#21 A. Heathen

A. Heathen

The wisdom of Dick (Solomon)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,319 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 12:02 AM

Been doing some re-reading.
And notably, JC did not just put his Demonic side, or even the Demon-blood into the golem type thing when he split off to fool Buer and FOTF. He put all his badness and Crowley. Then the badness is what he got back from Ellie by shagging her (which is not an easy thing to do with a succubus) something added to by the fact that the spell he used to protect her from FOTF back in the day had some of the old demon blood intermingled.
The Demon refused to help ... and they keep turning up to ask each other to come back and the other one always says no !

As for FOTF at the end of that arc, and the current relationship with John.
Well, John signed a contract.

So when FOTF turned up recently, he probably thought it was another of JC's tricks. And he can wait a long time, whereas John's only got a lifetime.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
"But that's the whole point, it's supernatural, these things happen.
It's not supposed to be realistic in that sense."

#22 Shawn

Shawn

conjurer of cheap tricks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 01:53 AM

Is Jenkin's run worth checking out? What issues comprise "critical mass?"
We have more possibilities available in each moment than we realize. - Thich Nhat Hanh

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity - Edgar Allan Poe

https://twitter.com/shawn1163

#23 hildegard h.

hildegard h.

Eglantine Price's Bedknob

• Members
  • 970 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 03:53 AM

to the best of my knowledge, Critical Mass includes issues 92-96. Whether Jenkin's run is worth chekcing out, that's open for discussion, but I like it. It convinced me to keep buying the series.

#24 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,379 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 05:42 AM

Aren't ALL J.C. stories worth buying?!
Hilde kindly gave you the stories comprising "Critical Mass", which was without a doubt Jenkins' best, and should be collected into TPB.
#97 was a solo-issue, but is considered the Epilogue to "Critical Mass", so you might include that issue also. It was amongst my favourite H.B. issues ever.

Jenkins' run.....
The positive:
I liked the way he wrote John Constantine. Middle-aged, sober (not when it comes to booze though! icon_lol.gif )....
The stories that I liked by Jenkins, I REALLY liked!
The only lasting impact from his run on the book right now seems to be the introduction of the Demon Constantine though....
The writing was good.

The negative:
I HATED his supporting cast, except for Dani, who I felt was just a plot device.
I didn't like how much mythology he put into the book. It started to look like a "poor man's Sandman" after a bit to me.
The issues that I didn't enjoy so much, the stories were just boring to me (which sadly made up about 50% of his run).
The First started to look like a joke in the middle of his run. Only in "How to Play with Fire" did the First start to look like a threat again after the ending to "Critical Mass".
"I wish it were fin du globe," said Dorian with a sigh.
"Life is such a great disappointment."
-Oscar Wilde

#25 Mark

Mark

"I know it's not as good as it used to be..."

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,759 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 09:25 AM

Looking forward to reading the Jenkins era stuff...it's the only major gap in my HB knowledge now. I haven't even read #120...this must be rectified.
"As we journey through life, discarding baggage along the way, we should keep an iron grip, to the very end, on the capacity for silliness. It preserves the soul from dessication."
- Humphrey Lyttleton, 1921-2008

"The Doctor remembers every Doctor Who story ever told. Every episode, Target book, comic strip and every game of companions and TARDISes that you played as a kid. The universe he lives in has no record of it, because paradoxes and divergent dimensions and the Time War have reset things... but the Doctor remembers and sometimes when he is sad it's because you've stopped being 8 years old and he can't run around the school playground with you anymore."
- some wise soul on the internet somewhere, 2009

#26 Lou K

Lou K

POWAH!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,797 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 12:53 PM

Critical Mass is must have stuff.
In the age of the internet someone's sensibility is ALWAYS being tested.

~ James

Posted Image

#27 Charlie K

Charlie K

36 Styles of Danger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,643 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 02:47 PM

Yeah, see, the Jenkins stuff just left me bored all the time. I just couldn't get into it.
One half of the Battlin' K Brothers!
Local Color
Founder, Friends of Chelsea
Friend and supporter of More Women In Cat Flaps Society!!

#28 Lou K

Lou K

POWAH!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,797 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 02:54 PM

Yeah, it really bored me too. Critical Mass is one of the best stories ever, tho.

~ James

Posted Image

#29 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,268 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 03:15 PM

QUOTE (Charlie K @ Oct 6 2004, 02:47 PM)
Yeah, see, the Jenkins stuff just left me bored all the time. I just couldn't get into it.

Not an uncommon criticism and one that I can certainly appreciate, especially given that his run followed in the wake of Garth's balls to the wall antics.

Personally, I'm really quite fond of the guts of Paul's run, in particular I'd recommend -

Critical Mass (#92-#96) : The Newcastle Incident comes full circle as the fallout from Rake At The Gates Of Hell lands John in an all too familiar situation.  Brilliant stuff from start to finish and a perfect cap to the defining moment in Constantine's life.

Last Man Standing (#110-#114) : In particular, the final confronation between John and Merlin, especially Constantine's apparent callousness in the face of Merlin threatening to perfom an on-the-spot abortion with a scalpel.  I was still catching up with Hellblazer at that point and I was really taken aback by John's reaction.

Desperately Seeking Something(#120) : What if John Constantine was just a bloke down the pub talking shite ?  

Getting back to the Demon Blood for a second, if there's no specific reference to it in Critical Mass then I stand by my assertion that it was 'taken care of' at the end of Dangerous Habits.
featherweight champion, cheap to get pissed

#30 James

James

Chinese bakery

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,706 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 05:03 PM

There is a specific mention - The Phantom Stranger tells John that the blood is the key to slipping out of his damnation, and there's even a really cool Watchmen-like picture of John's complete circulatory system stood by itself.

Besides, how else did he knock off The King of the Vampires?

#31 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,268 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 05:49 PM

Dammit!  

Good point Mister Wilkinson.

#32 Shawn

Shawn

conjurer of cheap tricks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 09:55 PM

Thanks to all for answering my questions. This is proof once again that these boards are the best boards.

I have liked Jenkins's work for a while but never checked out his Hellblazer issues.
We have more possibilities available in each moment than we realize. - Thich Nhat Hanh

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity - Edgar Allan Poe

https://twitter.com/shawn1163

#33 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,379 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 07:43 AM

Yeah, let me mention with my critique that I am a big Paul Jenkins fan. I can't think of anything of his that I really disliked off the top of my head. I haven't read any of his indie work though (besides his TMNT work, which I didn't even know was his....). So, my critique is from a Jenkins' fan.
-Oscar Wilde

#34 Charlie K

Charlie K

36 Styles of Danger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,643 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 02:13 PM

As an interesting aside, I had never read anything else Jenkins had written but recently picked up some issues of Peter Parker, Spider-Man that he did that friggin' blew me away! So I was quite surprised by that. Didn't he also write The Inhumans when they relaunched that? I liked that, too.
One half of the Battlin' K Brothers!
Local Color
Founder, Friends of Chelsea
Friend and supporter of More Women In Cat Flaps Society!!

#35 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,268 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 02:57 PM

Yeah, his twelve issue stint on The Inhumans with Jae Lee is really quite excellent.

As an aside, anyone who enjoyed Jenkins on Hellblazer could do worse than keeping an eye out for his all-too-brief run on Werewolf By Night with Leonardo Manco for Marvel.

#36 sethos

sethos

Savior of hedgehogs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,667 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 04:39 PM

QUOTE (JohnMcMahon @ Oct 7 2004, 04:57 PM)
Yeah, his twelve issue stint on The Inhumans with Jae Lee is really quite excellent.

As an aside, anyone who enjoyed Jenkins on Hellblazer could do worse than keeping an eye out for his all-too-brief run on Werewolf By Night with Leonardo Manco for Marvel.

I have those somewhere: the story is decent but nothing special, but Maco's art is all good.

speaking of ex-Hellblazer writers writing other stuff, I always loved Acclaim's short-lived  Shadow-Man comic series. the first four or five issues were by Garth Ennis and as such focused on mostly revolting jokes and violence (but with excellent Ashley Wood art), but after that Jamie Delano had a ten or so issue run which was absolutely brilliant (with art by Charles Adlard). I recommend those.
Pigfaced wizards must die.

#37 Lou K

Lou K

POWAH!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,797 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 05:55 PM

Hell yes, I loved the Shadowman series. Delano took everything Garth had built up and turned it on it's head. Great job on that and great game, too.

~ James

Posted Image

#38 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,379 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 11:37 PM

I actually didn't think "Werewolf by Night" was anything special. I liked DeMatteis' "Man Thing" better of the two. The art and mood were good though.

Jenkins' run on "Spider Man" was amazing!
His twelve-issue Marvel Knights "Inhumans" series was one of the top books ever to come from Marvel. It was the closest (besides "X-Statix") Marvel has ever come to a Vertigo book in many ways.

So, Delano's work on "Shadowman" was good? I'm going to have to hunt that down now.....
-Oscar Wilde

#39 Rogan

Rogan

Queer Eye For The Cam Whore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,483 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 08:27 AM

Sign me in on the Inhumans love train... this was really a good maxi series... i read it in a trade, and even though i had NO prior knowledge about the characters, it took me one issue to get into the mood, and to love the concept, and Jenkins's internal monologues...
Rule #1 to posting on this forum - don't take anything Rogan says personally, or seriously for that matter!
- John McMahon, Forum High Priest and "The Green Mountain Boy"

Anyway, this is a wonderful series, and I'm eternally in Rogan's debt for bringing it to my attention.
- Mike Carey, on La Bete Noire

"Yes I admit it I did occasionally think you came close to being humorous a few times."
- Electricinca, in conversation with Rogan.

#40 A. Heathen

A. Heathen

The wisdom of Dick (Solomon)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,319 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 09:25 AM

In rereading some Jenkins Hellblazer - which I enjoyed at the time, but have no fondness for the supporting cast - I noticed there's a lot more recapping in each issue. I wonder if the contemporary vogue for trade paperback collections *has* had an effect on the story-telling despite what they all say.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
"But that's the whole point, it's supernatural, these things happen.
It's not supposed to be realistic in that sense."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users