#41 sethos

sethos

Savior of hedgehogs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,667 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 09:14 AM

QUOTE (wolvy @ Jan 9 2005, 08:25 AM)
I saw the begening. But missed it a 2nd time!! I was at the part where Superman talks to The Atom, And then right after that I had to go eat dinenr and missed all the funny quips and good stuff. Damnit. Hopefully it will be on again.

I loved the fact that Ellis managed to get away with Wonderwoman keeping the Atom in her cleavage, biggrin.gif
Pigfaced wizards must die.

#42 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,279 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 02:53 PM

QUOTE (jaynova @ Jan 9 2005, 07:09 AM)
Agreed on the story, but I liked the art!

For the most part I thought it was fine but there were a couple of panels - the shot of the Atomikwotists all together looked like a barely legible smudge and some of the backgrounds, in partiular the building on the last page looked shit.

The highlight of the Ellis JLU episode was the first scene that the Atom was in - it was textbook Ellis.
featherweight champion, cheap to get pissed

#43 James

James

Chinese bakery

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,706 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 03:49 PM

What happened? Does anyone know if it's being shown in Britain?

#44 wolvy

wolvy

Sometimes... you just gotta do IT.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,132 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 09:16 PM

"I"m going to lay here awhile Katie.. I'm old.. I get tired."

The Atom is the Luckiest guy on earth.. He was inbetween  Wonder Womans boobs. And if i'm right. Diana is suposed to the PERFECT woman.. Looks wise.
One Step ahead of the curve.

#45 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,279 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 09:45 PM

Wolvy quoted the bit I was talking about - after a scrap with some fiesty bacteria, the Atom tries to take a breather and spouts some typical Ellis dialogue.  There's a funny bit later on with Batman - think I mentioned it at the start of this thread.

Don't think the series has hit the UK yet.

#46 wolvy

wolvy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,132 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 10:03 PM

I need air support or back up...Now..Seeing as how I Cant fly
Something like that. I missed that part, but a friend of mine told me about it.

#47 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,422 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 10:47 PM

Yes, I liked the Batman characterization. He was falling to his death and still calm!

Wonder Woman was an S&M bondage fantasy creation. Far from perfect though, as she has a man's body with boobs!

Anyway, the plot was a spaceship crash lands on Earth and makes replicating nanotechnology robots which can't be stopped. Eventually, they would overwhelm the Earth. The JLA gets called in, and needs to find a way to stop it. The Silver Age Atom gets called in.
I think that's a nice plot summary without spoilers.
"I wish it were fin du globe," said Dorian with a sigh.
"Life is such a great disappointment."
-Oscar Wilde

#48 wolvy

wolvy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,132 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 10:52 PM

If you think Wonder Woman has a Mans body. You should read Rucka's WW. She is not only HOT, but badass to the xtreme.

I missed a few episodes. The Booster Gold one, The one with Hawk an Dove, and the Final episode with Grundy. Oh an I missed the rest of the "Sins of the Youth" episode too.

#49 Josh

Josh

Golden Child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,280 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 10:50 AM

QUOTE (JohnMcMahon @ Jan 1 2005, 12:19 PM)
Yeah, bit like shooting  fish in a barrell when it comes to slagging Ellis' love of technobullshit - Iron Man is full of it, and it often veers dangerously close to a parody of Ellis wallowing in his excesses but like I said, it all seems to come together somehow - at least for me anyway!

Ellis is the one comic writer I can think of who has the technochops to really write a young tech company CEO/inventor.  He gets his jive from extensive reading it looks like, and I'd be very surprised if he hasn't spent a bit of his time reading interviews of important tech industry figures.

#50 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,279 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 10:59 AM

Oh yeah, the problem isn't that Warren doesn't know his stuff - it's that he (and more importantly, the characters he writes) won't shut up about knowing it!

And just cause it still gives me a grin -

Batman (while falling through the air) : I need air support.

Batman : Now.

Batman : On account of not being able to fly.

Batman : At all.

#51 Josh

Josh

Golden Child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,280 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 01:35 PM

I read Invincible Iron Man #2 for the second time and I'm impressed by how well-balanced the issue is.  It has a love interest, corporate intrigue (Stark's board trying gain control over his company so it can do moneymaking stuff he's opposed to), the conversation complete with Ellisian tech and mind-alteration contemplations, insight into the characters, and the antics of the ultra-violent "enhancile".  Quite a bit happens in this issue (at least two subplots, character development, action), showing that the Master of Decompression is capable of giving us a full book's read when he really wants to.

To be honest I'm happy that Ellis will only be doing 6 issues on the book.  I think he decompresses when he's working on too many books at one time, because plot and dialogue are harder and longer to write then decompression.  Six issues may be as long as he could focus on this title without shorting its writing for another title.  I'm not saying I'm not apprehensive that the next writer might fuck up this very nice-looking thing that Ellis is putting together, however.  But if there are six good issues on this title, so be it, I'll enjoy them.

#52 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,279 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 07:02 PM

Apparently Iron Man #3 won't be out till the middle of April!

#53 wolvy

wolvy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,132 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 10:43 PM

Writer delays or Artist Delays?

Hopefully #2 doesnt end with a massive cliffhanger..

#54 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,422 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 11:38 PM

The book was originally on a 6-week solicitation status anyway.
I'm sure it's artist delays.

Josh-A lot of the stuff you mention about "Iron Man" #2, I've seen countless times in the "Iron Man" series. There wasn't anything very original in what did happen. That could be a problem for me as a long-time Iron Man reader.
"I wish it were fin du globe," said Dorian with a sigh.
"Life is such a great disappointment."
-Oscar Wilde

#55 Lou K

Lou K

POWAH!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,818 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 12:11 AM

I dunno...I was pretty impressed with the unarmed man taking on a whole FBI building. The art looked great, especially when he would land punches and splatter people's faces.

QUOTE (JohnMcMahon @ Jan 16 2005, 02:02 PM)
Apparently Iron Man #3 won't be out till the middle of April!

What the fuck? Bummer...
In the age of the internet someone's sensibility is ALWAYS being tested.

~ James

Posted Image

#56 Rogan

Rogan

Queer Eye For The Cam Whore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,483 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 01:45 AM

I just read Angel Stomp Future and Simon Spectre, and they are both good, actually... wouldn't mind seeing more of these, but not as an ongoing series, but perhaps a few miniseries...
Rule #1 to posting on this forum - don't take anything Rogan says personally, or seriously for that matter!
- John McMahon, Forum High Priest and "The Green Mountain Boy"

Anyway, this is a wonderful series, and I'm eternally in Rogan's debt for bringing it to my attention.
- Mike Carey, on La Bete Noire

"Yes I admit it I did occasionally think you came close to being humorous a few times."
- Electricinca, in conversation with Rogan.

#57 Rogan

Rogan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,483 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 09:53 PM

from Warren Ellis's BAD SIGNAL :

For those of you keeping track at home, the script for PLANETARY #23 went in last week.  It's called "Percussion", and it's about The Drummer.  It's also about what Elijah Snow is really up to.  #22, by the way, explains why Elijah hasn't been telling certain people he has William Leather in custody -- John told me the other day that that issue is at the printers.

I'm into the fourth IRON MAN script now -- I've been deliberately staying just a script ahead of Adi Granov, so I can keep tuning the script to his strengths as I discover them.  Rich Johnston tells me there's some stink about the solicitation schedule on IRON MAN being extended again, and all I can tell you is that it's news to Adi and I.  Adi's going slower than he expected because he's trying to get it right, and I think maybe I broke him by making the first episode 32pp long, but we're moving along.  As I said to Rich, it sounds like bad information to me. And the pages are gorgeous.

And to forestall any more email on the subject: no, there are no second issues of any of the Apparat books. I thought you all understood that. The four books were it.  William at Avatar has tried to get an Apparat 2 out of me, but I don't think I have it in me right now.  I'm just happy I did it at all, at this point.  I haven't seen the printed books yet, and feedback was light, but I'm glad they exist. No matter the source of their inspiration, they were original works, and original works are necessary.

I need to go and see if I can turn DEAD CHANNEL into a novella now.

Rule #1 to posting on this forum - don't take anything Rogan says personally, or seriously for that matter!

Anyway, this is a wonderful series, and I'm eternally in Rogan's debt for bringing it to my attention.

"Yes I admit it I did occasionally think you came close to being humorous a few times."

#58 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,279 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 10:05 PM

Um...you guys are on a six weekly schedule and Adi hasn't finished the third issue yet ?  Seems like 4/5 of everything Warren does ends up with coming out late - maybe that's down to his choice or artists or his inability to furnish them with the scripts on time.

#59 Rogan

Rogan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,483 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 10:08 PM

no, no, John, you don't get it - he is actually just playing to their strenghts. It's just that their strenghts mostly consist of finishing late when working with WE... icon_razz.gif

EDIT :

Oh, and Quit City wasn't half bad, actually.

#60 Lou K

Lou K

POWAH!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,818 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 11:35 PM

Bummer about no Apparat 2. Those more than anything need some more stories.
In the age of the internet someone's sensibility is ALWAYS being tested.

~ James

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users