Constantine S01E05: "Danse Vaudou"

CNT TV

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

Poll: Constantine S01E05: "Danse Vaudou" (13 member(s) have cast votes)

Your marks out of 10 for Constantine S01E05, please...

1. 1 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 2 (0 votes [0.00%])

3. 3 (0 votes [0.00%])

4. 4 (0 votes [0.00%])

5. 5 (3 votes [23.08%])

Percentage of vote: 23.08%

6. 6 (2 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

7. 7 (2 votes [15.38%])

8. 8 (3 votes [23.08%])

Percentage of vote: 23.08%

9. 9 (1 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

10. 10 (2 votes [15.38%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 A. Heathen

A. Heathen

The wisdom of Dick (Solomon)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,307 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 07:12 PM

That's the obvious answer.
[ Spoiler : If they weave it with American Gothic (Brujeria and Invunche in the Mexico episode???) and have Zed ahem, join her family,  betray Constantine and then go back his team, we have a nice ending. ]

Anyone want to know the Easter Egg I spotted (after Twitter prompts from the man who puts them there)
Or would you like to play along.

Here's one that has me puzzled at the moment
https://www.flickr.c...ge/15662898488/

[ Spoiler : A sword and cross clenched by a hand, and four blue gems.
Any ideas?
]
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
"But that's the whole point, it's supernatural, these things happen.
It's not supposed to be realistic in that sense."

#22 Demon Chas08

Demon Chas08

Con Artist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 07:40 PM

I know it isn't the sword of damocles
"Ha ha! Cookies on dowels!"- Phil Ken Sebben circa 2001

For Doctor Who, Torchwood, Bernice Summerfield & Sarah Jane reviews go to: www.doctorwhoreviews.co.uk

For Doctor Who Chronology: http://drwhocontinut...e.blogspot.com/

#23 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,242 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 08:12 PM

Posted Image

Daniel Cerone @DanielVCeroneFollow

We told you John smokes on our show. How can we do Dangerous Habits if he didn't? Trust. Believe. #Constantine

featherweight champion, cheap to get pissed

#24 seventhcircle

seventhcircle

living circlejerk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,287 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 08:39 PM

i think it was a really good episode, still the last one was better, at least as a standalone. the magical wristwatchcrystalthingy was... ugh. too much gadgets, but they needed that to explain, how chas could find that ghost. still meh. i still need time to accept the spectre coming into constantine, not as a cameo (like dr mist) but seemingly as part of the story. i still don't like immortal chas.

apart from that. great great episode. character arcs and overall season arc driven forward. i loved, LOVED how they added depth to the papa and the actor nails all his lines. corrigan, i do not know enough spectre to know if they hit they hit spot on, but the writers certainly made clear he has some unexplored issues (alcohol...), that he is a good guy and i loved the acting of the man. really i mean papa and corrigan have both great chemistry with john (the actors) and watching them doing their job was really nice. chas and zed still fall off a bit imo, but they get better every episode (again i mean the actors). as a standalone the story was a nice little tale, pinning multiple references, did not waste to much time on stuff that has already been done and got meta enough to tell something decent. also worth mentioning: the supporting cast was like miles ahead of that of episode two.

conclusion: second best episode so far. gave it a six (based on what i said, that ep4* will be know treated as a reference 7).

ok here is my theory on the betrayal:
  • i expect the rising darkness arc to being laid out already already when the first episode was filmed
  • there is no evidence to suggest that liv would have had the same backstory as zed -> zeds backstory is not connected to the season 1 arc
  • chas will under no circumstances betray john
  • that leaves manny. i like that guy no bit, mind you.
  • manny has an interest in john, that has yet to be explained
  • he is most likely to play his own game. an angel that betrays john would only fit to a hb based show.
  • the only thing so far manny has done, is to try to get johns trust. ergo he wanted john to be involved in the darkness stuff, because john can add something, that manny needs.

View PostDemon Chas08, on 22 November 2014 - 03:46 AM, said:

EDIT: 3 hours on and its still no.2 in Twitter trending. How's that for breaking the internet?

was that global or 'just' nationwide?

View PostDemon Chas08, on 22 November 2014 - 06:03 PM, said:

Shit, I think I found my new Unbound Doctor cosplay idea. One more colorful jacket and its smooth sailing

if that is you on that profilepic in your twitter, you could very well pull off an excellent hb issue 1 papa cosplay.

View PostJohnMcMahon, on 22 November 2014 - 08:12 PM, said:

Dangerous Habits

ok keep that promise and i am all yours, mr cerone.

*woops meant ep4 not 3.

Edited by seventhcircle, 22 November 2014 - 08:54 PM.

Of cause you keep going on. We.. we all keep going on. If we stop laughing, than they have won.
[Alfonse. french-german Comedian, 17.11.15]

#25 Demon Chas08

Demon Chas08

Con Artist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 08:48 PM

View Postseventhcircle, on 22 November 2014 - 08:39 PM, said:

i think it was a really good episode, still the last one was better, at least as a standalone. the magical wristwatchcrystalthingy was... ugh. too much gadgets, but they needed that to explain, how chas could find that ghost. still meh. i still need time to accept the spectre coming into constantine, not as a cameo (like dr mist) but seemingly as part of the story. i still don't like immortal chas.

apart from that. great great episode. character arcs and overall season arc driven forward. i loved, LOVED how they added depth to the papa and the actor nails all his lines. corrigan, i do not know enough spectre to know if they hit they hit spot on, but the writers certainly made clear he has some unexplored issues (alcohol...), that he is a good guy and i loved the acting of the man. really i mean papa and corrigan have both great chemistry with john (the actors) and watching them doing their job was really nice. chas and zed still fall off a bit imo, but they get better every episode (again i mean the actors). as a standalone the story was a nice little tale, pinning multiple references, did not waste to much time on stuff that has already been done and got meta enough to tell something decent. also worth mentioning: the supporting cast was like miles ahead of that of episode two.

conclusion: second best episode so far. gave it a six (based on what i said, that ep3 will be know treated as a reference 7).

ok here is my theory on the betrayal:
  • i expect the rising darkness arc to being laid out already already when the first episode was filmed
  • there is no evidence to suggest that liv would have had the same backstory as zed -> zeds backstory is not connected to the season 1 arc
  • chas will under no circumstances betray john
  • that leaves manny. i like that guy no bit, mind you.
  • manny has an interest in john, that has yet to be explained
  • he is most likely to play his own game. an angel that betrays john would only fit to a hb based show.
  • the only thing so far manny has done, is to try to get johns trust. ergo he wanted john to be involved in the darkness stuff, because john can add something, that manny needs.

View PostDemon Chas08, on 22 November 2014 - 03:46 AM, said:

EDIT: 3 hours on and its still no.2 in Twitter trending. How's that for breaking the internet?

was that global or 'just' nationwide?

View PostDemon Chas08, on 22 November 2014 - 06:03 PM, said:

Shit, I think I found my new Unbound Doctor cosplay idea. One more colorful jacket and its smooth sailing

if that is you on that profilepic in your twitter, you could very well pull off an excellent hb issue 1 papa cosplay.

View PostJohnMcMahon, on 22 November 2014 - 08:12 PM, said:

Dangerous Habits

ok keep that promise and i am all yours, mr cerone.

National.

Aw, cheers! I'd definitely rock the tophat :hattip:

For Doctor Who, Torchwood, Bernice Summerfield & Sarah Jane reviews go to: www.doctorwhoreviews.co.uk

#26 seventhcircle

seventhcircle

living circlejerk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,287 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 08:56 PM

thats nice. if it would've been global i would have been like: HOLY SHIT

Of cause you keep going on. We.. we all keep going on. If we stop laughing, than they have won.

#27 slinker

slinker

Dr. Orpheus!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,444 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 11:02 PM

I like how they used comic elements and original elements to create the story.

John's dialogue was as spot on as i've heard in an episode so far.  I heard him say "ta", "bugger off"

Haas anyone else noticed they are starting to shoot some scenes as they were originally drawn? Look at poppa midnite with the skull in the show and look at it in original sins.

I had some notes, the lack of undo button on my tablet means they are lost.

I went back to my laptop. I hated everything about trying to post on a forum using a pad. it's got a ways to go. All the browser apps suck ass so going online is a pain. I can do Photoshop on my laptop and couldnt on my pad. I haven't even turned my pad on in almost a week.
When you are a step ahead of everybody else, they call you a genius. When you are two steps ahead, they say you're crazy.

"If you can't say 'Fuck,' you can't say, 'Fuck the government.'" - Lenny Bruce

#28 seventhcircle

seventhcircle

living circlejerk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,287 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 11:24 PM

View Postslinker, on 22 November 2014 - 11:02 PM, said:

Haas anyone else noticed they are starting to shoot some scenes as they were originally drawn?

i think there was a link someone posted (likely ade or chas) where someone compared shots of the last episode (4) with the original comic. so much of the stuff is so nice. if this is just the foreplay, we are in for a heavyweight climax.

#29 Maritimus

Maritimus

Street Magician

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 11:57 PM

Pretty goddamn perfect for me, really enjoyed it. Matt's performance is getting scary good, love the pace of it, the self contained stories, music.. cant be happier with it at this point. Usually i like my fav things to fly under the radar, but i will promote the shit out of it and talk friends into hopping on, because i want it to continue for a good while.

#30 Gwilym

Gwilym

Nick Necro's Boyfriend

• Members
  • 628 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 04:31 AM

I've really enjoyed the TV version of Papa Midnite, and I like how he's more low-rent and fallible than in the books. At first I took this as a reimagining, but it's possible it could also be an origin story. I wonder if we'll get to see him reach the heights we see him at when he first shows up in the comic.
eatingarbyseatingarbyseatingarbys

#31 Vagabond

Vagabond

Elstein Presley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,723 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 06:27 AM

Seymour Skinner as "Jimmy Boy", a streetwise NOLA cop

Posted Image

#32 Red

Red

All your capital are belong to us

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,239 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 08:32 AM

Papa Midnite was good (and damn, he LOOKS good!), so was Matt's JC, but this episode was a step down from Feast of friends for me. A bit too generic in the way the plot resolved. Still, some good bits, especially the interplay between Midnite and John.
Capital is dead labor, which, vampire-like, lives only by sucking living labor, and lives the more, the more labor it sucks.

#33 Demon Chas08

Demon Chas08

Con Artist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 08:34 AM

View PostVagabond, on 23 November 2014 - 06:27 AM, said:

Seymour Skinner as "Jimmy Boy", a streetwise NOLA cop

Posted Image

SKINNERRRRRR!!!!

#34 Mark

Mark

"I know it's not as good as it used to be..."

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,759 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 09:26 AM

View PostRed, on 24 November 2014 - 08:32 AM, said:

Papa Midnite was good (and damn, he LOOKS good!), so was Matt's JC, but this episode was a step down from Feast of friends for me. A bit too generic in the way the plot resolved. Still, some good bits, especially the interplay between Midnite and John.

Agreed, but still a definite step up from the first three - if this is the sort of standard we can expect from a relatively straightforward case-of-the-week story, it's shaping up into a surprisingly decent show. Still not brilliant, but at least on a par with the first season of Supernatural.
"As we journey through life, discarding baggage along the way, we should keep an iron grip, to the very end, on the capacity for silliness. It preserves the soul from dessication."
- Humphrey Lyttleton, 1921-2008

"The Doctor remembers every Doctor Who story ever told. Every episode, Target book, comic strip and every game of companions and TARDISes that you played as a kid. The universe he lives in has no record of it, because paradoxes and divergent dimensions and the Time War have reset things... but the Doctor remembers and sometimes when he is sad it's because you've stopped being 8 years old and he can't run around the school playground with you anymore."
- some wise soul on the internet somewhere, 2009

#35 Red

Red

All your capital are belong to us

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,239 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 09:34 AM

I agree.
Capital is dead labor, which, vampire-like, lives only by sucking living labor, and lives the more, the more labor it sucks.

#36 Lou K

Lou K

POWAH!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,749 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 02:31 AM

Loved it. Papa Midnite is fantastic. Nailed it.

Last two episodes have been great.
In the age of the internet someone's sensibility is ALWAYS being tested.

~ James

Posted Image

#37 Rogan

Rogan

Queer Eye For The Cam Whore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,483 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 12:18 PM

Right there with ya, guys. Yeah, not as good as the last, but better than the first three. Gadgets can get a bit ridiculous, but he's also showing plenty of low rent conman tricks, escapism, pickpocketing, etc. I am still wary of the soft pitching of possible spin-offs [Spectrestine: New Orleans], I'd prefer it they reserve such things for when/if the show has some strong legs to stand on. Papa Midnite was even better this time around, since he got to do some of that voodoo that he do, which was then used to show us the radical difference in character and approach to magic/faith between him and Constantine. THAT is how you do character-defining things on the network telly.
Zed's a bit incidental, still, but I can't get enough of Chas, especially the slashstick bit in the alley, when he confuses the spirit by answering the question with a question.

View PostGwilym, on 22 November 2014 - 11:26 AM, said:

Papa Midnite wears the BEST CLOTHING

If they ever do a crossover with Hannibal my eyes will corrode from sheer tailoring excellence

That is some tumblrworthy material there. Hope someone gets right to it.
Rule #1 to posting on this forum - don't take anything Rogan says personally, or seriously for that matter!
- John McMahon, Forum High Priest and "The Green Mountain Boy"

Anyway, this is a wonderful series, and I'm eternally in Rogan's debt for bringing it to my attention.
- Mike Carey, on La Bete Noire

"Yes I admit it I did occasionally think you came close to being humorous a few times."
- Electricinca, in conversation with Rogan.

#38 Balthazar

Balthazar

Token Black Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:03 PM

Man... Papa Midnite's accent is pretty awful. And I had to pause for a short bit when he started speaking Haitian Creole. Jeeez.

#39 Speedblazer

Speedblazer

Street Magician

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 12:09 AM

View PostBalthazar, on 23 December 2014 - 10:03 PM, said:

Man... Papa Midnite's accent is pretty awful. And I had to pause for a short bit when he started speaking Haitian Creole. Jeeez.
Well he's Jamaican not Haitian.

#40 Balthazar

Balthazar

Token Black Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 12:33 PM

View PostSpeedblazer, on 24 December 2014 - 12:09 AM, said:

View PostBalthazar, on 23 December 2014 - 10:03 PM, said:

Well he's Jamaican not Haitian.

My boyfriend is Jamaican and even he cringed and laughed at how bad the accent was. He was saying, "It's like the actor couldn't pick which Caribbean accent he was suppose to do, it's a mess." And I don't know, I'd think as a Vodou priest who's suppose to be highly knowledgeable in Haitian Vodou, you'd at least be able to pronounce and speak the language pretty well. But eh, is what it is.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users