#21 Mark

Mark

"I know it's not as good as it used to be..."

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,759 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 08:28 PM

QUOTE (Twilight @ Sep 8 2005, 09:08 PM)
Also based on its high recommendation here, I got the first Walking Dead trade. Didnt make a huge initial impression on me but it did suck me in by the ending and in typical fashion, the local comic shop has sold out of the second trade, curses!!

I enjoyed the first Walking Dead trade a lot, but it's not until the second volume that it really kicks into top gear. Good luck finding the next trade!
"As we journey through life, discarding baggage along the way, we should keep an iron grip, to the very end, on the capacity for silliness. It preserves the soul from dessication."
- Humphrey Lyttleton, 1921-2008

"The Doctor remembers every Doctor Who story ever told. Every episode, Target book, comic strip and every game of companions and TARDISes that you played as a kid. The universe he lives in has no record of it, because paradoxes and divergent dimensions and the Time War have reset things... but the Doctor remembers and sometimes when he is sad it's because you've stopped being 8 years old and he can't run around the school playground with you anymore."
- some wise soul on the internet somewhere, 2009

#22 sethos

sethos

Savior of hedgehogs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,667 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 08:45 PM

QUOTE (lyra @ Sep 8 2005, 07:01 PM)
I used to have all of the Love and Rockets in graphic novel form but my brother decided to make some money one day while I was away and sold them at a local book store. They were all limited edition autographed hardcovers.The Palomar storyline is my favorite in the Love and Rockets line but the artwork for Locas appeals to me more. I prefer this large volume collection over the scattershot past graphic novels it was hard to complete the storyline when you split each graphic novel with 3 different and distinct stories.
  I'll have to pick up number 17 of crumb as well. I bought what amazon had in stock.
  I wish my comic book store would stock some fantagraphics graphic novels it forces me not to support my local comic book store.
  i'm going to have to check out some of your graphic novel choices.

your brother must DIE. I agree with you on Jaime Hernandez'  artwork. the more recent stuff he's doing in Love& Rockets vol.2 (you can see some of it in the Dicks & Deedes collection, and the upcoming Ghosts of Hoppers collection) is even sharper.
Pigfaced wizards must die.

#23 Shawn

Shawn

conjurer of cheap tricks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 12:20 AM

Nightcrawler: The Devil Inside- Solid writing and art. Bit o Kolchak. The only good solo X-book.

Concrete: Depths-  I was disappointed about the stories being all out of order, but pure gold otherwise.

The Authority: Revolution book 1- This got me to like the Authority again. The art is decent.

B.P.R.D. Hollow Earth & A Plague of Frogs- Great stuff to satisfy the Hellboy geek in me. Guy Davis is the man.
We have more possibilities available in each moment than we realize. - Thich Nhat Hanh

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity - Edgar Allan Poe

https://twitter.com/shawn1163

#24 GenGris

GenGris

Going? soon.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,187 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 03:52 AM

Well, am trying to get my hands on whatever Sandman and HB there are over here, and there arent many...

Sandman isnt so bad, particularly since NGaiman visited (I have 3 volumes missing) but that's the reverse for HB. I only have 3... and incessant calling at the store hasnt helped....

maybe some good old Chinese style might ....
"Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
What I was walling in or walling out,
And to whom I was like to give offence."
- Frost

And perchance to sleep, and dream.....

#25 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,422 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 04:23 AM

Elektra:Assassin by Frank Miller. I'm not a fan of Elektra or ninjas, but the book was only $8 and I figured anything by Miller must be worth a dollar a comic, plus the art is fantastic.
Wow! What a shock! This was pure, classic 1980s "mature readers" comics. It pales in comparison only to "Dark Knight Returns" when it comes to Frank Miller comics, in my eyes.
The ninja and cyborg stuff held it back for me, but such a good read.

Also, "Essential Wolverine vol. 1". Eh. Haven't finished it yet. It's pretty typical 1980s Marvel comic book fare, which isn't a bad thing, but it's one of the lesser Chris Claremont works from the 1980s. The stories are good and the writing is fine, but the stories just don't pull me in.
"I wish it were fin du globe," said Dorian with a sigh.
"Life is such a great disappointment."
-Oscar Wilde

#26 lyra

lyra

scanner darkly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 04:34 AM

[/quote]

your brother must DIE. I agree with you on Jaime Hernandez'  artwork. the more recent stuff he's doing in Love& Rockets vol.2 (you can see some of it in the Dicks & Deedes collection, and the upcoming Ghosts of Hoppers collection) is even sharper.
[/quote]
Thanks for the tip about the Dicks and Deeds collection and the upcoming Ghosts of Hopper. I just ordered Dicks and Deeds and Luba comes to America along with Crumb Draws the Blues.

#27 sethos

sethos

Savior of hedgehogs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,667 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 08:54 AM

Elektra Assassin is a fantastic book. it's just amazing stuff.

#28 TheMojoPin

TheMojoPin

"Somebody's got to pay for the piano!"

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 03:35 PM

Just for the SHIELD android guy's hair alone...

#29 GenGris

GenGris

Going? soon.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,187 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 06:24 PM

Have any of you seen the "Devil May Cry" series?  Someone sent me a coupla of pages .... over YM.... and I want to find out very quickly what it is about .....

from what i was told, it sounds like this guy, Black Sparda (?I wonder if I got the name right) is the son of the devil ....
- Frost

#30 sethos

sethos

Savior of hedgehogs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,667 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 08:36 PM

QUOTE (GenGris @ Sep 9 2005, 08:24 PM)
Have any of you seen the "Devil May Cry" series?  Someone sent me a coupla of pages .... over YM.... and I want to find out very quickly what it is about .....

from what i was told, it sounds like this guy, Black Sparda (?I wonder if I got the name right) is the son of the devil ....

I don't know the manga, but I played the first Devil May Cry PS2 game (on which the manga is based) to death.  excellent stuff, though hard as nails.

#31 lyra

lyra

scanner darkly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 09:51 PM

This looks like and interesting graphic novel.

From Publishers Weekly
In 2001, French-Canadian cartoonist Delisle traveled to North Korea on a work visa to supervise the animation of a children's cartoon show for two months. While there, he got a rare chance to observe firsthand one of the last remaining totalitarian Communist societies. He also got crappy ice cream, a barrage of propaganda and a chance to fly paper airplanes out of his 15th-floor hotel window. Combining a gift for anecdote and an ear for absurd dialogue, Delisle's retelling of his adventures makes a gently humorous counterpoint to the daily news stories about the axis of evil, a Lost in Translation for the Communist world. Delisle shifts between accounts of his work as an animator and life as a visitor in a country where all foreigners take up only two floors of a 50-story hotel. Delisle's simple but expressive art works well with his account, humanizing the few North Koreans he gets to know (including "Comrade Guide" and "Comrade Translator"), and facilitating digressions into North Korean history and various bizarre happenings involving brandy and bear cubs.

#32 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,422 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 11:09 PM

hmm.....As long as it isn't too propagandistic, I would very much like to read that book. Never heard of it!

I knew someone who went to North Korea under the current regime and how bizarre it is to be there.
He was appearing as a celebrity, so he was supposed to give a big "going away" speech before he left. His guide told him, "His most glorious and most knowledgable of movies (or whatever he was referring to himself as on that day) requests that you tell all the people how wonderful it is seeing a true worker's paradise and that you wish you didn't have to go back to the awful Captailist prison known as the United States."
The guy said "Thanks for having me. You're great people." and took off for the plane as fast as he could run.
icon_lol.gif
"I wish it were fin du globe," said Dorian with a sigh.
"Life is such a great disappointment."
-Oscar Wilde

#33 TheMojoPin

TheMojoPin

"Somebody's got to pay for the piano!"

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 02:35 AM

Something about this little chunk of North Korea creeps me the fuck out.

#34 lyra

lyra

scanner darkly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 02:53 AM

It reminds me of a termite hill.
I remember reading that some foreigners staying at the hotel noted there were no old people in Pyongyang. The next day an old woman appeared and walked past the hotel this continued as a sort of daily ritual. You have to receive special permission to stay within the city which is exclusive to party members. I guess old people are not allowed in the city.

#35 Hmpf

Hmpf

Street Magician

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 08:17 PM

QUOTE (TheMojoPin @ Sep 10 2005, 03:35 AM)

Here's some more totalitarian architectue to be baffled and creeped out by. Oddly enough, it was also intended as a kind of hotel. It was intended as a nazi holiday camp thingy in Prora on the island of Rügen, in the Baltic Sea. It's 8 km long:

http://www.ddr-im-www.de/Berichte/MWulf/Prora/prora2.jpg

http://www.ddr-im-www.de/Berichte/MWulf/Prora/prora3.jpg

Another pic

I've been there - it's huge, empty, and creepy.

The Korean hotel pic, btw, looks like something out of my dreams/nightmares. It's weird - just yesterday night I made a list of imagery from comics, animation, movies and books that gives me a strong 'this has something to do with my subconscious' vibe, and mammoth empty buildings were one of the bits of imagery I came up with. That's what I like about comics like Blame, Les Cités Obscures, and others.

#36 lyra

lyra

scanner darkly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 04:24 PM

picked up quite a few Joe Sacco graphic novels yesterday after reading his Palestine.
"Safe Area Gorazde: The War in Eastern Bosnia 1992-1995"

"Notes from a Defeatist"
"War's End: Profiles From Bosnia 1995-1996"

The Fixer : A Story from Sarajevo

That east german apartment complex looks like a giant medieval city wall.

#37 sethos

sethos

Savior of hedgehogs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,667 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 09:34 PM

Safe Area Gorazde is a fantastic book, depressing as hell though: it's hard to take in some of the things people do to each other...

#38 GenGris

GenGris

Going? soon.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,187 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 02:52 AM

Thanks Seth.  
Yes, I was told that the game was interesting but having two left hands (or so I think sometimes), games that require too much hand-eye coordination are tough for me to play.

And I finally got another HB trade so hard to get them here.
I got Holy Sepulcher and Rake at the Gates of Hell... and another Sandman - The one with the 7 Endless stories.  I just realized that Destruction was drawn what a Hunk would look like ....
- Frost

#39 Spain

Spain

Iesvs Nazarenvs Rex Zombie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,019 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 10:45 AM

This was a present I gave to my girlfriend, but she has lent them to me:

Blacksad, both volumes. Pure gold. It's like an Orwellian Bogart.
Ridli Scott- Where's your spirit, boy?
J. Konstantin- I lost it in a brothel at Newcastle...

Here is my blog for the bored ones. New! Some posts are in English! And my comic blog.

#40 Oldmoore

Oldmoore

Exorcist

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 03:37 PM

wolverine enemy of the state Volume one

Art isn´t mine favourite. Senior Romita was better. Storylineplot (Wolvie´s mission) was like creating the wheel new! But how he got there was quite interesting.
One of the X´s dies by his claws (But for how long?) but lot a involved for a Wovlerine solo! CAP, Nick Fury, Iron Man, Hydra, Daredevil Elektra etc.

Somehow I liked it. Maybe it´s the paranoid discussion in Wolverine´s thoughts!
Remembers me also a lot based on elements of the x 2 movie or better to say a few ideas mixed up.

Coming soon the next TPB (because it´s an 12 issues series) and I just read Vol 1.

To complete it I´m going to read the Volume Two also! Could be worse but I don´t hope so!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users