12:57 AM

There is now part of a second version of venus of the Hard Sell

http://instagram.com...QQXaJt2q/embed/

#39 slinker

slinker

Dr. Orpheus!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,444 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 01:51 AM

Don't know what to think of this.

#40 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,268 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 10:38 AM

Sure, why not, it's a yes from me.
featherweight champion, cheap to get pissed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users