866 replies to this topic

#41 James

James

Chinese bakery

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,706 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 12:04 AM

That's why I hate buying them. If I go for leather, I end up with a cow on each foot.

#42 wolvy

wolvy

Sometimes... you just gotta do IT.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,130 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 12:07 AM

I hate Clothe shopping because when I go. I go with my grandma and she takes HOURS looking ang trying on random crap. Usually when I buy something. I KNOW what i want, I see it, I grab it, I buy, end of journey.  Unless I'm shopping for back issues or trades at a comic-con..

Anyways. I really like the way Kirkman is going with this book. I really want to see if or how the girl became a zombie.
One Step ahead of the curve.

#43 wolfram

wolfram

Demon Constantine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 12:28 AM

So that's *not* our recently-gunshot galpal on the cover? *blink* Coulda fooled me. That's one thing I'm not liking---the B&W. Sometimes it makes it hard for me to distinguish things. Like, for two issues I was confused about whether or not in certain scenes they were showing the old guy who's shacking up with the young girl in the RV, or the old farmer man. And when there were three blondes in the cast, forget it. But I have issues with big casts. I get everyone all mixed up.

ETA: OK, on second look, I guess they do have different hairstyles---although it could be her braids just blowing in a different direction.
She turned on the knockoff mp3 player she’d gotten at the oriental open market and started cutting. Wide swaths of damp cloth fell beneath her cut. Yards of cotton-lycra-poly blends disassembled with each slit beneath the sharp open mouth of the scissors. Frankie was a seamstress in reverse.
Once her present had been stripped of its wrapping, bow and paper all carefully set aside, Frankie began the second process. She dampened the sponge in a small metallic bowl full of water, rinsed the excess, and meticulously washed away the half-dried blood like Christ cleaned sins. The pattern of "oral exsanguination" was apparent immediately from the manner of the spread. Wet hands, wet from face to crotch.

#44 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,251 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 10:10 AM

QUOTE (wolvy @ Jan 10 2005, 12:07 AM)
Usually when I buy something. I KNOW what i want, I see it, I grab it, I buy, end of journey.

For this is indeed how Men shop!

Granted the result is usally a dodgy wardrobe of ill-fitting clothes but sure we are what we are.

I think the only thing missing from the Walking Dead was a dreadlocked, katana wielding woman with zombie slaves so that's all the bases covered now.
featherweight champion, cheap to get pissed

#45 Rogan

Rogan

Queer Eye For The Cam Whore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,483 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 09:39 PM

QUOTE (JohnMcMahon @ Jan 11 2005, 11:10 AM)
For this is indeed how Men shop!
Granted the result is usally a dodgy wardrobe of ill-fitting clothes but sure we are what we are.

heh... that commenty made me think of Tim from Spaced...
Rule #1 to posting on this forum - don't take anything Rogan says personally, or seriously for that matter!
- John McMahon, Forum High Priest and "The Green Mountain Boy"

Anyway, this is a wonderful series, and I'm eternally in Rogan's debt for bringing it to my attention.
- Mike Carey, on La Bete Noire

"Yes I admit it I did occasionally think you came close to being humorous a few times."
- Electricinca, in conversation with Rogan.

#46 King Mob

King Mob

Trenchcoat Brigade

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 10:36 PM

Bought the second trade today!

And some hick's just shot poor carl!  ohmy.gif

Quick, next page!

#47 Mark

Mark

"I know it's not as good as it used to be..."

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,759 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 10:40 PM

Kirkman really is pulling off some of the most effective cliffhangers I've ever read, month on month. I enjoyed reading the first two trades, but I'm really digging how this reads monthly. Definitely the best way to read it, inconsistent publishing schedule aside.
"As we journey through life, discarding baggage along the way, we should keep an iron grip, to the very end, on the capacity for silliness. It preserves the soul from dessication."
- Humphrey Lyttleton, 1921-2008

"The Doctor remembers every Doctor Who story ever told. Every episode, Target book, comic strip and every game of companions and TARDISes that you played as a kid. The universe he lives in has no record of it, because paradoxes and divergent dimensions and the Time War have reset things... but the Doctor remembers and sometimes when he is sad it's because you've stopped being 8 years old and he can't run around the school playground with you anymore."
- some wise soul on the internet somewhere, 2009

#48 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,251 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 11:40 PM

Yeah - to pick the Carl shooting that Mob just touched on - when that happened at the end of whatever issue it was I was totally taken aback and gagging for the next chapter and that wait between issues just added to the sense of anticipation.  

The shooting really came from nowhere, especially as it followed on from the crew suffering a fatality earlier in that issue and the the fact that it was following on from another corking cliffhanger ("All dead").

#49 Mark

Mark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,759 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 11:55 PM

I wish I'd jumped onto this title earlier, but then again, the trades are very cheap. Swings, roundabouts...

I liked the hints he made in the letters page (a letters page! An honest-to-God letters page! Why did DC get rid of them - why?) about what's coming up. 'Bad' survivors...obvious but still appealing. I'm looking forward to some tension with the prisoners (and I'd give good odds on at least one of them not being what he seems - the most likely bet right now would be the nerdy tax fraud guy, but that may well be a double bluff), and the "we're not even close to the WAR yet" teaser on the final letter page has me frothing at the crotch in anticipation.
"As we journey through life, discarding baggage along the way, we should keep an iron grip, to the very end, on the capacity for silliness. It preserves the soul from dessication."

"The Doctor remembers every Doctor Who story ever told. Every episode, Target book, comic strip and every game of companions and TARDISes that you played as a kid. The universe he lives in has no record of it, because paradoxes and divergent dimensions and the Time War have reset things... but the Doctor remembers and sometimes when he is sad it's because you've stopped being 8 years old and he can't run around the school playground with you anymore."

#50 King Mob

King Mob

Trenchcoat Brigade

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 08:26 AM

The 'All Dead' cliffhanger was fantastic. Beautifully done. And I really did not see Carl's shooting coming at all. I was quite honestly open mouthed when I was reading it on the train home.

Finished the trade now though, and they've just discovered the clink  biggrin.gif yum!

#51 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,251 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 10:16 AM

In the letters page for #12, Kirkman says that the prison will be the crew's long-term home, just to assure any fears that trade readers may have had of them jumping from setting to setting.

Now, were those prisoners really using the freezer as a makeshift bathroom....?

#52 wolvy

wolvy

Sometimes... you just gotta do IT.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,130 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 10:37 PM

Yes..lol
One Step ahead of the curve.

#53 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,251 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 10:12 AM

I remain unconvinced and wondering what they made their meatloaf out of.

#54 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,251 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 04:15 PM

The first Walking Dead trade was the ninth highest ordered trade of the year through Diamond.

#55 sethos

sethos

Savior of hedgehogs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,667 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 04:31 PM

QUOTE (JohnMcMahon @ Jan 15 2005, 05:15 PM)
The first Walking Dead trade was the ninth highest ordered trade of the year through Diamond.

that's pretty impressive.
Pigfaced wizards must die.

#56 Mark

Mark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,759 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 05:11 PM

QUOTE (JohnMcMahon @ Jan 12 2005, 11:16 AM)
Now, were those prisoners really using the freezer as a makeshift bathroom....?

Not a chance. At least, I'd be very surprised if that doesn't factor into a 'reveal' of some sort a few issues down the line...

#57 Claire

Claire

Nick Necro's Boyfriend

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 08:20 PM

Got me some Walking Dead the other day. Settling down to read it this afternoon.

#58 Mark

Mark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,759 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 11:44 PM

Hope you enjoy it. What did you get...the first trade?

#59 Max Eisenberg

Max Eisenberg

Trenchcoat Brigade

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 02:11 AM

QUOTE (wolvy @ Nov 30 2004, 10:11 PM)
I heard his Captain America was also pretty good, and so was his "Team #1" with Spider-man an Wolverine.

I personally enjoy The Walking Dead, and Am infact thinking about getting a Poster of one of the issues.

His Cap blew monkeys, but we forgive him because WALKING DEAD is irresistible.

#60 Claire

Claire

Nick Necro's Boyfriend

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 09:09 AM

QUOTE (Mark @ Jan 15 2005, 11:44 PM)
Hope you enjoy it. What did you get...the first trade?

Nope, they'd sold out of the first trade. Got the second trade, and issues #13 and #14. I might actually be disiplined and not read them until I get the first trade. Would it spoil things too much if I start reading the second trade?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users