181 replies to this topic

#161 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,271 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 04:28 PM

No. No, it's really not. That was right at the end, where it was "to be continued", so we shall see if it's on the positive or detrimental side of the equation.
"I wish it were fin du globe," said Dorian with a sigh.
"Life is such a great disappointment."
-Oscar Wilde

#162 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,219 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 09:04 AM

Sounds like IVX was another pointless mess of a crossover.
featherweight champion, cheap to get pissed

#163 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,271 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 06:58 PM

Oh god, yes! I remember Lou saying that A vs. X was one of the worst things he ever read....but, I'm wondering if I vs. X would have beat out A vs. X for him?
It was totally pointless and it was a total mess.
When the conceit of the story was that Cyclops had turned back the mutant cause by destroying an Inhuman terrigen cloud, which was going to kill off every mutant on the planet, there was a real problem with the plot.
Then, you had six issues of pointless fight scenes, with no plot progression. Just plain dull.
Finally, being capped off by the resolution of Medusa of the Inhumans being told that the mutants were so upset because the terrigen cloud was killing mutants, and going, "Well, why didn't anyone tell me?!".
So, the mutants never once thought of addressing their problem with the Inhumans? I was pretty sure they did mention this at one point. Plus, the Royal Family of the Inhumans is so insulated that they didn't even realize that terrigen was killing mutants? How could they miss this fact?
Yes, it was pure idiocy on every level. It was like giving a grade-school class pieces of paper and telling them to write a story where the X-Men and Inhumans start fighting, and then to explain why this was the case.
Sadly, Jeff Lemire was one of the main writers of this book that we all want to forget. Well, Lemire was also responsible for Justice League Dark #0, wasn't he? Where it was revealed that John always really wanted to be Nick Necro. Sad.

On the plus side, it does look like the X-titles and Inhumans is going to improve now with the relaunch. The new Inhumans title is going to be written by Al Ewing. Hopefully, it will be a lot better than the direction that the Inhumans have been moving, where they went from interesting characters created by Jack Kirby that I'd like to see more of, to "please, I don't want to read about the Inhumans anymore".
The X-Men titles had become almost unreadable during that time period also, even with a writer of the caliber of Lemire writing the flagship book. They look like they're going to improve with a more "back to basics" ideal.
I vs. X has been a real low-point for Marvel when a lot of their books have been quite worth buying.
-Oscar Wilde

#164 Lou K

Lou K

POWAH!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,718 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 07:10 PM

Christian, on 10 March 2017 - 06:58 PM, said:

Oh god, yes! I remember Lou saying that A vs. X was one of the worst things he ever read....but, I'm wondering if I vs. X would have beat out A vs. X for him?

Oh man I sure don't want to find out!
In the age of the internet someone's sensibility is ALWAYS being tested.

~ James

Posted Image

#165 Balthazar

Balthazar

Token Black Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 07:36 PM

I'm actually not even sure why many people continue to bother with these event books anymore. They always tend to end up being an awful waste of money.

#166 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,271 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 09:33 PM

I know. At least when event books happened in the early-1990s, even though they were awful, they usually had something big happen that changed things for the Universe. Now, it's like the events happen, and there's a tepid ending, and everything just goes on exactly as before. You don't even have to bother reading them to know what happens. "The X-Men fight the Inhumans....the Inhumans do the right thing in the end, and prove they're heroic. Time for a relaunch!".

The exception might be this Secret Empire cross-over this Spring. Nick Spencer is writing it, and it's the culmination of his long-running "Steve Rogers is secretly an agent of Hydra" story-arc. If you've been following the monthly Cap books, it seems like it would be worthwhile to read this, and chances are that it might be a better grade of cross-over book since Spencer is writing it, and basically coordinating everything, since it's his over-arcing plot.
-Oscar Wilde

#167 dogpoet

dogpoet

Fappy, the anti-masturbation dolphin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,605 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 06:55 PM

Christian, on 10 March 2017 - 06:58 PM, said:

So, the mutants never once thought of addressing their problem with the Inhumans? I was pretty sure they did mention this at one point. Plus, the Royal Family of the Inhumans is so insulated that they didn't even realize that terrigen was killing mutants? How could they miss this fact?
Probably for the same reason as they keep letting somebody called "Maximus The Mad" out of prison and trusting him to behave himself.
:wink2:
(The Royal family of Attilan have been written as breath-takingly cretinous morons since that stupid War Of Kings crossover, even if we're not having the obvious, anyway.)

#168 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,271 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 08:39 PM

Inbreeding. You know it's because of inbreeding.
-Oscar Wilde

#169 dogpoet

dogpoet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,605 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 12:17 PM

:laugh:
Most likely. You keep expecting them to introduce an Inhuman whose superpower involves playing the banjo at Burt Reynolds...

#170 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,219 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:44 AM

Fraction/Brubaker run on Iron Fist is going cheap on Comixology at the moment so picked it up, nearly done with the first trade and really enjoying it. David Aja handles most of the art and he's great but some of the flashback stuff by different artists is absolutely fantastic - especially the scenes set during World War 2.

#171 Lou K

Lou K

POWAH!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,718 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:46 AM

^ yes that is a good run
In the age of the internet someone's sensibility is ALWAYS being tested.

~ James

Posted Image

#172 A. Heathen

A. Heathen

The wisdom of Dick (Solomon)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,304 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 09:21 PM

Well that last isSue of Foolkiller was excellent.

Remember when comics looked like this and we're written like this?
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
"But that's the whole point, it's supernatural, these things happen.
It's not supposed to be realistic in that sense."

#173 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,271 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 04:02 PM

The big RessureXion relaunch has begun.
Royals #1-This is the new direction for the Inhumans, written by Al Ewing. Ewing is one of my current favourite comic writers, so if anyone can make the Inhumans interesting again, it is Ewing. If Ewing fails, then the Inhumans needs to go away for a long time.
The new direction is similar to the one that Doug Moench used when he took over writing Inhumans in the 1970s, with the Inhumans going in to space in search of their heritage.
The most interesting aspect of this direction, so far, is that Marvel Boy (the Morrison incarnation) is a main character in this book.
At least it's already more interesting than the last Inhumans reboot.

X-Men:Gold #1-This is the flagship book for the X-line, written by Marc Guggenheim. It features the core cast of X-Men, with a "back-to-basics" premise. It's really too soon to comment on the book. I didn't really get much of a feel for the book's direction, other than Guggenheim wants us very much to feel like this is a retro-style X-Men comic book. It's not exactly Chris Claremont though.
At least Marvel realized there were serious problems with both the Inhumans and X-title books, and is trying to go about rectifying those mistakes.
-Oscar Wilde

#174 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,271 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 06:56 PM

I also picked up the Star Trek/X-Men cross-over that Marvel published back in the mid-1990s. It seemed like an unlikely premise and bad idea, but it ended up not being bad, just was quite fun. It was written by Scott Lobdell. It featured the Shi'ar and Proteus, and actually didn't read as jarring as the concept sounds on paper. Still, just strange that such a comic even exists.
-Oscar Wilde

#175 dogpoet

dogpoet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,605 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 07:06 PM

And Kirk gets to demand that Scotty beams him up.
(Just as well they'd stopped calling Cyclops Slim, or that gag wouldn't have worked...)

#176 dogpoet

dogpoet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,605 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 12:31 PM

Hmmmm. Artist has his wrists slapped over jew-bashing X-Men art...
:blink:

#177 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,271 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 08:36 PM

I was wondering how they found out, because it's really hard to see what is on Colossus' shirt.
I didn't understand that 212 reference though, so now I know what that was about.

The irony is that the artist was working with a Jewish man, as Marc Guggenheim is the writer, and he's Jewish.

Apparently, prices on X-Men: Gold have sky-rocketed, with copies going for up to $40 on EBay now.
Maybe Marvel did it as a marketing ploy, since the owner of the comic book store I visit said that the comic wasn't selling very good until the controversy broke. He said he said he sold out of copies as soon as the story showed up in the media.
-Oscar Wilde

#178 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,271 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:47 PM

Secret Empire #0-So far, this cross-over is off to a good start. It seems pretty good. I'd say that the ending is so, so obvious, that everything will be hit with a reset button, and Cap won't be the leader of Hydra anymore. The only question is if Marvel is going to write Steve Rogers out, or if they'll just go back to the way things used to be, and ignore all of this.
There is some smoke and mirrors, questioning the true history versus what was really changed by the Cosmic Cube. Did the Red Skull really change Steve Rogers' history, or did he actually set history back on its original course, which was changed when the Allies developed a Cosmic Cube during World War II? I can't see Marvel sticking by the ret-con, and it's probably misdirection.
Captain America has now taken over the United States government, on behalf of SHIELD, which is now under the control of Hydra.
The secret origin of Hydra is that it goes far back before World War II, and is linked with the Illuminati. Red Skull's plans to bring about the resurgence of a Fourth Reich, carrying on from the Nazis, was just a subversion of Hydra's true intent. Hydra is a fascist organization, but their goal is to bring order and stability to the world, not to raise up a "master race" to rule the world.
It doesn't seem like a bad cross-over, as it's Nick Spencer continuing his Captain America run on a wider, blockbuster-type scale.
-Oscar Wilde

#179 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,219 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:07 AM

Reading through Annihilation Conquest care of a Comixology sale, enjoying it so far - the Starlord Dirty Dozen style mini precursor to the Guardians Of The Galaxy relaunch is ace.

#180 dogpoet

dogpoet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,605 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 05:34 PM

It was the best of those three miniseries by a mile.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users