233 replies to this topic

#221 Lou K

Lou K

POWAH!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,816 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 05:27 PM

interesting...trades are heap enough. But the Ultimate Universe and the Marvel Universe are one and the same now, right?
In the age of the internet someone's sensibility is ALWAYS being tested.

~ James

Posted Image

#222 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,413 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 05:34 PM

Yeah, but this isn't the old Ultimates characters (the Ultimate Universe version of the Avengers). Marvel is just re-using the name. The series is set in the Marvel Universe.
It features Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers), Black Panther, and Spectrum (who was the African-American Captain Marvel during the 1980s, created by Roger Stern) as main characters. Galactus is also a recurring character.
"I wish it were fin du globe," said Dorian with a sigh.
"Life is such a great disappointment."
-Oscar Wilde

#223 Lou K

Lou K

POWAH!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,816 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 06:27 PM

Hm both trades are less that $12 each so I might bite.

~ James

Posted Image

#224 GottaGetAGrip

GottaGetAGrip

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 04:32 PM

https://www.newsaram...d-counting.html

Marvel's announced Legacy line-up (yet another regularly scheduled relaunch) so far appears to be mostly the same books they're publishing right now, with a few new ones.

No mention of the creative teams.

#225 dogpoet

dogpoet

From Hell's heart I strike at thee...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,791 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 05:04 PM

View PostGottaGetAGrip, on 24 June 2017 - 04:32 PM, said:

https://www.newsaram...d-counting.html

Marvel's announced Legacy line-up (yet another regularly scheduled relaunch) so far appears to be mostly the same books they're publishing right now, with a few new ones.

No mention of the creative teams.
If they're not naming names, what's the point of announcing anything?

#226 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,413 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 06:06 PM

I'm guessing most of the creative teams are probably going to be staying the same, as most of the titles are ones currently being published, with some of them (like the X-line) just being launched. I can't see Marvel changing creative teams on books like that this soon.
Can Marvel make it any more apparent that they're trying to copy DC? "Back-to-basics", 52 titles total....
Yeah, there's only a few new titles being launched....Marvel Two-in-One, Spirits of Vengeance seem to be the only new books.

Ugh....There's a rumour that the only actual reveal out of this entire "reveal", Marvel Two-in-One, is going to be a Brian Bendis book. That's all Marvel needs, for Bendis to write more of their titles.

And....Marvel's best book, The Ultimates, seems to be gone.

Also, if you look at the homage Legacy covers for this launch, you'll notice that the Inhumans (Royals) and Black Bolt covers both homage a classic Claremont/Byrne Uncanny X-Men cover. Subliminal message, eh?

The tone on the internet seems to be that Marvel has decided to "troll" all its fans with its entire line of comics, at this point. Perhaps Marvel grew so pissed off at the fans ruining their huge Secret Empire event by complaining about how offensive their every decision for the plot was, that Marvel decided to get revenge by making Marvel: Legacy one of the biggest let-downs in comic history.
-Oscar Wilde

#227 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,413 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 05:30 PM

Marvel Comics is in a really bad way, right now, I'd assume. They released the first issue of Astonishing X-Men this week, and the owner of the comic store I go to told me I was the first person to buy a copy all day. There was a time when any X-Men book would sell bigly. Now, the store didn't even sell one copy? That's huy-ghe! I guess Marvel working so hard for all those years to convince fans that the X-Men sucked and that the Inhumans were way better worked. Now, Marvel wants you to read X-Men comics again, well, guess what? The fans listened to Marvel and realized that the X-Men suck! Unfortunately for them, fans still think that the Inhumans suck too.
I think that Marvel pissed away so much of their good will with Secret Empire also. The fans just turned out in droves from that book.
Astonishing X-Men wasn't bad either. It wasn't anything to go out of your way to read, but it was similar to a 1990s X-Men title, when any X-Men book was going to be a best bet, believe me.
I have my doubts that another soft-boot that is being marketed as a return to legacy numbering is going to be enough to help Marvel at this point.
-Oscar Wilde

#228 Lou K

Lou K

POWAH!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,816 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 06:12 PM

I've sworn off the big 2. Marvel is a mess right now, with all the universes merged.

~ James

Posted Image

#229 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,413 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 07:36 PM

I've given up on all things DC, but I can't bear to throw in the towel on Marvel. The number of Marvel books I buy each month continues to dwindle though. Marvel have been losing all of their top name writers too. After Secret Empire, Nick Spencer and James Robison are both going to be gone. I think that Jason Aaron and Al Ewing will be the only top writers left at Marvel (and each of them are only writing one monthly title now). Cullen Bunn has been improving more and more, so maybe you could count Bunn as a top writer now too.
Once Legacy kicks in, I'll be down even more Marvel books.
-Oscar Wilde

#230 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,413 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:59 PM

Generations prove to be totally pointless. Since it was a small comic book week this week for me, I decided I would pick up the first of Marvel's Generations one-shots, which starred the Hulks. I'm not interested in that character any longer, but it was the first of the Generations issues, so I figured it might have something to do with the up-coming Marvel Legacy or post-Secret Empire Marvel Universe. Nope.
It's a story about the Amaedeus Cho Hulk somehow meeting the Bruce Banner Hulk, and there are a lot of fights which ensue.
All that, and Marvel charges an extra dollar? What a deal!
I won't be reading anymore of the Generations stories, even though a few of them piqued by interest when they were announced....like adult Jean Grey.
Maybe Marvel is trying to do something like DC's Convergence event, to show that the Marvel Multiverse does still exist, and maybe Marvel does plan to bring back some of their classic characters who are dead. Well, whatever.
The story still served absolutely no purpose. Modern-day Hulk finds himself somehow in an alternate universe (or maybe the past?) and meets up with Banner Hulk. There's a couple of big fights, and the story ends. Then, it says that up next is the Marvel Legacy non-relaunch of Incredible Hulk. Which I never had any interest in reading in the first place.
-Oscar Wilde

#231 Lou K

Lou K

POWAH!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,816 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 11:49 PM

Sounds awful

~ James

Posted Image

#232 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,413 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 01:30 AM

Inhumans: Once and Future Kings #1 by Christopher Priest-There were two very good comics out this week, so this book ends up as the second best comic book of the week, when on another week, it probably would have easily ended up as the best book of the week.
Rather than re-telling ground that Jack Kirby already covered with the origin of the Inhumans, this series is an origin story for the Inhumans Royal Family, a story which hasn't been told before.
It seems that there's going to be a lot of focus placed on the Alpha Primitives....you know, the unnerving, but quietly swept under the rug, aspect of Inhumans society, that they have slaves! I think this is a good area of Inhumans history to look at, especially since other writers haven't really touched on it. Either ignoring it completely, or just accepting it as something that makes them "inhuman", rather than a morally wrong aspect of characters who are meant to be protagonists.
It seems like the issue of slavery was only touched on once in a great deal by a prior writer, and that ended up not really going anywhere.
Anyway, it's well written and a return after many years of Priest to Marvel.
-Oscar Wilde

#233 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,413 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 11:22 PM

Well, this marks the end of two of Marvel's best books.....Ultimates #100 ends the Ultimates book. Silver Sufer won't actually end until next month, but the writing is on the wall.

Why is it Ultimates #100? I'm not sure. Do all the Ultimates titles added together equal 100 issues? I somehow doubt that.
So, this issue did actually feature the Mark Millar version of the Ultimates (which is not the characters that were starring in this iteration of The Ultimates).
I liked that Al Ewing made fun of Millar's "The A doesn't stand for France!" goofy line from so long ago now. Like it's the Ultimate Captain America's catch-phrase, which he just uses randomly.
Lou may be happy, as this story seems to introduce the idea that the Marvel Multiverse has returned....probably for Marvel Legacy.
A good issue to go out, for one of Marvel's best books. It will be missed, but at least it had a strong ending. I loved this series.

Meanwhile, this month's Silver Surfer continues an epic run of greatness for that character. This issue, the Silver Surfer goes so far back in time, he crosses over in to the Multiverse that existed before the current Marvel Multiverse, the Universe from which Galactus came, when he was still Galan. It was also a heart-warming tale. I'll miss this book too, although it lasted longer than I ever expected.
-Oscar Wilde

#234 Lou K

Lou K

POWAH!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,816 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 12:37 PM

View PostChristian, on 16 August 2017 - 11:22 PM, said:

Lou may be happy, as this story seems to introduce the idea that the Marvel Multiverse has returned....probably for Marvel Legacy.

Probably not enough to get me back to buying Marvel books

~ James

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users